Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

So it's not an entire tear down/rebuild then? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is very interesting to me because that is so rare.

There are several very high rated roller coasters 35, 45 years old and much older that haven't been completely torn down and rebuilt. Some that still hold world records.
None see the amount of riders like Disney does though. I'd love to hear from someone in Disney Imagineering on these issues with Space Mountain and what causes/caused them.. for purely geek purposes. Lol
Why do you bother asking questions if you’re just going to ignore the answers? Space Mountain was completely gutted and it had to do with the on-board audio and “ride these rides to failure.” Steel does have a fatigue limit.

21stamps

Why do you bother asking questions if you’re just going to ignore the answers? Space Mountain was completely gutted and it had to do with the on-board audio and “ride these rides to failure.” Steel does have a fatigue limit.

I'm asking because Disney World's do not have on-board audio...which you stated as the problem for DL. Or do they, and I've just been completely unaware for the past 30 years?

If Matterhorn is older, and hasn't needed a demo/rebuild.. then I'm curious if Space Mountain was built differently. Different materials, design, etc that requires it.
Is there an expected life span as in amount of rides..

lazyboy97o

I'm asking because Disney World's do not have on-board audio...which you stated as the problem for DL. Or do they, and I've just been completely unaware for the past 30 years?

If Matterhorn is older, and hasn't needed a demo/rebuild.. then I'm curious if Space Mountain was built differently. Different materials, design, etc that requires it.
Disneyland’s newer coaster failed sooner because of the on-board audio. The Matterhorn has had repeated, extensive rebuilding to avoid a singular replacement.

21stamps

Disneyland’s newer coaster failed sooner because of the on-board audio. The Matterhorn has had repeated, extensive rebuilding to avoid a singular replacement.

Ok. So that's an answer. Sounds like Disney World's Space Mountain has had less refurbishments which would lead to needing something so crazy.

Seems like an awfully expensive way to maintain an attraction.

Bairstow

While Matterhorn and the Florida version of Space Mountain are similar coasters in many ways, they are by no means identical layouts. Also factor in that Matterhorn is partially outdoors and frequently wet even in dry weather as sleds drip water onto the track after the splashdown section.

To my knowledge, the Tokyo version of Space Mountain, which is essentially the same as the Anaheim version, has never been fully re-tracked, but its cars never had the onboard audio installed, either.

21stamps

Not refurbished, rebuilding with new parts. There’s nothing crazy about it.

Maybe we're just talking about two different things. When I read "needs to be torn down" and " needs to be rebuilt" that's exactly what I'm picturing. An entire leveling and starting over. Not modifications/repairs/improvements like most coasters get.

While Matterhorn and the Florida version of Space Mountain are similar coasters in many ways, they are by no means identical layouts. Also factor in that Matterhorn is partially outdoors and frequently wet even in dry weather as sleds drip water onto the track after the splashdown section.

To my knowledge, the Tokyo version of Space Mountain, which is essentially the same as the Anaheim version, has never been fully re-tracked, but its cars never had the onboard audio installed, either.

Interesting, thanks. I'm a bit of a coaster nerd. Sorry for all of the questions.lol

Jeffxz

Not gonna lie; I spent way too much time that I should've been sleeping last night trying to puzzle out 220.
I'm not at my sharpest in the wee hours...

Here's my wild guess on 220.

The soarin expansion was named "Project 72" because each theater has 72 seats.

Are we looking at a "Project 220"? What attraction has 220 seats? Tiki Room maybe?

Absimilliard

Another edit, just for fun:

35882053675_dc2e232259_b.jpg

Amazing work and if the end result is similar to that... WOW.

Absimilliard

The Tokyo Disneyland Space Mountain got some track replacement and new cars back in 2007. It currently has 6-7 weeks of refurbishment every year and the whispers I hear is they are slowly working toward a full track replacement using those closure periods.

The best proof that track work has been done on Space Mountain there is in the Intamin reference list: what do you find among the 2007 projects? This entry: ROLLER COASTER DARK RIDE OLC JAPAN .

lazyboy97o

Maybe we're just talking about two different things. When I read "needs to be torn down" and " needs to be rebuilt" that's exactly what I'm picturing. An entire leveling and starting over. Not modifications/repairs/improvements like most coasters get.
Ripping our and replacing whole chunks is much more significant than repairs. If you replace the first ⅓ of the track in Year 1, the second ⅓ in Year 2 and the last third in Year 3 you have completely replaced everything just as if you had torn it all down and started over.

21stamps

When I'm riding MK's SM, there IS on-board audio -- it usually goes "ouch!" "damn!" "crap!" "my neck!" "never again!" and the like...

Umm..have you ever ridden an old wooden roller coaster? Or what about the Vortex?lol.
Seriously, my kid has maxed out- due to my insisting- at 6 consecutive times on that one.
I swear that I was in pain for 3 days after!

Disney World's Space Mountain feels like a brand new coaster to me after the experiences of what we ride all summer.lol

Absimilliard

Regarding Tron Lightcycles, I am curious as to how Disney will deal with larger guests and disabled guests?

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

This picture from the prototype Vekoma Motorcycle Coaster show the restraint: you saddle the bike, press your chest against the right black pad and then pull the handles back. This cause the back rest to move down and you're good to go once its locked. At 6'3, 280 lbs, its a bit of a tight fit, but I was ok. Knowing the average WDW guest, I figure they will expand on the "TAV" cars present on the Shanghai Tron Lightcycles.

Two trains in Shanghai see their last car motorcycles replaced with standard seating and lap bar. Knowing the insane demand with guests requiring assistance or won't be able to get the back rest locked, will we see every train equipped with the TAV car at WDW? My friend shot this video of what the ride looks like from the TAV vehicle.

21stamps

Regarding Tron Lightcycles, I am curious as to how Disney will deal with larger guests and disabled guests?

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

This picture from the prototype Vekoma Motorcycle Coaster show the restraint: you saddle the bike, press your chest against the right black pad and then pull the handles back. This cause the back rest to move down and you're good to go once its locked. At 6'3, 280 lbs, its a bit of a tight fit, but I was ok. Knowing the average WDW guest, I figure they will expand on the "TAV" cars present on the Shanghai Tron Lightcycles.

Two trains in Shanghai see their last car motorcycles replaced with standard seating and lap bar. Knowing the insane demand with guests requiring assistance or won't be able to get the back rest locked, will we see every train equipped with the TAV car at WDW? My friend shot this video of what the ride looks like from the TAV vehicle.

Whatever they do, I hope that it's not as problematic as what some people riding/attempting to ride are reporting. Or I hope that those people are just exaggerating..

yensidtlaw1969

I'm more excited about the return of the Saturn V rocket to the top of Rocket Tower Plaza in this image than I am about Tron.
Don't get too excited, I just plucked the first piece of Tomorrowlamd concept art out of Google that showed an angle anywhere near sympathetic to the art for TRON in Shanghai. There's no weight to this art beyond what my grubby fingers could manage in about 10 minutes in Photoshop.

Absimilliard

Whatever they do, I hope that it's not as problematic as what some people riding/attempting to ride are reporting. Or I hope that those people are just exaggerating..

I rode two other Motorcycle Coasters in the world and its as bad as they say. The green one in the picture is from when I rode the prototype in the Netherlands and I also rode the one at Chimelong Paradise in China. When I rode the one at Chimelong, I shivered when I though of the "pooh sized" WDW guests trying to cram themselves on it...

21stamps

I rode two other Motorcycle Coasters in the world and its as bad as they say. The green one in the picture is from when I rode the prototype in the Netherlands and I also rode the one at Chimelong Paradise in China. When I rode the one at Chimelong, I shivered when I though of the "pooh sized" WDW guests trying to cram themselves on it...

Hmm. That's interesting. Thanks. Doesn't look like it would be as fun with normal seats. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom