Slash and Burn ...

MousDad

What news reports are you listening to? Everyone I have heard doesn't even come close to anything that even resembles optimism. They are all doom and gloom 24/7. It is the typical "if it bleeds it leads" news mentality. Right now the economy is bleeding and the news agencies are reporting it with the same gleam in there eyes as they do with category 5 hurricane causing billions in damage.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Anderson Cooper in his bullet proof vest reporting from the unemployment line. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm surprised we haven't seen Anderson Cooper in his bullet proof vest reporting from the unemployment line. :lol:
Give it time. I am sure thay have something like that penciled in for sweeps.

About the best news that I heard in recent months was that our government finally admitted that we are in a recession. Historically, that usually means that we are actually coming to the end of it.:lol:

devoy1701

What news reports are you listening to? Everyone I have heard doesn't even come close to anything that even resembles optimism. They are all doom and gloom 24/7. It is the typical "if it bleeds it leads" news mentality. Right now the economy is bleeding and the news agencies are reporting it with the same gleam in there eyes as they do with category 5 hurricane causing billions in damage.

I was referring to how they all believe that bailouts and new business plans and a new administration is going to straighten everything out and that they are giving the idea to most americans that a year or two from now things will start looking better.

The news I listen to is definitely doom and gloom fear the worst, head for the hills, no need to flee the country because they're all doomed too...btw, don't expect a quick fix!

These cuts at WDW are going to get alot worse over the next couple years...I think we're lucky that the 40th is going to be happing during this recession as regardless of the economy, it will stimulate some kind of growth at the resort...

DisneyMusician2

I was referring to how they all believe that bailouts and new business plans and a new administration is going to straighten everything out and that they are giving the idea to most americans that a year or two from now things will start looking better.

The news I listen to is definitely doom and gloom fear the worst, head for the hills, no need to flee the country because they're all doomed too...btw, don't expect a quick fix!

These cuts at WDW are going to get alot worse over the next couple years...I think we're lucky that the 40th is going to be happing during this recession as regardless of the economy, it will stimulate some kind of growth at the resort...

I'm not sure how much we expect to get for the 40th....so far, nothing looks too promising, but I keep holding my breath hoping that a revitalization of WDW is in the works on SOMEBODY'S drawing board.

I actually think that with some upgrades to the MK, things would look much better. Other parks are in far better shape!

EPCOT Explorer

Give it time. I am sure thay have something like that penciled in for sweeps.

About the best news that I heard in recent months was that our government finally admitted that we are in a recession. Historically, that usually means that we are actually coming to the end of it.:lol:

:lol: True, true. I hope so.

JWG

I'm not sure how much we expect to get for the 40th....so far, nothing looks too promising, but I keep holding my breath hoping that a revitalization of WDW is in the works on SOMEBODY'S drawing board.

I actually think that with some upgrades to the MK, things would look much better. Other parks are in far better shape!

I'm to the point, understanding current economic conditions, that I'd forgo the 40th celebration to ensure the place was pristine for its 50th. And no, that doesn't mean a castle cake twice as big as 25. :fork:

For the 50th if we could have a renewed (and back to theme) Tomorrowland, an updated Fantasyland, refurbed and fully working timeless attractions from over the years, and some attention paid to the other parks. I'd be happy.

Maybe a fully opeartional and utilized Future World at Epcot with Imagination 4.0 (should be done by the 40th anyway), a complete SSE descent :hammer:, an Ellen free Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life back-to-life, a new Soarin' movie and the new transportation pavilion sponsored by Kia :D.

Seriously, I'm ok with it being a subdued 40th to salvage the 50th.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm to the point, understanding current economic conditions, that I'd forgo the 40th celebration to ensure the place was pristine for its 50th. And no, that doesn't mean a castle cake twice as big as 25. :fork:

For the 50th if we could have a renewed (and back to theme) Tomorrowland, an updated Fantasyland, refurbed and fully working timeless attractions from over the years, and some attention paid to the other parks. I'd be happy.

Maybe a fully opeartional and utilized Future World at Epcot with Imagination 4.0 (should be done by the 40th anyway), a complete SSE descent :hammer:, an Ellen free Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life back-to-life, a new Soarin' movie and the new transportation pavilion sponsored by Kia :D.

Seriously, I'm ok with it being a subdued 40th to salvage the 50th.

I agree...but it would be nice to have both. And EPCOT's 30th could be tied into the 2nd year of the 40th.:lol:

devoy1701

I agree...but it would be nice to have both. And EPCOT's 30th could be tied into the 2nd year of the 40th.:lol:

along with a renewal of the Year of a Million Dreams Celebration? Or do you think we could stretch the What Will You Celebrate Campaign for 5 years? :ROFLOL:

:brick:

Mr. Tickle

You say gone, I say decreased. I also say that manufacturing is not the only way to make money. I also say that we could easily increase it. Anything that has a definite number can be paid back. So, mathematically, it is quite attainable. Will it be difficult, yes, impossible, nothing is. I am not trying to argue, I am simply saying that neither of us can predict the future.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing. I’m just stating what I see. I’d love for things to get better, but that’s just not realistic. Our national debt is over 10 trillion dollars right now. We hold 25% of the worlds GDP as debt. Our manufacturing could be built up again, but it’s not going to. We’ve been sold out to greed. Just go shopping on Main Street U.S.A. at WDW. Nothing sold there is made in America. That should be an indicator itself.

Manufacturing is the only way to make wealth. Money can be made other ways, but not wealth. There is a difference. Don’t believe the “we are a services economy” line. A country can’t just sell stuff to each other and grow. When all the money that has been in injected in the markets by the FED hits the real economy (what ever is left after being stolen) there will be inflation. Right now we are going through a deflationary period in things like housing, but that hasn’t affected prices on food, still high. The dollar will crash. I hope I’m wrong, but the FED has never had such low rates, ever. They have lost control and we the people are along for the ride.

Do some research and see how money is created. If it doesn't make you angry it should. Most of it doesn’t exist due to fractional reserve banking, that’s why banks can’t cover their losses. They never had the money they lent out to begin with, only a fraction of it in reserves. Right now they are taking all the bail out money to save themselves, not us. If they were trying to help us we’d have lower interest rates, but most people's rates are going up. All the government talks about is freeing up credit markets, but people are too far in debt to take any more on, especially with all the job losses. Credit is not money and it’s time to pay the piper.

Like I said, I hope things get better, but I just don’t see it. The conditions are right for a Soviet style meltdown like the U.S.S.R. in 89’. Optimism is good, but don’t be blind to think it couldn't happen in the good ‘ol U.S.A. Just remember the government wouldn’t even admit we were in a recession until a year later. I wouldn’t trust them for current info… You're right about not being able to predict the future or both of us would probably be a multiple lotto winners.

yankspy

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing. I’m just stating what I see. I’d love for things to get better, but that’s just not realistic. Our national debt is over 10 trillion dollars right now. We hold 25% of the worlds GDP as debt. Our manufacturing could be built up again, but it’s not going to. We’ve been sold out to greed. Just go shopping on Main Street U.S.A. at WDW. Nothing sold there is made in America. That should be an indicator itself.

Manufacturing is the only way to make wealth. Money can be made other ways, but not wealth. There is a difference. Don’t believe the “we are a services economy” line. A country can’t just sell stuff to each other and grow. When all the money that has been in injected in the markets by the FED hits the real economy (what ever is left after being stolen) there will be inflation. Right now we are going through a deflationary period in things like housing, but that hasn’t affected prices on food, still high. The dollar will crash. I hope I’m wrong, but the FED has never had such low rates, ever. They have lost control and we the people are along for the ride.

Do some research and see how money is created. If it doesn't make you angry it should. Most of it doesn’t exist due to fractional reserve banking, that’s why banks can’t cover their losses. They never had the money they lent out to begin with, only a fraction of it in reserves. Right now they are taking all the bail out money to save themselves, not us. If they were trying to help us we’d have lower interest rates, but most people's rates are going up. All the government talks about is freeing up credit markets, but people are too far in debt to take any more on, especially with all the job losses. Credit is not money and it’s time to pay the piper.

Like I said, I hope things get better, but I just don’t see it. The conditions are right for a Soviet style meltdown like the U.S.S.R. in 89’. Optimism is good, but don’t be blind to think it couldn't happen in the good ‘ol U.S.A. Just remember the government wouldn’t even admit we were in a recession until a year later. I wouldn’t trust them for current info… You're right about not being able to predict the future or both of us would probably be a multiple lotto winners.
Agreed. I think my point is just that there is nothing that I can necessarily do about it but hunker down. Hey, my wife survived the Soviet meltdown, so we can survive whatever comes.

Mr. Tickle

Agreed. I think my point is just that there is nothing that I can necessarily do about it but hunker down. Hey, my wife survived the Soviet meltdown, so we can survive whatever comes.

Exactly, things will always get better in the long run, even after a total meltdown. I just think we're in for some tough times.

yankspy

Exactly, things will always get better in the long run, even after a total meltdown. I just think we're in for some tough times.
Look on the bright side. We will be able to tell our grandkids about how we ate dirt when we were younger and we were thankful for it.:lol:

hokielutz

I'm sure that's what people said about Citibank, GM, Linens and Things, JP Morgan, Lehman Brothers, and hundreds of other Fortune 500 companies.

Don't assume that couldn't happen to Disney.

GM, Ford, Chrysler have all been having problems with profitability for the last several years.... I really have a hard time recollecting when the domestic automakers put together multiple quarters of profitable growth. Not to mention the effect the regulations that the Government has forced on the Domestic Auto industry and all the money that goes down a black hole because of Union obligations.
Linens has been in trouble for a long time.....
And all the wonderful banks and financial lenders that were forced sign high risk mortgages that they soon discovered could not be paid back, and thus the bubble in real estate burst.

Last I checked.... Disney is not operating a broken business model.

hokielutz

This is exactly what the big 3 automobile companies did...they lowered quality of there products, didnt listen to customers, became complacent and over years there brands eroded and now there scratching there heads what happened? At this rate Disney will be bankrupt in a year's time and will be bought out by another corporation.

No.

The costs skyrocket because the automakers made deals that they can't currently pay for. Pension plans, guaranteed wage rates with the UAW... etc... have made the cost per vehicle higher than what they are sold for.... thus the loss the businesses have turned during the last many years. Low quality was a problem of the 80s and early 90s. Quality today is par with everyone else.

Disney's VASTLY DIFFERENT business model is far more profitable and comparing it to the big-3 is naieve and without understanding of the differences in the businesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom