New Titles and Positions Announced including Jim MacPhee

SirGoofy

I agree, and that's as it should be. Things are inching in the right direction.
Though, I don't think it would kill them to put some Space Mtn. merch. in the Space Mtn. shop....

Agreed. I'm happy to say the merch is slowly, hopefully surely headed in the right direction.

Now if they would correct the other issues:
-Hannah Montana and HSM merch. in Tomorrowland....or anywhere in MK for that matter. Belongs over at Studios, and should be beaten back there with a large stick.
-Lack of cool, on-theme merchandise that isn't strictly Disney related. Used to be you could buy some cool, non-Disney stuff in Adventureland and Frontierland. And no, surf wear which can be found in Anytown USA doesn't count.

You know they won't give up a chance to make a buck off Space when SM opens back up. But hopefully Miley and HSM are outta there for good after that.

And I agree that AL and FL need some neat stuff.

Figments Friend

Not quite. Jim Macphee was asked to have his team develop an event for Epcot's 25th in response to the multiple fan events that seemed to "upstage" them. It was a move to regain control of the anniversary, if anything.

I'm not saying that it was poorly done, because I feel that it was the best "celebration" I've experienced at the parks in my life, but I know the reason wasn't to appease the fans, rather to appease the media and critics that wondered why 1200+ fans were doing what a major coorporation could have done all along.

Classic move it was too....the stuff by which Legends are born!

:)

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly the same in the huge corporation I work for and always has been (probably always will be). Anyone moved into "Special Projects" needs to search the want ads and start packing their desk while co-worker bet on how long the poor unfortunate soul lasts before “retiring” or “seeking a new opportunity outside the company.”

HOWEVER - in this case, it's a creative corporation, so it perhaps it should be taken at face value? Like many here, including you, I certainly hope so!

:( Really hope they are not shoving Jim out of the picture...:(

Figments Friend

He'll be okay...

...and if they DO show him the door, well, we can always have a big 'Jim Day' Celebration at EPCOT for his going-away party.

I mean, i would rather he not have to go...but if that were to happen we would want to send him off in style...right?

:D

EPCOT Explorer

He'll be okay...

...and if they DO show him the door, well, we can always have a big 'Jim Day' Celebration at EPCOT for his going-away party.

I mean, i would rather he not have to go...but if that were to happen we would want to send him off in style...right?

:D

Without him, I don't think EPCOT would get the funding.:rolleyes:

Captain Chaos

Agreed. I'm happy to say the merch is slowly, hopefully surely headed in the right direction.

You know they won't give up a chance to make a buck off Space when SM opens back up. But hopefully Miley and HSM are outta there for good after that.

And I agree that AL and FL need some neat stuff.

Maybe they can blast Miley into space for the grand re-opening ceremony of Space Mountain... I'd pay to see that!!!!

wickedsoccer22

I worked for Coca Cola for a few years dealing with On-Premise accounts. Primarily, they used 5 gallon BIB and the profit was HUGE. If they used 5 gallon premix instead-the profit is even better.

Take a typical 16 ounce cup that Disney probably pays around 5 cents a cup if that. Coke standard is 50/50 ration of syrup and ice. So you are using around 8 ounces of actual finished product in each 16 ounce cup.
For BIB it used to average around 2-3 cents per ounce.

Sooooo.
lets say 2 cents per ounce at 8 ounces-16 cents.
cup cost around 5 cents per cup-if that not sure.
so about 21-25 cents total cost for a 16 ounce soda .

I am guessing this is the same as accounts that I dealt with such as Hotels, Golf Courses, and cruiselines. Disney may have better deal, which I am sure they do.
I have never dealt with Disney when I worked at Coke but I am guessing they have a sweet deal.

Well since Disney doesn't pay a dime for their syrup.... it's probably even less.

WDW1974

A few quick points before I pass out for the night ...

Jim isn't going to be involved with Shanghai DL, although that's a shame because he's exactly the type of guy who you'd want leading a new resort from blue sky to opening. And I think his personality would go over well with many of the government officials over there ... and I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who worked with/for these people for two months last summer.

Unfortunately, as others have stated, having a nebulous 'special projects' title typically is the kiss of death. It's telling the dude he should either retire, resign or look for employment elsewhere. Hoping that isn't the case, but standing up to Jay and Co didn't earn him any points except with the fans and cast -- and we know neither group matters much to Burbanks or TDO.

Merchandise is showing some signs of improvement, no doubt. From some themed items being returned to locations to even fresher lines of logo merchandise ... for instance it's great that the 2009 stuff gets rid of Stitch (who has been so overexposed) and replaces him with Buzz and Nemo joining Mickey and the gang ... also the MK 2009 line all has the ORIGINAL/CLASSIC WDW logo on the items (from sweatshirts to shot glasses or are they toothpick holders can never figure that out) instead of that horrible scripted Walt Disney signature that went on everything about a decade or more ago ... some of the retro stuff is nice as well ... and you can still always find unique quality items that aren't Disney in World Showcase ... and the high end items at Art of Disney.

I believe someone asked about the role of the beancounters as well, and frankly they're just like in any other company ... except Disney has a huge number of finance guys and they try and put numbers on creative endeavors and that's never a good thing. Every unit/division/operation has them ... it would be nice to see some of that fat get cut.

And again for the umpteenth time, it doesn't matter if the parks are busy if people aren't spending ... merchandise is huge for Disney ... and the 4/3 deal cuts greatly into the bottom line ... as to dining, well it seems that is doing quite well with all the ignorant guests buying into the DDP thinking they're getting a 'bargain.'

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Mr.EPCOT

also the MK 2009 line all has the ORIGINAL/CLASSIC WDW logo on the items (from sweatshirts to shot glasses or are they toothpick holders can never figure that out) instead of that horrible scripted Walt Disney signature that went on everything about a decade or more ago

Yeah, I know, I walked into the front corner of the Emporium there about a month or two ago, and I think I just stood there with my jaw hanging open for about five or ten minutes.

TarzanRocked99-

In a nutshell...
We had this:
PhotowirePressler.jpg

Finally got rid or that, and wound up with this:
170240jayrasulo.jpg

Not a positive step, but in different ways.

Personally, I wanted this:
ouimet.jpg

Anybody know the number for Starwood? :lol:

Matt left Starwood last year, I have no idea where he has ended up

wedway71

Well since Disney doesn't pay a dime for their syrup.... it's probably even less.

To be honest, I think they do pay something for the syrup. Like I said , I don't work for Disney, and when I worked for Coke, I never dealt with them.

Normally, depending on how good the account is, this is how it works.

Any huge acount has a contract with Coke.Some are a year some are up to 10 years. A presentation with pricing on all products to include, BIB, fountain equipment, CO2, cups, lids, 20oz CSD, and 16oz non carbs.

The contract will also talk about Marketing funds which is how much money per year a company may get just for pouring Coke. It may also talk about what free goodies an account may get such as free banners,signs,product, and truck backs.

Truck backs are the huge signs that can advertise an account on each Coke truck for a certain amount of time.

I would bet that Disney does pay for syrup. They get fountain equipment on a lease deal(FREE), discounts off cases of 20oz/16 oz, and some kick back money each year to boot.

Either way they do a sweet deal.

Again, I don't work for Disney or Coke anymore so don't take what I say as Gospel.

A few quick points before I pass out for the night ...

Jim isn't going to be involved with Shanghai DL, although that's a shame because he's exactly the type of guy who you'd want leading a new resort from blue sky to opening. And I think his personality would go over well with many of the government officials over there ... and I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who worked with/for these people for two months last summer.

Unfortunately, as others have stated, having a nebulous 'special projects' title typically is the kiss of death. It's telling the dude he should either retire, resign or look for employment elsewhere. Hoping that isn't the case, but standing up to Jay and Co didn't earn him any points except with the fans and cast -- and we know neither group matters much to Burbanks or TDO.

Merchandise is showing some signs of improvement, no doubt. From some themed items being returned to locations to even fresher lines of logo merchandise ... for instance it's great that the 2009 stuff gets rid of Stitch (who has been so overexposed) and replaces him with Buzz and Nemo joining Mickey and the gang ... also the MK 2009 line all has the ORIGINAL/CLASSIC WDW logo on the items (from sweatshirts to shot glasses or are they toothpick holders can never figure that out) instead of that horrible scripted Walt Disney signature that went on everything about a decade or more ago ... some of the retro stuff is nice as well ... and you can still always find unique quality items that aren't Disney in World Showcase ... and the high end items at Art of Disney.

I believe someone asked about the role of the beancounters as well, and frankly they're just like in any other company ... except Disney has a huge number of finance guys and they try and put numbers on creative endeavors and that's never a good thing. Every unit/division/operation has them ... it would be nice to see some of that fat get cut.

And again for the umpteenth time, it doesn't matter if the parks are busy if people aren't spending ... merchandise is huge for Disney ... and the 4/3 deal cuts greatly into the bottom line ... as to dining, well it seems that is doing quite well with all the ignorant guests buying into the DDP thinking they're getting a 'bargain.'

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Jim has a very cool special project assignment - think integrating new technologies (RFID, GPS, mobile?) into the parks.

WDW1974

Yeah, I know, I walked into the front corner of the Emporium there about a month or two ago, and I think I just stood there with my jaw hanging open for about five or ten minutes.

Yeah. I was shocked.

I hope it's the first step back toward using the old WDW logo again across property. Changing it (some would say updating it) was a huge mistake.

They learned the same thing at DL and have gone back to the original.

The Walt Disney signature is frankly bland and incredibly over-exposed since it appears on almost anything/everything Disney does.

Let's see that globe with mouse ears!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

jt04

Jim has a very cool special project assignment - think integrating new technologies (RFID, GPS, mobile?) into the parks.

I didn't buy into the whole spin that it was a position that was specially created next to the exit door. I have heard a bit about what I think you are talking about and if so, it's very exciting. Of course if you want to give us a bit more info I won't object. :D

GothMickey

I didn't buy into the whole spin that it was a position that was specially created next to the exit door. I have heard a bit about what I think you are talking about and if so, it's very exciting. Of course if you want to give us a bit more info I won't object. :D

Could it be they created this for him so they have someone to run the 40th????????????????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom