New Maps for All Stars with smoking sections!

jmvd20

You are wrong.

I'm wrong... doubtful...

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/tip-sheet-secondhand-smoke

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?pid=S0042-96862000000700013&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

http://www.lungoregon.org/tobacco/secondhand.html

Since 1992, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified secondhand smoke as a "Group A" carcinogen, which means there is no safe level of exposure.

And how about the fact that Health Insurance companies feel the need to consider second hand smoke dangerous... Because it costs them millions every year to treat people with second hand smoke related conditions.

You go ahead and keep kidding yourself that second hand smoke isn't dangerous...

Those of us living in the real world will continue to accept the truth...

It is obviously pointless to argue with people that cannot accept truth so I will leave this discussion at that...

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
I'm no scientist, but smokers are inhaling the smoke of burning bits of leaves treated with chemicals. That alone sounds bad for you.

My fellow smokers, have you ever been taking a drag and inhaled the crap that comes out of the other end of your cig? Or gotten the smoke up your nose? Isn't the smoke from the lit end of the cigarette much nastier in your mouth/nose than the smoke from the filtered end? The answer is yes.

In my mind, science aside, smoke from either end of the cigarette is dangerous. Of course, I would think that you'd have to directly inhale alot of second hand smoke to be affected anywhere near as much as being a smoker yourself. Which leads me to restate my opinion: if you do not like or are allergic to smoke, stay away from the quaratined smoking areas. The simple act of being able to smell second hand smoke on the air is not going to kill you. If you sit at the other end of my cigarette yelling at me, you'll inhale alot more smoke.

We all know smoking is bad for you. Duh. But it is legal in this country. It is thoughtful and courteous of Disney to provide smokers with numerous smoking sections on their property. But be sure that if Disney were to totally do away with smoking on property, alot of people would have something to say. You're at Disneyworld!!!!! If you see someone smoking outside of a smoking section, tell a CM. If the CM is reticent to do something, either continue walking (preferably away from the smoker) or demand to speak to a manager or go to another CM. Some people are ignorant to the smoking sections - enlighten them. Don't let it ruin your visit. Not all smokers are evil, nasty people hell bent on ruining your lungs. We're enjoying ruining our own lungs plenty.

jmvd20

Just for the record I am all for designated smoking areas. Non-smokers in my opinion should have no gripe over that, if you can't stand smoke that much just do not go near the areas.

Everytime smoking (or any hot topic) is brought up you have the vocal minority on each side trying to propogate die-hard opinions that are so far out of the mainstream thought process.

I still feel that the bottom line of all of this is simple for the most part...

Smokers should be allowed to smoke in designated areas only... and enjoy their vacation.

Non-smokers, need to stay away from the smoking areas... and enjoy their vacation.

Smoking or not smoking is a choice, neither group is better than the other and neither group is evil.

krueg66

I'm wrong... doubtful...

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/tip-sheet-secondhand-smoke

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?pid=S0042-96862000000700013&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

http://www.lungoregon.org/tobacco/secondhand.html

And how about the fact that Health Insurance companies feel the need to consider second hand smoke dangerous... Because it costs them millions every year to treat people with second hand smoke related conditions.

You go ahead and keep kidding yourself that second hand smoke isn't dangerous...

Those of us living in the real world will continue to accept the truth...

It is obviously pointless to argue with people that cannot accept truth so I will leave this discussion at that...

The government also classifies marijuana with heroin/cocaine/methaamphedamines as having no health benefits so forgive me if I don't consider an EPA mandate fact...

The reason health insurance companies consider second hand smoke so dangerous is because then they can charge you more money for insurance. How, may I ask, can you tell if something is a second-hand smoke condition. Are thousands of people that never smoked showing up with lung cancer? Emphysema?

Although it is fun to debate, you are right in your last post. You stay away from the quanantine zones, and I won't light up in the queues or on the balcony next to yours...(which I believe we were on the same page on in the first place)

slappy magoo

The problem is, there are extremeists on both sides. Hard-core smokers who believe it's a God-given right to smoke, wear their tar-stained teeth like a badge of honor and would triple-dog dare you to knock the cigarette out of their hand while they're blowing smoke in your baby's face. But on the flip side, there are P.C. zealots who believe anyone with a cigarette should be considered brandishing a deadly weapon and is immediately guilty of attempted murder.

And for whatever reason, it seems that quite often the more moderate people start debating the issue, but they take out their contempt for the opposite side's more extreme element on the moderate person debating them. This recent tete-a-tete (if I'm using that phrase in an ironincally correct way) is kind of indicative of that.

krueg66

The problem is, there are extremeists on both sides. Hard-core smokers who believe it's a God-given right to smoke, wear their tar-stained teeth like a badge of honor and would triple-dog dare you to knock the cigarette out of their hand while they're blowing smoke in your baby's face. But on the flip side, there are P.C. zealots who believe anyone with a cigarette should be considered brandishing a deadly weapon and is immediately guilty of attempted murder.

And for whatever reason, it seems that quite often the more moderate people start debating the issue, but they take out their contempt for the opposite side's more extreme element on the moderate person debating them. This recent tete-a-tete (if I'm using that phrase in an ironincally correct way) is kind of indicative of that.

Well said...this is growing tired so I'm going to go away now. Maybe go have a smoke???

jmvd20

Although it is fun to debate, you are right in your last post. You stay away from the quanantine zones, and I won't light up in the queues or on the balcony next to yours...(which I believe we were on the same page on in the first place)

Yes, we are in agreement on this which is what I was trying to get at in that last post. We may disagree on some details but in the big picture I think most people feel that there can be a happy medium between finding areas where people should be allowed to smoke while not disturbing those who choose not to.

In reality I think there should be dedicated smoking areas fairly frequently throughout the guest areas at WDW or any amusement park, public/private park etc...

I used to smoke and the smell of it does not bother me at all, I just think that if everyone is respectful of the rules these new smoking regulations will not be bad for anyone. Though there will always be the idots on *both* sides that try to cause trouble for everyone else.

OneLuckyMom

Now let's say, and this is much more true than many of the claims made against smokers, that people are also allergic to various colognes and perfumes. They can upset a person's medical conditions by coming into contact with the fumes they produce, which is to say that simply being near someone wearing a fragrance to which you are allergic is enough to set off your symptoms. This is a bit different from the lingering smell of cigarette smoke, which can't trigger medical symptoms but which can just be annoying to those who have to smell the person near them who recently finished a cigarette. To cause problems, one suffering a medical condition needs to be around the smoke itself, remember.

Wrong. Any strong smell - including just the smell of cigarette smoke on the clothes of the person in line ahead of you - can trigger an asthma attack in some people. Yes, the same can be said of things such as perfume or even the scent used in Soarin. But your argument that cigarette smoke is not ever harmful unless actually inhaled is a complete falacy.

krueg66

Wrong. Any strong smell - including just the smell of cigarette smoke on the clothes of the person in line ahead of you - can trigger an asthma attack in some people. Yes, the same can be said of things such as perfume or even the scent used in Soarin. But your argument that cigarette smoke is not ever harmful unless actually inhaled is a complete falacy.

Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in!!!

Then someone whose asthma is triggered by scents (come on, really?) should take precautions when going out in public, right? Perhaps a gas mask or something...

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in!!!

Then someone whose asthma is triggered by scents (come on, really?) should take precautions when going out in public, right? Perhaps a gas mask or something...

Yes, really. I'm actual an asthmatic with good control, and certain perfumes or colognes or even body lotions can send me into a full blown asthma attack. Smoke does not.

Jimmy Thick

Nothing is worse than having to deal with people smoking in the parks. I think the smoking areas should be wrapped around and placed in far corners off the beaten path away from the general public. Smoking is a proven cause of death, and why should I be forced to risk harm to my body?

The only time Disney will be perfect is when Disney is 100% smoke free.

slappy magoo

Originally Posted by slappy magoo

Nothing is worse than having to deal with people smoking in the parks. I think the smoking areas should be wrapped around and placed in far corners off the beaten path away from the general public. Smoking is a proven cause of death, and why should I be forced to risk harm to my body?

What are we up to by now? Exhibit Q? Exhibit Z? Exhibit...Pi?

I'd prefer to avoid smokers whenever possible, (and I have been SO gung ho on the resort rooms going nonsmoking), but even I know, with the exception of the extremely allergic or asthmatic, you're exposed to more carcinogens walking across a street in a major urban area than you are briskly walking in the near-vicinity of a smoking area at WDW.

When you think or act in extremes, it inspires people to react in kind. Don't hype things up to those extremes, everyone talks more rationally. If more people thought that way, life might be a tad less interesting but far more s**t would get done in a day.

krueg66

Yes, really. I'm actual an asthmatic with good control, and certain perfumes or colognes or even body lotions can send me into a full blown asthma attack. Smoke does not.

...while I sympathize with you and no offense, isn't that your problem to deal with, not the publics?

krueg66

They are off the beaten path...you know where the smoking areas are, stay away. Period. And if you see someone smoking outside the quarantine zones, do something about it. But leave those of us in the zones, following the rules alone.

OneLuckyMom

I never said they shouldn't. I simply pointed out that the argument that cigarette smoke was NEVER a health issue unless actually inhaled was a falacy.

And yes, scents are often a trigger for asthma.

WDW-LUVR

One thing I have yet to find is the reason why Disney is doing this. I am 100% against smoking, I think it is beyond gross, but why eliminate smoking rooms? I can see having rooms set aside for non-smokers (the vast majority of them, at least 75% of them), but it just makes sense to have rooms set aside for people to smoke in. Smokers won't complain if the room they get smells like smoke. Non-smokers will and should. Smokers smoking in a specified hotel room harms no one but themselves (and their unfortunate families, but I am sure they are used to it.)
It all falls under the same idea as smoking in the parks. I love the idea that smoking is allowed in only certain sections and think CMs should do a better job of enforcing the rule. But what Disney did within the past year and a half was eliminate one of the smoking sections from each land in the MK, leaving only one or two in the bigger lands.
I think that most smokers are going to obide by the rules if they are courteously enforced by CMs, but they also need to be able to find them on their own very easily. If they can't find them easily, most will just say "forget it" and smoke anywhere. There are plenty of out of the way places that won't bother anyone. If anything, they should be INCREASING, not DECREASING the number of smoking areas, and putting them in the right spots.
Very WEll Said :sohappy:

I did noticed the last visit home (WDW)there were fewer and harder to find smoking areas. And then When we did find a smoking area you had non-smokers walking thur it complaining.

My Husband and I are both smokers but we DO not smoke in our house Nor in our car. And When we come Home (WDW) I can completely understand the NON - smoking rooms, the smell just settles in everything and very hard to get out, but the balcony???? We have always request an ashtray to leave outside the door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom