Movies...movies...movies

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed. Sixth Sense totally blew me away. Genius piece of screenwriting. I consider it to be his best work. Signs....great up until the very end. "Swing away, Merrill.":rolleyes:
The Others...yeah. Very creepy. Again, I never try to figure out a twist, so when that movie unfolded....wow. Got me good.

As much as I love them, I'm beginning to see a problem with "twist" movies. As soon as they come out, much of the audience goes into the film with an "I'm gonna figure it out" mentality. That ruins it. You really have to just clear your mind, sit back and be open to whatever happens.

Disagree again. For what it was, I found PA to be quite effective. (Much like Blair Witch the first time I saw it.) Hated the theatrical ending, though.

Agreed. Fun movie, Cloverfield.

Eh...I thought it was ok. The mixture of phoney "real" footage and re-enactment....kinda fell flat with me.

Me, too. Looking forward to the next one.

Not for me. :lol: I saw it on a whim, so there was a tiny, not skeptical part of me thinking "Oh __!, this might be a bit real!." :lol: Most of it was more creepy than believable, but in the end it was fun.

Good date movie.:lookaroun

SirGoofy

Disagree again. For what it was, I found PA to be quite effective. (Much like Blair Witch the first time I saw it.) Hated the theatrical ending, though.

For me, I just felt bored. Nothing happened. There was nothing "scary" about it.:shrug:

Me, too. Looking forward to the next one.

As am I. It basically put my two favorite actors(Downey Jr and Law) together with my favorite actress(McAdams). Throw Brad Pitt in as rumored for Moriarty and you've got a home run.

Although I'd rather see someone like Jason Isaacs or Ralph Fiennes as Moriarty, personally.

imagineer boy

Although I watched it with RiffTrax this weekend, that wasn't too bad.

And then Nicolas Cage comes and screams "How'd it get burned!?!?!?!" :lol:

Cloverfield was great. Paranormal activity is fun with a large crowd of people but is boring by yourself. The 4th kind, however, is creepy as hell.

That is kind of true. I would agree that PA is not as scary as hyped up to be, but I liked the subtle Ghost Adventures-esque type scares rather than in-your-face CGI and gore.

Just watched Sherlock Holmes...wow! I really, really enjoyed it.

Agreed! I found it to be a thuroughly enjoyable movie.

Hated the ending too. Very hollywood, and kind of disrupted the realistic feel of the rest of the movie. I liked the version shown on the DVD better.

dr_teeth90210

I still have yet to see What Lies Beneath. Is it any good?

It's a good, mystery, thriller. If you like movies like "Sixth Sense", "Others","The Ring" then I would definitely rent it.

Another film I HIGHLY recommend is "The Orphanage". This "supernatural" movie has an emotional impact that hit me like a freight train. It's an emotional roller coaster.

Jasonflz

I saw Paranormal Activity in the theater, and was bored 15 minutes in. So a girl friend of mine and I started an impromptu MST3K in the theater.*

*We were near no other people, and made sure we weren't bothering anyone.

The people behind me and my friends did the same thing, and I have to admit, that was the rare occurence that I was happy to have someone talking in the theater. :)

Just watched Sherlock Holmes...wow! I really, really enjoyed it.

Totally agreed. How did you feel about the end. (the way everything is explained)

Agreed. Sixth Sense totally blew me away. Genius piece of screenwriting. I consider it to be his best work. Signs....great up until the very end. "Swing away, Merrill.":rolleyes:
The Others...yeah. Very creepy. Again, I never try to figure out a twist, so when that movie unfolded....wow. Got me good.

Eh...I thought it was ok. The mixture of phoney "real" footage and re-enactment....kinda fell flat with me.

True. The worst thrillers are the ones that have a predictable ending.

Also, the mixture of footage was one of my personal favorite things about Fourth Kind. If they utilized it a bit better, though, the movie could have been more effective.

That is kind of true. I would agree that PA is not as scary as hyped up to be, but I liked the subtle Ghost Adventures-esque type scares rather than in-your-face CGI and gore.

Hated the ending too. Very hollywood, and kind of disrupted the realistic feel of the rest of the movie. I liked the version shown on the DVD better.

Agreed. I do disagree, however, on the ending. Seeing it on the DVD release, I was highly disappointed with the way it ended. The film itself wasn't as interesting to begin with, and the jump scare helped people leave the theater uneasily. The DVD ending feels too much like the rest of the film.

It's a good, mystery, thriller. If you like movies like "Sixth Sense", "Others","The Ring" then I would definitely rent it.

Another film I HIGHLY recommend is "The Orphanage". This "supernatural" movie has an emotional impact that hit me like a freight train. It's an emotional roller coaster.

I've heard interesting things about The Orphanage. I really loved Pan's Labyrinth so I might check it out.

EpcotServo

DVD Notice!

Ponyo (on the cliff by the sea) is now on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Blu-ray/DVD combo pack! Along with three other immortal Ghibli classics, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Any Film fan would be remiss if they didn't own these, as some of the best Animated Films of all time.

In live action, look for Up in the Air on DVD March 9th, one of my top picks from 2009.

Now off to see a Midnight showing of Alice in Wonderland!

Jasonflz

Perfect, and just like the way it's done in the Holmes books. Liketo a tee.

Another that worked well (a tad bit different than the books) was his ability to fight and use logic during a fight scene. It worked perfectly, along with Guy Ritchie's gritty cinematography.

EpcotServo

Alice in Wonderland is GREAT. Go see it! Was WAY better than I thought it'd be. All around perfect film.

But I am supremely in rage because they didn't show the Tron trailer in my theater and they'll ONLY show it in 3-D. And it won't premiere online until next week.

RAGEEEEEEEEEEE

imagineer boy

I very much enjoyed Alice too! The visuals were amazing and I thought all the characters were really well done.

However, what was up with the Hatter's weird flash dance at the end? That was way bizaare and out of place.

Other than that, I still enjoyed it!

EpcotServo

I very much enjoyed Alice too! The visuals were amazing and I thought all the characters were really well done.

However, what was up with the Hatter's weird flash dance at the end? That was way bizaare and out of place.

Other than that, I still enjoyed it!

The thing with that was that they kept mentioning how bizarre it is, so naturally they had to make it bizarre. Kind of tricky with that kind of a gag, you want it to be weird, but might have been too weird.

peterpanic74

DVD Notice!

Ponyo (on the cliff by the sea) is now on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Blu-ray/DVD combo pack! Along with three other immortal Ghibli classics, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Ponyo is indeed available in Blu-Ray formant, but Totoro, Laputa, and Kiki's are DVD only, despite the Blu-Ray-like packaging. Major bummer. :mad:

SeaBreeze

Original Poster
Finally catching up with the times! Recently saw Avatar, The Blind Side, The Proposal and (500) Days of Summer (I had a medical procedure that knocked me out for awhile, can you tell :lol: ) I had heard/read so much about all of them that they were pretty much what I was expecting.

Number_6

Finally catching up with the times! Recently saw Avatar, The Blind Side, The Proposal and (500) Days of Summer (I had a medical procedure that knocked me out for awhile, can you tell :lol: ) I had heard/read so much about all of them that they were pretty much what I was expecting.

Avatar, or as my wife called it after seeing it "Dances With Aliens in the Mist."

SeaBreeze

Original Poster
Haha my favorite description of it was my friend who said it was Dances With Wolves Meets The Matrix at the Tree of Life. Pretty accurate I'd say :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom