Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidyne

You mean "secluded 100-yard-long smoking area"? Between the cigarette smoke and Speedway exhaust, that walkway back there might as well be renamed Emphysema Alley.
Too true. Don't forget the doggie relief area nearby! Nonetheless, I love it. I hold my breath long enough to get some good snapshots of SM.

Edit: Actually an official service animal area is farther up, but this is a favorite unofficial one if memory serves. (I have no problem with that, fwiw.)

Last edited:

Rutt

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who love Stitch and Imagination too.
I'm sure there are as well. I bet there are even rides that you enjoy that others don't.

I'm not for or against TLSpeedway going or staying but it's far from unsalvageable and even further from unpopular. A few tweeks and it will be just fine again.

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

As for the more "rotund" guests that frequent WDW... and for the females that tend to wear short clothing...

Each train in shanghai has a standard car in back. I could see that maybe doubling, or maybe cycle three trains and one is entirely standard cars. Something will have to be done.

Because lemme tell you... Ain't NO WAY every guest will be able ride the cycles. For a handful of reasons.

NeXuS1000

For me the sounds and smell are part of the experience. They immediately take me back to my childhood and driving for the first time ever at MK. It would be a shame if my grandkids never get to share the same experience.

It would be a shame if they never had to inhale toxic fumes? Yeah, what a shame...

Listen, I understand the nostalgic aspects of it, but surely, we must look forward and understand and appreciate how much better non-fuel solutions are, in pretty much every way.

nickys

Premium Member
Here's my attempts at those acronyms / clues @marni1971 gave us, fwiw.

**GE - 1. Someone's great escape, maybe Wreck-it Ralph
2. Akin to "get lost" great escape ;)

WRTR. - 1. Wreck-it Ralph's toon? ride
2. _ road to Rio
3. Wild _ Toad ride

I'm hungry 220 - I think this is the restaurant he mentioned a while back. He said it would blow us away, or "get the fan boys excited" or words to that effect. People have been saying "sugar rush" because of the diabetes link. Hmm, not sure, but if it to do with that, said diabetic would be in a HYPERglycaemic attack. Therefore some kind of space themed place? Personally I think the 220 is something else entirely!

WC. - World Carnivale (Brazil again)
- Wonderland Carousel (Alice)

WOW. - World of Wonder, World of Wonderland (Alice)

I give up! Not to mention that at least one of these will be something we haven't been discussing yet ;)

Edit: a quick search of connections between Disney and 220 yields .... nothing. But The Wave apparently has 220 seats ??? They better not touch that though, I love it as it is.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Here's my attempts at those acronyms / clues @marni1971 gave us, fwiw.

**GE - 1. Someone's great escape, maybe Wreck-it Ralph
2. Akin to "get lost" great escape ;)

WRTR. - 1. Wreck-it Ralph's toon? ride
2. _ road to Rio
3. Wild _ Toad ride

I'm hungry 220 - I think this is the restaurant he mentioned a while back. He said it would blow us away, or "get the fan boys excited" or words to that effect. People have been saying "sugar rush" because of the diabetes link. Hmm, not sure, but if it to do with that, said diabetic would be in a HYPERglycaemic attack. Therefore some kind of space themed place? Personally I think the 220 is something else entirely!

WC. - World Carnivale (Brazil again)
- Wonderland Carousel (Alice)

WOW. - World of Wonder, World of Wonderland (Alice)

I give up! Not to mention that at least one of these will be something we haven't been discussing yet ;)
Night #2 with little sleep (work has me particularly stressed). Here's where my sleep-deprived brain was last night:
worldshowcase_sites.gif

If you look at it like a clock, pad one is close to where the 2 would be, and pad two is in sort of a 20 minute spot. 2:20?
Okay, yeah; I got nuthin'.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Umm..have you ever ridden an old wooden roller coaster? Or what about the Vortex?lol.
Seriously, my kid has maxed out- due to my insisting- at 6 consecutive times on that one.
I swear that I was in pain for 3 days after!

Disney World's Space Mountain feels like a brand new coaster to me after the experiences of what we ride all summer.lol
Of course, the major difference between the coasters you mentioned and SM is that SM is mostly dark, so you can't see what's coming up next. With outdoor coasters, you can see what's coming and brace for it. In the dark, you can't and that's what leads so many to think it's a "rough" ride after hitting turns, dips and brakes without being able to brace for them.

That said, I don't ride Vortex until I'm ready to leave the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Umm..have you ever ridden an old wooden roller coaster? Or what about the Vortex?lol.
Seriously, my kid has maxed out- due to my insisting- at 6 consecutive times on that one.
I swear that I was in pain for 3 days after!

Disney World's Space Mountain feels like a brand new coaster to me after the experiences of what we ride all summer.lol
Orlandos SM is hammered. It's now nine years past its renewal date and it is plain to see.

21stamps

Of course, the major difference between the coasters you mentioned and SM is that SM is mostly dark, so you can't see what's coming up next. With outdoor coasters, you can see what's coming and brace for it. In the dark, you can't and that's what leads so many to think it's a "rough" ride after hitting turns, dips and brakes without being able to brace for them.

That said, I don't ride Vortex until I'm ready to leave the park.

Maybe SM doesn't bother me as much due to the restraints/lack of. My arms aren't banging into anything, my earrings aren't stabbing me in the neck drawing blood, my head isn't like a ping pong ball between a harness, and I don't have to cross my arms tightly across my chest to avoid pain in certain areas..lol.

I get it, people feel it's rough. I won't ever complain about a coaster getting smoother, so I'd be all for it when the redo happens.. I just don't view it as a rough coaster comparatively.

Orlandos SM is hammered. It's now nine years past its renewal date and it is plain to see.

Do you know who long will it go down for when it happens? Is Vekoma rebuilding it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe SM doesn't bother me as much due to the restraints/lack of. My arms aren't banging into anything, my earrings aren't stabbing me in the neck drawing blood, my head isn't like a ping pong ball between a harness, and I don't have to cross my arms tightly across my chest to avoid pain in certain areas..lol.

I get it, people feel it's rough. I won't ever complain about a coaster getting smoother, so I'd be all for it when the redo happens.. I just don't view it as a rough coaster comparatively.

Do you know who long will it go down for when it happens? Is Vekoma rebuilding it?
The original schedule was 15-18 months.

thepirateking

I'm going to act like the Speedway guide-rail and redirect this thread back toward center, but with the understeer I suspect we'll just bounce too far the other way...

What themes (if any) would people prefer for the speedway?
  • Cars (not very Tomorrow-y)
  • Sugar Rush (Wreck-It Ralph)
  • Stitch (mini rockets?)
  • Wall-e (hover chairs)
Are there any other IPs that lend themselves to racing?

GCTales

From the video, which I realize can be deceptive.. it looks fun, but less of a scale than RnRC.. it looked fairly slow. But again, I'm sure it's different when riding.

I think the restraints would need a much higher height requirement than anything else in MK. Does anyone know the requirement in Shangai?
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/tron-lightcycle-power-run/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_Lightcycle_Power_Run

Both say 122 cm (4' 0") minimum

No max height listed

azox

So screamscape is reporting today a rumor that the Tron coaster might go into the parking lot area over by COP and Buzz and not where the speedway is. Any chance that might happen? It kind of seems like a reasonable idea, as you could have the coaster zip around the tomorrow land area and hide the building in that parking lot area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom