Sky-Way Station being cleared

disneysroyal411

Maybe the main characters enemy will have a a furry little friend with a name beginning with an s and ending with itch!!!! :lookarounThis will be a funny little guy that makes everyone but us forumers laugh!:lookaroun

Scar Junior

Live action feature films aside....

I think this is encouraging news. I wonder if there are any ambitious plans associated with it, or if it is one of those 'now or never' type of decisions.

Like jt said, I'd be okay even if they just use it for a resting place or interactive experience... but who knows, maybe once they get it cleared there will be larger plans coming for this in the next few years.

EPCOT Explorer

There's a difference between development, and a character becoming the complete opposite of what he/she was before, in a bad way.

*coughElizabethcough*

Right, I had a feeling you were talking about her. Honestly, I didn't mind. I think she was all pirate all along.

*coughWillwasalwaysannoyingthoughcough*:lookaroun :lol: :D

Rob562

What is the status of the queue inside the dome when things get this bad? It just seems really dumb to build an extended queue when there is so much space inside that I rarely ever see being utilized.

You can thank FastPass for the non-use of the back-and-forth interior queue. Apart from running one track strictly FastPass and the other strictly Standby, there wasn't really a good way to run the dual queues and still be able to insert FP Guests near the front of the line.
So once FastPass came along, only the corridor was used as the Standby queue. The back-and-forth queues could easily hold as many (if not more) than the corridor, so by introducing FastPass, they essentially cut the available indoor queue length in half, and any longer queue spilled out into the plaza.

The design of the FastPass entrance also kept them from using the already-established outdoor overflow queue space, which was to the right of the entrance, toward (or even in) that "patio" area behind the Skyway station and between SM's entrance and the skyway.

It's presumed that a total re-working of the indoor queue is part of the current refurb to once again allow them to use the entire space of the indoor queue.

-Rob

stitch2008

I haven't seen enough about Tron to make up my expectations on that. JCoM is a Pixar project, so I'm sure it will be great, but I also don't count that as a WDS project. 20K will be a disaster. McG is a hack, no doubt about it. Tomorrowland I have incredibly low expectations for. I don't think the land lends itself to a movie that will be original and entertaining, like a Pirates or a Jungle Cruise or a (good) Haunted Mansion movie could.

And yes a queue is a plan.

1. Tomorrowland(if that is what it will be called) is years away. But this movie may be a sleeper. Its based only the idea of a city in the future. No attractions; yet :lookaroun

2. JCoM is Walt Disney Pictures, not Pixar. Or at least the last time i checked.

3. Idk about 20k. It was supposed to start shooting the end of this year. But the film has entered its third stage of script re-writes. Randall Wallace (Braveheart, We Were Soldiers) is now writing the script.

4. To me Tron looks and sounds amazing.

docandsix

Back on topic...

To me, clearing of the Tomorrowland Sky-Way Station counts as a substantial and meaningful step forward for all of Walt Disney World, as I have long been as annoyed by unused, empty structures (or nearly abandoned buildings, like the Odyssey restaurant or the World of Life Pavilion at EPCOT) as WDW1974 is by the homogenization of merchandise. Though I am not yet sure which side I land on, and despite the fact that I continue to believe that there remain many, many things about the entire property that require attention and improvement, I think I am beginning to see signs that a resort-wide refurbishment is on its way, and may be drifting slowly toward the pixie dust inhalers' perspective in the endless debate regarding the current progress or regress of WDW:

-The Haunted Mansion refurbishment (first-rate)
-The Hall of Presidents overhaul (rumored to be well-done)
-The Little Mermaid ride?
-Star Tours 2.0?
-Luxo Jr.
-The rumored return of the Yeti.
-Monsters, Inc. roller coaster?
-Soarin' Over the World?
-Potential Fantasyland refurbishment?

Yes, these are mostly rumors, for now, but there seems to be some real momentum suggesting that someone or something is actually moving in the direction of improving WDW for the first time in the past several years.

OK, WDW 1974, burst my bubble.

Scar Junior

/\ I like the cut of your jib. There could very well be more changes like this appearing over the next several years. I think many of them will come when it 'makes sense' such as the clearing of FL's Sky-Way during the Space Mtn refurb.

I know many hate and ridicule TDO (see concurrent thread) - but I have a friend who is very close family friends with President Crofton. Not only do they speak the world of her, but they like her theory that improving small things is the way to go for the short term. Big projects will eventually come. A few years ago people were upset about the attractions that were being neglected. We've had many renovations. Some of them better than others, but at least they are now getting attention.

The renovation of this waste of space might be a step toward that vision. Others with better sources might be able to support or correct what I've heard.

Edit: note... I've had no early info on any renovations. I just heard years ago that it was a likely trend that has started to come to fruition... not claiming to know anything that others don't...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...toward (or even in) that "patio" area behind the Skyway station and between SM's entrance and the skyway.
You got it:

Attachments

• OldTomorrow02crop.jpg
    OldTomorrow02crop.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 296

Jasonflz

I hope this demolition and rebuilding keeps the second floor of the skyway at least. We still need a good sky-view restaurant. Also, what is going to happen to the dusty items inside?

EPCOT Explorer

/\ I like the cut of your jib. There could very well be more changes like this appearing over the next several years. I think many of them will come when it 'makes sense' such as the clearing of FL's Sky-Way during the Space Mtn refurb.

I know many hate and ridicule TDO (see concurrent thread) - but I have a friend who is very close family friends with President Crofton. Not only do they speak the world of her, but they like her theory that improving small things is the way to go for the short term. Big projects will eventually come. A few years ago people were upset about the attractions that were being neglected. We've had many renovations. Some of them better than others, but at least they are now getting attention.

The renovation of this waste of space might be a step toward that vision. Others with better sources might be able to support or correct what I've heard.

Edit: note... I've had no early info on any renovations. I just heard years ago that it was a likely trend that has started to come to fruition... not claiming to know anything that others don't...

Shouldn't they have ALWAYS done maint. and refurbs, though? Disney quality is high quality.

marsrunner

I love Pirates 2 and 3. Great movies. Loved every minute of them and will never understand what was so convoluted about their plot. And wasn't Elizabeth supposed to be pirate all along? The whole trilogy was really her story anyway. She was fascinated by pirates as early as the first scene of the first movie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom