New Maps for All Stars with smoking sections!

mdisney

We do deal with the kids, so you deal with the smokers...as long as they are following the rules, which most of us do.

There is a big difference between being "allergic" to smoke and just not liking the smell. How can you be allergic to a "smell" as opposed to the actual smoke itself which would dissipate pretty quickly outdoors?

As far as not smoking in rooms, I have no problem with that, we don't do that anyways. I just wonder about not being able to smoke on the balconies as long as no one is around...

Its a FAMILY THEME PARK which means kids there. Another thing is second hand smoke kills more people than first hand smoking.

The Genii

It's very simple: smokers are drug addicts.

Nicotine is a drug.

Cigarettes are merely a delivery system that large corporations have used, with the help and encouragement of the US Government (which loves big business), to create millions of drug addicts who MUST buy their products.

End of story.

All other discussions must stem from the fact that anyone writes anything in defense of smoking is writing from the position of a drug addict trying to defend their addiction.

Sorry, but I give no credence to anything drug addicts have to say about their rights.

I think smoking should be banned.

I don't want to hear about your right to be a drug addict.

JCorduroy

Nicotine is a drug.

Cigarettes are merely a delivery system that large corporations have used, with the help and encouragement of the US Government (which loves big business), to create millions of drug addicts who MUST buy their products.

End of story.

All other discussions must stem from the fact that anyone writes anything in defense of smoking is writing from the position of a drug addict trying to defend their addiction.

Sorry, but I give no credence to anything drug addicts have to say about their rights.

That's a bit of an overzealous statement, but true in base fact. However, if you're banning cigarette smoking as it's a drug, we'll need to shut down every facility in the US making alcohol, stop importing coffee and tea, get rid of chocolate (also caffeine), no artificial sweeteners...it can be taken too far.

Illegal drugs, I'm with you, man. We're completely on the same level there. However, if someone chooses to smoke outdoors in designated areas, they should be allowed to (like it or not, our government said it's ok, and it's the only government we've got, so we're kinda stuck with it). Same with people wanting to drink around the world at EPCOT - if they're of the legal age, and are in no way impeding on someones ability to enjoy their vacation or day at the park, then they should be allowed to partake of their frosty beverage:p , killer margarita:dazzle:, or marlboro red:hurl: .

If they're out of their areas? Or, in the case of alcohol, acting like a tool, then they should be removed from the park immediately. I've got no problems with someone damaging their bodies in designated areas, but the second they start taking it too far or moving into a spot that can bother a family or a child - that's too far.

krueg66

Its a FAMILY THEME PARK which means kids there. Another thing is second hand smoke kills more people than first hand smoking.

So adults without children cannot enjoy WDW as well??? OK.

And as far as the second hand smoke thing, not a scientific fact. I wouldn't sit there and blow smoke in anyones face, but that is a weak argument in this debate. Not liking the smell and dying from it are two different things.

krueg66

Nicotine is a drug.

End of story.

WOW, you're a tolerant one, huh? You know who else doesn't want to debate or hear differing opinions....fascists.

c133125

You can easily tell who the smokers are.
Smoking is pointless and a waste of money.
Some people (like myself) and those with asthma cannot breathe the smoke for medical reasons.
So the easist thing to do is ban smoking in Disney.
Dont like it? Well dont go then.

shoppingnut

The problem with the more vocal of non-smokers is that most of their arguments just don't hold up. Someone earlier said something about having to breathe in smoke is one thing, but smelling it is an entirely different matter. The reply was typical, in that the smell is nasty and why should a non-smoker have to endure the smell from a distant smoker? That sounds good at first, but there's a problem there. You're trying to dictate the behavior of others that you find annoying or unsatisfactory. Again, that may sound good on the surface, but here's the problem...

As someone else mentioned, he finds screaming, whining children annoying. Why should a childless person have to endure your rugrat screaming and crying at the dinner table? Why do we all have to deal with that noise pollution?

Going back to smells, should Disney also put a mandatory showering and deodorant use policy into effect? Standing near someone who has strong body odor is offensive. Why should I have to endure their stench, simply because they choose not to wear a more effective deodorant, or one that I find pleasing?

People on cell phones annoy me. They usually talk several orders of magnitude louder than they normally would, and I don't care what you're having for dinner or where your kid has wandered off to. Why should everyone else have to put up with your stupid ringtones that are both annoying and potentially offensive!

Do you see the point? People, by and large, will follow the rules - if the rules are reasonable. Give smokers places to smoke, and the vast majority of them will go and smoke there. Make the places out of the way enough so that people won't have to breathe in the "health-risk" second hand smoke (yet they have no problem standing around, breathing in MUCH more noxious bus fumes for hours over their stay...). By removing all smoking rooms, and smoking on balconies, all Disney is doing is encouraging people to break the rules. The fine will be a deterrent to some, but most people will buy air freshener and think they will get away with it...and most will. It's fairly easy to negate the lingering smell of cigarettes with the proper air sanitizer. People who go into a hotel room and smell the smoke are victims of a poor housekeeping staff more than they are of the smoker, but I digress.

All I wanted to comment on was the arrogance of the assumption that Group A should be able to dictate the behavior of Group B, simply because they do not like it. If I had a nickle for everytime some soccer mom almost ran over me (or knicked my heel) with a stroller, I'd buy Bill Gates and sell him to China. Still, I don't propose a stroller ban, or a fee for everytime one collides with me. Then again, I'm reasonable. I expect that if I follow the rules, then other people will to. Sometimes my idealism gets in the way, I guess, and I forget about people who'd rather change the rules than follow them.

You are forgetting one thing, that Disney has decided this to be the law of THEIR land and they are dictating it since it is private property. It costs a lot less and is faster to clean a non-smoking room than a smoking room. Also many people who do smoke will stay in non-smoking rooms because they can't stand the stink of smoking ones. Smoking ones stink NOT because of the housekeeping didn't clean the room, they do clean them, but they can't be shampooing carpets and drapes after people check out. And, yes, there are people allergic to smoke and just smelling it can bring on an asmatic attack.

Regarding the rotten bratty kids, well I deal with it because I like going to Disney, but I have learn to minimize some of my exposure to them so I can have quiet now and then. One way is by eating at some of the higher end restaurants, like Yachtsman and Jinko where you tend to find less kids. I even go off property to other places.

One fact of life is that no matter what the other person is doing it's going probably offend someone somehow.

wannabeBelle

Second hand smoke is definitely an opinion thing. I live in NYC So I certainly know from pollution and not great air quality. I also have parents who smoke so I might be more tolerant than others. Smoking within a closed room even with ventilation will cause damage to the fabrics in the room ( Curtains, bedspreads, blankets, sheets, carpeting etc) In addition it will cause more than average dirt to accumulate on the walls. This would all be more costly to Disney to maintain a smoking room. I cant imagine how anyone could argue this.
As far as the second hand smoke/ health argument, the answer is simple for me. I choose not to be around second hand smoke if I can avoid it as I already have enough potential carcinogens, I dont think I want more. I cant control some of the other pollutants in the air I breathe, but this one I can so I do. It isnt done with malice or hate, I dont get all huffy about it and most people have no problem that I want to stay upwind of smokers. It seems to work out OK for me.
Belle

mdisney

So adults without children cannot enjoy WDW as well??? OK.

And as far as the second hand smoke thing, not a scientific fact. I wouldn't sit there and blow smoke in anyones face, but that is a weak argument in this debate. Not liking the smell and dying from it are two different things.

I mean that you should know that kids will be there, and i did not say adults without children can not enjoy disney. I said you should realize kids will be there as well.

Also just to let you know a server in a smoking section for a whole shift is like smoking a pack of cigrattes.

krueg66

You can easily tell who the smokers are.
Smoking is pointless and a waste of money.
Some people (like myself) and those with asthma cannot breathe the smoke for medical reasons.
So the easist thing to do is ban smoking in Disney.
Dont like it? Well dont go then.

Well, it isn't banned. So if I were you, I would avoid the quarantine zones which I'm sure you do.

This whole thing has gotten off track. Can Disney dictate their hotels as smoke-free, absolutely. Will most of us Evil Smokers/drug addicts abide by the rules, absolutely. Do those of you that hate smoke/Evil Smokers/drug addicts have a choice to stay away from the quarantine zones, absolutely. Should smokers that break the rules be beaten, absolutely. Should absentee parents of screaming, annoying children be beaten, absolutely. There, we are all happy now.

jmvd20

People may be able to say that secondhand smoke being dangerous is an opinion but that is not the case.

Fact, carcinogens cause cancer.

Fact, cigarette smoke contains 11 *known* human carcinogens

Based upon these it is easy to conclude that cigarette smoke, including second hand is dangerous.

I do however feel that smokers should be allowed to smoke in designated areas that are located fairly frequently in guest areas, even including Toontown.

jmvd20

They have been also known to kick people out of the room if they are smoking in it after several times told not too.

Which they should. If someone is repeatedly breaking the rules then there is no other choice but to remove them.

It is just like everything else though - a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I know many smokers and they are all courteous about it. If they were asked they would put the cigarette out and it would be over, no need for an extended argument. Just because some break the rules doesn't mean everyone will.

krueg66

I mean that you should know that kids will be there, and i did not say adults without children can not enjoy disney. I said you should realize kids will be there as well.

Also just to let you know a server in a smoking section for a whole shift is like smoking a pack of cigrattes.

I'm sure it is...but that is much different than being outside or even on a balcony. You are in a confined space with people blowing smoke all around you. Much different than at Disney, don't you think?

I do know that kids will be there and I deal...kinda like dealing with smokers in the quarantine zones and at bars.

krueg66

People may be able to say that secondhand smoke being dangerous is an opinion but that is not the case.

Fact, carcinogens cause cancer.

Fact, cigarette smoke contains 11 *known* human carcinogens

Based upon these it is easy to conclude that cigarette smoke, including second hand is dangerous.

I do however feel that smokers should be allowed to smoke in designated areas that are located fairly frequently in guest areas, even including Toontown.

You're concluding that...there is no conclusive scientific evidence to support it. (kinda of like global warming, a theory, not scientific fact)

shoppingnut

I'm sure it is...but that is much different than being outside or even on a balcony.

Not if my balcony is downwind of yours. At least if it is outside I can walk away from you, but when on the balcony, my only choice is to go inside my room and that's just unfair since I paid good money to have a hotel room with a balcony.

IcicleM

The problem with the more vocal of non-smokers is that most of their arguments just don't hold up. Someone earlier said something about having to breathe in smoke is one thing, but smelling it is an entirely different matter. The reply was typical, in that the smell is nasty and why should a non-smoker have to endure the smell from a distant smoker? That sounds good at first, but there's a problem there. You're trying to dictate the behavior of others that you find annoying or unsatisfactory. Again, that may sound good on the surface, but here's the problem...

As someone else mentioned, he finds screaming, whining children annoying. Why should a childless person have to endure your rugrat screaming and crying at the dinner table? Why do we all have to deal with that noise pollution?

Going back to smells, should Disney also put a mandatory showering and deodorant use policy into effect? Standing near someone who has strong body odor is offensive. Why should I have to endure their stench, simply because they choose not to wear a more effective deodorant, or one that I find pleasing?

People on cell phones annoy me. They usually talk several orders of magnitude louder than they normally would, and I don't care what you're having for dinner or where your kid has wandered off to. Why should everyone else have to put up with your stupid ringtones that are both annoying and potentially offensive!

Do you see the point? People, by and large, will follow the rules - if the rules are reasonable. Give smokers places to smoke, and the vast majority of them will go and smoke there. Make the places out of the way enough so that people won't have to breathe in the "health-risk" second hand smoke (yet they have no problem standing around, breathing in MUCH more noxious bus fumes for hours over their stay...). By removing all smoking rooms, and smoking on balconies, all Disney is doing is encouraging people to break the rules. The fine will be a deterrent to some, but most people will buy air freshener and think they will get away with it...and most will. It's fairly easy to negate the lingering smell of cigarettes with the proper air sanitizer. People who go into a hotel room and smell the smoke are victims of a poor housekeeping staff more than they are of the smoker, but I digress.

All I wanted to comment on was the arrogance of the assumption that Group A should be able to dictate the behavior of Group B, simply because they do not like it. If I had a nickle for everytime some soccer mom almost ran over me (or knicked my heel) with a stroller, I'd buy Bill Gates and sell him to China. Still, I don't propose a stroller ban, or a fee for everytime one collides with me. Then again, I'm reasonable. I expect that if I follow the rules, then other people will to. Sometimes my idealism gets in the way, I guess, and I forget about people who'd rather change the rules than follow them.

Uhhh... I think you might be missing something, here. It's not that we "don't like it" It's the fact that it uh... kills us, maybe? Whining children and nasty stench won't kill us, and we can put up with that, but if there's a person smoking in front of or somewhere around us, and they refuse to put out their cigarette (because their cigarette isn't a person like a baby or a stinky person is, so they have a choice, there) for common courtesy's sake, then people are actually getting hurt by it. I'm an asthmatic who is also allergic to nicotine, and have swelled up before while being around a smoker long enough, and as I ran out of line to go into a clear area and use my medicine, the smoker watched me run away, still smoking their cigarette.

I swear I could have STRANGLED her while still swollen!

So though you think you've "hit the nail" and made a great post, really look what you've done: You've created a new argument.

UncleJeet

Actually, you don't technically have an allergy to cigarette smoke. (link) That being said, of course the smoke (as smoke, mind you, not as the lingering smell in a hotel room or on a person's body) can irritate existing conditions or other allergies already aggravated, which is why many doctors simply tell their patients that they are allergic to the smoke itself. It's an easier idea to get across, and something that everyone already believes - but, anyway, that's just semantics.

As for Disney being private property which can therefore dictate the "laws" of their land, that's only true up to a point. In this particular circumstance, yes they have every right to come up with whatever smoking regulations they want. However, they don't actually have the right to create laws, regardless of how magical their kingdom is. WDW is not, actually, a sovereign nation, independent of both national and state laws and regulations. For the less reactive readers of this forum, this will be a silly nag point I'm making, but there seem to be quiet a lot of extremists in this thread, and it is for them that I make it.

As far as my examples go of regulating behavior, yes I know kids will be at Disneyworld. I intended my example as, well, an example - not as a hard counterpoint over which we should debate. We can ignore kids altogether, if you like, and I'll make a more literal comparison and we can debate this one, if you want.

Let's go with the assumption that people are "allergic" to cigarette smoke. Asthmatics can't be around it (one would hope they wouldn't go to the out of the way nook-and-cranny smoking areas), and I understand that. That's why there are designated smoking areas and smoking rooms. Again, please observe that I'm saying that most people have no problem following the rules. I just like rules to be reasonable.

Now let's say, and this is much more true than many of the claims made against smokers, that people are also allergic to various colognes and perfumes. They can upset a person's medical conditions by coming into contact with the fumes they produce, which is to say that simply being near someone wearing a fragrance to which you are allergic is enough to set off your symptoms. This is a bit different from the lingering smell of cigarette smoke, which can't trigger medical symptoms but which can just be annoying to those who have to smell the person near them who recently finished a cigarette. To cause problems, one suffering a medical condition needs to be around the smoke itself, remember.

People also tend to put on their fragrances in their hotel rooms when they're getting ready for the day, or cleaning up for the evening. It's also, depending upon the chemical compound of the fragrance, very difficult to get out of the room because you cannot neutralize it with an air spray like you can with cigarette smoke. (I'm sure you could, if you knew which fragrance you were targeting and which chemicals would counter it, but since there are 'umpteen' colognes and perfumes out there, it's a bit of an impractical notion.)

So this leaves us with a problem. If we agree that smokers should be banned simply because some people dislike the way they smell, or even if we make the logical leap that would allow both cigarette smoke itself and the lingering scent it leaves to upset medical conditions, then we really need to address the cologne and perfume problem.

However, telling people that they can't wear cologne or perfume at Disneyworld seems like a crazy notion, doesn't it? Even with the knowledge that people wearing fragrances are much more pervasive than those smoking cigarettes, and that since one must actually be exposed to the smoke itself to upset medical conditions rather than simply breath in the smell of a fragrance the person next to you is wearing, it makes logical sense that fragrances be banned. After all, there are more people wearing cologne or perfume walking around unchecked than there are smokers huddled in an out-of-the-way smoking nook.

My point is very simple and, I think, very American. I respect your right to do something you enjoy but that I find personally offensive. If your enjoyment of whatever that is encroaches unreasonably upon me, then we're going to have a conflict. If, however, you respect my space, I will respect yours.

In other words, if you smoke away from me, in one of the designated areas I won't go to, then I won't be subject to your harmful second hand smoke. All I will be forced to deal with is the smell I find objectionable later, when you're standing next to me in line. Since that's just a minor annoyance on my part, rather than something that would directly cause me harm, I don't really feel I have any right to demand you change your behavior. Now, if you were to light up next to me in the queue, that then becomes unreasonable, and we're going to have problems.

I ask you, then, why is it unreasonable to allow smokers designated areas and rooms which contain the medically harmful smoke, but reasonable for someone else to wear their cologne, which can potentially harm anyone who gets near them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom