News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

dvitali

My guess for the delay until 2024 is:
Epcot is adding the same mini light as Starship Earth outside the PLAY area to entice people to go over there.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It honestly wouldn't be worth it for them. As a competitor, they know how vital Marvel would be to Disney's success. Selling it to Disney would be Universal shooting itself the foot, essentially providing easy success for their competition. At the moment, they're holding a large part of their biggest competition's potential success at bay.
To add to this, unless they were going to build a while 5th gate around Marvel, I'm not sure the ROI would be worth the cost it would take to buy the rights from Uni. I mean, even if the cost to buy the rights alone was reasonable, Uni would still want some sort of compensation in the deal to use to retheme the current Super Hero island and that alone could be justified at a few hundred million. So for Disney to spend hundreds of millions for Uni to retheme and hundreds if millions more for whatever they would ultimately build, the juice has got to be worth the squeeze. I do wonder if Uni would be more open to a deal which would allow WDW to not have the entire catalog, but utilize characters that Uni is not already utilizing (in a significant manner) like AntMan, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel (none of the "Main line" Avengers) possibly in exchange for the rights to some of the scarier Fox owned properties that Disney (likely) has no intention of using (like Alien, Predators, or 28 Days Later).

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
but utilize characters that Uni is not already utilizing (in a significant manner) like AntMan, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel (none of the "Main line" Avengers)
That's the ticket though. The contract also has the clause that states Disney can't use characters represented in Superhero Island... Universal added Black Panther to a mural relatively quickly and have added different merch to the shops with newer characters. They know what they're doing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's the ticket though. The contract also has the clause that states Disney can't use characters represented in Superhero Island... Universal added Black Panther to a mural relatively quickly and have added different merch to the shops with newer characters. They know what they're doing.

mural's and merch don't give Universal the rights to a character. The list of characters they have the rights to was set at the time the contact was made.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It honestly wouldn't be worth it for them. As a competitor, they know how vital Marvel would be to Disney's success. Selling it to Disney would be Universal shooting itself the foot, essentially providing easy success for their competition. At the moment, they're holding a large part of their biggest competition's potential success at bay.

Universal is also paying a bargain basement price for the Marvel rights. If they re-themed they would likely have to pay a lot more for something that is no where near as popular as Marvel is right now.

MrPromey

I think thats part of the failure of sponsorship. If GM wants all of test track thats fine. But if they balk at the price why not bring in firestone as well. While I dont want the front of a pavilion looking like a nascar vehicle, you could tastefully have 5 companies listed, or make the main sponsor outside and display others inside. Vary control and marketing based on amount paid.

That's called Comunicore/Innoventions and they've already proven it can work so you're right.

MrPromey

I wonder how long until disney negotiates avengers characters rights back to Disney. Everything has a price, and I could see universal getting a pretty penny for those marvel rights

Probably about the same time it'll take them to get the Simpson's back. 🤷‍♂️

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
mural's and merch don't give Universal the rights to a character. The list of characters they have the rights to was set at the time the contact was made.

So, basically, we could say with confidence that ANY new Marvel character that debuted after 1999 would NOT be in the contract and should be fair game? I have to wonder if this is what WDW is waiting for... the MCU clearly seems to be setting up the Young Avengers and most (all?) of them debuted in comics that came out after 1999... I wonder what the contract says about variations of current characters... like Kid Loki or Miles Morales

lazyboy97o

So, basically, we could say with confidence that ANY new Marvel character that debuted after 1999 would NOT be in the contract and should be fair game? I have to wonder if this is what WDW is waiting for... the MCU clearly seems to be setting up the Young Avengers and most (all?) of them debuted in comics that came out after 1999... I wonder what the contract says about variations of current characters... like Kid Loki or Miles Morales
Variants are not specifically addressed.

Movielover

How would this have even worked? WDW can't use characters that are in the Avengers family.

Like I said earlier this could be a reason why it’s not happening
Maybe the WDW version would have been based on The Revengers!

1658223666940.png

;)

Bocabear

I don't think they are holding their success at bay...Disney is already too successful financially... Disney also has a HUGE amount of IP usable and ready...eventually the super hero thing will wane in popularity and then it will be time for something else.
with several Superhero tv series and way too many movies, I am about sick of them...Give me something new to dream about that isn't uber-violent... It is time we as a society start realizing that we are becoming desensitized to violence and it is getting worse and worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom