News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

asianway

And in related news on another news site, it has been reported that several long time members of the Citizens of Hollywood are being cut as a cost savings measure. The last day for these people is at the end of the month to achieve fiscal 2019 cost reduction targets. Leaving by the end of the month will be the Dorma Nesmond, Paige Turner, Dara Vamp, and Officer Prime Brody characters. Several of these actors have been in these roles for many years and are among the most senior entertainers in all of Walt Disney World. It is not known if these characters will be replaced or recast. Marie
Who’s ofc Brody? Smitty?

Lensman

The "experts" in May predicted a more active hurricane season for 2018. In August they changed it to a less active season. The same experts said Florence would make landfall as a Cat 4, possibly a Cat 5 - it was a Cat 1 (still very powerful and dangerous, but nothing like was expected).
I'm not against the overall advice of not letting fear of inclement weather interfere with otherwise good vacation plans, but I suspect that it's the inferior experts who predicted landfall as a Cat 5. There was some chance that Florence would briefly hit Cat 5 before the EWRC messed with her strengthening, but that was never expected to last as Florence passed over the shallower waters off the coast of NC, despite the warm gulf current. I think all the real tropical cyclone experts were standing by the NHC forecasts, which I think were for landfall as a borderline Cat 3/4 hurricane.

Another part of the reason for landfall being weaker was that it stalled off the coast - which actually made is worse for residents of NC as they received several days of storm surge and torrential rains as the storm sat off the coast training in bands of rain to the entire southeast quadrant of NC. I think it's been said that Florence was a "Cat 5" rain event, but only a "Cat 1" wind event. (and a "Cat 3" surge event).

At any rate, a agree with the gist of your advice, which is to not let the possibility of bad weather affect your vacation. Though if you have the choice of dates, it's probably not wrong to pick the April/May instead of Sept/Oct. We used to always go in October, though. Though I suppose the tradeoffs are a little different if you're planning a two week international vacation.

And it is true that I tried of avoid going to Oklahoma in April and May.

Animaniac93-98

I just noticed today WDW is back to selling discounted park tickets to Canadians. They're valid until September 27 2019 and the only blackout dates are Christmas Eve to New Year's Day. 4-day minimum for the passes.

They've had this deal before (including earlier this year), but started it again on August 29th.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just noticed today WDW is back to selling discounted park tickets to Canadians. They're valid until September 27 2019 and the only blackout dates are Christmas Eve to New Year's Day. 4-day minimum for the passes.

They've had this deal before (including earlier this year), but started it again on August 29th.

...the date is the key part of that. It’s to backstop what could be a really bad year for them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No where did I say that Walter

You said it should never be slow on a Friday in September...That’s a reference to locals. Food and wine and weenie parties...

Weekends tend to be of heavier volume - true...but overall the month is comparably light.

And August is slow in comparison to the past...way slow. School calendars are different now...but a bigger trend seems to be traveling in the cooler season and not tolerating the more oppressive heat times. June doesn’t seem as busy and decades ago either...July still seems pretty busy.

You’re talking the differences on certain days the last couple of years...that’s fine. But it is part of a bigger shift - if not pondered every day...it is what it is.

wannabeBelle

Who’s ofc Brody? Smitty?
I am not sure of all of the correct names of the people in the show, I have only seen it a few times and mostly in passing, so am not familiar with the characters. I did get that information from the article. I know there is a policeman character, just ot sure of the name. Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cuts so far (masterpost)-
  • Jack Sparrow MK show
  • Citizens of Hollywood downgrade
  • Rafiki’s Planet Watch

I’m not sure if we know that the cuts are happening because of attendance, but it’s all in the area of probability.

I think the reasons have been said:

It’s a plan for “mandatory” cuts...doesn’t matter if the parks are packed or empty.

That’s chapek...sweatshop guru...

And oh by the way - the leading “candidate” for ceo of the walt disney company.

I really do wish I was exaggerating

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
DHS's streetmosphere was also cut during the height of the #blameshanghai era, and yet, continued onward, with other entertainment added since then.

Jawas were cut and BB8 added.

Then the GAM thing was plussed, as well as the M&Gs in OMD (WDP).

Rafiki Watch is a surprise since the heart of it is watching the veterinary services of DAK, no? One would think that they have plenty of veterinary work happening all the time all year round.

Princess Leia

Rumor is that it will be replaced with a Mickey's 90th thing at the beginning of 2019.
Okay that’s what I thought. Citizens, Jack Sparrow, and Rafiki’s Planet Watch don’t seem to have replacements on the horizon.

I thought about including the cut of Star Lord and Groot, but I’m assuming they’ll be announcing a new M&G to replace it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom