Slash and Burn ...

mcjaco

^ You're expecting them to get an E ticket for the WDW 40th, when they didn't even want to celebrate it's very own 25th?

That is pie in the sky thinking.

EPCOT Explorer

^ You're expecting them to get an E ticket for the WDW 40th, when they didn't even want to celebrate it's very own 25th?

That is pie in the sky thinking.

Ummm...

smwdw25.gif

6a00c2251dc877f21900cd9786a5ccf9cc-500pi

I don't know what you mean...the 25th was HUGE for WDW.:shrug:

And it's been hinted the 40th will be too.

ToTBellHop

several very knowledgeable folks here have suggested that there will be new attractions for the 40th, including at least 1 E-Ticket. No word on how the info in this thread will affect those plans, though. Since the last E-Ticket to open was in 2006, it is not at all unreasonable to expect at least one by 2011. They used to open them at least every couple years...

RSoxNo1

I think I posted this over on ITM, and I recognize the source of the info, but according to Jim Hill, Jay Rasulo did a study to find out how long WDW could go without a major addition. He came up with 6 years. If you look at Everest at early 2006 as the last major addition than that puts us at 2012 for the next major addition. However, I think what is more likely is that they'll look at Toy Story Mania as the last major addition, meaning that if Rasulo has his way, we won't see a major D/E ticket level attraction until 2014. At that point, it could be Little Mermaid, Monster's Inc, or something completely different. I would not be shocked to see very little find it's way into the parks until then (unless there is a quick turn around in the economy). It's realistic that the only things we see in the parks from now until 2014 are American Idol, and refurbishments (hopefully major ones to Space Mountain, Star Tours, Expedition Everest and Journey into Imagination)

CBOMB

your just a kid what do you know about these matters? I mean your cool and all but your like 14 and have no way of knowing how these idiots in disney's managment are gonna go. We already know tehy dont give 2 cents about the parks and there rich history.
Now don't be mean young man. You know I warned you about getting emotional. It gets you into trouble. Adam seems to be very knowledgeable, and his youth only has to do with his long term experience with WDW. Wanting to be in the Disney Corporation definetly dictates how he perceives things, not necessarily his age.
Guys, this thread has entered some really uncomfortable (and weird) territory. Could we lay off the speculation about people's personal lives?

Not only is it inappropriate for public discussion, but it seems like some of what's been written/implied here could be legally actionable...if not toward individual posters, than for this site.
I must have missed something. would you please enlighten me?
I will allow this ing match to continue as long as you all remember to keep it civil. No personal attacks of any type, no insults, etc.

I have better things to do than watch you guys (as this thread has been dominated by males and their chest pounding :lol:) try to impress each other with your knowledge. ;)
ing Match...... MOM!:eek:

CBOMB

I think I learned something about you today WDW 1974 that I never realized before. Being scared by Snow White's Scarey Adventure in your youth could possibly be the reason you became a Latte Lover!:D

EpcotServo

I will allow this ing match to continue as long as you all remember to keep it civil. No personal attacks of any type, no insults, etc.

I have better things to do than watch you guys (as this thread has been dominated by males and their chest pounding :lol:) try to impress each other with your knowledge. ;)

I deem with any so called "WDW Magic Street Cred" that I have, that this is the single greatest post to have ever be written on this site. Nothing less than GENIUS!
:lol: :sohappy:

DL closed Mondays and Tuesdays in the offseason well into the 1980s ... it was a few years AFTER Michael Eisner came to head Disney that he decreed the park would be open seven days a week.

Walt actually had a gentleman's agreement with Walter Knott whereby Knott's Berry Farm closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays so visitors to the area would always find a park open.

And when DL closed it wasn't like there was another Disney option.

WDW has four parks. If only three (including the all-important MK) were open say two days a week with the other five days seeing all parks open it really wouldn't be that big a deal for most people.

That's a mighty big assumption, but if you want to ignore the experience of collectively millions of Cast Members and go stand outside one of the parks and tell them it's closed-I won't try to stop you.

:lol:

yankspy

Again, most people don't get this.

The past decade (actually a bit longer) has been steady cutbacks in so many areas so people have become conditioned to a much lesser product being 'Disney quality' ... even facts don't seem to matter (see my park hours historical perspective thread, which basically died as soon as I put out just a few examples of how many hours have been cut from operating days)

How many people (mostly younger, but some who never visited in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s) have said 'well, I never experienced that, so I don't miss it?'

That's the exact 'tude that TDO counts on as it further WalMarts the magic.

It's been so long since the MK was spotless daily that no one here ever expects it to be more than 'cleaner than Six Flags' ... sorry, but that's not good enough.

I'll just say that nothing short of a terrorist attack or major natural disaster in Florida would have MK (and likely EPCOT) closing at all. Just won't ever happen.

The closings that would likely happen if Disney went this route would be a day a week at its 3rd and 4th gates.

Ah ... that's IF Disney were closing for quality and not to simply save money on labor.

That will never happen, so don't waste your time even thinking about that.

Good idea. I'm sure there's a few local fanboys who could chronicle just how bad shape certain attractions are ... we all know about the yeti being 101 ... and the angler fish ... and the PoC projection ... and many things in Splash Mtn ... that's just a start.

But WDW's regulars will never hold the place to DL standards because many people don't know any better. How many of you were regulars when there was just the MK, four resorts and a shopping village? At DL, you have a feeling of 'ownership' (which to be fair has negative aspects as well) by people because they've gone for generations. That's why when things really got out of whack out there in the late 90s, early 00s ... people reacted with so much anger and passion and things improved in a hurry.

WDW attracts a vastly different makeup of guest ... and there are so few regulars who truly lived its amazing history and therefore understand what a lesser product is being provided these days. When you have people who think they're veterans because they vaguely recall a pink castle cake, you're in trouble.

The majority of WDW fans don't know what they're missing ... and if they don't, how do you think Joe Sixpack could?

It's a vicious cycle that allows even more magic to drop away by the day.
I just bumped your "historical hours" thread. You might want to take a look.

Grim Grinner

I don't know about you...

I don't know about you, but I want to hear the story about the "elder" Imagineer taking you under his wing and the dangers thereof.

I can imagine that long after your connections run dry, you fellas can write an interesting behind-the-scenes book about the joys and pains.

I'm sort of doing that right now about my ex-place of employment.

Doing that puts all sorts of things into perspective.

BTW- I was born in 1974 and have been to the parks dozens of times. Epcot Center was and always shall be my favorite park. I also miss the true tropical feel of Adventureland with its steel drum music.

WDW has changed in many ways. I'd say that it has become unwieldy for management. Perhaps a restructuring is needed?

Ah well, back to my lurking.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A) The economy will turn around LONG before 2014
B) We won't have to wait til 2014 for an E-Ticket.

Thanks for your predictions.

I sincerely hope you're right about both.

But I wouldn't bet what little $$$ I have left on either of those ... especially the second!

WDW1974

Original Poster
ing Match...... MOM!:eek:

It's like we're a bunch of silverbacks all fighting for dominance.

A few of the younger males think they can take out the oldtimers, but we have guile ... we are savvy ... we are experienced.

No one is taking me out! I'll take on all comers.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think I learned something about you today WDW 1974 that I never realized before. Being scared by Snow White's Scarey Adventure in your youth could possibly be the reason you became a Latte Lover!:D

Could be ... 'ya never know!

TP2000

several very knowledgeable folks here have suggested that there will be new attractions for the 40th, including at least 1 E-Ticket. No word on how the info in this thread will affect those plans, though. Since the last E-Ticket to open was in 2006, it is not at all unreasonable to expect at least one by 2011. They used to open them at least every couple years...

There is less than three years until the 40th Anniversary of WDW; October 1, 2011. And if you consider that any major 40th marketing campaign would kick off in early spring, 2011, then that means there is only two years and three months until the 40th celebration "begins" in March, 2011.

If an E Ticket were going to open at any time during calendar year 2011, then the bulldozers needed to move in several months ago. But there are no bulldozers anywhere. Not even a hint of a bulldozer. If anything, the rumors coming from the reliable insiders is that everything proposed for WDW has been put on indefinite hold. Best case scenario is that someone decides to spend 100 Million on a WDW attraction in the next 90 days, bulldozers move in around April, 2009, and the ride opens for the spring of 2012. That's the best case scenario.

Now there still could be a major refurbishment or two of an existing attraction that opens in time for the 40th. Space Mountain gets a minor refurb for '09 (at least we hope so), but the six month downtime there is far short of the 26 month downtime that Disneyland's Space Mountain had during its last refurbishment in '03-'05. Maybe Journey Into Imagination could close for 18 months or so from late '09 to early '11 as the big 40th refurbishment?

Still, any way you look at it, things don't look too promising for a substantial attractions involvement for the 40th celebration. I think the safer bet is on a new parade for Magic Kingdom, maybe a night spectacular for DAK of some sort, and lots of 40th banners hanging from all the new DVC properties. :lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW has four parks. If only three (including the all-important MK) were open say two days a week with the other five days seeing all parks open it really wouldn't be that big a deal for most people.

That's a mighty big assumption, but if you want to ignore the experience of collectively millions of Cast Members and go stand outside one of the parks and tell them it's closed-I won't try to stop you.

:lol:

I firmly believe it.

Disney is quite great at conditioning guests to expect less. Have you heard the people attack me because I had to teach them that no Epcot hasn't always closed at 9 p.m. ... at some point people accepted less.

If Disney went to closing its two least popular parks a day a week, I don't think everyone would love it ... but they'd deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom