Slash and Burn ...

Wilt Dasney

Case in point: Admission prices get raised, entertainment offerings get cut.

That can't be Walmarting - Walmart lowers prices while lowering quality.

Call it what it really is, highway robbery. But we all know we're getting our pants sucked dry when we go to WDW. That's no revelation or anything.

Heh. Good point. If WDW were really analogous to Wal-Mart, park admission would be about 10 bucks and all the shops would have clearance bins stacked with randomly assorted $5 DVDs. The parking attendants would also offer you a $20 oil change while you walked around the park.

By that definition, this "Wal-Marting" doesn't sound so bad to me. :lookaroun

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Heh. Good point. If WDW were really analogous to Wal-Mart, park admission would be about 10 bucks and all the shops would have clearance bins stacked with randomly assorted $5 DVDs. The parking attendants would also offer you a $20 oil change while you walked around the park.

By that definition, this "Wal-Marting" doesn't sound so bad to me. :lookaroun
Oh, but imagine the state of the bathrooms in that scenario! :zipit: :dazzle:

maggiegrace1

Case in point: Admission prices get raised, entertainment offerings get cut.

That can't be Walmarting - Walmart lowers prices while lowering quality.

Call it what it really is, highway robbery. But we all know we're getting our pants sucked dry when we go to WDW. That's no revelation or anything.
Am I the only one that feels like Disney does not "suck my pants dry"?

I always feel like I am getting my moneys worth while I am there..:shrug:

wvdisneyfamily

No, you are definitely not alone. You can't put a price tag on what Disney makes me feel or the countless memories I have with my family, especially my husband.

Wilt Dasney

Even when you pay $10 for a burger, fries and Coke that would cost you a third of the amount (and be about as good) at McDonalds? Or better yet, when you buy ACTUAL McDonalds fries for about three times as much as they cost at McDonalds?

(Not trying to be confrontational, I'm just really curious. If you avoid that stuff and stick to "real food," I withdraw the question.) :lol:

Mr.EPCOT

Perhaps if Lasseter was in charge of all creative operations of the WDC with someone else in charge of financial operations who understands the Disney vision and doesn't cut corners. That would be an amazing combination.

That does seem to be the golden formula for operating this Company. Walt probably wouldn't have even gotten as far as creating Mickey Mouse if it hadn't had been for his brother Roy providing the financial yin to Walt's creative yang. And the same seems to be the case with Michael Eisner (creative figurehead) and Frank Wells (financial). I don't think it's coincidence that a lot of the decline in quality started in the mid-90s around when Frank Wells died. Not saying that Eisner is blame, per se, but just that Disney seems to thrive when there are two in charge like that.

JWG

Well, I think we've clearly determined that your enjoyment of Disney and your cost to fun ratio is determined in age groupings.

00 - 01 Visits 00-10 Years Old: Disney is best thing every can do no wrong
02 - 05 Visits 11-19 Years Old: Disney is swell, love it will always come back, but pick up the garbage please
06 - 10 Visits 20-29 Years Old: Disney is decent, not as good as it was, but fun.
11 - 19 Visits 30-39 Years Old: Not at all what it was, but a great family destination and while not a great "value" still good for the family
20+ Visits 40+ Years Old: Disney = Wal-Mart

:D

Mr.EPCOT

Well, I think we've clearly determined that your enjoyment of Disney and your cost to fun ratio is determined in age groupings.

02 - 05 Visits 11-19 Years Old: Disney is swell, love it will always come back, but pick up the garbage please
06 - 10 Visits 20-29 Years Old: Disney is decent, not as good as it was, but fun.
11 - 19 Visits 30-39 Years Old: Not at all what it was, but a great family destination and while not a great "value" still good for the family

I'm 24, and I wouldn't fit into your little grid at all.

ttalovebug

:confused:

maggiegrace1

Even when you pay $10 for a burger, fries and Coke that would cost you a third of the amount (and be about as good) at McDonalds? Or better yet, when you buy ACTUAL McDonalds fries for about three times as much as they cost at McDonalds?

(Not trying to be confrontational, I'm just really curious. If you avoid that stuff and stick to "real food," I withdraw the question.) :lol:
I never get McDonalds food because I am not fond of McDonalds at all in general..but we do eat at CS and the price never seems to bother me..:shrug:

I am 36 and have gone at least once a year sometimes 2- 3 times a year since I was 2 years old and I love it more and more every year...:shrug:

JWG

It was a joke people. Hence the big grinning green face. This thread has been riddled with "you only like it because you're too young to remember" or "your frame of reference is off because" etc.

Joke, joke, joke. There are 21 year olds who hate the place and 90 year olds who think it's the best place ever. No doubt.

<sigh> So serious all the time :shrug: </sigh>

ttalovebug

It was a joke people. Hence the big grinning green face. This thread has been riddled with "you only like it because you're too young to remember" or "your frame of reference is off because" etc.

Joke, joke, joke. There are 21 year olds who hate the place and 90 year olds who think it's the best place ever. No doubt.

<sigh> So serious all the time :shrug: </sigh>

Good. :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

what McDonalds do you go to? A Big Mac combo around here costs almost $7...I don't think Disney is all that unreasonable. Take a trip to Six Flags and have lunch...

Wilt Dasney

what McDonalds do you go to? A Big Mac combo around here costs almost $7...I don't think Disney is all that unreasonable. Take a trip to Six Flags and have lunch...
I have. All I remember is thinking something like "Wow, this food is really overpriced. Kinda reminds me of Disney..." :lookaroun

Now that you mention it, my estimate of the McDonalds price was on the low side. (I'm still stuck in the dollar menu days...although $7 still sounds high to me.)

WDW Monorail

I have. All I remember is thinking something like "Wow, this food is really overpriced. Kinda reminds me of Disney..." :lookaroun

Now that you mention it, my estimate of the McDonalds price was on the low side. (I'm still stuck in the dollar menu days...although $7 still sounds high to me.)

Try 12.30 Swiss Franks for a McChicken sandwich... which wasn't very good at all I must say.

Wilt Dasney

Try 12.30 Swiss Franks for a McChicken sandwich... which wasn't very good at all I must say.
:lol:

Now you people have got me wondering what a Big Mac combo actually costs around here. I gave up meat 9 months ago, so I haven't had much incentive to visit any McDonalds since then. My best recollection is that the basic combos were in the $5 range.

ISTCNavigator's location says Connecticut, so I can believe the price he quoted, but I doubt it's become the norm. I hope not, anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom