Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Q*

I'm glad they're finally adding something like this, because I think the park has needed something on the thrill level of the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland for a long time, I just wish it were Guardians instead of TRON.

Last edited by a moderator:

21stamps

Having spent the last two years kidnapping my nephew to take him to the parks as he grew from 40 to 44, (he just turned 5) I can say there are/were PLENTY of attractions for him before he reached full height at MK. He wore himself out each day before he could even ride everything. It doesn't change anything at all.

Families of all types exist, some have teenagers who get bored with small world and dumbo. While they find BTM/Splash/MT fun, they want to ride SM 5 times and skip the kid rides; Only adding to the congestion that attraction feels. This isn't changing the landscape, it's being smart by alleviating pressure on your E-ticket that wasn't even fixed by adding mine train.

I won't continue the height discussion out of respect for the above request.

I'm just surprised that I'm the only one a little shocked by this.. I'm the last person that I'd ever expect to say something like "Walt's vision...". Lol. People used it with such a thing as alcohol with dinner, but not this- which is changing the entire history of what that park is.

MK will no longer be as one of a kind and unique as it was. That's just a little sad and surprising to me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve - with respect, isn't that being on topic? How it would likely be a 48" requirement? You're the boss- we appreciate you letting us play in your yard- so whatever you say goes, of course- just asking.
I think most people visit this thread are looking for the latest info on the Tron coaster and the impact to Tomorrowland. The last few pages have all been about people's kids and their heights and how that will work (I've deleted a lot of it). Relevant yes, but I dont think its what most people are wanting from the thread. We can always fire up a new thread on that subject if you'd like to carry it on.

21stamps

I think most people visit this thread are looking for the latest info on the Tron coaster and the impact to Tomorrowland. The last few pages have all been about people's kids and their heights and how that will work (I've deleted a lot of it). Relevant yes, but I dont think its what most people are wanting from the thread. We can always fire up a new thread on that subject if you'd like to carry it on.

Speaking for myself specifically, my family won't be effected by the height requirement.
I think it's the change from MK's purpose, and even more- it's one of a kind existence, that is shocking and was worthy of discussion.

But, after it's announcement maybe a thread will discuss it. If not, maybe I'm the only one here a bit shocked by it.lol

nickys

Premium Member
I'm going to act like the Speedway guide-rail and redirect this thread back toward center, but with the understeer I suspect we'll just bounce too far the other way...

What themes (if any) would people prefer for the speedway?
  • Cars (not very Tomorrow-y)
  • Sugar Rush (Wreck-It Ralph)
  • Stitch (mini rockets?)
  • Wall-e (hover chairs)
Are there any other IPs that lend themselves to racing?

I'll throw in my Herbie the Love Bug theme for good measure.

Wall-E? That's something that really doesn't have any profile at the parks. Good thinking. Also it could be the 'W' in any of @marni1971's hints too (great escape, world of wall-e ......).

jaxonp

Like I said the other day- People complained when Disney sat on their butts and added nothing, now they've unleashed the kraken and all people want to do is complain about what's coming... its as if you had a say when they built what they built 30 years ago that you love so much today... have some darn faith!!!!!! My advice, sit back, relax, and enjoy this time as it's a great time to be a theme park fan. Thanks, Universal, for kicking the Walt Disney Company's butt in to overdrive. Thanks, TDO for bringing us all this new stuff.

Disney Springs
FEA
ROL
Pandora
HEA
TSL
SWL
RAT
TRON
EPCOT REDO
MICKEY DHS

The list goes on. If you can't find something to be excited about with all of that above then you need to reevaluate your feelings towards WDW. That list of things above is incredible and is literally more than a 5th gate.

Jrn14

I heard a nasty big toothed rumor that the bean counters are already making cuts to the attraction. I heard that they don't want the cool light up roof for Magic Kingdom? Any truth to that?

Last edited:

bclane

Like I said the other day- People complained when Disney sat on their butts and added nothing, now they've unleashed the kraken and all people want to do is complain about what's coming... its as if you had a say when they built what they built 30 years ago that you love so much today... have some darn faith!!!!!! My advice, sit back, relax, and enjoy this time as it's a great time to be a theme park fan. Thanks, Universal, for kicking the Walt Disney Company's butt in to overdrive. Thanks, TDO for bringing us all this new stuff.

Disney Springs
FEA
ROL
Pandora
HEA
TSL
SWL
RAT
TRON
EPCOT REDO
MICKEY DHS

The list goes on. If you can't find something to be excited about with all of that above then you need to reevaluate your feelings towards WDW. That list of things above is incredible and is literally more than a 5th gate.
Imagine an alternate reality where there was a website like this when Uncle Walt was planning/building Disneyland. I wonder if the threads would sound similar to what we have here or if things would be very different. I for one am completely stoked about what is coming although I can understand where people are coming from with some of the criticism of things that don't line up with their preferences (people are very emotionally invested in Disney and want what they want). I guess I'm a pixie duster though and pretty much every new tidbit of info feels like Christmas to me!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Imagine an alternate reality where there was a website like this when Uncle Walt was planning/building Disneyland. I wonder if the threads would sound similar to what we have here or if things would be very different. I for one am completely stoked about what is coming although I can understand where people are coming from with some of the criticism of things that don't line up with their preferences (people are very emotionally invested in Disney and want what they want). I guess I'm a pixie duster though and pretty much every new tidbit of info feels like Christmas to me!
If he listened to the idiots around here, it would never have been built.

Jordanaous

Given Hong Kong Disneyland's Autopia had electric cars before it was removed last year, how hard would it be for TDO to implement the technology on the Tomorrowland Speedway? After all, charging shouldn't be too much of an issue as there's a metal rail running throughout the entire attraction that could be used for inductive charging of the vehicles. The problem with HK's version was always capacity, shouldn't have that issue in MK...

21stamps

I am usually accused of being a mega pixie duster. Lol.

I love thrill rides, so I'm not complaining about a thrill. I'm definitely shocked by the decision to make that kind of height requirement, instead of a unique, but just as thrilling of a ride, with different restraints. The entire concept of MK/Disneyland was opposite of those kind of limitations.. and they've both adhered to that mission since inception. Now they will share a very common ground with any amusement park visit.. including IoA.. I've never thought the 2 were comparable before.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not exactly complaining, more stunned than anything.

I definitely think it will be a fun ride.

21stamps

There have been 5 movies made with him (not to mention the made-for-TV movie and the short-lived TV series). Herbie the Love Bug is timeless. And if you're going to say that his time has passed, I can only point to Splash Mountain. You create a good attraction, and it will be a good attraction no matter what the subject matter is. As long as the attraction is well thought out and entertaining. It's funny you said, "Why would they bring that franchise back?" when this thread is about Tron.

I'm with ya here. I haven't thought about Tron since I was a kid... and I don't know anything about the "Sugar Rush" that people keep talking about, (had to Google that one) but Herbie is iconic and would easily be popular. .

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm quoting you.. but this is more of a general question/observations..

Since joining this site I have consistently read things about "Walt's vision"
Most of the comments are displaced, a little nonsensical, and sometimes outright funny.

But surprisingly, they aren't being said in relation to Tron.. as in the height requirement, not the thrill (one doesn't need to equal the other).

From my understanding, and by all means I am not a Disney fanatic scholar.. but.. The vision for Disneyland and Magic Kingdom was a place where families can enjoy together.

Maybe some of you don't have kids, and don't realize what the average age of a 48" child is.

That kind of restriction will majorly change what Magic Kingdom is, and what it has always been.
It's one ride. The kiddies will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom