• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

A thought on UNDERcrowding?

We live in MI - so not involved with East Coast Weather. But last 2 weeks? The MAJOR demographic for WDW attendance (East Coast US), has been severely impacted by a major Hurricane :(.

If anyone gets a chance? Stop for a moment, exit room, Space Ship Earth. Check out the MAP, showing the home areas of those visiting. This can be VERY informative.

Princess Leia

Advertisement
I attended two Parties earlier this week ( Sunday and Tuesday night )
Both nights felt busier then the last time i attended, but that was five years ago and a lot has changed since then.
Tuesday actually felt 'busier' to me then Sunday nights party which i found interesting.

Certain Attractions had a very long wait ( POTC ), a couple had longer then expected ( 50min for SDMT & Haunted Mansion ) but as the night wore on the wait times plummeted and things were quite enjoyable.
Many were talk ons at that point (Most Fantasyland Attractions except SDMT ) or had minimal 5 to 15 minute waits ( BTMR, SpaceM, SplashM, etc. )

Character greeting lines were long all evening.
Those never let up from what i saw walking around, but i was not focused on meeting characters while i was there.

Crowds definitely thinned after the first two showings of the 'Boo To You' Parade and the 'Hocus Pocus Spelltacular' stage show.
I recommend staying until the very end...it really is the best time to be there the last three hours of the Party.
Remember, you can use your Party ticket to enter the Park at 4pm and stay to shop on Main Street until 1am.
;)
Have a great time!

-
I’m assuming the Pirates waittimes were due to the Halloween additions?

Figments Friend

I’m assuming the Pirates waittimes were due to the Halloween additions?
That was my assumption at the time, seeing the line, but it may have been caused by the Attraction being down for a time.
I just happened to be walking by POTC and noticed the line running out into the walkway and stretching almost to the point of being right across from the Tiki Room entrance.
Never seen it like that...it got my attention enough to snap this quick photo -

image.jpeg

That was Tuesday night.

Sunday night I saw long waits the couple of times I walked by, but the line didn't stretch out onto the walkway.
Just a full queue.

Princess Leia

Epcot was dead today. Zero lines for the food and wine booths and we walked onto Soarin at 5pm. Really great day!
On the one hand, this makes me sad since Epcot still has a lot to offer and I think a lot of resort guests overlook that. On the other hand... I will be there one month from tomorrow with my friend’s wedding party, and for purely selfish reasons, I would like an empty park to celebrate in ;)

JoeCamel

You think that is real and accurate?
If people pin their location somewhere near reality it is. My face always makes a dot wherever I clicked on the map.[/QUOTE]
But like surveys what you are seeing are those that chose to do it. It is a self selecting sample. I have been going since '83 and have never pinned my location. If TDO released the demo for everyone who entered the park on that day then it would be representative but when you self select it is not accurate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Or maybe Disney has finally reached a tipping point where it has outpaced inflation over the past couple of years while wages quietly remain flat and stagnate. The constant cost cutting and up charging everything, I think has finally got the word out to the rest of the world. Do I like Disney sure I do, but I’m not going to pay those prices while most parks other than the magic kingdom barely offers anything of substance. One could argue there was more to do 10-15 years ago in those parks and you didn’t feel like you were getting ripped off. You felt satisfied with what you paid for and the expectations were upheld.
...jeez...If you go to the truth jugular that fast...

The crowd gets bored🤫

Attachments

Lensman

Premium Member
If people pin their location somewhere near reality it is. My face always makes a dot wherever I clicked on the map.
But like surveys what you are seeing are those that chose to do it. It is a self selecting sample. I have been going since '83 and have never pinned my location. If TDO released the demo for everyone who entered the park on that day then it would be representative but when you self select it is not accurate.
Good point! It's always good to correct for self-selection bias, but in this case since it's a simple "where are you from" question, I think the traditional self-selection biases wouldn't have that much effect. Maybe people from Florida would be less likely to self-select but otherwise I'd say you'd notice some gross changes between a normal day and the past week.

It's not only people from the affected areas who might have canceled their trips. There was at least one person who asked in another thread about the risks of driving down from New England. I heard that the governor of North Carolina asked people not to drive into or through the state if they could help it.

Squishy

I highly doubt Disney’s going to turn around and say ‘Oh, my bad!’ with the ticket prices at this point, but it would be nice if they started slashing the food prices a bit.
Well they need to learn someone cause some guy at TDO thinks that cutting more things will help increase attendance. They should atleast try to add more things and see where that goes, Sad part is disney is a billion dollar company and yet they have to cut things from the park..

John park hopper

Good point! It's always good to correct for self-selection bias, but in this case since it's a simple "where are you from" question, I think the traditional self-selection biases wouldn't have that much effect. Maybe people from Florida would be less likely to self-select but otherwise I'd say you'd notice some gross changes between a normal day and the past week.

It's not only people from the affected areas who might have canceled their trips. There was at least one person who asked in another thread about the risks of driving down from New England. I heard that the governor of North Carolina asked people not to drive into or through the state if they could help it.
Section of I-95 (9 miles) closed around Dillion NC due to flooding just reported on the news. Best to stay out of NC for awhile.

disneyworlddad

I was there this weekend. Friday night Disney Springs was packed! We were there from around 8:30ish to 10. MK was also packed on Saturday and so was Epcot. The amount of NC and SC plates I saw on the drive home was impressive. I think there might have been more of them than Florida.

Jedi Stitch

"soft" time. It is a slow season, because of the hurricane factor. You can try to tighten the belt, but if you inflate wait times and have bad weather, then people dont want to go.

Top Bottom