New Maps for All Stars with smoking sections!

backinaction

I dont know. Disney would have to go through a bunch of litigation to try and collect this money. It would prove to be a huge waist of time and resources for them because most people would not just accept a $500 fine for smoking. Most people would fight this charge to the bitter end because 500 bucks, in most cases, would be more then the actual hotel charge itself. I cannot see disney going to court trying to collect on a "smoking" charge, which is absurdly high, and would most likely be thrown out anyway. Think about how many of their own customers that they would alienate. Not goina happen.

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
just stayed at the allstar for three nights. I was able to smoke in the rooms with no problem. They didn't fine me 500 dollars. They didn't do anything at all. Disney looks to aviod confrontations at all costs. Theres no way that they would ever enforce this.

So, even though you were well aware of the new no smoking policy in effect at all Disney resorts, you purposefully smoked out your room and broke their policy, in effect breaching the contract you signed with Disney? And you're bragging about it on the boards?

Good job, man. Good job. Keep a close eye on those credit card statements; they can charge the money directly to the card without consulting you since you were in breach of contract.

And, of course, you'll dispute the charge, and waste your time, the credit card companies time, and Disney's time to avoid paying a fine that you KNOW you are responsible for.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's a contract that you sign when you check into your hotel. If you break the contract then you have to pay, you have no option.

Besides, they generally have your credit card number, so it would just be tacked onto your bill.

It would NOT be thrown out of court, as you have violated the signed contract!

wannabeBelle

Actually the 5 designated areas at OKW are all public areas, the 4 pools and the Turtle Krawl. However, the map also states smoking is allowed at the front of each guest room building.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/OKWMap.pdf

wdw info has PDF's of all the new resort maps with the designated smoking areas. It is basically 1 location per building. The Contemporary has 1 front and 1 rear in the Tower and 1 in front of the South Wing. WL has 1 in the front and 1 in the rear near the Trout Pass pool bar and 1 at the Villas.

Thanks for clearing that up!!!! I was pretty confused as I know OKW is very spread out so having smoking areas just in those 5 areas wouldnt make much sense!!!!
As far as Disney collecting the money that is more than a room stay for the night, that is correct. The room fee from what I understand is a room cleaning fee which would probably include carpet steam cleaning, dry cleaning of curtains and washing/ dry cleaning of all cloth items such as bedspreads, blankets sheets, pillows and maybe even more. Dont forget the manpower to do all of this. I could see where this fee would be between $250 and $500. I can see how this would be a pain but I dont doubt that it will be enforced. Belle

stalkingmickey

And when must you pay this so called recovery fee? Before you leave or do they send you a bill? And what happens if it is at checkout and I say "Got no money left, spent it all on souvenirs? Will I be locked up inside the jail cell within POTC?

You give a credit card for your reservations, and usually when you check in. They will simpley charge your credit card the fee. Its not disney's fault if you sign things without reading them. You are actually signing that you have read and understood the rules.

MaXXimus

Actually the only reason they should need my credit card is if I plan on using the internet or something of that nature, which I do not. Also I know some people book through them and then have to pay the balance, but my entire trip has been payed for, for months now and was booked through a travel agency and payed for by my mom with a check... so unless they plan on killing me to have me give my credit card up then... :shrug: :ROFLOL:

stalkingmickey

Actually the only reason they should need my credit card is if I plan on using the internet or something of that nature, which I do not. Also I know some people book through them and then have to pay the balance, but my entire trip has been payed for, for months now and was booked through a travel agency and payed for by my mom with a check... so unless they plan on killing me to have me give my credit card up then... :shrug: :ROFLOL:

Well most people use a credit card to pay for trips (You get some trip insurance with a credit card)

Even if you go through a travel agent the reservation ultimately ends up in disneys system.

I have paid cash for hotel rooms (or check) and they require a credit card for room charges, any damages or stolen items or you need to put down a sizeable cash deposit which is returned when you check out. The marriott actual sends a person to the room to inspect it before they release your deposit. If you pay by credit card then no cash deposit is required because they can charge any fines to the card.

stalkingmickey

Hmmm ok, I give them my one mastercard that only has like $150 left on it :D

They should be running the card when you check in and some actual will put a hold on your credit card. This hold is not released for a few days after you check out. This is why they usually have a sign at the front desk about using a debit card when you check in.

MaXXimus

I cant use my debit cause the only money on that will be what I need for my trip... so there gonna ahve to deal with my credit card that has as I said... about $150 remaining.

unkadug

I think that if you PLAN on staying at a Disney resort and PLAN on smoking in your room, then you should either PLAN on paying or PLAN on staying off property!

joshwill

In the latest DVC Member newsletter, there was an insert regarding the new no-smoking policy at all WDW-owned and operated resorts, including DVC properties. Included was the following:

"The new policy applies to all Guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Guests who violate the policy by smoking in their rooms, or on their rooms' balconies or patios, will be assessed a room-recovery fee (no impact on Members' Annual Dues) to cover the costs of a deep-cleaning process, which may include the replacement of air filters, extraction of carpet, and the cleaning or replacing of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows."

So that $250-500 fine for smoking mentioned previously, if assessed, will only be the tip of the iceberg at DVC properties.

Every room will be checked after guest checkout, and if it smells like smoke, expect a bill.

I agree with you on this. If you don't want to smell smoke, go somewhere that doesn't allow it. There are, and will be, plenty of establishments that cater to the non-smoking crowd.

how can you fine someone a room recovery fee for smoking on a balcony or patio? will they have housekeeping on their knees with magnifying glasses looking for ashes? maybe theyll have their own labs to send samples to for analysis.

sheesh

HoW

I think that if you PLAN on staying at a Disney resort and PLAN on smoking in your room, then you should either PLAN on paying or PLAN on staying off property!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I grew up in a family where my dad, mom, and, when she was old enough, my sister. And when they go down with me they have said they'll just deal with the fact that they'll have to do some walking for the habit. It should be about planning how to allocate your time now, not planning on how to cheat the system.

MaXXimus

Anywayz, no credit card is even required. I just called down there and asked them about needing some sort of credit card for security deposit and he said no... so I even explained it about how when I go to say the Jersey shore and rent a room they require this in the event of room damage and he again said "No, Disney World does not operate this way"

MaXXimus

And ya know, I wasnt trying to say YEA IM GONNA SMOKE! I was asking, what do they plan on doing in the event that I do and they have no credit card to charge those fees to? Arrest me? Tell me to leave? :shrug: :lookaroun

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
No, but you need to know that it IS a crime.

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. It is YOUR job as a citizen or as a guest to know the rules and laws of an establishment. Any consequences that ensue from ignorance on your part are yours to face alone.

unkadug

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. It is YOUR job as a citizen or as a guest to know the rules and laws of an establishment. Any consequences that ensue from ignorance on your part are yours to face alone.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I said this before I knew that they had indeed posted signs and had this on the check-in card.

It wouldn't be right to change the rules in the middle of the game without informing people is all I meant by that.

(please see my later posts:wave: )

MaXXimus

I had called down the other day about breakfast reservations and found it quite amusing how when asked how come I never received any notice about the ban or that the smoking room I requested would not be available because of the ban, all she said was "We never guarantee a smoking room so, no need to make anyone aware of the ban".

Thank goodness for this site or I would have gotten down there and found out about it and would have been like :eek: :mad: :cry:

erasure fan1

Anywayz, no credit card is even required. I just called down there and asked them about needing some sort of credit card for security deposit and he said no... so I even explained it about how when I go to say the Jersey shore and rent a room they require this in the event of room damage and he again said "No, Disney World does not operate this way"
Thats interesting that Disney doesnt need a credit card at check in. I have never stayed at a hotel that didnt need one, even with the room being paid for in advance by me or someone else. We go to a water park in WI and my mom pays for the trip every year and they wont let us check in with out giving them a card first. And they needed our card when my mother inlaw paid for our honeymoon at disney. Of course we didnt question that so I dont know what would have happened if we said no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom