Project Z

tirian

Honestly, I don't know that that's true. I'm sure Disney has exclusive rights, but as I understand it, they've only licensed the SW characters for one ride. Building a SW addition would probably mean having to draw up a whole new contract and paying much more to Lucas.

But, it's something they could do if they wanted to. I just don't think they want to pay anyone else for rights when they have so many properties underdeveloped of their own. That said, I sure wish they'd do it and I'm sure it would be incredibly profitable. Seeing what the draw is for WWoHP, I'm sure it would much, much more for Star Wars.

Your last two sentences summarize it completely: they would have to pay royalties, but the area would be so profitable that it wouldn't matter.

Supposedly, Eisner's strained relationship with Lucas prevented Star Tours updates and additional attractions. Maybe that could be fixed now?

zooey

Star Wars could be an answer to Potter but Disney has to get Lucas to agree. That wouldn't be cheap and it may also be something Lucas is not interested in. Who knows, he may have his own plans in mind for the future. :shrug:

If it involves getting paid, I'm pretty sure he'd sign off on it.

PirateFrank

Star Wars could be an answer to Potter but Disney has to get Lucas to agree. That wouldn't be cheap and it may also be something Lucas is not interested in. Who knows, he may have his own plans in mind for the future. :shrug:

Oh, Im not disagreeing with you. I suspect to pull off a Star Wars thing would certainly require a significant licensing investment.

I'm just saying that I think it's one of the few things that can be a true Potter Swatter. I don't think Marvel has the traction to do it. I don't think Lord of the rings has the traction to do it. I've seen far more absurd suggestions, like Bond and Star Trek....

all don't come close to Star Wars. I have my issues with the movies as do most people....but at the end of the day they carry far more of the immersive fantasy than any of the above mentions movies do....and that's what's needed to convince the muggles that WWOHP isn't worth coming off of WDW property for.

Now in an effort to push this thread back on topic...I have to say this.

I've spent the past several days thinking about Tron and something really bothers me. Back in the first few pages of this thread, Raven said this:

Here's the thing with building an attraction, especially an "E-ticket" attraction: It has to have staying power.

Attractions take a very long to from concept to the time it actually opens. If WDI were to start drawing up plans for an attraction on the next big Disney movie before the movie is released to the public, they risk the change of the movie bombing in theatres and they'd scrap their ideas. If they wait to see how well a movie does before they decide then they risk the hype dying down by the time the attraction opens.

What I am saying is that if they base a movie off of a film or character, it needs to either have been around for a while with gaining popularity or they can draw upon movies and ideas from the past with the same staying power. The opposite of this would be to build a whole new original attraction that has nothing to with Disney movies or current characters.

So it's strange to hear the odd suggestions thrown out like "I hope it's a Homeward Bound ride!" or "Maybe something to do with Enchanted." (These are just examples, not actual quotes).

If you want to have an idea what they might be planning, you have to start thinking like an Imagineer. :animwink:

How exactly does Tron fit this mindset?

To me, it doesn't. Prior to any knowledge of Tron:Legacy being in production, Tron was barely an afterthought. It was a considerably more obscure cult favorite than 'Escape From NY' with all the cheesiness of 'The Last Starfighter.' If anyone actually watched the original recently, you'd see that it was as 'tomorrow' as Gil Gerard's Buck Rogers.

So they come out with this Tron:Legacy....pull the original off the shelves everywhere so no one can reference it (unless you grabbed it off of a budget bin for $1.99 last summer, like I did)....and they're thinking this movie will have enough staying power to get people into an attraction that will likely be completed 3-5 years from now? It doesn't make sense...at all.

Seriously....unless Disney is considering greenlighting Tron 3 (and from what I've read, that isn't definite anymore in light of the lower than expected box office numbers from Tron:Legacy) we're talking about an attraction with hype that will most definitely die down by the time the attraction opens.

Even if they release Tron 3....and coordinate it with a Tron E-ticket ride....what happens 20 years from now? Is anyone out there going to be able to say with a straight face that a Tron attraction wont look completely dated 20 years from now? Especially given the fact that the original tron was dated 5 years from its original release?

I'd love to hear the thinking here....really.

Again, I still think Adventure land needed the love before tomorrow land....and there was more potential for a truly immersive ride.....but if someone were to build something in Tomorrowland, it REALLY needed to have zero attachment to a movie or pre-determined characterization.

jt04

Oh, Im not disagreeing with you. I suspect to pull off a Star Wars thing would certainly require a significant licensing investment.

I'm just saying that I think it's one of the few things that can be a true Potter Swatter. I don't think Marvel has the traction to do it. I don't think Lord of the rings has the traction to do it. I've seen far more absurd suggestions, like Bond and Star Trek....

all don't come close to Star Wars. I have my issues with the movies as do most people....but at the end of the day they carry far more of the immersive fantasy than any of the above mentions movies do....and that's what's needed to convince the muggles that WWOHP isn't worth coming off of WDW property for.

I agree and I have thought of a way they could immerse people completely in the Star Wars universe and relatively inexpensively. Soon I will add it to that forum. I just think Lucas would probably demand too high a price and it could be Disney will go after Potter with many smaller projects.

Now in an effort to push this thread back on topic...I have to say this.

I've spent the past several days thinking about Tron and something really bothers me. Back in the first few pages of this thread, Raven said this:

How exactly does Tron fit this mindset?

To me, it doesn't. Prior to any knowledge of Tron:Legacy being in production, Tron was barely an afterthought. It was a considerably more obscure cult favorite than 'Escape From NY' with all the cheesiness of 'The Last Starfighter.' If anyone actually watched the original recently, you'd see that it was as 'tomorrow' as Gil Gerard's Buck Rogers.

So they come out with this Tron:Legacy....pull the original off the shelves everywhere so no one can reference it (unless you grabbed it off of a budget bin for $1.99 last summer, like I did)....and they're thinking this movie will have enough staying power to get people into an attraction that will likely be completed 3-5 years from now? It doesn't make sense...at all.

Seriously....unless Disney is considering greenlighting Tron 3 (and from what I've read, that isn't definite anymore in light of the lower than expected box office numbers from Tron:Legacy) we're talking about an attraction with hype that will most definitely die down by the time the attraction opens.

Even if they release Tron 3....and coordinate it with a Tron E-ticket ride....what happens 20 years from now? Is anyone out there going to be able to say with a straight face that a Tron attraction wont look completely dated 20 years from now? Especially given the fact that the original tron was dated 5 years from its original release?

I'd love to hear the thinking here....really.

Again, I still think Adventure land needed the love before tomorrow land....and there was more potential for a truly immersive ride.....but if someone were to build something in Tomorrowland, it REALLY needed to have zero attachment to a movie or pre-determined characterization.

I think a TRON attraction is likely Blue Sky depending almost entirely on how the DVD does. If the DVD does blockbuster that my bet is the third movie will get the greenlight and likely an attraction also.

I think TDO and others may be looking at Tomorrowland first because it may be perceived as the land that is most dated and somewhat out of style. The MK version is particularly incoherent in my opinion and they may be thinking the same thing.

WDW FTW

Sorry guys, but Star Wars is by no means a "Potter Swatter" somebody mentioned a few posts up that Marvel characters are old timey.... well so is the entire star wars franchise. They havent made a renewed movie since 2005? All the others look way to old and low tech for kids to like em nowadays. To be honest the only thing the majority of the kids care about in relevance to star wars is hitting eachother with light sabers. I dont think there needs to be an answer to HP because its a great addition to Universal which bring people back to Orlando. And Disney is Orlando, with Universal as an appetizer...
I just dont want to see an arms race, i want the creative juices to continue flowing to bring the best and most unique attractions to WDW

NoChesterHester

Sorry guys, but Star Wars is by no means a "Potter Swatter" somebody mentioned a few posts up that Marvel characters are old timey.... well so is the entire star wars franchise. They havent made a renewed movie since 2005? All the others look way to old and low tech for kids to like em nowadays. To be honest the only thing the majority of the kids care about in relevance to star wars is hitting eachother with light sabers. I dont think there needs to be an answer to HP because its a great addition to Universal which bring people back to Orlando. And Disney is Orlando, with Universal as an appetizer...
I just dont want to see an arms race, i want the creative juices to continue flowing to bring the best and most unique attractions to WDW

The "arms race" is exactly the thing that would bring "the best and most unique attractions to WDW.". We saw what happened in 2003-2005 when IOA wasn't the hit Disney feared... stagnation set into any expansion plans for the parks.

Star Wars has transcended to classic. It isnt "dated" because of that...

Star Wars will always draw. The franchise has staying power because it crosses multiple generations and continues to draw in new audience. When Potter is 35 years removed from initial opening then we can put it on the same level as Star Wars. Besides, it sells LOTS of merchandise.

lazyboy97o

You are forgetting the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. The new blu-ray releases. The 3D rereleases that will start hitting theaters in 2012. All of the video games that keep being sold. The books. The comics. The Lego sets. The recent 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back was acknowledged by many. If there is one thing Lucas has done right with Star Wars, it is keeping something out there, be it rereleases or the Expanded Universe.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The "arms race" is exactly the thing that would bring "the best and most unique attractions to WDW.". We saw what happened in 2003-2005 when IOA wasn't the hit Disney feared... stagnation set into any expansion plans for the parks.

Star Wars has transcended to classic. It isnt "dated" because of that...

Star Wars will always draw. The franchise has staying power because it crosses multiple generations and continues to draw in new audience. When Potter is 35 years removed from initial opening then we can put it on the same level as Star Wars. Besides, it sells LOTS of merchandise.

Agreed, we need an "arms race" for competition, so both sides are stepping up and making new attractions more frequently

zooey

You couldn't be more wrong about Star Wars as a franchise. Also, just to emphasis a point, FLE is getting a brand new mine car ride based on Snow White, which was released in 1937. True art is timeless, and despite what you might think otherwise, the original Star Wars films are just that and will continue to be consumed for many, many decades.

PirateFrank

Wow! Um....no!

Star Wars is timeless......again, I revert back to my statement that you need to show a kid star wars and then show him anything else.....there's not much in the world that compares. Seriously. My son would watch all 6 star wars movies over and over and over again.....

I show him spiderman or x-men and he's bored halfway through.

Star Wars, done right, could last decades. Tron may last a half a year, tops. X-men is already dead. So's spiderman.

To me, there are very few franchises that are timeless...Potter's one. So's Star wars. Time will tell if POTC will hold up. I love it...but I think it wont fall under the timeless category.

Marvel? not so much....someone used the statement...5000 marvel characters vs Han Solo. My son would instantly recognize Han Solo but would likely call Wolverine the Green Lantern if he were quized.

Jrn14

I think Spiderman was a great franchise, but for some reason they are already "rebooting" it... what do I know

lazyboy97o

Wow! Um....no!

Star Wars is timeless......again, I revert back to my statement that you need to show a kid star wars and then show him anything else.....there's not much in the world that compares. Seriously. My son would watch all 6 star wars movies over and over and over again.....

I show him spiderman or x-men and he's bored halfway through.

Star Wars, done right, could last decades. Tron may last a half a year, tops. X-men is already dead. So's spiderman.

To me, there are very few franchises that are timeless...Potter's one. So's Star wars. Time will tell if POTC will hold up. I love it...but I think it wont fall under the timeless category.

Marvel? not so much....someone used the statement...5000 marvel characters vs Han Solo. My son would instantly recognize Han Solo but would likely call Wolverine the Green Lantern if he were quized.
I am sorry, but several of the Marvel characters have been in the public consciousness since before Star Wars hit theaters. Anecdotal evidence does not speak for the populace.

NoChesterHester

How did this thread turn into a debate over the timelessness of Star Wars and Marvel?

A theme park attraction can help make a franchise. It can define something more timeless than the movie on which it was based.

For example; Alice in Wonderland wasn't a commercial success during its release. Splash Mountain... Song of the south? Wha?

This can also go the other way... the film Swiss Family Robinson is considered a classic, but the attraction hasn't held up well in popularity.

My point is only that a great attraction will hold up, regardless of the strength of the "franchise." It may enhance the franchise.

bugsbunny

You are forgetting the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. The new blu-ray releases. The 3D rereleases that will start hitting theaters in 2012. All of the video games that keep being sold. The books. The comics. The Lego sets. The recent 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back was acknowledged by many. If there is one thing Lucas has done right with Star Wars, it is keeping something out there, be it rereleases or the Expanded Universe.

Basically, everything Lucas had done since the original 3 Star Wars has been crap. More cartoons or putting it on Bluray isn't going to excite the masses except for the geeky diehards who dress up like a Wookie for the next convention. I saw Star Wars in the movies back in the late 70s. It was earth shattering special effects for the period, but they just started going downhill after the first one, much like the Indy franchise.

Amazing how you can get 6 year old boys hooked on Star Wars watching the original ones.. Oh and that was last year with them watching them..

Star Wars is bigger than Potter.. Wanna know why?

Star Wars the reason why its so big is that there are People that love it. There are people that will watch it even if they don't like Sci-Fi or science movies.. You can't really say that on Potter's genre.

Star Wars is a lot wider of an audience than Potter is and probably ever will be.

RSoxNo1

I actually view Harry Potter and Star Wars as very similar franchises. I don't think either franchise is divisive (Although some people will argue that Potter is sacrilegious... yeah I thought I'd through the religious argument into this debate as well).

Both franchises have their ardent supporters who will defend the franchise to no end. Most often those detractors have dismissed the franchise before giving it a reasonable chance.

Before anyone says "I've seen Star Wars and I hate it", or "I read the first Harry Potter book and thought it was boring and formulaic." First off, you're not better than anyone on here, stop acting like it. Second off, learn what is meant by the generalizations I made in the previous paragraph.

lazyboy97o

Basically, everything Lucas had done since the original 3 Star Wars has been crap. More cartoons or putting it on Bluray isn't going to excite the masses except for the geeky diehards who dress up like a Wookie for the next convention. I saw Star Wars in the movies back in the late 70s. It was earth shattering special effects for the period, but they just started going downhill after the first one, much like the Indy franchise.
Again, your person thoughts on the franchise does not matter. Cartoon Network keeps ordering new episodes of The Clone Wars because people are watching. Many people would also argue that The Empire Strikes Back, and not Star Wars, is the best film of the series. We may not like it, but the prequel trilogy and its related material has made a lot of people, particularly children, fans of the series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom