Project Z

juniorthomas

You're right, Uni wouldn't matter. Walt would be miles and miles ahead of them.

To me, Hollywood Studios is a perfect example. You could drastically expand that park and double the capacity. It could easily be WDW's second most popular gate. Add things like a mini-CarsLand, the MI coaster, an Incredibles attraction, a true ToonTown, a fully-realized Lucasland. All of these things are within Disney's ability to do but current management can't see past the initial investment to actually take that kind of jump.

It's a shame, too. I feel that DHS could easily be a rival to WWoHP or IoA, but they're just stuck with so few rides there. If they could add even 25% to it, all with rides (and not shows), they could easily make DHS a destination that people will seek out.

Expand Pixar Place with the Monsters coaster, add a Marvel World. Do that, and you could shut down IoA all together.

Ignohippo

DHS is not exactly the easiet park to expand if I had to guess. And putting all the money in at once is just spending money badly.

DHS is getting an updated E-ticket and (hopefully) another E-ticket with Monsters Inc 2 on the way... or maybe even a new Muppet Movie.

Epcot will also probably never lose its #2 title unless people forget how awesome it is :p kidding, but maybe it will lose its #2 title if it doesn't get another headliner within the next few years =/

Also, Disney's Animal Kingdom wants a slice of that funding pie.

DHS could and should be the thrill park. It could easily rival IOA in quality of attractions and appeal. There's plenty of space to use in the backlot and Fantasim/BatB areas and it could be expanded outside the berm for LucasLand (and a future Marvel area) where the entrance road is now. If you do those things, you drastically increase the capacity. Disney would also capture an audience of 12-24 year olds, which is something WDW is sorely lacking now.

While AK definitely needs some love, it's always going to be a glorified zoo. You could make it more enticing and more of a full day park, but in the end you're still appealing to the same people that would probably go there anyway now. Adding that it needs to close early, AK is one park where spending a boatload of cash may not see the rewards.

Ohboy!

It's a shame, too. I feel that DHS could easily be a rival to WWoHP or IoA, but they're just stuck with so few rides there. If they could add even 25% to it, all with rides (and not shows), they could easily make DHS a destination that people will seek out.

Expand Pixar Place with the Monsters coaster, add a Marvel World. Do that, and you could shut down IoA all together.

WWoHP is part of IoA, they're not separate gates. There are a lot of great rides at IoA...you could double the size of DHS and you're still not going to shut down IoA...that's just ridiculous. Besides, the proximity of US, IoA, and SW is a good thing. They all feed off of each other, as one park's hot new attraction means an influx of tourists for all parks. Not to mention that the more major gates there are in the area, the more spread out the guests are, helping with capacity issues.

MileLongBar

Expand Pixar Place with the Monsters coaster, add a Marvel World. Do that, and you could shut down IoA all together.[/QUOT

They can't build anything Marvel within 250 miles of Universal Orlando Resort. Trust me. They can sell merchandise, but cannot build rides based on them. Which I'm thankful for and I'm also thankful for Disney not getting Harry Potter! Disneys face is the timeless ageless mouse.

juniorthomas

WWoHP is part of IoA, they're not separate gates. There are a lot of great rides at IoA...you could double the size of DHS and you're still not going to shut down IoA...that's just ridiculous. Besides, the proximity of US, IoA, and SW is a good thing. They all feed off of each other, as one park's hot new attraction means an influx of tourists for all parks. Not to mention that the more major gates there are in the area, the more spread out the guests are, helping with capacity issues.

Of course it wouldn't actually shut down IoA, but if you could put enough into DHS that it would make people really have to choose between Universal or DHS, that would be as good as shutting it down. Its the "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" thing.

Bottom line, Disney isn't likely to plus DHS like that all at once. I doubt you'd see them do it in anything less than a span of ten years, which basically defeats the purpose.

juniorthomas

Expand Pixar Place with the Monsters coaster, add a Marvel World. Do that, and you could shut down IoA all together.[/QUOT

They can't build anything Marvel within 250 miles of Universal Orlando Resort. Trust me. They can sell merchandise, but cannot build rides based on them. Which I'm thankful for and I'm also thankful for Disney not getting Harry Potter! Disneys face is the timeless ageless mouse.

Iger mentioned that he wanted to honor existing Marvel theme park contracts, but you have to think that at some point down the line, Universal would want to step away from characters that are owned by a rival company. That may not happen next year, but it will happen one day.

tirian

Who cares about Marvel? Disney already has the right to use the Star Wars universe, and they waited about twenty years to update one simulator. SW would be a real "Potter Swatter," not Spiderman.

juniorthomas

Who cares about Marvel? Disney already has the right to use the Star Wars universe, and they waited about twenty years to update one simulator. SW would be a real "Potter Swatter," not Spiderman.

Over 5,000 new characters to use? I think a lot of people would care about that.

lebeau

Marvel-based rides will do well, but the 5000 number is meaningless, really.
People really only care about maybe 10-15 of them.

What? You don't think people will line up for Squirrel Girl's Nut Coaster? Or Dr. Druid's Drop?

lebeau

Iger mentioned that he wanted to honor existing Marvel theme park contracts, but you have to think that at some point down the line, Universal would want to step away from characters that are owned by a rival company. That may not happen next year, but it will happen one day.

Universal still writes the same check to Marvel as they did before the merger. Why would Disney cashing the check suddenly make this a bad deal for them? I don't see any reason for Universal to be unhappy with the arrangement. If they could liscence Mickey under similar terms, they probably would.

baymenxpac

i would have to agree. personally, i really couldn't care less about marvel characters, but i understand they have traction with others. but star wars is SO underutilized it isn't even funny. and IMO carries much more sustainable relevance than even HP.

tirian

Over 5,000 new characters to use? I think a lot of people would care about that.

That's almost like saying the 5,000 Marvel characters are more important than Darth Vader or Han Solo. Can anyone name half of the 5,000 unimportant creations nobody cares about? :shrug:

I know every thread eventually goes off topic, but this one has spiraled out of control :lol: None of the discussions matter anyway, because Project Z takes place on the Grid.

tirian

Universal still writes the same check to Marvel as they did before the merger. Why would Disney cashing the check suddenly make this a bad deal for them? I don't see any reason for Universal to be unhappy with the arrangement. If they could liscence Mickey under similar terms, they probably would.

They already do in Tokyo, and it works very well.

Yep, and they're all inside Universal.

Seriously, Disney, give us an expanded Star Wars area at the Studios. *please*

Ignohippo

Disney already has the right to use the Star Wars universe, and they waited about twenty years to update one simulator.

Honestly, I don't know that that's true. I'm sure Disney has exclusive rights, but as I understand it, they've only licensed the SW characters for one ride. Building a SW addition would probably mean having to draw up a whole new contract and paying much more to Lucas.

But, it's something they could do if they wanted to. I just don't think they want to pay anyone else for rights when they have so many properties underdeveloped of their own. That said, I sure wish they'd do it and I'm sure it would be incredibly profitable. Seeing what the draw is for WWoHP, I'm sure it would much, much more for Star Wars.

jt04

That is because the Disney marketing machine has not kicked in yet as it pertains to Marvel. Not to mention for the new characters Marvel will be developing specifically for all of Disney's platforms. In the same manner that Disney has learned to develop pop stars they will be developing Marvel characters. Before you know it young people who only know this new Marvel/Disney product will see the old characters as "lame" and "old fashioned". Including many at IoA. Which is why Transformers may be announced sooner rather than later for IoA. The Marvel deal is a juggernaut.

Honestly, I don't know that that's true. I'm sure Disney has exclusive rights, but as I understand it, they've only licensed the SW characters for one ride. Building a SW addition would probably mean having to draw up a whole new contract and paying much more to Lucas.

But, it's something they could do if they wanted to. I just don't think they want to pay anyone else for rights when they have so many properties underdeveloped of their own. That said, I sure wish they'd do it and I'm sure it would be incredibly profitable. Seeing what the draw is for WWoHP, I'm sure it would much, much more for Star Wars.

Exactly. Lucas still owns Star Wars whereas Disney owns Marvel completely. The comparisson is apples/oranges.

PirateFrank

I agree. In fact Star Wars is the one franchise that could be used to swat potter. The idea that Marvel could do it is rediculous. There isn't a Marvel character/storyline that carries the same immersive, richness that star wars does.

...and all one has to do to prove this is to take their 5-8 year old kid....put them in front of a star wars movie, an x-men or spiderman movie....and see which movie the kid asks to see the sequel from.

jt04

I agree. In fact Star Wars is the one franchise that could be used to swat potter. The idea that Marvel could do it is rediculous. There isn't a Marvel character/storyline that carries the same immersive, richness that star wars does.

...and all one has to do to prove this is to take their 5-8 year old kid....put them in front of a star wars movie, an x-men or spiderman movie....and see which movie the kid asks to see the sequel from.

Star Wars could be an answer to Potter but Disney has to get Lucas to agree. That wouldn't be cheap and it may also be something Lucas is not interested in. Who knows, he may have his own plans in mind for the future. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom