Princesses may not rule fantasy land after all! Frontierland expansion rumor reality?

RSoxNo1

I was joking about Candy Mountain - if that's honestly what Raven and Lee were referencing my joke was the first I heard of it. I'm not sure if the information I have on Fantasyland is as up to date as some of the other people on here, so I'll defer to them on this. They just both mentioned Candy so I saw what is/was presumably a joke opportunity.

Krack

Is there a secret handshake to this exclusive club?

The winks and cryptic talk make me crazy! :hammer:

Watch it be a Willy Wonka candy store; only it'll be themed to the Johnny Depp Wonka instead of the Gene Wilder one that everyone knows and loves.

MickeyMind

WOW I am so excited about this if it is true, FLE did not need all those glorified princess meet and greets, I am a 24 yr old male, I really was not interested in the cinderella or aurora m&g's, the BATB restaurant sounds great, especially if they recreate the whole ballroom scene, and mermaid sounds great too, but as for everything else, in the words of Michael Kyle:

"ehhhh nehh"

DL was made for families, and its THAT philosophy that has made these parks so incredibly successful. Sure I could see having a couple of attractions and shops geared more towards the kiddies, but EVERYTHING should be able to be enjoyed by EVERYBODY.

MK is always the most packed park out of all the 4 in wdw. They do need more attractions, but wdw has 4 other parks that need some help.

If I had it my way:

MK: keep BATB and TLM, but add 2 more d-tickets, near BATB put a new Pinocchio ride, and in keeping with the fantasy forest theme, add a new bambi ride. Build out a REAL Toontown, with trolley and all, and include a new ride based on Mickey, that takes us from steamboat willy to the heroic, silly, kind hearted mickey we know today. Add as many characters as you possibly can to this.

Epcot: Mt fuji! A new WS pavilion with a water ride, this is Florida, and it gets hot, EVERY park needs a water ride! A new Imagination ride (ofcourse)

DHS: simple, you already have pixar place, build it up! Add the cars ride, not the land, just the ride, and incorporate Catastrophe Canyon for the nostalgics. Monsters Inc. Coaster. Remove the Indy show, replace it with an Indy water ride.

AK: Lion King ride, with Pride Rock as its Weenie. Jungle Book dark ride. Journey to the center of the earth. 100 acre wood section for the kiddies. A ride based on mythical creatures, Unicorns, Dragons etc. take us to a new world we havent seen before.

Oh and ofcourse the most important thing!.... Connect all 4 parks with a new improved, enclosed, expanded, People mover type transit. Park hopping should be fast, the more time u got people waiting in line for buses, the less time they're spending money in the parks.

Dragonrider1227

Pirates overhaul wouldn't work in Florida's TSI. Too far from the Pirates ride. Woody's Roundup would probably be more likely.
Also, I'm hoping they use Alice in alternate Fantasyland plans.
I'd totally love to see a Woody's Round up section. Especially if it meant a more permanent meet and greet spot for Woody and Jessie
Mostly Jessie :eek:
And as a Male, I am really happy that someone at Disney has brought up my concerns for boy appealing attractions at MK. Though I would personally prefer something for Adventureland rater than Frontierland, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Thrill Seeker

As for any Frontierland expansion, maybe Tom is brave enough to try and push through the Western River Expedition project that Marc Davis created years ago. Now that, would be a balance to any Fantasyland project. ((WDI should revisit some of the shelved plans that were created for original ideas. There must be tons of ideas already thought through)).

I was just thinking that. Perhaps a re-tooling and modernization of WRE could be the major E-ticket to counteract the girlyness of Fantasy Forrest. I read the article on what WRE was suppose to be and it would have been amazing. That would be a great project to bring off the old, dusty table.

TP2000

I was just thinking that. Perhaps a re-tooling and modernization of WRE could be the major E-ticket to counteract the girlyness of Fantasy Forrest. I read the article on what WRE was suppose to be and it would have been amazing. That would be a great project to bring off the old, dusty table.

And where would you put it? Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain occupy the land that WRE was supposed to use.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
One of the things that amazes me most on these boards is how 'rumor' suddenly becomes 'fact.' Lots of folks are posting about how happy they are that Tom Staggs is rethinking everything. Even more people are glad he has cancelled Pixie Hollow and the new Princess M&Gs.

What Jim Hill says is "it appears," "supposedly," and "reportedly" throughout the article. This is how he 'appears' to be 'reportedly' blameless when he is wrong and a genius when he is right. It doesn't 'appear' to me that he can get his 'reportedly's to agree with themselves as in one paragraph, only the Little Mermaid ride is absolutely positive, but a coule paragraphs later everything is in flux except the Little Mermaid and the Beauty and the Beast restaurant.

I love discussion and conjecture as much as the next guy, but reading Jim Hill's article (and many others online) I have yet to find a significant quote from anyone at Disney (in any office or any capacity) either way on the FLE. I trust our resident insiders much more than JHM, but I doubt they would be willing to say 'this is what Tom Staggs is thinking' because until he comes out and says what he is thinking, everything is rumor.

If they are reconsidering the NextGen M&Gs, that would be a shame. The current line-up of princesses (and fairies) in a tent is just a travesty to story telling. At least when you see FGM behind the castle or Tiana and Naveen in the gazebo it fits with their character and story to have them there.

If they are cutting Pixie Hollow, I hold my judgement until they have something else to go in that space. I know my daughter and her friends can name at least 10 different fairies they want to meet, but if there is some other quality idea for that space, that would be fine, too!

Sorry about that - between the two threads and 30 pages of material in 24 hours I felt the need to say something. I'll just go back to lurking now. Have a great Wednesday everybody.

misterID

I've learned quite a bit from Jim Hill. I never understood why people slag him or Al Lutz, when they give more insight into Disney than you'd have otherwise. Even the insiders on this board make sure people know that things could change any second, because they usually do... It doesn't mean they're intentionally misleading anyone. It means things will and do change at any given time. "it appears," "supposedly," and "reportedly" are usually how we find things out.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I've learned quite a bit from Jim Hill. I never understood why people slag him or Al Lutz, when they give more insight into Disney than you'd have otherwise. Even the insiders on this board make sure people know that things could change any second, because they usually do... It doesn't mean they're intentionally misleading anyone. It means things will and do change at any given time. "it appears," "supposedly," and "reportedly" are usually how we find things out.

I agree with you. My biggest complaint is with the posters who read those words and turn them into facts. In fact, I think Jim Hill is very smart in using those words and the power of language (excepting his one error in this article). I don't think he is intentionally misleading anyone, instead I think many people far too easily misread or just don't read carefully enough.

lebeau

One of the things that amazes me most on these boards is how 'rumor' suddenly becomes 'fact.' Lots of folks are posting about how happy they are that Tom Staggs is rethinking everything. Even more people are glad he has cancelled Pixie Hollow and the new Princess M&Gs.

What Jim Hill says is "it appears," "supposedly," and "reportedly" throughout the article. This is how he 'appears' to be 'reportedly' blameless when he is wrong and a genius when he is right. It doesn't 'appear' to me that he can get his 'reportedly's to agree with themselves as in one paragraph, only the Little Mermaid ride is absolutely positive, but a coule paragraphs later everything is in flux except the Little Mermaid and the Beauty and the Beast restaurant.

I love discussion and conjecture as much as the next guy, but reading Jim Hill's article (and many others online) I have yet to find a significant quote from anyone at Disney (in any office or any capacity) either way on the FLE. I trust our resident insiders much more than JHM, but I doubt they would be willing to say 'this is what Tom Staggs is thinking' because until he comes out and says what he is thinking, everything is rumor.

If they are reconsidering the NextGen M&Gs, that would be a shame. The current line-up of princesses (and fairies) in a tent is just a travesty to story telling. At least when you see FGM behind the castle or Tiana and Naveen in the gazebo it fits with their character and story to have them there.

If they are cutting Pixie Hollow, I hold my judgement until they have something else to go in that space. I know my daughter and her friends can name at least 10 different fairies they want to meet, but if there is some other quality idea for that space, that would be fine, too!

Sorry about that - between the two threads and 30 pages of material in 24 hours I felt the need to say something. I'll just go back to lurking now. Have a great Wednesday everybody.

Excellent post. Really puts these rumors in perspective. :sohappy:

We have an early front-runner for the Post of the Day Award.

AEfx

Experience. :)

When I first started reading Disney stuff online, I was tickled when I found Hilly's site. What a great repository of stories, I thought. Then I started to find all his unfinished "series" - Muppets, Star Tours, etc. and was disappointed, and then over time I saw all the "articles" he posted were often either wholly inaccurate or could have been easily written by anyone.

This is just the latest example, where that entire article could have been written off of board posts from here. There is nothing in that article that people here have not speculated, or posted in the past weeks. Nothing. Lee wasn't kidding earlier, LOL. Any one of us could have thrown that together filtering through posts here, and making fan-friendly speculation to get people all going (i.e. many do not like the M&G Princess idea).

You don't have to agree, but pay attention to his site over time and you'll see what most of us who have been around for quite some time are talking about.

Here's a non-Disney Park example : a few years ago Hilly made this big post about how Hurley on Lost was based on AICN's Harry Knowles. Made a big deal about it - and it's something he probably picked up from a message board. He said he was SURE that J.J. Abrahams/the producers/etc. made it out to be some big inside joke and someone deep inside had told him it was true. About three months later, it finally made it's way over to AICN, where Harry called up the folks at Lost and they said, "Nope, that blogger person has no idea what they are talking about." The article does not appear on Hilly's site as far as I can find today.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I do not have any sources in the TDO hierarchy, but, just judging from the facts we have, and they way in which this expansion was presented I have a couple thoughts.

I do not think PH has any chance of being developed. It is just overkill on the little girls theme. Even when they first announced the FLE they made it very clear that PH was a secondary phase. And as we all know, "phase two" in Disney parlance means "never happening".

It makes sense to me that people at TDO are looking at what has been proposed and are thinking to themselves that they are only hitting one demographic with this 300 mill expansion. I for one am glad that they are rethinking this. I just hope they have something else on the table ready to go. A delay would just be awful.

Pioneer Hall

Bravo.

jt04

You, my friend, are insightful and brilliant. Which is why some here will treat your post as though it does not exist. I use the type wording you point out Jim Hill is using but I readily admit I deal mostly in conjecture and I have NO insider sources. Jim Hill and some here can't make that claim. This entire "story" is pathetic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom