People Seem Jaded About Disney World in General

71dsp

I haven't been to Six Flags (well within a 30 minute drive from my place, and I drive by it every day on the way to/from work) in a number of years. My wife and I grew up here, and Six Flags has never been a nice park, so we have no desire to go. Been to Sea World twice in the past few years with my wife and son. Sea World is more of a 1 day stop on our mini-vacation that we take to San Antonio & Austin for the past couple of years (my wife and I like the Riverwalk in SA). While we don't mind going to Sea World, we get excited about going to WDW. It's on a totally different level from the rides and food to the clientele that visit the parks.

Goofyernmost

You people saying WDW is still "AMAZING" obviously have not been to DLR this year, makes WDW look like Six Flags.

I haven't been to DLR since 2005 so I cannot comment on it's condition, but I have been to a Six Flags Park and one would have to be pretty heavily medicated to think that WDW looks like that. JMHO!

IAmFloridaBorn

I haven't been to Six Flags (well within a 30 minute drive from my place, and I drive by it every day on the way to/from work) in a number of years. My wife and I grew up here, and Six Flags has never been a nice park, so we have no desire to go. Been to Sea World twice in the past few years with my wife and son. Sea World is more of a 1 day stop on our mini-vacation that we take to San Antonio & Austin for the past couple of years (my wife and I like the Riverwalk in SA). While we don't mind going to Sea World, we get excited about going to WDW. It's on a totally different level from the rides and food to the clientele that visit the parks.
out of curiosity, ever been to Sea World Orlando?

CommyHolly

I think it all depends what your idea of amazing is,,,,,,

I could care less that Mickey is or is not on the napkins,,,,,

I'd rather see cast playing jump rope with kids,,,,,,

I could care less if the yeti doesn't move,,,,,,or if Disney doesn't have the latest and greatest roller coaster,,,,

I'd rather see Main Street all decked out for Christmas,,,,,,or see how clean Main Street is,,,,,,or the time a cast member came up and asked my grand daughter for her autograph,,,,,,,

that doesn't mean anyone else is wrong,,,,,,,it doesn't mean I'm wrong,,,,,,,everyone's opinion has value,,,,,,and I get both sides, to be honest,,,,,,the clock tower in It's a Small World has been broken forever,,,,,if I hadn't seen it working, though, I wouldn't notice it was broken,,,,,and it pretty much passes right through my mind until I think about it,,,,,,,

different people notice different things,,,,,,,,it's human nature.

Animaniac93-98

I could care less if the yeti doesn't move,,,,,,everyone's opinion has value,,,,,,

I'm sorry, but I can't buy into this thinking.

The ride was built (and advertised) a certain way for a reason. If someone who had no say or input in the design process doesn't notice or care, or knows it should be a certain way but isn't, it's hardly an opinion of "value". Its a case of someone trying to justify a lowering of standards.

You may not "care", but don't try to discredit people who do by insisting that somehow unrelated elements of WDW make up for it.

Disney is quite capable of providing unique experiences like in your example AND running attractions in good shape. But they don't always, and that's a problem.

luv

I think it all depends what your idea of amazing is,,,,,,

I could care less that Mickey is or is not on the napkins,,,,,

I'd rather see cast playing jump rope with kids,,,,,,

I could care less if the yeti doesn't move,,,,,,or if Disney doesn't have the latest and greatest roller coaster,,,,

I'd rather see Main Street all decked out for Christmas,,,,,,or see how clean Main Street is,,,,,,or the time a cast member came up and asked my grand daughter for her autograph,,,,,,,

that doesn't mean anyone else is wrong,,,,,,,it doesn't mean I'm wrong,,,,,,,everyone's opinion has value,,,,,,and I get both sides, to be honest,,,,,,the clock tower in It's a Small World has been broken forever,,,,,if I hadn't seen it working, though, I wouldn't notice it was broken,,,,,and it pretty much passes right through my mind until I think about it,,,,,,,

different people notice different things,,,,,,,,it's human nature.
What does it mean when someone posts a bunch of commas like you do? I have never seen that before.

Bloopers

I guess I simply don't understand your reasoning. WDW charges $90/day for admission, $400/night for hotel rooms, $60 per person for a buffet meal yet it's OK that things are broken and details offered in the past are removed all the time while raising prices by double digits year-after-year? Do you find this kind of service acceptable?

Not sure if it means anything to you but 30 years ago a ticket to the Magic Kingdom was $14/day ($33.56 adjusted for inflation), included all the attractions (like today), and the Magic Kingom was in a lot better condition than it is today. In 1982, CMs were friendlier (they were better paid in term of inflation adjusted dollars) and the parks were cleaner.

As a consumer, do you find it acceptable to pay more for less?

Would you be happier if WDW doubled ticket prices to $180/day or cut them in half to $45/day?

$90/day for one single park is just ridiculous, IMO. I've always paid less.. $60 for the discounted prices that UCF offered but now that I work for Disney, I get in for free, fortunately. Some people save like crazy for months to years to spend a vacation there with their family, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect exceptional service. As a cast member, I've seen some cast members that shouldn't be working there, but the majority of us do try our best, trust me. Even with the low wages.

Bloopers

It drives me crazy how they've held back on pay and benefits to cast members for decades (starting during the Michael Eisner years) while continuously raising ticket, hotel, food, and merchandise prices. CMs have the most challenging jobs at WDW while TWDC has record profits and it's the suits sitting behind their desks collecting the big bonuses. Have you ever discussed with long-timers what it was like to work at WDW 30 years ago?

I haven't had a chance to discuss the specifics, but from just the gist of it, it seems like they were happier CM's back in the days. I've spoken to a few old timers and surely, things have changed A LOT. If it was about the money, I honestly would not be working there. Sometimes it takes me over an hour to get to work, never less than 40 mins. and I'm not getting paid that well, so it's not too much about the money for me. I am including the benefit package as part of my 'pay'. Florida's minimum wage is increasing in Jan. 2013, I wonder if we're going to have an increase in our wages as well. Honestly though, it's cool to work there if you're a student, I just don't see how people can work there for YEARS (unless they were fortunate enough to have a professional job there.) It's a very trying job... my sleeping schedule has been a mess since I've worked at Disney. I've had 5am shifts, meaning I would have to wake up at 3am. Or shifts that lasted till 12:30am, meaning after the drive back, I'd be home around 1am. I'm considered 'lucky' since I don't work at MK, where people work at even more ridiculous hours. It's not the hours I have a problem with, since I know it's what I signed up for when I wanted the job, I would rather just see an increase in pay. It's tiring, but it makes my day to know that I can make someone else' day, that's why I'm here and still am.

CommyHolly

I guess I simply don't understand your reasoning. WDW charges $90/day for admission, $400/night for a hotel room, $60 per person for a buffet meal yet it's OK that things are broken and details offered in the past are removed all the time while raising prices by double digits year-after-year? Do you find this kind of service acceptable?

Not sure if it means anything to you but 30 years ago a ticket to the Magic Kingdom was $14/day ($33.56 adjusted for inflation), included all the attractions (like today), and the Magic Kingom was in a lot better condition than it is now. In 1982, CMs were friendlier (they were paid more in inflation-adjusted dollars) and the parks were cleaner.

As a consumer, do you find it acceptable to pay more for less?

Would you be happier if WDW doubled ticket prices to $180/day or cut them in half to $45/day?

I just don't notice that many things broken,,,,,,,maybe it's a flaw in me (I tend to be too easygoing sometimes.) If things are broken, they're put down and fixed,,,,it happens everywhere,,,,,,,the park is clean, the people are nice,,,,,,I don't see peeling paint, worn out carpets, etc,,,,,,

As far as rising prices,,,,,,,,Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal,,,,,,,,,,all of them have gone up dramatically. People will pay it, so they can get away with it. I buy a season's pass for about 600.00 per person and go 25-30 times a year and my parking is free.

what bothers me more is that Disney now shuts down early in December and October for "parties" that they never used to have,,,,,,,,costing upwards of 60.00, and what do you really get for it? Not much, IMHO,,,,,,Free cookies and cocoa at Christmas,,,,and a few hours in the park,,,,big whoopie. You used to get the extra few hours INCLUDED in your regular admission. Now they kick everyone out unless you pay 60 bucks more to stay.

But the upshot is I love Disney,,,we've been passholders for many years,,,,,we come and go almost weekly, and I'm not going to stop,,,,,,,I think the details and magic of the place are amazing,,,,,,so we go.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ahhh the no quantifiable, religious like, "its magical" defence. Id say that applied to Vegas too,,,,,,,,,, and it has fewer loonies running amok in ECVs

G00fyDad

I'm sorry, but I can't buy into this thinking.

The ride was built (and advertised) a certain way for a reason. If someone who had no say or input in the design process doesn't notice or care, or knows it should be a certain way but isn't, it's hardly an opinion of "value". Its a case of someone trying to justify a lowering of standards.

You may not "care", but don't try to discredit people who do by insisting that somehow unrelated elements of WDW make up for it.

Disney is quite capable of providing unique experiences like in your example AND running attractions in good shape. But they don't always, and that's a problem.

Of course you would take the comments that way. :rolleyes: The poster was not discrediting anyone or their opinions. They were simply offering their feelings on the matter. But a differing opinion from yours is wrong, correct? Par for the course here.

G00fyDad

I just don't notice that many things broken. Maybe it's a flaw in me (I tend to be too easygoing sometimes.) If things are broken, they're put down and fixed. It happens everywhere. The park is clean, the people are nice. I don't see peeling paint, worn out carpets, etc...

That's just it. I am like you. I know that these things are broken, but I do not go to WDW with a magnifying glass examining the crap out of everything. Griping about it changes nothing. Absolutely nothing. All complaints fall on deaf ears, so why bother? The only way to effect real change is to stop patronizing the establishment. However, for all of the WDW hating griping going on here I still see these people saying that they are heading back to WDW soon. o_O I have several friends that go to WDW regularly and until I mentioned it to them, they had zero clue that the Yeti ever moved and they are fine with him the way he is.

As far as rising prices. Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal, all of them have gone up dramatically. People will pay it, so they can get away with it. I buy a season's pass for about 600.00 per person and go 25-30 times a year and my parking is free.

Expect a comment from someone saying that Sea World, Busch Gardens, and Universal keep their parks cleaner and in better repair. ;)

What bothers me more is that Disney now shuts down early in December and October for "parties" that they never used to have, costing upwards of 60.00, and what do you really get for it? Not much, IMHO. Free cookies and cocoa at Christmas, and a few hours in the park. Big whoopie. You used to get the extra few hours INCLUDED in your regular admission. Now they kick everyone out unless you pay 60 bucks more to stay.

They are a business and as such they do what they do for a profit. Many people seem to (in the back of their minds) see WDW as a public service and not a business. They still feel that Disney should bend over backwards to make each day during their vacations the most special day in their lives. Disney is in it for the money. Does that make them evil? No. It makes them a thriving American business. Look at the silver lining.... most other parks close for the entire winter.

But the upshot is I love Disney. We've been passholders for many years. We come and go almost weekly, and I'm not going to stop. I think the details and magic of the place are amazing so we go.

I am right there with you. I am not a fanboy by any means. I simply do not go to WDW to look for problems. I just go to have fun and I do not dissect every square inch of the property. I leave that to the gas station attendants, hamburger flippers, and other non-executives here that seems to know more about how to run a company than those in charge right now. ;) (That comment is going to get some attention. lol)

CommyHolly

They are a business and as such they do what they do for a profit. Many people seem to (in the back of their minds) see WDW as a public service and not a business. They still feel that Disney should bend over backwards to make each day during their vacations the most special day in their lives. Disney is in it for the money. Does that make them evil? No. It makes them a thriving American business. Look at the silver lining.... most other parks close for the entire winter.

I am right there with you. I am not a fanboy by any means. I simply do not go to WDW to look for problems. I just go to have fun and I do not dissect every square inch of the property. I leave that to the gas station attendants, hamburger flippers, and other non-executives here that seems to know more about how to run a company than those in charge right now. ;) (That comment is going to get some attention. lol)

Oh, I understand they are a business,,,,,and when I said it "bugs" me, I just meant vaguely :) EVERYTHING used to be a "better value" 30 years ago,,,,,,Today, we have more parks to choose from, for an extra charge you can hop several parks in one day,,,and within those parks, there are more attractions, and their costs are larger today than 30 years ago,,,insurance, electric, wages, water,,Disney is just plain "bigger" today than it was 30 years ago,,,,,and I don't mean just size. The disney mystique is just plain bigger,,,,,

I don't consider myself a fan girl either,,,,,,I'm not saying they're perfect,,,,,there's ALWAYS room for improvement :) I just don't SEE half this stuff,,,,,,

Nor am I saying everyone who thinks differently than me is WRONG,,,,,it's just my nature not to stress this stuff,,,,,

and with that said,,,,,,I'm off to Disney World to spend the day with my family :) I'm going to make an effort to SEE some of this and see what I can see today,,,,,,

Have a great day :)

Animaniac93-98

But a differing opinion from yours is wrong, correct? Par for the course here.

I explained why I thought so in my post.

"it doesn't mean I'm wrong,,,,,,,everyone's opinion has value.....different people notice different things"

I'd call try that trying to lessen the worth of critcism. Perhaps "discredit" was the wrong word, but I still stand by what I said.

CommyHolly

I explained why I thought so in my post.

"it doesn't mean I'm wrong,,,,,,,everyone's opinion has value.....different people notice different things"

I'd call try that trying to lessen the worth of critcism. Perhaps "discredit" was the wrong word, but I still stand by what I said.

I'm sorry, but how does my saying that everyone's opinion has value and that different people notice different things lessen the worth of your criticism? Sincerely, I'm not trying to do so,,,,,,Please notice that I also said that it doesn't mean YOU'RE wrong,,,,,,,I'm not sure there's a right OR a wrong here,,,,,

Animaniac93-98

I'm sorry, but how does my saying that everyone's opinion has value and that different people notice different things lessen the worth of your criticism? Sincerely, I'm not trying to do so,,,,,,Please notice that I also said that it doesn't mean YOU'RE wrong,,,,,,,I'm not sure there's a right OR a wrong here,,,,,

I know you are not trying to do so, but I hope you can understand why myself or someone else would take objection to an opinion of "I could care less" with regard to a lowering in show quality, like having the Yeti not work for years.

Saying "I could care less", doesn't help to solve to the problem and implies that its OK to leave things as is, because someone is OK with it in its current state. If poeple don't care then it doesn't matter and the problem stops being just that. However, it doesn't alter the fact that is is broken, it should not be that way and the experience you, myself or anyone gets, is less than it once was, could be (and my opinion) should be.

Is it your opinion to have? Yes. Can I really change that? Maybe not, but I still cannot see why every opinion has "value" to when "I could care less" isn't worth much in any discussion, Disney or otherwise.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I'm not going to waste my time time reading rants from anybody that thinks that 5-7 commas make an ellipsis.

Once, I'd say that you made a typo...but 15 times ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom