Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

None. That's not what I said.
I have no issue with the Tron coaster being added.

If Disney becomes "thrill" heavy.. and does away with attractions like the Speedway, then it isn't much different than many other parks...except for Disney's coasters probably won't be as thrilling.
Uni/IoA is better than Disney when it comes to thrills..and has great theming.
Cedar Fair and Six Flags have better thrills than Disney.

I don't go to Disney with thrills as my motivation. Go karts are not what the Speedway is. Most kids can't drive go karts. They can drive at the Speedway.

The beauty of WDW, for many, is that an entire family can enjoy the majority of the attractions together- as a family. Not waiving to their kid from the sidelines of an amusement park car driving ride.. and not splitting up so some of the family can ride the "big coasters" until they all reach 54".

I don't think there's any danger of the Magic Kingdom running out of attractions with no height limit. At any rate, it's hardly a justification for keeping a sprawling attraction as loud, ugly, and boring as the Speedway.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People have been saying that Countdown to Extinction is great since its recent refurbishment. It may be no Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but it's undeniably still an E-ticket.

Tell you what. For a discount I'll recreate CTE right at home for you. Ill lock you in a room, black it out, crank up the stereo, and proceed to just hit you with a bar of soap wrapped in a towel

Daveeeeed

Tell you what. For a discount I'll recreate CTE right at home for you. Ill lock you in a room, black it out, crank up the stereo, and proceed to just hit you with a bar of soap wrapped in a towel
An E-ticket does not have to be good to make it an E-ticket. That's just its scale, flaws and all. It can in no way compete with Indiana Jones.

djdan888

None. That's not what I said.
I have no issue with the Tron coaster being added.

If Disney becomes "thrill" heavy.. and does away with attractions like the Speedway, then it isn't much different than many other parks...except for Disney's coasters probably won't be as thrilling.
Uni/IoA is better than Disney when it comes to thrills..and has great theming.
Cedar Fair and Six Flags have better thrills than Disney.

I don't go to Disney with thrills as my motivation. Go karts are not what the Speedway is. Most kids can't drive go karts. They can drive at the Speedway.

The beauty of WDW, for many, is that an entire family can enjoy the majority of the attractions together- as a family. Not waiving to their kid from the sidelines of an amusement park car driving ride.. and not splitting up so some of the family can ride the "big coasters" until they all reach 54".
Disney is definitely not thrill heavy even with the addition of Tron. As far as thrill rides are concerned, there is currently is only one in the MK park I consider thrilling and that is Splash. There is room for both. You have the whole rest of the park for family rides. That is all Disney is.

nickys

Premium Member
Fair enough but your discounting the fact that this ride effects other rides around it. The noise, gas fumes, etc. I get it that some enjoy this but if you were to build the worst ride ever constructed, someone out there would enjoy it. Does that means it should never be replaced?

When a ride is frequently rated as one of and in many cases THE worst attractions in a world class theme park, it's time to get rid of it or make drastic alterations. If 90 out of 100 people hate something and 10 enjoy it can you explain to me the logic behind keeping that attraction?

What rides does it affect then? There really aren't any near it that would entail having to breathe in it's fumes.

21stamps

Disney is definitely not thrill heavy even with the addition of Tron. As far as thrill rides are concerned, there is currently is only one in the MK park I consider thrilling and that is Splash. There is room for both. You have the whole rest of the park for family rides. That is all Disney is.

As long as they all stay within a reasonable height requirement, then I'm good.lol
My idea of MK is where once the average height child reaches 4 or 5 years old, then they should be able to do every ride there.

disneygeek90

What they really need to do is move those pedals up. Whenever I have ridden with a kid I have to hold it down and you actually have to push down pretty dang hard to make the thing go. Let's loosen that up a bit if we're keeping it.

Buried20KLeague

Found it (from the site which won't be named)
CONTEMP-1200x712.png

Are you talking about disboards? Steve has said more than once that it's not forbidden to mention the name. I just think you can't link there.

But this does no good if people don't know where to go.

Monorail_Orange

And someone was complaining a day or two ago about track supports. Thing is... With this design, they sort of WORK. I didn't have any issue with them at all. They're in the pics I posted above... But your eyes aren't drawn to them. They sort of become part of the look.
The question for me on track supports has always been on how badly they stand out. Space Mountain and RnRC take care of this by enclosing them in a building and keeping it dark. EE, BTMRR, and Splash conceal them with rock work. On the other coast, California Screamin' is all exposed trackwork, but the coaster itself is part of the theme, and thus the whole package "fits." From the pictures, TRON fall into the same category as Screamin'. On the other hand, most Six Flags coasters make no effort to conceal or built the supports into a bigger picture/theme. That doesn't make them a fail, but to me, knocks the ride down into just a coaster, as opposed to experiencing a "story."

chiefs11

Found it (from the site which won't be named)
CONTEMP-1200x712.png
That isn't the same plot of land... the Tron ride would be on the one to the left of that, on the other side of World Dr. just above Space Mnt.

And if they were to build a hotel there, it would end up having a nice view of the unthemed backside of the huge showbuilding the Tron ride is in. :D

Dan Deesnee

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who love Stitch and Imagination too.

This is a great point and one I tried to make earlier. Someone somewhere will always love a ride, no matter how bad the ride is. Tomorrowland needs a lot of work and something that doesnt fit the theme at all should either be altered to fit or completely removed. Sounds harsh but what is the point of theme in an entire land if it isn't followed? As much as I hate Stitch, at least it sort of fits the theme, you know aliens, futuristic tech, etc. Monsters Inc. doesn't fit at all nor does the Speedway. Carousel is being updated, People Mover, well there is nothing out there at a theme park i've seen before and it has a futuristic theme when riding through it.

Tron is / will be a great addition and fit the theme perfectly. I do agree with what some are saying about not wanting to lose rides for the little ones. In my perfect world, Speedway gets removed and replaced by something equally accessible to young children but more in line with the theme of the land it is in. Behind it would go the Tron coaster.

But this is just my opinion. Obviously I want to see things I hate removed, just like any sane person would, but I don't want it to be at the expense of accessibility in a park that is a real joy for the very little ones among us.

Monorail_Orange

Are you talking about disboards? Steve has said more than once that it's not forbidden to mention the name. I just think you can't link there.

But this does no good if people don't know where to go.
No, it is truly the site that shall not be named. The last thing I heard about this had to do with a new DVC tower potentially being built on the current site of the convention center at the Contemporary.

Bairstow

Dinosaur is painful to you? I know the ride jostles one around a bit, but I haven't found the restraints or seats uncomfortable. Did they change something to the EMV profile during the refurb?

Disney4family

That isn't the same plot of land... the Tron ride would be on the one to the left of that, on the other side of World Dr. just above Space Mnt.

And if they were to build a hotel there, it would end up having a nice view of the unthemed backside of the huge showbuilding the Tron ride is in. :D
I saw. It isn't the same plot.
If they did build it, I guess the park view would not be the desired rooms. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom