PI Rumors - New Restaurants

lebeau

I think that the hot dog stand is what upsets me most of all. Got a minute?

When I was a kid, my parents promised every year that we would go to Disney. Year after year, it wouldn't happen. At one point I got a younger brother, years later, a sister. Then they'd promise the 3 of us that we would go.

One year we actually had the car packed and everything and... didn't go. This was in the 80's at some point as I recall. I think by the end of the 80's they stopped promising.

Ten years ago, I traveled to Disney myself, for Star Wars Weekends. I was absolutely amazed... I loved it! When I talked to my parents about it they revelaed that their family and friends all told them that it cost $10,000 to go there and that all that wsa at WDW was a bunch of $10 hot dog stands. How they believed that I don't know. All I do know is that it didn't cost $10,000 to go there in the 80's, it doesn't cost that now! And there's a heck of a lot more there than hot dog stands.

Since then, I've taken my mom there twice. I'd like to take them both but it looks like it may never happen due to money and health reasons. :(

Anyway, back on topic!

Your story makes me sad. I often tell my wife that I believe every child should get to go to WDW at least once. The idea of having the car packed and then having to unpack it. :(

Well, I'm glad you finally got to go and that you took your mom. Hope everyone feels better and all that. Maybe someday, you'll get a completely happy ending to that story.

Maerj

Your story makes me sad. I often tell my wife that I believe every child should get to go to WDW at least once. The idea of having the car packed and then having to unpack it. :(

Well, I'm glad you finally got to go and that you took your mom. Hope everyone feels better and all that. Maybe someday, you'll get a completely happy ending to that story.

I have a 2 year old daughter now who adores Mickey, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Whom she refers to as 'Heigh ho's) So, taking her to WDW would be the happiest ending to the story I could think of! If I can get a good bit of tax money back to help fund it, it'll happen in May.

lebeau

I have a 2 year old daughter now who adores Mickey, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Whom she refers to as 'Heigh ho's) So, taking her to WDW would be the happiest ending to the story I could think of! If I can get a good bit of tax money back to help fund it, it'll happen in May.

Sounds good. You'll be amazed how much more fun it is to see the place through your children's eyes. We're taking my 4-year-old on her third trip this March. And it will be the 1st trip for our infant/toddler. Although she was in her mommy's belly during the last trip. So I consider it trip 1.5 for her.

I love that my oldest daughter already has tons of WDW stories. I hope that as a family, we'll have fantastic memories of WDW vacations as the kids grow up. And maybe even after. I definitely look forward to taking grandkids someday in the distant future.

Hopefully when I do, there will still be something there worth visiting.

71jason

These guys get paid to do this sort of thing, they HAVE to be able to some up with something better than a bar, a biker bar themed restaurant and a hot dog stand!

I'm as big a PI loyalist as you'll find, but I'm going to stand up for Schussel (sp?) here. If you've been to their website, they're planning more than a "hot dog stand." It's basically to a hot dog stand what Marble Slab is to an ice cream truck. It's a clever idea, riding the trend that Starbucks started with coffee, and if done right, it would be a fun, unique eatery. Would I rather see a concept from Disney Imagineering? Of course--but this is better than a stretch of empty buildings.

I think the ice bar is promising, as well--again, I'm assuming Schussel can do a Disney-like design job (T-Rex suggests they can). It sounds like a fun place for adults to escape to, and then to talk up when they get home. My only problem with it is the same criticism I have of Raglan Road--it doesn't sound like a place you'd spend a whole night. More like, have a drink or two, then duck out and dance a little or maybe catch a Balderdash Cup--except that all the other nightlife has disappeared.

overdrive

I'm as big a PI loyalist as you'll find, but I'm going to stand up for Schussel (sp?) here. If you've been to their website, they're planning more than a "hot dog stand." It's basically to a hot dog stand what Marble Slab is to an ice cream truck. It's a clever idea, riding the trend that Starbucks started with coffee, and if done right, it would be a fun, unique eatery. Would I rather see a concept from Disney Imagineering? Of course--but this is better than a stretch of empty buildings.

I think the ice bar is promising, as well--again, I'm assuming Schussel can do a Disney-like design job (T-Rex suggests they can). It sounds like a fun place for adults to escape to, and then to talk up when they get home. My only problem with it is the same criticism I have of Raglan Road--it doesn't sound like a place you'd spend a whole night. More like, have a drink or two, then duck out and dance a little or maybe catch a Balderdash Cup--except that all the other nightlife has disappeared.

I will agree with you on most of your points, I am just waiting for the name change. "Schussel Island" Doesn't really have much of a ring to it but I am afraid that is what we are going to get.

jt04

I will agree with you on most of your points, I am just waiting for the name change. "Schussel Island" Doesn't really have much of a ring to it but I am afraid that is what we are going to get.

Rumors at 2 sites I've seen indicate PI and the clubs could be reopening. Anyone know more?

It's like the new Coke saga. :lol:

kapeman

I'm as big a PI loyalist as you'll find, but I'm going to stand up for Schussel (sp?) here. buildings.

I am not really exited about the rumored new entries, but I don't hate the idea either.

My issue is the fact that they won't/can't get any other outfit to come in with some new ideas. The Landry's folks just seem to slap a couple of overlays on their existing template and call it a new experience.

I'm okay with Rain Forest and actually liked T-Rex more than I thought I would (my 4 yo is a junior paleontologist/fighter pilot/miner so we had to go), but enough already!

Isn't "new" the most important part of the bold new vision, or is it "bold"?

71jason

Rumors at 2 sites I've seen indicate PI and the clubs could be reopening. Anyone know more?

Last I heard (too lazy to check again, honestly), only 3 of the old clubs had current liquor licenses. One has been ripped to shreds with its furniture left outside to rot. Another was one of two money-losers on the Island. And Motion. Anything's possible, but they've gone this long with it shuttered, don't see it returning.

overdrive

Yeah the new developments are rather interesting, but I doubt any of the clubs are reopening. I just have to say none of what they have done to date to the Island makes any sense at all. With all the things that have been removed from the clubs including fire escapes, it would be like visiting the ghost of a once fun place. I really can't see them spending the cash it would take to make people forget about that.

They either need to do it disney big or just tear it down and get it over with.

We will see, that is the only sure thing.

71jason

This rumor comes and goes. Can you share the 2 websites with us?

Sorry to speak for you, JT, but I assume one is the "Save Pleasure Island" blog.

The renovation of Mannequins clearly suggests something is going in there--I just have a hard time believing it will be a club. The restaurant rumor (also from Save PI) makes a lot more sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom