Movies...movies...movies

SirGoofy

That's because you were looking for it. And there are really two major twists in that movie.

The film holds up incredibly well on repeat viewings to me as well, so it in no way is a film that is completely dependent on its twists.

I guess it's how you look at it, but personally, I've found all his movies/scripts laughable, but that's me.

imagineer boy

:lol:

Let's just say, don't even compare the movie and the book. (they are very different)

I've been reading the book recently, and the middle section is indeed very different, as is the character of Grover (the Satyre guy).

Yeah, I'll probably see it just because I dig Shyamalan.
I care nothing at all about the cartoon aspect. If anything that is what is keeping me a bit less than excited about his new film.

I'm thinking it looks good so far, and I dig Shymalan's movies (namely Signs, the Sixth Sense, The Village) too. I hope its a success because its been sad to see his last few movies fail.

Saw Shutter Island last weekend. Good flick. Not at all what you think it will be.

I definately enjoyed it. Loved the mood and atmosphere and the acting. What I liked most is that Scorcese pretty *spoilers* much tells you up front that Leo's character is crazy, but you spend the movie trying to figure out in what way he's crazy. I found the aspect really interesting.

Just back from seeing The Crazies. Really enjoyed it. Only thing that wasn't top class was the ending. It was also really similar to the Dawn of the Dead remake. Olyphant is definately getting better.

Lee

Adventurer
I really, really disliked Shutter Island. It felt like one of Shyamalan's bad movies to me.:lol:
Surprising opinion. I really liked it.:shrug:

As for M. Night Shamalamalaman, Lady in the Water still stands as his BEST film. Which he sadly let down by following it with the downright horrid The Happening.
Yeah, I liked Lady in the Water. There's a geat book about MNS and the development/making of that film called "The Man Who Heard Voices". Really good read.
The Happening....yeah....really no good excuse for that. I read that script years ago when it was still called "The Green Effect." When I got to the part about what was really going on, I just dropped the script. "Trees? Plant? Seriously?!?!?!":brick:
I thought that movie was by far one of his worst. I saw the "twist" coming about 10 minutes into the movie.:lol:
I didn't. I never look for a twist, I just sit back and take the ride. That one totally got me.

I definately enjoyed it. Loved the mood and atmosphere and the acting. What I liked most is that Scorcese pretty *spoilers* much tells you up front that Leo's character is crazy, but you spend the movie trying to figure out in what way he's crazy. I found the aspect really interesting.
Yeah. The atmosphere was fantastic. I loved how the film had me constantly trying to figure out what the f%$# was going on...but in a good way.
Next up this week: The Crazies.

SeaBreeze

Original Poster
aw, glad to see this thread has been thriving in my absence :) Quite depressed over how many movies I haven't seen...it's rather embarrassing really! As always, I appreciate the discussions on here since it helps me figure out what movie to see when I finally plunk money down :lol:

I was told by friends not to see Shutter Island since they all have not-so-fond memories of me figuring out Shyamalan twists just from trailers. Apparently I did that with Shutter Island too but I'll rent it eventually just because I'm curious as to how they executed it :)

LoriMistress

I saw Shutter Island during the weekend. Overall, it was at best: alright. The movie was too long, and it was very predictable. The "twist" was trying to be The Sixth Sense, but extremely obvious.

Jasonflz

Shamalyn has his good days and bad days, I suppose.

For me, Sixth Sense and Signs are my favorites of his.

BTW: Does anyone remember The Others, with Nicole Kidman?
For me, that movie beats The Sixth Sense and Paranormal Activity combined. (scariest ghost movie with a great twist)

Jasonflz

I remember watching The Others way back when it was first released on video/DVD, and I didn't find it scary at all. :shrug:

What Lies Beneath, though... I don't know why, but that was more intense. :dazzle:

:dazzle: Ghosts freak me out, and the Others didn't really help.

I still have yet to see What Lies Beneath. Is it any good?

SirGoofy

For me, that movie beats The Sixth Sense and Paranormal Activity combined. (scariest ghost movie with a great twist)

Any movie beats Paranormal Activity, IMO. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen

imagineer boy

Funny how movies like the Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, and Paranormal Activity seem to have exact polar opposites in opinion on them. I think its probably the backlash from the over-hyped marketing.

SirGoofy

Funny how movies like the Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, and Paranormal Activity seem to have exact polar opposites in opinion on them. I think its probably the backlash from the over-hyped marketing.

And see I loved Cloverfield. Monster movies were a phase for me growing up, and Cloverfield seemed so fresh for the genre.

I would have liked Paranormal Activity if something, anything, happened in the entire movie. It was so boring.:lol:

Although I watched it with RiffTrax this weekend, that wasn't too bad.

Jasonflz

And see I loved Cloverfield. Monster movies were a phase for me growing up, and Cloverfield seemed so fresh for the genre.

I would have liked Paranormal Activity if something, anything, happened in the entire movie. It was so boring.:lol:

Although I watched it with RiffTrax this weekend, that wasn't too bad.

Cloverfield was great. Paranormal activity is fun with a large crowd of people but is boring by yourself. The 4th kind, however, is creepy as hell.

SirGoofy

Cloverfield was great. Paranormal activity is fun with a large crowd of people but is boring by yourself. The 4th kind, however, is creepy as hell.

I saw Paranormal Activity in the theater, and was bored 15 minutes in. So a girl friend of mine and I started an impromptu MST3K in the theater.*

*We were near no other people, and made sure we weren't bothering anyone.

Lee

Adventurer
For me, Sixth Sense and Signs are my favorites of his.
Agreed. Sixth Sense totally blew me away. Genius piece of screenwriting. I consider it to be his best work. Signs....great up until the very end. "Swing away, Merrill.":rolleyes:
The Others...yeah. Very creepy. Again, I never try to figure out a twist, so when that movie unfolded....wow. Got me good.

As much as I love them, I'm beginning to see a problem with "twist" movies. As soon as they come out, much of the audience goes into the film with an "I'm gonna figure it out" mentality. That ruins it. You really have to just clear your mind, sit back and be open to whatever happens.

Any movie beats Paranormal Activity, IMO. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen
Disagree again. For what it was, I found PA to be quite effective. (Much like Blair Witch the first time I saw it.) Hated the theatrical ending, though.

And see I loved Cloverfield.
Agreed. Fun movie, Cloverfield.

The 4th kind, however, is creepy as hell.
Eh...I thought it was ok. The mixture of phoney "real" footage and re-enactment....kinda fell flat with me.

Just watched Sherlock Holmes...wow! I really, really enjoyed it.
Me, too. Looking forward to the next one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom