New Maps for All Stars with smoking sections!

DisneyLeo18

I didnt even think of needing a credit card when i stayed in all-star music june 2006. my mom had booked our trip and me and my friends went down. had we needed her card we would have been in trouble. However if you want to use your room key as a credit card you will need one = )

lilclerk

Thats interesting that Disney doesnt need a credit card at check in. I have never stayed at a hotel that didnt need one, even with the room being paid for in advance by me or someone else. We go to a water park in WI and my mom pays for the trip every year and they wont let us check in with out giving them a card first. And they needed our card when my mother inlaw paid for our honeymoon at disney. Of course we didnt question that so I dont know what would have happened if we said no.

When we checked into ASMovies in February, they asked if we wanted to put a credit card on the room so we could have room charge privilages. I said no, they moved on. It wasn't required.
But every other hotel I've stayed at HAS required one for any damages to the room or room service charges.

MaXXimus

Im thinking that maybe the idea is that if they take your credit card and hold a certain amount then maybe that would make you spend a little less. That would have been my case if they required a card.

krueg66

well, i've been reading the posts and man, some of you really hate us evil smokers, huh? My wife and I smoke and find that the smoking areas are fine. We smoke outside the rooms at the resorts, or on the balconies. It does seem a little unfair that we have to actually go to a designated area in the resorts, as opposed to the balcony or outside the room. I understand that many of you hate smoke/smokers but hey, this is America and it is legal. As long as we are being respectful and sticking to our quarantine zones, what's the problem? Obviously there are people that ignore the rules and they should be beaten, but don't walk through the smoking areas and give looks and make comments to people that actually follow the rules. We are staying at Saratoga Springs next weekend and we will follow the rules, we will go to the quarantine zones for our fix.

p.s. if we are sitting at the pool bar smoking, remember, it's a bar!!! Enough with the looks. Should your kids really be sitting at a bar??? :fork:

Kman101

I don't see why folks can't jsut smoke on their balconies but whatever ... lol. I don't smoke and yeah I'm not fond of it but as long as it's done quietly I don't see an issue.

But regardless ... I stayed at All Star Movies and had paid for it but they still asked for a card on file. I do like how they "check you out" and leave the bill on your door. Saved us the trek of hiking to the counter to check out and go through all of that.

shoppingnut

I don't see why folks can't jsut smoke on their balconies but whatever ... lol. I don't smoke and yeah I'm not fond of it but as long as it's done quietly I don't see an issue.

Because if my balcony is next to your balcony and you're smoking, I can't sit out there and enjoy myself without smelling it and breathing it in. And, when you pay for a hotel room, the balcony is not a free amenity, it is something that you pay for as it is apart of the hotel rate for the room.

wannabeBelle

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be done DURING a hotel stay and afterwards as well.
Hey there Kreug, Sorry to give you that impression. As I stated I Am a non smoker but both my parents do smoke so I dont think I hate smokers, however SOME smokers are incredibly thoughtless and not considerate at all. I was in the parks a few weeks back and I saw a few people smoking in non smoking areas. I checked into a non smoking room in a hotel and it reeked of cigarette smoke. I appreciate your attitude regarding smoking in areas where you can. If people have a problem with you smoking in the designated areas, that is THEIR problem and not yours. Belle

krueg66

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be done DURING a hotel stay and afterwards as well.
Hey there Kreug, Sorry to give you that impression. As I stated I Am a non smoker but both my parents do smoke so I dont think I hate smokers, however SOME smokers are incredibly thoughtless and not considerate at all. I was in the parks a few weeks back and I saw a few people smoking in non smoking areas. I checked into a non smoking room in a hotel and it reeked of cigarette smoke. I appreciate your attitude regarding smoking in areas where you can. If people have a problem with you smoking in the designated areas, that is THEIR problem and not yours. Belle

Well said, there are idiots on all sides of the fence!!

krueg66

Because if my balcony is next to your balcony and you're smoking, I can't sit out there and enjoy myself without smelling it and breathing it in. And, when you pay for a hotel room, the balcony is not a free amenity, it is something that you pay for as it is apart of the hotel rate for the room.

Maybe we're just considerate or never in our room the same times as others, but I have never sat on the porch and smoked with people on the balcony's around us. We always check, especially if we hear kids...

Second hand smoke is one thing, but just smelling cigarettes from a distance is quite another. One MAY be a health risk, (still not a scientific proven fact as some would have you believe, not to say having smoke blown in your face all day wouldn't be bad for you) the other is just a nuisance. Kinda like screaming, annoying kids running wild all over the place...

PaulaB

You don't need to know what the punishment for a crime is in order to commit it.

For example, are there signs on stop signs saying "Running this stop sign will be a $100 fine" ?

The only thing I don't know is if this is actually a LAW that you can't smoke except in the smoking areas.

I couldn't care less where the smoking areas are. Why information to people that don't need it. If smokers need the new maps, they get them. Everyone else doesn't, because they don't need to know where they are.

What about people, such as asmatics who might want to avoid the dsas? They need the information as well.

wannabeBelle

I think what Champion was trying to say was that anyone who wants the information can certainly get it, but the average non smoker, who doesnt have any need for the informaiton wont have a problem with the older maps. That was certainly the case for me when the parks when non smoking. Ihad been a few times that year and as I was a non smoker, I never even knew about the smoking in designated spots until I was there with a friend or three that did smoke and who lit up in the park. A CM approached us and advised us as to where they could smoke and we moved over to there without a problem.

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
well, i've been reading the posts and man, some of you really hate us evil smokers, huh? My wife and I smoke and find that the smoking areas are fine. We smoke outside the rooms at the resorts, or on the balconies. It does seem a little unfair that we have to actually go to a designated area in the resorts, as opposed to the balcony or outside the room. I understand that many of you hate smoke/smokers but hey, this is America and it is legal. As long as we are being respectful and sticking to our quarantine zones, what's the problem? Obviously there are people that ignore the rules and they should be beaten, but don't walk through the smoking areas and give looks and make comments to people that actually follow the rules. We are staying at Saratoga Springs next weekend and we will follow the rules, we will go to the quarantine zones for our fix.

p.s. if we are sitting at the pool bar smoking, remember, it's a bar!!! Enough with the looks. Should your kids really be sitting at a bar??? :fork:

Quarantine zone... lol great name for the smoking sections. Also, I agree with everything else that you said. I never light up unless I'm in a designated smoking area, and I hate it when non-smokers sit in the smoking area and give you nasty looks and make nasty comments.

Also, I can't understand why parents would bring their kids to a bar at Disney. Would you bring your kids to the neighborhood bar? I can't even understand why parents sit with their kids at the bar - or even in the bar area - at places like Applebees. Bar areas are much noisier than the other areas, as well as full of drunk people (or people rowdily on their way to becoming drunk). Especially at bars or bar areas where smoking is allowed, I would never bring my kid there. Remember, kids faces are at the same height as your hand hanging by your side holding a cigarette. Which is why I try not to smoke in areas filled with kids, and why I hold my cigarette up or cup it in my hand while smoking at Downtown Disney.

krueg66

Quarantine zone... lol great name for the smoking sections. Also, I agree with everything else that you said. I never light up unless I'm in a designated smoking area, and I hate it when non-smokers sit in the smoking area and give you nasty looks and make nasty comments.

Also, I can't understand why parents would bring their kids to a bar at Disney. Would you bring your kids to the neighborhood bar? I can't even understand why parents sit with their kids at the bar - or even in the bar area - at places like Applebees. Bar areas are much noisier than the other areas, as well as full of drunk people (or people rowdily on their way to becoming drunk). Especially at bars or bar areas where smoking is allowed, I would never bring my kid there. Remember, kids faces are at the same height as your hand hanging by your side holding a cigarette. Which is why I try not to smoke in areas filled with kids, and why I hold my cigarette up or cup it in my hand while smoking at Downtown Disney.

It never ceases to amaze me and it always happens...we'll be sitting at the pool bar at a resort, watching a game, having some adult beverages, chatting up the bartenders and some parent will come up with their spawn and sit down. Then just stare at us like we are murderers or something! It's really fun when they sometimes ask us to put them out and I get to remind them that they are sitting at a bar, not Toontown or the kiddie pool. I live for those moments...:cool:

UncleJeet

The problem with the more vocal of non-smokers is that most of their arguments just don't hold up. Someone earlier said something about having to breathe in smoke is one thing, but smelling it is an entirely different matter. The reply was typical, in that the smell is nasty and why should a non-smoker have to endure the smell from a distant smoker? That sounds good at first, but there's a problem there. You're trying to dictate the behavior of others that you find annoying or unsatisfactory. Again, that may sound good on the surface, but here's the problem...

As someone else mentioned, he finds screaming, whining children annoying. Why should a childless person have to endure your rugrat screaming and crying at the dinner table? Why do we all have to deal with that noise pollution?

Going back to smells, should Disney also put a mandatory showering and deodorant use policy into effect? Standing near someone who has strong body odor is offensive. Why should I have to endure their stench, simply because they choose not to wear a more effective deodorant, or one that I find pleasing?

People on cell phones annoy me. They usually talk several orders of magnitude louder than they normally would, and I don't care what you're having for dinner or where your kid has wandered off to. Why should everyone else have to put up with your stupid ringtones that are both annoying and potentially offensive!

Do you see the point? People, by and large, will follow the rules - if the rules are reasonable. Give smokers places to smoke, and the vast majority of them will go and smoke there. Make the places out of the way enough so that people won't have to breathe in the "health-risk" second hand smoke (yet they have no problem standing around, breathing in MUCH more noxious bus fumes for hours over their stay...). By removing all smoking rooms, and smoking on balconies, all Disney is doing is encouraging people to break the rules. The fine will be a deterrent to some, but most people will buy air freshener and think they will get away with it...and most will. It's fairly easy to negate the lingering smell of cigarettes with the proper air sanitizer. People who go into a hotel room and smell the smoke are victims of a poor housekeeping staff more than they are of the smoker, but I digress.

All I wanted to comment on was the arrogance of the assumption that Group A should be able to dictate the behavior of Group B, simply because they do not like it. If I had a nickle for everytime some soccer mom almost ran over me (or knicked my heel) with a stroller, I'd buy Bill Gates and sell him to China. Still, I don't propose a stroller ban, or a fee for everytime one collides with me. Then again, I'm reasonable. I expect that if I follow the rules, then other people will to. Sometimes my idealism gets in the way, I guess, and I forget about people who'd rather change the rules than follow them.

krueg66

The problem with the more vocal of non-smokers is that most of their arguments just don't hold up. Someone earlier said something about having to breathe in smoke is one thing, but smelling it is an entirely different matter. The reply was typical, in that the smell is nasty and why should a non-smoker have to endure the smell from a distant smoker? That sounds good at first, but there's a problem there. You're trying to dictate the behavior of others that you find annoying or unsatisfactory. Again, that may sound good on the surface, but here's the problem...

As someone else mentioned, he finds screaming, whining children annoying. Why should a childless person have to endure your rugrat screaming and crying at the dinner table? Why do we all have to deal with that noise pollution?

Going back to smells, should Disney also put a mandatory showering and deodorant use policy into effect? Standing near someone who has strong body odor is offensive. Why should I have to endure their stench, simply because they choose not to wear a more effective deodorant, or one that I find pleasing?

People on cell phones annoy me. They usually talk several orders of magnitude louder than they normally would, and I don't care what you're having for dinner or where your kid has wandered off to. Why should everyone else have to put up with your stupid ringtones that are both annoying and potentially offensive!

Do you see the point? People, by and large, will follow the rules - if the rules are reasonable. Give smokers places to smoke, and the vast majority of them will go and smoke there. Make the places out of the way enough so that people won't have to breathe in the "health-risk" second hand smoke (yet they have no problem standing around, breathing in MUCH more noxious bus fumes for hours over their stay...). By removing all smoking rooms, and smoking on balconies, all Disney is doing is encouraging people to break the rules. The fine will be a deterrent to some, but most people will buy air freshener and think they will get away with it...and most will. It's fairly easy to negate the lingering smell of cigarettes with the proper air sanitizer. People who go into a hotel room and smell the smoke are victims of a poor housekeeping staff more than they are of the smoker, but I digress.

All I wanted to comment on was the arrogance of the assumption that Group A should be able to dictate the behavior of Group B, simply because they do not like it. If I had a nickle for everytime some soccer mom almost ran over me (or knicked my heel) with a stroller, I'd buy Bill Gates and sell him to China. Still, I don't propose a stroller ban, or a fee for everytime one collides with me. Then again, I'm reasonable. I expect that if I follow the rules, then other people will to. Sometimes my idealism gets in the way, I guess, and I forget about people who'd rather change the rules than follow them.

Great post!!! You nailed it.

mdisney

If you plan on going to Disney World, a "Family" theme park, then deal with kids being loud. Also how is being annoyed by ringtones is a form of discrimination. Since someone allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke, and disney not caring is discrimating against them.

Also for people who do not shower sometimes it can be a cultural thing so disney can not tell people they must shower.

Another smoke does damage to the rooms as well over time, and cost disney money to fix them. So should disney make the nonsmokers pay to fix the smoking rooms?

krueg66

If you plan on going to Disney World, a "Family" theme park, then deal with kids being loud. Also how is being annoyed by ringtones is a form of discrimination. Since someone allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke, and disney not caring is discrimating against them.

Also for people who do not shower sometimes it can be a cultural thing so disney can not tell people they must shower.

Another smoke does damage to the rooms as well over time, and cost disney money to fix them. So should disney make the nonsmokers pay to fix the smoking rooms?

We do deal with the kids, so you deal with the smokers...as long as they are following the rules, which most of us do.

There is a big difference between being "allergic" to smoke and just not liking the smell. How can you be allergic to a "smell" as opposed to the actual smoke itself which would dissipate pretty quickly outdoors?

As far as not smoking in rooms, I have no problem with that, we don't do that anyways. I just wonder about not being able to smoke on the balconies as long as no one is around...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom