New Titles and Positions Announced including Jim MacPhee

TURKEY

Original Poster
I would be interested to know what gives the biggest margin, counter service or table? Perhaps they're not so concerned by driving people to burger and fries if they are getting more of a return.

Soft drinks and wine are both among the highest in profit margin in all of food and beverage.

GothMickey

That's my point. Even though people are claiming how full the parks are, they aren't spending the same amount to stay (4/3 promo on room and slight discount on tickets as well).

More and more people have finally realized the merch is crap and not worth buying even at the discounted rates. More and more food is being brought into the parks, while less is being bought and more splitting of meals is happening.

All of these moves being made seem to be just to cut cost, not improve any experience. What's going to happen if/when people do stop coming the way the are now and promos no longer are as effective as they have been?

What's going to happen then?

Jay Rasulo will continue to blame the economy. Iger will continue to believe him. New attractions will be put on hold. And WDW will crumble. However, no fault will be placed on management for their lackluster visions.

PhilharMagician

That's my point. Even though people are claiming how full the parks are, they aren't spending the same amount to stay (4/3 promo on room and slight discount on tickets as well).

More and more people have finally realized the merch is crap and not worth buying even at the discounted rates. More and more food is being brought into the parks, while less is being bought and more splitting of meals is happening.

All of these moves being made seem to be just to cut cost, not improve any experience. What's going to happen if/when people do stop coming the way the are now and promos no longer are as effective as they have been?

What's going to happen then?

Disney will sell the parks division to Six Flags. WDC has been busy prepping WDW to feel like Six Flags park over the past 8 - 10 years. :lookaroun

TURKEY

Original Poster
Jay Rasulo will continue to blame the economy. Iger will continue to believe him. New attractions will be put on hold. And WDW will crumble. However, no fault will be placed on management for their lackluster visions.

I'm curious, what would it take the optimist to realize how bad things really are and seem to be headed?

Animaniac93-98

I'm curious, what would it take the optimist to realize how bad things really are and seem to be headed?

A corpse or two? As morbid as that sounds it sure got everyone's attention on Disneyland. It should never come to that though, but the "it's still fine" crowd will continue to say so until a noticeable (I mean majorly so) disaster happens.

GothMickey

Not sure honestly. I try to be optimistic, holding out hope, putting faith in the management hoping they know what they are doing. However, with more that I see and even more that I read, I lose that hope, that faith. I don't see doom and gloom on the horizon, but, I see a stale product getting even more stale.

GothMickey

A corpse or two? As morbid as that sounds it sure got everyone's attention on Disneyland. It should never come to that though, but the "it's still fine" crowd will continue to say so until a noticeable (I mean majorly so) disaster happens.

And WDW's management seems to be part of the "it's still all fine" crowd.

wedway71

Soft drinks and wine are both among the highest in profit margin in all of food and beverage.

I worked for Coca Cola for a few years dealing with On-Premise accounts. Primarily, they used 5 gallon BIB and the profit was HUGE. If they used 5 gallon premix instead-the profit is even better.

Take a typical 16 ounce cup that Disney probably pays around 5 cents a cup if that. Coke standard is 50/50 ration of syrup and ice. So you are using around 8 ounces of actual finished product in each 16 ounce cup.
For BIB it used to average around 2-3 cents per ounce.

Sooooo.
lets say 2 cents per ounce at 8 ounces-16 cents.
cup cost around 5 cents per cup-if that not sure.
so about 21-25 cents total cost for a 16 ounce soda .

I am guessing this is the same as accounts that I dealt with such as Hotels, Golf Courses, and cruiselines. Disney may have better deal, which I am sure they do.
I have never dealt with Disney when I worked at Coke but I am guessing they have a sweet deal.

TP2000

Some former co-workers of mine at EPCOT were speculating that they believe the Jim's new "special projects" role is Shanghai.

I don't think so personally. This new restructuring very clearly put Nick Franklin as the Senior Vice President of Global Development. And reporting to Nick under "Advanced Development Projects" is Michael Crawford as the new Vice President of China Initiatives. Those teams are all based out of Glendale, California working closely with a satellite WDI office in China.

If Jim MacPhee was going to be put on the Shanghai China project, he would have been moved to that Global Development team and China sub-team along with all the other executive moves announced last week. He wasn't. MacPhee used to live in California too, but is now remaining in Florida.

I think MacPhee's new role is exactly what it says it is, sort of a make work position for a good guy who is going to be given responsibility for any special project that may come along on WDW property.

jt04

I don't think so personally. This new restructuring very clearly put Nick Franklin as the Senior Vice President of Global Development. And reporting to Nick under "Advanced Development Projects" is Michael Crawford as the new Vice President of China Initiatives. Those teams are all based out of Glendale, California working closely with a satellite WDI office in China.

If Jim MacPhee was going to be put on the Shanghai China project, he would have been moved to that Global Development team and China sub-team along with all the other executive moves announced last week. He wasn't. MacPhee used to live in California too, but is now remaining in Florida.

I think MacPhee's new role is exactly what it says it is, sort of a make work position for a good guy who is going to be given responsibility for any special project that may come along on WDW property.

Speculation by me but I still think he is going to be the eyes and ears for Glendale as new additions come to WDW. Kind of a quality assesment position to avoid another SSE problem which I think he was a total victim of. First up, Space Mountain.

vickyvale

I would a definition of "merchandise is crap" that I keep seeing. There is more variety in product today than there has been in years- product not only specific to attractions but to Parks in a way we haven't seen in a long time- the MK 71 stuff, Epcot retro, Frontierland, all of the bobbles that are themed to the Parks...there's a lot of nice stuff out there. Who care if some of the core assortment in duplicated on both coasts - most guests don't make it to both coasts, and there's a lot of specialized stuff out there.

EPCOT Explorer

Interesting! Thanks very much for posting that...I was wondering about their China plans..
Speculation by me but I still think he is going to be the eyes and ears for Glendale as new additions come to WDW. Kind of a quality assesment position to avoid another SSE problem which I think he was a total victim of. First up, Space Mountain.
One would hope, right? I wonder how involved JM was with the SSE Debacle.

imamouse

As it does not come to me as naturally, I will lean on your optimism Adam, and take additional solace in Lee not being immediately concerned.

Hopefully it's different at Disney....but in my corporate world, being reassigned to "special projects" is the kiss of death. It's akin to putting a loyal long term employee out to pasture, but giving them an extended period to retire or find themselves a new position. I hope not in this case.

Exactly the same in the huge corporation I work for and always has been (probably always will be). Anyone moved into "Special Projects" needs to search the want ads and start packing their desk while co-workers bet on how long the poor unfortunate soul lasts before “retiring” or “seeking a new opportunity outside the company.”

HOWEVER - in this case, it's a creative corporation, so it perhaps it should be taken at face value? Like many here, including you, I certainly hope so!

Lee

Adventurer
There is more variety in product today than there has been in years- product not only specific to attractions but to Parks in a way we haven't seen in a long time- the MK 71 stuff, Epcot retro, Frontierland, all of the bobbles that are themed to the Parks...there's a lot of nice stuff out there.
I agree, and that's as it should be. Things are inching in the right direction.
Though, I don't think it would kill them to put some Space Mtn. merch. in the Space Mtn. shop....

Now if they would correct the other issues:
-Hannah Montana and HSM merch. in Tomorrowland....or anywhere in MK for that matter. Belongs over at Studios, and should be beaten back there with a large stick.
-Lack of cool, on-theme merchandise that isn't strictly Disney related. Used to be you could buy some cool, non-Disney stuff in Adventureland and Frontierland. And no, surf wear which can be found in Anytown USA doesn't count.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom