Project Z

stitch2008

But if this Project Z is a Tron ride, does anyone want to take a guess as to what the name would be? Tron: The Ride or something like Tron: (fill in the blank)?

the-reason14

I hate to ask a question that doesn't have to do with Sarah Palin or Potter vs Star Wars. But if this Project Z is a Tron ride, does anyone want to take a guess as to what the name would be? Tron: The Ride or something like Tron: (fill in the blank)?

Tron: The experience

The Mom

Premium Member
Let's keep this on topic and leave all the nonsense out of is thread.

Sorry Boss! I didn't see you on the next page.

But, while we're at it - there is NO advertising allowed here without permission, including links to other websites. Thanks.

PirateFrank

Actually, I think the Star Wars discussion was sorta about this Tron attraction...

my point is that the more I think about this attraction, the more I think it's poorly conceived.

If Disney doesn't release a 3rd Tron movie(and recent indicators suggest that they are backing off the idea), they will be developing an attraction tied to a movie that was a near bomb in the 80s and another that was mediocre in reception in 2010.

That just doesn't compute to me....and If they are going to start building attractions that take a swat at potter, they need to think about the timeless aspect of an attraction.

Why base it 2 underperforming movies? I think anything in tomorrowland associated with a movie is immediately dated anyway....why does it have to be associated with a movie. A great attraction doesn't need a movie tied to it....

stitch2008

Actually, I think the Star Wars discussion was sorta about this Tron attraction...

my point is that the more I think about this attraction, the more I think it's poorly conceived.

If Disney doesn't release a 3rd Tron movie(and recent indicators suggest that they are backing off the idea), they will be developing an attraction tied to a movie that was a near bomb in the 80s and another that was mediocre in reception in 2010.

That just doesn't compute to me....and If they are going to start building attractions that take a swat at potter, they need to think about the timeless aspect of an attraction.

Why base it 2 underperforming movies? I think anything in tomorrowland associated with a movie is immediately dated anyway....why does it have to be associated with a movie. A great attraction doesn't need a movie tied to it....

Because it doesn't matter how the movie does. Lilo and Stitch was a pretty successful movie, but is SGE that good? No. Does anyone who isn't up to date with Disney knowledge know much about Song of the South? No. But Splash Mountain is one of the best rides at MK. I think mentioned about the original Alice in Wonderland not being really successful but we have the Tea Cups. Good Movies dont always equal good attractions. Just like bad movies dont equal bad attractions. If WDI thinks they can make a good Tron ride, I'm all for it.

And your right. A great attraction doesn't need a movie tied to it. Everest and Soarin' are good examples. It just seems like Disney is trying to make attractions that the public can relate to. Oh it's a Little Mermaid ride. Or Snow White mine ride. Or Tron light cycle ride. Or whatever.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
19 pages about a something that may or may not happen at somewhere it may or may not be built at...

...talking about something that may be the wrong project anyway....

:lol:

flavious27

the parking lot area back there is plenty big enough to house Carousel of Progress...not the expansion parking lot that replaced the old theater, but the OTHER part of the parking lot. And seriously, there is no need for THAT MANY parking spots back there. When i used to work at the Magic Kingdom that lot was never even halfway full. I think managers are just using that as a convenience nowdays:p park closer, walk less. Personally, I'd like to see more of this area filled up with an attraction than build one outside of the railroad tracks.

backparking.jpg

If you stretch out the show building, then maybe the square footage of CoP fits but for a proper ride it would need to be the size of space mountain and that space requirement dwarfs that space. The problem would also be how tall the building will be and if it is going to overshadow the east side of the square.

flavious27

i wouldn't be surprised to see it north of Space mountain. It maybe isnt the most logistically best area, but it is the biggest.

Well that path is underused, which is why I like it. This is just a rough copy and paste of the rock n rolling coaster placed on the plot north of SM.

tronride.jpg

HamTown

I think a Tron concept ride would work regardless of the popularity of the movies. I haven't seen Tron, but from the commercials, the visuals are stunning.

When you think about Tomorrowland, what do you think of, visually? At night you have all the neon. Lights. What is the visual of Tron? Lights.

Who cares about the plot of the movie, I think it just fits in with the area. Put a novel coaster in that setting and you've got yourself a great E-ticket.

flavious27

Agreed. I guess I will just never understand some of the hate around here for Steve Jobs. In my opinion he is a true innovator and visionary.

Those complaining about Jobs caring about profits need to realize that without the huge profits, the progress you desire would not be possible. Companies like Apple give consumers what they want, and therefore, are successful. Apple sees that if they continue to invest in products that their customers want and view as superior that the people will buy them and they will continue to be successful. Imagine that.

I know the first argument against my statement will be that instead of spending on progress Disney just figures out more ways to save money, and there is definitely a lot of truth to that. However, that will only work for so long. We are already seeing Disney realizing this with expansions to DCA and Fantasyland. Perhaps if Disney had someone like Jobs at the helm, we would have seen a lot more a lot sooner.

Well the brains behind the start of the company, the guy that made the designs and products was woz, jobs has always been the marketer. I can't stand the way he talks about his products like they are light years ahead of everybody, but he is able to get away with it because of the following he created.

There are some similarities with walt but disney co was started by two people that were part of the company until their deaths. In all likelihood, apple will not survive with jobs being gone, his vision is what is steering the company.

flavious27

It's a shame, too. I feel that DHS could easily be a rival to WWoHP or IoA, but they're just stuck with so few rides there. If they could add even 25% to it, all with rides (and not shows), they could easily make DHS a destination that people will seek out.

Expand Pixar Place with the Monsters coaster, add a Marvel World. Do that, and you could shut down IoA all together.

It will take more than that to drain guests from IOA, along with another marvel won't be at wdw for a bit.

As for being a rival, dhs usually has about double the attendance of ioa. As for needing more thrill rides, dhs was intended to be a rival to uni in the backstage movie studio category. DHS could add onto the 2 thrill rides that are there now, but it isn't going to add another 2 coasters and two log flumes rides to rival ioa.

flavious27

Star Wars could be an answer to Potter but Disney has to get Lucas to agree. That wouldn't be cheap and it may also be something Lucas is not interested in. Who knows, he may have his own plans in mind for the future. :shrug:

Lucas would only care if he has to pay.

flavious27

How did this thread turn into a debate over the timelessness of Star Wars and Marvel?

A theme park attraction can help make a franchise. It can define something more timeless than the movie on which it was based.

For example; Alice in Wonderland wasn't a commercial success during its release. Splash Mountain... Song of the south? Wha?

This can also go the other way... the film Swiss Family Robinson is considered a classic, but the attraction hasn't held up well in popularity.

My point is only that a great attraction will hold up, regardless of the strength of the "franchise." It may enhance the franchise.

Wasn't there discussion about florida football 5 pages ago? Any thread turns into random topics after like 2 pages.

KevinYee

Back in 2007, Jim Hill was reporting on plans to remake Adventureland into all-pirates: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2007/06/01/why-for-today.aspx

...as the first blueprints for a Potter reaction. Now that Potter really did hit it big, maybe these plans are back on the table?

- Remove treehouse, replace with Black Pearl playground
- Re-theme tiki room
- Re-open the veranda
- Build an e-Ticket that has Sparrow and Barbossa leading us through a jungle temple (Jim invoked Japan's Raging Spirits as a similar type of ride, though with different [and less] theming)

flavious27

Back in 2007, Jim Hill was reporting on plans to remake Adventureland into all-pirates: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2007/06/01/why-for-today.aspx

...as the first blueprints for a Potter reaction. Now that Potter really did hit it big, maybe these plans are back on the table?

- Remove treehouse, replace with Black Pearl playground
- Re-theme tiki room
- Re-open the veranda
- Build an e-Ticket that has Sparrow and Barbossa leading us through a jungle temple (Jim invoked Japan's Raging Spirits as a similar type of ride, though with different [and less] theming)

I hope not. Changing an entire themed land filled with different storylines to just one franchise isn't a disney thing and it isn't with much thought of how dated the land will be 5 or 10 years later. This is one of the main reason why we don't like how uni went about adding wwhp to ioa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom