Slash and Burn ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Second. I have complete convidence in Iger. The man is no fool and he did not get where he is by not being someone who is motivated by more than the prestige (and dollars) the job brings. He got the job because he "gets it". Probably more than anyone else at TWDC.

Uhm ... ah ... yeah ... uhm ... uh ... well, no.

Iger doesn't get it. And the longer he keeps his position the less inclined I am to think he was a great choice to replace Eisner.

He knows television that's for sure. Beyond that ... well, the jury is out.

Not being Eisner won him a good year or two of blind good will by the fan community ... buying Pixar won him a good few months of blind good will by the investment community.

I'm not blind and the company is hurting in more than just P&R.

It also seems that Iger would rather choke on pride and cost his company billions than admitting his mistakes (or his underlings) both in China (Shanghai DL anyone?) and elsewhere.

Like I said ... not a big fan these days.

lightboy

It's quite self-explanatory, actually :lookaroun

And I'm laughing.

A bread bowl was a great example. I also looked forward to this.

Yep...small things...but everything IS noticed. And it's the combination of all that dictate the outcome of a product as a whole.

With all due respect to everyone else, it sometimes IS hard to see beyond the "magic" smoke screens at Disney that make it such a wonderful place.

Err...uh...oops, that's just me forgetting to turn off the fogger.

:ROFLOL:

(It really is unique and special in its own way though.)

jt04

Uhm ... ah ... yeah ... uhm ... uh ... well, no.

Iger doesn't get it. And the longer he keeps his position the less inclined I am to think he was a great choice to replace Eisner.

He knows television that's for sure. Beyond that ... well, the jury is out.

Not being Eisner won him a good year or two of blind good will by the fan community ... buying Pixar won him a good few months of blind good will by the investment community.

I'm not blind and the company is hurting in more than just P&R.

It also seems that Iger would rather choke on pride and cost his company billions than admitting his mistakes (or his underlings) both in China (Shanghai DL anyone?) and elsewhere.

Like I said ... not a big fan these days.

The jury is not out.

I actually was buying into the slant by others on this board (and by some stuff I agree with you on) that you are on to something, but now, not so much. I mean you are ranting endlessly on a web forum. :brick:please let us all know once you get an editorial or something in the spotlight. Until then........

Yawn :snore:

WDW1974

Original Poster
The jury is not out.

Uhm, actually ... well, it is. Unless you're speaking of a jury of one being yourself.

There are some folks in major media circles who are saying the same thing.

I don't think you can fully judge the man on three years (especially since much of what took place his first year had been set in motion before he took over officially).

I actually was buying into the slant by others on this board (and by some stuff I agree with you on) that you are on to something, but now, not so much. I mean you are ranting endlessly on a web forum. :brick:please let us all know once you get an editorial or something in the spotlight. Until then........

Yawn :snore:

Well, you seem entertained enough to always have a comment, which clearly means I am not boring you because you see fit to read and post.
Unless you like wasting your time?

ttalovebug

Thanks. Yet another poster feels he/she knows what I am thinking.

I'm glad Monty is a positive guy. Being a Canadian likely helps!:)

And I want him and everyone who visits WDW to have a great time. ... BUT ... and there is a J-Lo sized butt here (or has she shed some pounds lately?) ... I wouldn't want people to say 'you know I don't care if none of the effects work on Everest, I'll still love it' ... or 'you know, I don't care if the MK is dirty ... people are pigs and you can't expect Disney to clean up after them' ... or how about 'Disney is perfect just the way it is right now, I don't ever want to see Disney add or change anything in any of the parks.'

Do you see where I am going?

If you're happy ... mindlessly so (and I am not speaking of Monty, you're the one who brought him and myself together in your lovely post) then Disney can let the parks fall apart, grow stale, become dirty and ... well, you're just a positive dude and everything's OK.

That, is a 'tude I have a problem with from anyone claiming to be a fan.

That, isn't the same as someone enjoying Everest even if say the Yeti isn't working right. Or someone who sees eight great things for every two lousy ones, not focusing on the bad. ... I understand those 'tudes and respect them.

Someone saying 'because I don't give a damn whether the yeti ever works, no one else should or Disney shouldn't fix it' would again be a 'tude I'd take issue with.

That's not what I meant. That's not how I see things at WDW, most of the time I agree with you and what you state in your posts. And I agree with everything said here, except for your assumption about my " 'tude". It's just getting a little heavy in here, that's all. I wasn't attacking your way of thinking, and I'm sorry if I was misunderstood.

jt04

Uhm, actually ... well, it is. Unless you're speaking of a jury of one being yourself.

There are some folks in major media circles who are saying the same thing.

I don't think you can fully judge the man on three years (especially since much of what took place his first year had been set in motion before he took over officially).

Well, you seem entertained enough to always have a comment, which clearly means I am not boring you because you see fit to read and post.
Unless you like wasting your time?

I think I feel sorry for you actually.

It is almost (almost) comical they way you keep circling around to the same point. If you are not getting responded to you engage in never ending diatribes and personal attacks to get a response and then say, "I am relevant because you are responding". So I am not sure if you elicit contempt or pity from me. Probably the latter.

And you are right about one thing you can't fully judge the man after three years but that does not seem to be stopping you.

agent86

This is likely my last post on EE for a bit because, frankly, I just don't have much more to say ... And I agree, for the most part, with all of the above EXCEPT the idea that EE is DAK's signature attraction. It isn't. KS is and KS is a terrific, high quality, immersive Disney adventure in the best sense of the words. I guess you can call it DAK's signature thrill ride ... and I could see why some people unfamiliar with the park might find it to be the 'big deal' at DAK due to Disney marketing it to death.

But whether people take in the detail or not, I'm certainly glad it's there. Just like I'm glad the props are in the BTMRR queue ... or all of the details in the Hollywood Tower Hotel or in countless other locales at WDW. They are the details that set Disney apart.

Again, I think many people miss out on most of them as they just want to 'ride the rides' ... and that's OK. I'm just glad they are there.

I don't feel EE succeeds as well as some of the other bigtime Disney attractions, but it at least tries to ... comparing it to DD you have a nice (albeit a bit overrated) queue and then a kewl coaster that looks like it could be located at any park USA. Then you have something like the Matterhorn at DL, which has no real queue, little backstory and theming, but oodles of history and nostalgia ... and you have something like California Screamin ... a fun family coaster that looks like a coaster at any park USA and has a plain queue that screams out SIX FLAGS.

I think people enjoy all three rides, I know I do ... but I feel EE is closer to 'total package' of all the elements needed. No, it isn't great. But compared to every other attraction opened at WDW in the past decade, in comes closest to being so.

It would be nice if some of the other posters on this site were this honest about Everest. You say you just enjoy riding it, and for the most part so do I. But what just gets me is when I see people on here describing it like it's a phenomenal attraction, or when I see people ranking it high on their lists of favorites. Certainly, to each his own and whatever people want to enjoy (or even what they want to consider their favorite) is up to them. But when people start talking it up, using words like "amazing" and "spectacular effects" (which, to date, no one has been able to give examples of), and when they try to suggest it's in the same league as so many of Disney's truly impressive attractions (or many of Universal's too for that matter)...well then I just have to say to them, "You've GOT to be kidding me."

But at least you're just stating that it's a ride that can be enjoyed, just not a spectacular Disney attraction in a true sense. That, at least, is a post that can be respected.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would be nice if some of the other posters on this site were this honest about Everest.
Oh we are. A fun ride, but the biggest missed opportunity since when they had a perfect Tomorrowland. Or could have had a longer Pirates. Or could have completely refurbed Horizons. Or could have had a fully themed test track. Or could have built a killer UoE. Or could have had Mt Fuji built for them. Or could have had a Sunset Blvd full of attractions. Or could have had Beastly Kingdomme....

Horizonsfan

Oh we are. A fun ride, but the biggest missed opportunity since when they had a perfect Tomorrowland. Or could have had a longer Pirates. Or could have completely refurbed Horizons. Or could have had a fully themed test track. Or could have built a killer UoE.

I've never heard about when Pirates, TT, & UOE had the chance to be incredible, when was that? Especially pirates, how would you make it longer, other than having people ride back up the ramp to the loading area?

Lee

Adventurer
Especially pirates, how would you make it longer, other than having people ride back up the ramp to the loading area?
Yep. That was the most recent missed opportunity to make it longer(better).
The other was when it was first designed for MK, leaving out half the original (superior) DL version.

jt04

The other was when it was first designed for MK, leaving out half the original (superior) DL version.

HALF? Now I definitely have to go to Disneyland.

*counts change*

GenerationX

Yes, PotC at DLR is far superior to the WDW version with the exception of the queue (WDW's is much better).

EE is a great ride that could be greater. Most rides at WDW are great rides that could be improved. Many rides have improved over the years. Two song lyrics pop to mind that describe the source of some of the disagreements in attitudes here better than I could:

"It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got." - Sheryl Crow

"If you took all the girls I knew when I was single, and got them all together for one night.
I know they'd never match my sweet imagination, because everything looks worse in black and white."
- Paul Simon

The ongoing conflict between dreamers and realists has been on this board since I joined and continues to go strong!

As for the MK at $70/day - if that's what the market will bear, that's why the price is set there. Simple economics.

Horizonsfan

The biggest mistake was definately when they first made the FL copy and left out most of the grotto. I guess I just thought Martin was referring to some ambitious plan from the Disney Decade or some other, later time.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It would be nice if some of the other posters on this site were this honest about Everest. You say you just enjoy riding it, and for the most part so do I. But what just gets me is when I see people on here describing it like it's a phenomenal attraction, or when I see people ranking it high on their lists of favorites. Certainly, to each his own and whatever people want to enjoy (or even what they want to consider their favorite) is up to them. But when people start talking it up, using words like "amazing" and "spectacular effects" (which, to date, no one has been able to give examples of), and when they try to suggest it's in the same league as so many of Disney's truly impressive attractions (or many of Universal's too for that matter)...well then I just have to say to them, "You've GOT to be kidding me."

But at least you're just stating that it's a ride that can be enjoyed, just not a spectacular Disney attraction in a true sense. That, at least, is a post that can be respected.
I still don't understand.... I'm reasonably sure I've never personally used any reference to spectacular effects [except perhaps in response to others' discussion of same], but I'll happily state that I find EE to be a phenomenal attraction. My son and I both rank the attraction as our number one favourite attraction at Disney [we haven't been to Universal yet, but intend to in 2010]. And you wanna know a secret? I'm not kidding you! :eek:

The reality that you seem incapable of grasping is that other people's opinions can and will differ from yours and they're not wrong! Opinions are formed based on the experience and background available to the individual forming them and as a result, despite that you may disagree with my opinion it is still an opinion I have developed based on my personal framework and as a result you're unlikely to change it. :D

Oh, and have a magical day! :wave:

imagineer boy

...Like getting rid of the bread soup bowls at the Columbia Harvest House. I know it's a small thing, but it was a little thing my wife looked forward to having at MK.

Ah, for me that small thing would be the zip a dee dooh dah tip for today. It simply wouldn't be WDW until you walked into the hotel room and turned on the tv to the tip for today.:( Aside from the fact that the hostesses are hot, I really hate the top 7. Strange how those small things affect your experience.

Second. I have complete convidence in Iger. The man is no fool and he did not get where he is by not being someone who is motivated by more than the prestige (and dollars) the job brings. He got the job because he "gets it". Probably more than anyone else at TWDC.

I wouldn't really say I have complete confidence in Iger. He's certainly a hell of a lot better than Eisner and thank god he bought Pixar, but he's not the savior of the company. I'd certianly gain a ton of confidence in him if he fired all of the WDW execs and hired ones with true creative vision like Joe Rhode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom