New Maps for All Stars with smoking sections!

shoppingnut

I agree that as Americans you have the right to smoke, just like you have the right to drink booze. But on private propery they have the right to enact their own rules. I don't think the govt has the right to tell anyone how live their life. But private property owners have the right to set the rules on their property. I don't smoke but the Disney has right set thet own agenda. Whether I agree or not.

I think that is what many people tend to forget is that Disney is privately owned and can set their own rules. Just like their cruise line has no gambling on board, it was their choice to do that and if you don't like it, then you have the option to choose another cruise line. But just because all other cruise lines have gambling doesn't mean that Disney has to have it too.

Kalikala

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I wanted to add that it isn't an uncommon practice. I work front desk at a hotel, and we do add on a fee if someone smokes in a non-smoking room, as well as a fee if someone has a pet in a room. It basically just covers the cost of what has to be done to get the room back to normal. In our case, we sometimes can't rent a room that has been smoked in for several days, until the smell clears out, but I'm sure Disney had better equipment for dealing with it.

ThinkTink721

We are going to WDW w/ my in-laws this Sept. & both of them smoke.
Neither my husband or I do, so it's not a problem for us.
I told my in-laws about the new policy & they understand it & said they will abide by the rule.
If everyone did what they were supposed to do, the world would be a much easier place to live in, but the fact is, unfortunately, some people do not follow the rules.
:wave:

One thing I have yet to find is the reason why Disney is doing this. I am 100% against smoking, I think it is beyond gross, but why eliminate smoking rooms? I can see having rooms set aside for non-smokers (the vast majority of them, at least 75% of them), but it just makes sense to have rooms set aside for people to smoke in. Smokers won't complain if the room they get smells like smoke. Non-smokers will and should. Smokers smoking in a specified hotel room harms no one but themselves (and their unfortunate families, but I am sure they are used to it.)
It all falls under the same idea as smoking in the parks. I love the idea that smoking is allowed in only certain sections and think CMs should do a better job of enforcing the rule. But what Disney did within the past year and a half was eliminate one of the smoking sections from each land in the MK, leaving only one or two in the bigger lands.
I think that most smokers are going to obide by the rules if they are courteously enforced by CMs, but they also need to be able to find them on their own very easily. If they can't find them easily, most will just say "forget it" and smoke anywhere. There are plenty of out of the way places that won't bother anyone. If anything, they should be INCREASING, not DECREASING the number of smoking areas, and putting them in the right spots.

Jimmy Thick

Bravo Disney!!!!

I can only hope that one day Disney World will be 100% smoke free, and I personally do not have to deal with smokers at all. There is nothing worse than someone lighting up when in a outside queue, and the surrounding people being forced to smell some weakling "self-medicate". I once pulled a cigarette out of a guys mouth in line at the Haunted Mansion, the crowd around started clapping and cheering and the guy looked like he was going to cry and quickly vacated.

No sympathy from me, none at all.

MaXXimus

Ok here is my little story...

I asked for a smoking room when I booked my trip 6 months ago (or so). If I get to the resort and the only place this no smoking warning is on is the little registration card and a small sign in the room, then who is going to take me to jail if I say "I didnt know, I requested a smoking room and there for assumed it was one"?

And when must you pay this so called recovery fee? Before you leave or do they send you a bill? And what happens if it is at checkout and I say "Got no money left, spent it all on souvenirs? Will I be locked up inside the jail cell within POTC?

kennyj29

Smoking

I have to say that smoking areas at the park are great!
Although none of my family smokes except for my son, the smoking areas are not a problem. My son is a Disney kid and never goes against smoking policies anywhere. When we had a room he would go out on the patio or balcony, close the door behind him, and have a cup with water in it. He would smoke, put the cigarette out in the water and wait a few minutes before coming back in the room so the smoke wouldn't follow him in. He absolutely HATES when people smoke in the parks on line, walking, or any other place they are not supposed to do it. I completely understand the no smoking policies because most people don't care and smoke in the rooms or with the balcony doors open. But for people who 100% follow any rules they are given, its a little upsetting. He will do whatever Disney says about smoking but you CAN'T have a non smoking rule and have no place to smoke on property, that's a bit over the edge!

MaXXimus

I am a smoker and I can understand no smoking rules... but agree with kenny about more areas for smoking. I go to a resturant and at least I know I can step outside to smoke, but go to say MK and Im suppose to hoof half way across the park to have a smoke? Thats just outright insulting when it simple enough to have smoking sections evenly spaced around the park/s.

rtiller

One thing I have yet to find is the reason why Disney is doing this. I am 100% against smoking, I think it is beyond gross, but why eliminate smoking rooms? I can see having rooms set aside for non-smokers (the vast majority of them, at least 75% of them), but it just makes sense to have rooms set aside for people to smoke in. Smokers won't complain if the room they get smells like smoke. Non-smokers will and should. Smokers smoking in a specified hotel room harms no one but themselves (and their unfortunate families, but I am sure they are used to it.)
It all falls under the same idea as smoking in the parks. I love the idea that smoking is allowed in only certain sections and think CMs should do a better job of enforcing the rule. But what Disney did within the past year and a half was eliminate one of the smoking sections from each land in the MK, leaving only one or two in the bigger lands.
I think that most smokers are going to obide by the rules if they are courteously enforced by CMs, but they also need to be able to find them on their own very easily. If they can't find them easily, most will just say "forget it" and smoke anywhere. There are plenty of out of the way places that won't bother anyone. If anything, they should be INCREASING, not DECREASING the number of smoking areas, and putting them in the right spots.

Based on the letter we received, being DVC members, it was due to less and less demand for smoking rooms. Basically Disney said they were getting more demand for non-smoking rooms than they had available at times and it is easier to ask a smoker to take a non-smoking room and not smoke in it than to expect a family (who doesn't smoke) to take a smoking room...I guess.

Larry Mondello

I am a smoker and I can understand no smoking rules... but agree with kenny about more areas for smoking. I go to a resturant and at least I know I can step outside to smoke, but go to say MK and Im suppose to hoof half way across the park to have a smoke? Thats just outright insulting when it simple enough to have smoking sections evenly spaced around the park/s.

Actually looking at this list, smoking area are quite plentiful.

Walt Disney World Smoking Areas
Designated Smoking Locations

MAGIC KINGDOM
  • Main Street, U.S.A.
    • The corner of Tony's Town Square Restaurant
    • Waterside utdoor tables at the Plaza Pavilion Restaurant
  • Tomorrowland
    • Planter across from the exit of Carousel of Progress
    • Between exit of Speedway and Geiger's Counter
  • Mickey’s Toontown Fair
    • Benches along back exit of Mickey’s Toontown Fair Train Station
  • Fantasyland
    • Just to the left of the back entrance to Cinderella's Royal Castle.
  • Liberty Square
    • Behind Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe
  • Frontierland
    • Exterior seating area of Pecos Bill’s Café, next to Frontierland Fries
    • Near the exit to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Adventureland
    • To the left of Pirates of the Caribbean queue
    • Between Bwana Bob's and Swiss Family Treehouse (opposite the Aloha Isle)
  • Ticket and Transportation Center
    • Former tour guide garden on west-end of mall near the Ferryboat area
Epcot:
  • Main Entrance
    • Outside the turnstiles by the restrooms on the right
    • Inside the turnstiles by the large planters on the right of Leave a Legacy.
  • Spaceship Earth
    • Outside the restrooms next to Gateway Gifts
  • Innoventions Plaza
    • Right side of MouseGear Entrance
  • Future World West
    • Alcove area in front of Coral Reef entrance
    • Alcove area, near the pond, between The Living Seas and The Land
    • Alcove area between The Land and the Journey Into Imagination pavilion
  • Future World East
    • Test Track exit area between the planter and the attraction
    • Grassy area between Wonders of Life and Mission: SPACE
    • Between Innoventions East exit and the Universe of Energy
  • Transition area between World Showcase and Future World
    • Left side of main walkway to World Showcase
  • World Showcase Plaza
    • Behind the large planters across from both Friendship docks
  • China
    • The patio area to the right of the Temple of Heaven (Reflections of China)
  • Germany
    • Outside and to the left of the Glas und Porzellan (Goebel) merchandise shop
  • Italy
    • The planter to the right of the Enoteca Castello (candy) merchandise shop and facing the American Adventure
  • American Adventure
    • The benches along the brick wall to the right of Heritage Manor Gifts
  • Morocco
    • The benches near the planters between Morocco and Japan
  • France
    • Benches next to the drinking fountain by the International Gateway canal
  • International Gateway
    • Benches inside the turnstiles on the right
  • United Kingdom
    • Benches in the Brittania Square
  • Canada
    • The benches between the Garden entrance and the
    • Refreshment Port on the lagoon side
Disney-MGM Studios
  • Sunset Boulevard
    • Outside the entrance to Sweet Spells
    • Behind Hollywood Scoops
    • Near the Tower of Terror exit
  • Hollywood Boulevard
    • Before entering gates to Animation Courtyard and left of the Brown Derby
  • Fantasmic!
    • At the back of the theater
  • Echo Lake
    • Alongside Echo Lake, in front of Hollywood & Vine
  • Commissary Lane
    • Behind the restrooms across from Star Tours
    • Near the Great Movie Ride exit
  • Al's Toy Barn
    • Between Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano and Al's Toy Barn
  • Indiana Jones Spectacular
    • Between the Indy entrance and Dinosaur Gertie's
  • AFI Showcase
    • Outside the entrance on Washington Square
  • Mickey Avenue
    • Area across from the Backlot Tour entrance
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park:
  • Camp Minnie-Mickey
    • Near the restrooms at the end of the pathway to Festival of the Lion King.
  • Discovery Island
    • At the end of the DinoLand bridge beside Flame Tree Barbeque
  • DinoLand U.S.A.
    • Restaurantosaurus - outside porch
    • Chester & Hester’s Dinosaur Treasures - mural courtyard
  • Africa
    • Behind Dawa Bar
  • Asia
    • Behind Drinkwallah
    • To the left of the restrooms on the Expedition Everest Bridge
  • Between Asia & Africa
    • Past Tamu Tamu resfreshments on the upper pathway
  • Rafiki's Planet Watch
    • By train station entrance
    • On benches near area gate close to Affection Section
Disney Cruise Line Ships
  • Staterooms are non-smoking
  • Guest smoking is permitted in the following designated locations on Disney Cruise Line ships:
    • Rockin' Bar D and Wavebands-- Non-Smoking
    • Diversions - Non-Smoking before 9:00pm and for family events
    • Sessions and Cadillac Lounge-- smoking permitted at the bar and in the back third of the club
    • Public outdoor decks-- smoking permitted (ashtrays available) except around Mickey's Pool
    • Private verandahs-- smoking permitted (ashtrays available)
Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
  • Getaway Glenn- Just behind the Happy Landings Ice cream shop at the picnic area.
  • Let's Go Slurpin'- Outside the full service bar located on the main beach.
  • Out of the way Cay- Near beach area on the right side of the park entrance.
Blizzard Beach Water Park
  • Across fromLottawatta Lodge
  • Off the corner of Avalunch and at the sandy area across from the restrooms
  • Two areas near thePolar Pub
Disney's Wide World of Sports
  • "fourth corner of the square" formed by the All Star Cafe, the Fieldhouse, the Baseball stadium and the smoking permitted section
  • Sidewalk by the men's restroom between Sports field B and the Track
  • Tennis complex on the sidewalk leading to the east practice courts
  • Water fountain between the NFLX restrooms. the track and the Softball quad
  • Baseball quad restroom area
  • Ad hoc locales depending on the day's venue

http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/smokingareas.htm

eagles

i am a smoker and so is my husband. i requested a smoking room, but was given a non-smoking room. i was also told by the front desk check-in lady that it was ok to smoke inside the room. which we did not do. we did however, smoke outside the room.. we also walked out and around the hotel to get to the bus stop, so we could smoke, but we did not walk thru the pool area to do so.

we also did not find any problems with smoking areas inside the parks anywhere. they are marked out on the map, they are marked on the trash cans.

the only problem we found was the dirty looks we were given when non smokers would walk by or want to sit in the smoking areas.

i understand the clean air arguement and all, and when i am waiting in line for an attractions i would be appaled at anyone lighting up a cigs there.

there are plenty of places for smokers to smoke.

i just hope at the hotels, they are reasonable also.

wannabeBelle

I am a non smoker but both of my parents smoke pretty heavily so I can see both sides of the argument. my understanding was that Disney has eliminated smoking room s as there isnt much call for them. I thought I had read that somewhere. I do believe Disney has a right to determine the actions taken by people in it's hotel rooms. Recently I was in Disney and was staying at the Coronado Springs resort. I checked in, had requested a non smoking room ( My travel buddy for this trip has asthma and cant tolerate smoke) when I booked the room. I was given a non smooking room and the sign was on the door. We walked in and the room REEKED!!!!!! It was bad, really bad. We called and were movbed almost immediately ( Thanks to a great CM, Lee at the front desk, you ROCK!!) and the new room was fine. As this was close to 2am ( late flight in) we got ready for bed and I had noticed that my hair actually smelled from being in the first room, standing up for about 15 minutes!!!! This was before the smoking ban came into effect and I was very confused as to why people would smoke in a room specifically designated as a non smoking room? In addition it had to have been to an extreme amount as check out was 11 oclock that morning (Wednesday) and I didnt get to the room until 1:30am (Early Thursday!)
I have seen some of the maps for the resorts with the smoking areas printed on them. The resorts that are more open such as Riverside ( 12-13 as I recall) , French Quarter (8) etc seemed to have fared better as they have more areas. Closed in hotels such as the Contemporary and the Wilderness Lodge have only three areas for smoking!!! Curiously Old Key West as big and open as it is only had 5 areas!!! I dont understand that one at all. Does anyone have a reasoning as far as the breakdown?? I understand the "closed" hotels having less areas as you would have to go outside of the building to access a smoking area but why so few at OKW?? Any thoughts? Belle

Hurricane

And when must you pay this so called recovery fee? Before you leave or do they send you a bill? And what happens if it is at checkout and I say "Got no money left, spent it all on souvenirs? Will I be locked up inside the jail cell within POTC?

It would work exactly as if you were to break something / steal the towels or robe. When the smoking is discovered the front desk would likely contact you about the additional fee, give you a chance to pay it before it was sent to collections and then, if necessary, to litigation. The ensuing civil lawsuit would stem from a breach of contract action (that the guest signed upon check-in).

mrerk

Premium Member
Curiously Old Key West as big and open as it is only had 5 areas!!! I dont understand that one at all. Does anyone have a reasoning as far as the breakdown?? I understand the "closed" hotels having less areas as you would have to go outside of the building to access a smoking area but why so few at OKW?? Any thoughts? Belle

Actually the 5 designated areas at OKW are all public areas, the 4 pools and the Turtle Krawl. However, the map also states smoking is allowed at the front of each guest room building.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/OKWMap.pdf

wdw info has PDF's of all the new resort maps with the designated smoking areas. It is basically 1 location per building. The Contemporary has 1 front and 1 rear in the Tower and 1 in front of the South Wing. WL has 1 in the front and 1 in the rear near the Trout Pass pool bar and 1 at the Villas.

lcsrig

wdwinfo.com has several updated maps of the resorts. CBR has many places, like outside every building, as designated smoking places. is this going to push those people who can't smoke in their rooms into what used to be non-smoking areas??

erasure fan1

I asked for a smoking room when I booked my trip 6 months ago (or so). If I get to the resort and the only place this no smoking warning is on is the little registration card and a small sign in the room, then who is going to take me to jail if I say "I didnt know, I requested a smoking room and there for assumed it was one"?

My mother and father inlaws both smoke and they have been contacted about 3 or 4 times so far about the non smoking rooms. They booked a couple months ago and are going in Aug. It looks like Disney is making sure people know about this well in advance of the trips.

eagles

wow, there are only 3 areas at the all star sports, for all those buildings.

one is infront of the laundry/pool/food court area. this one doesn't even make sense to me, and like i said before, i am a smoker, this ashtray/trashcan was there when we were there in april/may and i did not even use it then because it was like right there and all the non smokers would pretty much have to pass it.

i think if we ever stay there again i would try to get a room closer to the parking lot and just smoke there.

backinaction

just stayed at the allstar for three nights. I was able to smoke in the rooms with no problem. They didn't fine me 500 dollars. They didn't do anything at all. Disney looks to aviod confrontations at all costs. Theres no way that they would ever enforce this.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
just stayed at the allstar for three nights. I was able to smoke in the rooms with no problem. They didn't fine me 500 dollars. They didn't do anything at all. Disney looks to aviod confrontations at all costs. Theres no way that they would ever enforce this.

I wouldn't count on that!

It's just a matter of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom