PI Rumors - New Restaurants

jt04

Oh please, does your everlasting hard-on for Disney ever cease? Sheesh...:rolleyes:

*Looks at MAF's avatar, rubs eyes, reads post again, looks at MAF's avatar again, :brick:, logs off for the night bewildered*

:snore:

Testtrack321

It's funny, everyone praises CityWalk and there are several restaurants that are actual chain restaurants. The OCC BBQ concept is hardly a chain as there is only one.

Don't forget, it would evidently feature some OCC bikes on display besides the fact the aethetics look great and the food sounds awesome. You can't get Kansas City style BBQ too many places in central Florida. Is it for everyone? No. But that is the whole point. Creating an amazing and varied set of choices not duplicated anywhere in the US in just one locale. Not even Citywalk.

Dude, it's the same generic food that's adjective-ized to make it sound eventful and interesting. Unique and varied? Have you ever been to a city? A place that has good food, variety, and not many chains! HELL, you know what's on WDW property, has better quality and more unique choices. EPCOT. EPCOT! To say this place is going to have authentic BBQ is like saying opening an Olive Garden at DTD is going to bring authentic Italian.

/soap box

lebeau

I watched the video for the BBQ place. It seems okay. But I think we were all hoping for better. When Disney said "bold and new", this is not what Disney fans had in mind. It's exactly what we were all expecting, but the piece of us that still believed that Disney was capable of meeting its own high standards dared to hope we wouldn't get more chain stores and restaurants.

If this place was in my neighborhood, I'd give it a try. I might even like it even though the motorcycle theme does nothing for me. But I expect more of Disney.

Does anyone really think that Imagineering couldn't do better?

kapeman

Chain restaurant BBQ? :hurl:

Where I come from we know a little bit about BBQ.

Let me sum up with a quote. A couple trips back we went to Planet Hollywood and I ordered a BBQ sandwich. When my wife asked how it was I said, " If I was from up North, it would be pretty good."

jt04

I watched the video for the BBQ place. It seems okay. But I think we were all hoping for better. When Disney said "bold and new", this is not what Disney fans had in mind. It's exactly what we were all expecting, but the piece of us that still believed that Disney was capable of meeting its own high standards dared to hope we wouldn't get more chain stores and restaurants.

If this place was in my neighborhood, I'd give it a try. I might even like it even though the motorcycle theme does nothing for me. But I expect more of Disney.

Does anyone really think that Imagineering couldn't do better?

I'm happy if Imagineering efforts are directed towards the parks where there is plenty that needs to be done. I think it's important they are involved in the "open areas" and "public spaces" of DTD, but I think it's also fine if the tenants craft their own designs for their specific facilities. Just look at the job the T-Rex folks did. I do think it is important for Disney to have veto power on any design however. And I also look forward to the day when Disney is able to cause the restoration of the EL riverboat to it's original glory. But, it does appear Imagineering does not have unlimited resources and it appears they are largely focused on much more important work right now.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Coke Products are sold in every park on every corner..no one is complaining.

and last of all...every burger, all chicken nuggets, and all fries sold at every counter service on Disney property are identical...no one complains.

We should used to same old same old by now.

Now all we need is a Burger King, a Chick Fila, and a KFC ..MMmmm!:slurp::lol:

Ehh I tried asking for Pepsi and Irn Bru and was told to F off.

I dont eat beaks/wings and spinal columns in bread crumbs at Disney or anywhere else, and yes I have made comments to Disney guest services about the shrinking choice, got the usual spiel about healthy choices. healthy choices I just want something other than fried rendered meat.

Kentucky Fried Sparrow is ok if ypour a veggie, givenm its lack of meat, and Burger King is better than McDs.

Nothing wrong with chain places if they are well run and produce decent value for money food.

lebeau

I'm happy if Imagineering efforts are directed towards the parks where there is plenty that needs to be done. I think it's important they are involved in the "open areas" and "public spaces" of DTD, but I think it's also fine if the tenants craft their own designs for their specific facilities. Just look at the job the T-Rex folks did. I do think it is important for Disney to have veto power on any design however. And I also look forward to the day when Disney is able to cause the restoration of the EL riverboat to it's original glory. But, it does appear Imagineering does not have unlimited resources and it appears they are largely focused on much more important work right now.

If Imagineering doesn't have the resources to work on the parks and DTD, then they are in very sorry shape. I don't doubt this is the case. From what I understand, Disney lays off Imagineers as a matter of practice. It's that sort of thinking that leads to Downtown Disney looking like a strip mall. A nice strip mall, but a strip mall nonetheless.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Ehh I tried asking for Pepsi and Irn Bru and was told to F off.

I dont eat beaks/wings and spinal columns in bread crumbs at Disney or anywhere else, and yes I have made comments to Disney guest services about the shrinking choice, got the usual spiel about healthy choices. healthy choices I just want something other than fried rendered meat.

Kentucky Fried Sparrow is ok if ypour a veggie, givenm its lack of meat, and Burger King is better than McDs.

Nothing wrong with chain places if they are well run and produce decent value for money food.

Thats my thinking... Earl of Sandwich is a great example.

As a side note... The McDs at DTD is way overpriced.. you can get much better food at Earl of Sandwhich... for damned near the same price. I HATE that McDs...lol

DisneyLeo18

The whole Ice Bar thing sounds pretty interesting to me. I have never been to one but just googled a few and it looks cool (literally). Since there arent too many "bars" on-site this might help the younger crowd.

The other 2 restaurants don't interest me too much. I agree with other posters that said chain BBQ food isn't too good.

Figment632

There is room for many small specialized venues like this one. It's not my cup of tea but it is the kind of thing that would develop it's own local following and be a nice draw for 95% of WDW guests who have never experienced such a thing and wouldn't be inclined to go out of their way if they had one in their home town.

As usual you make comments without any follow up. Stir the pot, goad others to do your bidding, make snarky comments and flee to another thread to do the same thing. That said, how about putting some substantive creative criticism out there instead of, "they closed PI because they are cheap and I want PI back even though I really don't know much about it" mantra. PI and the clubs ain't returning to DTD. So what is you bold new "plan b" if you were in charge? Huh? :shrug:

See my comment to EE above. Seriously, if you were in charge suddenly and your only rules were that you had to rebuild a DTD that allowed the free flow of crowds and include facilities that did not exclude families from certain areas, what would you do? It seems that small facilities such as Sosa's and the Ice Bar are acceptable to Disney. Again these would not have the effect of driving people away. So, create your bold new vision and share your brilliance. We are waiting. :)

I'd like to see many venues that serve different foods you can't get anywhere else. Kind of like a miniature World Showcase. And if you had ever had real waffles of the kind I mentioned you would never enter a "waffle house" again. Trust me, people would make special trips to DTD just for a treat you can't get anywhere else in the region. I have many other ideas for other similar venues that collectively would work just as the WS food venues work. And at least I put my ideas out there instead of dismissing every idea that is not the tired and stale PI.

*end of rant*

:wave:

I am still waiting to hear your great ideas.

jt04

I am still waiting to hear your great ideas.

Basically I'd like to see a large collection of quality "ethnic" restaurants and QS counters on the former PI that offer menu items in smaller well themed venues and which are not featured in World Showcase. I think a lot of Raglin Road type eateries featuring different cuisine would work. Add live music from the area portrayed and I think it could be very nice. Also, a boutique style bowling alley, a Marvel based store/attraction, a Disney based themed restaurant (Tiana's?), a dinner show on the scale of Hoop-Dee-Doo, and an ESPNZone would work nicely.

SirGoofy

Sorry it took so long for my to get my ideas up for PI.

Anyway, I would first connect the BET Soundstage to the AC while simultaneously retheming it, making the building a restaurant/dinner show, while the original building would stay as the same-old club.

As for Comedy Wharehouse, I didn't frequent it, but I was in the building a few times, and it seemed like such a horrible set up inside. I would basically rebuild the inside of the place to make it much more like an actual comedy club. On top of that I'd switch up the acts. While the improv was fun sometimes, it was very hit-or-miss. So I would rotate acts. One night would be straight up stand-up, and the next would be the improv.

I really like the Ice Bar concept, and I think it would fit perfectly in the 8Trax building.

Something I've always thought would be great, which I originally came up with for DHS, would be a Muppet Show dinner show. Basically the inside and outside would be themed to the Muppet Show theater. Inside, there would be several layers of tables, all giving a great view of the stage, where AA Muppets would perform classic Muppet Show sketches. On top of that, each table would have a small monitor which would give a view of the kitchen, where the Swedish Chef would be preparing your food.

I do like the idea of having a giant Marvel store. Some cool things I'd put in it would be a "Build Your Own Superhero" with a couple different options from getting a action figure of it to your very own costume.

That leaves two more possibilities if I'm going by the buildings that are already there. Personally, I'd really like to see an Asian Fusion place, some great atmosphere, good food, not simple tourist food.

I'd say there's about one more spot for something, but as of now, I'm out.

Mouse Detective

I'm happy if Imagineering efforts are directed towards the parks where there is plenty that needs to be done. I think it's important they are involved in the "open areas" and "public spaces" of DTD, but I think it's also fine if the tenants craft their own designs for their specific facilities.

I think you're probably right here about what's going on at PI. Whatever the restaurants will be, will be. Disney will be involved with what's outdoors.

lazyboy97o

I do not watch American Chopper, but trying to find some information on Backfire BBQ I went to the Orange County Choppers website. On the main page, towards the bottom is a video preview for the next or current season of the show. The Teutul family's relationship appears to be quite strained.

I do nto question the ability of maintaining an ice bar in Florida. Ice rinks in Florida tend to maintain their ice better than other rinks in the South. The means, people and technology to maintain low temperatures and ice is all present.

Still, if the idea is cohesiveness then something will still need to be done about the Marketplace/Pleasure Island transition. The huge bridge next to the Empress Lily is a strong suggestion of circulation that is quickly halted, forcing people on the small walkway around Raglan Road and then up onto the main drag. It seems that something may have to go, not the former Motions location, but between Raglan Road and Portobello Yacht Club.

Downtown Disney Westside is essentially a big box strip mall. The main attractions are large singular venues and their is little reason to make the hike unless one has plans at one of the venues. The area is desperate for smaller venues that can maintain a series of interests to those who just wish to pass by but not be tired by the long, straight walk that currently offers very little in the way of variety.

MarkTwain

Basically I'd like to see a large collection of quality "ethnic" restaurants and QS counters on the former PI that offer menu items in smaller well themed venues and which are not featured in World Showcase. I think a lot of Raglin Road type eateries featuring different cuisine would work. Add live music from the area portrayed and I think it could be very nice. Also, a boutique style bowling alley, a Marvel based store/attraction, a Disney based themed restaurant (Tiana's?), a dinner show on the scale of Hoop-Dee-Doo, and an ESPNZone would work nicely.

Sorry it took so long for my to get my ideas up for PI.

Anyway, I would first connect the BET Soundstage to the AC while simultaneously retheming it, making the building a restaurant/dinner show, while the original building would stay as the same-old club.

As for Comedy Wharehouse, I didn't frequent it, but I was in the building a few times, and it seemed like such a horrible set up inside. I would basically rebuild the inside of the place to make it much more like an actual comedy club. On top of that I'd switch up the acts. While the improv was fun sometimes, it was very hit-or-miss. So I would rotate acts. One night would be straight up stand-up, and the next would be the improv.

I really like the Ice Bar concept, and I think it would fit perfectly in the 8Trax building.

Something I've always thought would be great, which I originally came up with for DHS, would be a Muppet Show dinner show. Basically the inside and outside would be themed to the Muppet Show theater. Inside, there would be several layers of tables, all giving a great view of the stage, where AA Muppets would perform classic Muppet Show sketches. On top of that, each table would have a small monitor which would give a view of the kitchen, where the Swedish Chef would be preparing your food.

I do like the idea of having a giant Marvel store. Some cool things I'd put in it would be a "Build Your Own Superhero" with a couple different options from getting a action figure of it to your very own costume.

That leaves two more possibilities if I'm going by the buildings that are already there. Personally, I'd really like to see an Asian Fusion place, some great atmosphere, good food, not simple tourist food.

I'd say there's about one more spot for something, but as of now, I'm out.

Ok I'll take ya up on that. Reopen Mannequins, 8-trax, AC, and CW. Your crowd will consist of older folks(and ppl like me) who like 70s and 80s as well as europeans and the segment who like dance music. No hip hop and I say that not because I don't like it, but because the hip hop clubs are the ones with fights and quite frankly, you can get hip hop anywhere. Having a dedicated dance and 70s/80s club was unique to Orlando. That's all I'm gonna say before I get in trouble.

CW and AC are both excellent venues for the family. Both shows started more family friendly early and got more adult oriented at night.

Additionally, use the roller skating rink that was originally built and used inside RRBC, if memory serves. Let the kids go in there and have fun under Disney supervision while using a hand stamp/ID system when parents come back. Think it's crazy? It existed in PI's first days, but because it took 5 years for PI to get popular/make a profit and thus put CSS out of business, they made some radical changes in the beginning, which included closing this concept. And before I get chastised for the idea that drunk parents are dragging their kids to the hotel, I simply point to EPCOT.

bulldoze Motion to open up foot traffic.

Turn BET into a place similar to the whopper bar location at Citywalk.

Thoughts?

I like all of these! I boldened my favorite ideas... Although in response to JT, I think ESPNZone would be a better fit for the old Virgin Superstore.

jt04

I like all of these! I boldened my favorite ideas... Although in response to JT, I think ESPNZone would be a better fit for the old Virgin Superstore.

Actually that is what I meant. Either the Marvel store or ESPN could go there. I was giving my ideas for all of DTD, not just PI.

We will know soon I think. At least if they will be keeping the empty PI buildings or not.

JLW11Hi

A dinner show at DTD would be perfect. The Hoop-De-Doo is always popular, but it is so out of the way and kind of confusing to get to. Think how popular a show would be that was simply at PI, where resort/Park busses can travel to directly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom