Slash and Burn ...

ToTBellHop

You do realize we are in the beginning stages of a depression?
Are you an economic genius? We are currently in a recession. There is no way of knowing if a depression will follow. Unemployment is ~6%. Depressions feature unemployment on the order of 25%, so we have a very long way to go.

EpcotServo

Disney is quite great at conditioning guests to expect less. Have you heard the people attack me because I had to teach them that no Epcot hasn't always closed at 9 p.m. ... at some point people accepted less.

Or did at some point did some people start expecting more?

I call this the "ArguementMobile" because it's an arguement, and it goes vround and vround! Unt that is vhy we call it the "ArguementMobile"!

:lol:

Testtrack321

You do realize we are in the beginning stages of a depression?

This is our first recession in the new media age. Welcome to the fun of over information, information "fragmentia", and news for ratings.

We've been in the beginning stages of a depression in... 2001, 1998, 1980's.... etc

Mr. Tickle

Are you an economic genius? We are currently in a recession. There is no way of knowing if a depression will follow. Unemployment is ~6%. Depressions feature unemployment on the order of 25%, so we have a very long way to go.

Nope, I’m not an economic genius. I’m just aware of what’s happening. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the unemployment rate for all of 1930 was 8.9% and the current rate is 6.7% and rising rapidly. It only took from 1930 to 1933 for the rate to hit 24.9%. Given the fact that our country has outsourced most of everything and doesn’t produce anything anymore the outlook is bleak. The U.S. is broke; it’s as simple as that.

yankspy

Nope, I’m not an economic genius. I’m just aware of what’s happening. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the unemployment rate for all of 1930 was 8.9% and the current rate is 6.7% and rising rapidly. It only took from 1930 to 1933 for the rate to hit 24.9%. Given the fact that our country has outsourced most of everything and doesn’t produce anything anymore the outlook is bleak. The U.S. is broke; it’s as simple as that.
That is quite a vague and general statement there Mr. Smith.

yankspy

Our manufacturing base is gone. The U.S. is in so much debt it can mathematically never be paid back. What’s so vague about that?
You say gone, I say decreased. I also say that manufacturing is not the only way to make money. I also say that we could easily increase it. Anything that has a definite number can be paid back. So, mathematically, it is quite attainable. Will it be difficult, yes, impossible, nothing is. I am not trying to argue, I am simply saying that neither of us can predict the future.

RSoxNo1

The rumors I have heard was that Joe Rohde may be on his way out (either on his own, or in an ill conceived move by Disney). Is there another major imagineer that's in a similar boat?

Enigma

Account Suspended
The rumors I have heard was that Joe Rohde may be on his way out (either on his own, or in an ill conceived move by Disney). Is there another major imagineer that's in a similar boat?

Tony Baxter will be leaving shortly :(

It will be a painful and fatal blow especially considering he hasnt had the chance to show his real potential since Indy opened in '95.

TP2000

Tony Baxter will be leaving shortly :(

It will be a painful and fatal blow especially considering he hasnt had the chance to show his real potential since Indy opened in '95.

Tony Baxter is the creative executive in charge of Disneyland. Bob Weis has DCA and the billion dollar makeover, and Tony has Disneyland.

Tony just did a bunch of publicity and interviews regarding the Sleeping Beauty Castle attraction that just opened last month at Disneyland. He doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon, and the rumors on the Disneyland boards are that he is working feverishly on the Disneyland Opera House makeover and the Star Tours 2.0 project in Tomorrowland.

If Tony Baxter is fired, it will be a big loss for Disneyland. But I don't see how that would impact WDW.

Have bulldozers showed up since I last posted earlier this evening? No? Then nothing new is coming for WDW for the 40th Anniversary. Maybe some refurbishments and new parades, but no new rides. :eek:

the-reason14

I can agree with most points presented by WDW1974, and those againsts his. Personally, I dont know what disney was like back in the 70s or 80s, my earliest memories of WDW go back to 1992. Because I was so small and couldnt ride much of the good stuff, WDW today looks better to me. I do remember the hours being better then what they were in like 2002, but it seems the past 2 years have rebounded. Coming from a season pass to local six flags to an annual passholder for WDW, I saw a vast improvement, obviously, in my theme park adventures. So, while I may be a victim of the walmarted WDW, I know that the WDW Im used to is good. Sure, things could be better, they always can be. But, after hearing stories about what WDW used to be and what it can/should be, it does have me a little sad to hear about its deterioration. If it keeps up at this rate, WDW will be something horrible 20 years from now. If 20 years from now the people who see no fault with disney now are complaining and longing for how things used to be, then WDW is gonna have problems. The closing one park a day thing sounds good to me, though I dont think they'd do it. I think it will allow them to upkeep rides and attractions that they were once able to easily do when WDW was just a magic kingdom.

Honestly, I dont think I will be going back to WDW as much in 2009 as I have this year and previous years. With Space closed and nothin majorly new opening next year, there really isnt much of a draw for me. Esp. after hearing about all these cuts, and hearing about EMH wristband removal, TSM single rider line going bye bye, and them changing fastpasses again, I really dont think Ill waste my time. So in my absence, I hope they can get it together. Thats why Im not against the closing of a park a day as I wont really be there. But either way, I may plan a trip in 2010 after SM reopens.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Tony Baxter is the creative executive in charge of Disneyland. Bob Weis has DCA and the billion dollar makeover, and Tony has Disneyland.

Tony just did a bunch of publicity and interviews regarding the Sleeping Beauty Castle attraction that just opened last month at Disneyland. He doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon, and the rumors on the Disneyland boards are that he is working feverishly on the Disneyland Opera House makeover and the Star Tours 2.0 project in Tomorrowland.

If Tony Baxter is fired, it will be a big loss for Disneyland. But I don't see how that would impact WDW.

Have bulldozers showed up since I last posted earlier this evening? No? Then nothing new is coming for WDW for the 40th Anniversary. Maybe some refurbishments and new parades, but no new rides. :eek:

Loosing Baxter will be a big loss for the parks in general and it is very likely to happen soon. I have heard this from a variety of people and even Spirit/WDW1974 has commented on it.

TP2000

Loosing Baxter will be a big loss for the parks in general and it is very likely to happen soon. I have heard this from a variety of people and even Spirit/WDW1974 has commented on it.

I don't doubt it could happen, I guess. I heard there was a bit of a dustup during the Castle walkthrough project recently that did some harm to careers. It will be a huge loss for Disneyland if Tony goes.

But I can't imagine what type of impact it would have on WDW. Tony lives in Anaheim Hills, lives and breathes Disneyland (I live near him in Villa Park, and have seen him tooling around town with his clever license plate), and he hasn't had much of an impact on WDW since the Kodak pavilion in '83. Or am I forgetting something he's involved in at WDW?

Can you imagine a scripted Powerpoint drone like Meg Crofton or Ed Grier with a witty personalized Disneyland or WDW license plate? I can't. I also can't imagine what Tony would go do if he were to ever leave Disneyland and WDI.

devoy1701

A) The economy will turn around LONG before 2014
B) We won't have to wait til 2014 for an E-Ticket.

aren't we the optimist??? :king:

the economy is probably ALOT worse than the constant reports we hear from that great media of ours (they're optimists too when it comes to the economy)...remember that it's costing over a trillion bucks in taxpayer money just to keep the economy afloat!!! We can't just print a trillion bucks and not have any consequences. And we definitely can't keep writing things off into the national debt and not have any consequences...

and I don't get these interest rate cuts...every cut since the spring of 2007 has caused a momentary upward trend of the markets and economy, just for them to lose their gains and alot more in weeks to follow.

I think that we'll be lucky if things get better in 5 years...

and if we still don't have a new e-ticket by 2014, I will not be a passholder any longer... :lookaroun

I should bookmark this post and check back in 5 years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
the economy is probably ALOT worse than the constant reports we hear from that great media of ours (they're optimists too when it comes to the economy)...
Try the media outside the US - they`ll be honest and tell you how screwed the western world is. WDW is having somewhat of a kneejerk reaction and it`ll be regreted in the long run. In part TWDC is to blame. Orlando is not a cash cow with an endless supply of money. It`s time they realised that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
aren't we the optimist??? :king:

the economy is probably ALOT worse than the constant reports we hear from that great media of ours (they're optimists too when it comes to the economy)...remember that it's costing over a trillion bucks in taxpayer money just to keep the economy afloat!!! We can't just print a trillion bucks and not have any consequences. And we definitely can't keep writing things off into the national debt and not have any consequences...

and I don't get these interest rate cuts...every cut since the spring of 2007 has caused a momentary upward trend of the markets and economy, just for them to lose their gains and alot more in weeks to follow.

I think that we'll be lucky if things get better in 5 years...

and if we still don't have a new e-ticket by 2014, I will not be a passholder any longer... :lookaroun

I should bookmark this post and check back in 5 years.
What news reports are you listening to? Everyone I have heard doesn't even come close to anything that even resembles optimism. They are all doom and gloom 24/7. It is the typical "if it bleeds it leads" news mentality. Right now the economy is bleeding and the news agencies are reporting it with the same gleam in there eyes as they do with category 5 hurricane causing billions in damage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom