Movies...movies...movies

EpcotServo

Again.

Observe & Report.

It's like a really good song, it'll only speak to those who are ready to listen. Alot will see. Only a few will be cheering.

Also, check out Jody Hill's first film, The Foot Fist Way. Like Observe & Report, neither are the most laugh-out-loud-comedies, but are all around great movies that really resonate with anyone living in their own world, like myself.

This is a really great review, that sums up my feelings on his works:

(Warning: Language)

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/10...and-report-a-contender-for-best-film-of-2009/

dxwwf3

It's like a really good song, it'll only speak to those who are ready to listen. Alot will see. Only a few will be cheering.

I was willing to listen, but it had nothing to say except unnecessary and unfunny expletives :lol: And I highly doubt a lot will see the film. This is most definitely not a movie for the masses. There are plenty of films that I like that pretty much everyone else hates though, so it's no big deal :wave:

SirGoofy

While I enjoyed Rogen in the beginning, I've grown really tired of him lately. If it wasn't for James Franco, PE would have been terrible. And PE was easily overshadowed by Tropic Thunder.

EpcotServo

I was willing to listen, but it had nothing to say except unnecessary and unfunny expletives :lol: And I highly doubt a lot will see the film. This is most definitely not a movie for the masses. There are plenty of films that I like that pretty much everyone else hates though, so it's no big deal :wave:

While I enjoyed Rogen in the beginning, I've grown really tired of him lately. If it wasn't for James Franco, PE would have been terrible. And PE was easily overshadowed by Tropic Thunder.

I agree. But even as great as the first 30 minutes of Tropic Thunder are, I think it was easily overshadowed by Step Brothers.

Boy, comedy films are tricky, eh?

I actually love Pineapple Express more than Tropic Thunder (And I do LOVE Tropic Thunder) thought Step Brothers was OK, but my Best Friend couldn't even finish it.

All I can argue is that we should put aside favorites and say each one is awesome in it's own right.
:lol:

It is a great time for Comedies. With so many bland action films, I love seeing Topical Comedies, Action Comedies, Big Budget Comedies, and Dark Comedies all being perfected with well-made Movies.

SirGoofy

See, I hated Step Brothers. Will Ferrel and Seth Rogen have gone down the same path in my mind. The market has been over saturated with both, and both play the same exact character in each movie.

Ferrel=Dumb, full of himself

Rogen=Fat, druggie, loser

I'm not saying that's how they are in real life, but those are their charcters in pretty much all their movies.

Jasonflz

See, I hated Step Brothers. Will Ferrel and Seth Rogen have gone down the same path in my mind. The market has been over saturated with both, and both play the same exact character in each movie.

I'm not saying that's how they are in real life, but those are their charcters in pretty much all their movies.

Exactly. It gets boring and repetitive after at least three movies.

dr_teeth90210

I saw "I Love You, Man" last night. It was an extremely funny twist on the romantic comedy genre.

If your not a fan of Apatow-esque films(ex. Knocked Up, Role Models,etc.) then you might want to stay away.

Number_6

A decent Ferrel movie that doesn't have him playing someone dumb or full of himself is "Stranger Than Fiction." I actually found that one to be really enjoyable.

As for Seth Rogen, I'm wondering how his version of Green Hornet is going to turn out. The plus side is that he got Stephen Chou from "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Shaolin Soccer" to play Kato. The minus side is it's Seth Rogen playing Britt Reid/Green Hornet.

SirGoofy

As for Seth Rogen, I'm wondering how his version of Green Hornet is going to turn out. The plus side is that he got Stephen Chou from "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Shaolin Soccer" to play Kato. The minus side is it's Seth Rogen playing Britt Reid/Green Hornet.

I'm pretty sure Chou stepped out of the picture a couple months ago.:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Just stumbled in here and read the last few posts, so I'll toss a couple thoughts.
- Green Hornet. Has potential, though Rogan will need to bring his A game. He has dropped a lot of weight, and seems to be taking it seriously. SC is not signed on for Cato. He wants it, Rogan wants him...studio's still pondering.

- Observe and Report. Funny. I'm starting to like the Jody Hill brand of comedy after Foot Fist Way and, especially, Eastbound and Down. O and R is not for everybody, but I was entertained. Ronnie Barnhart is no Kenny Powers, though.

- Pineapple Express and Superbad....eh. They were just ok for me. I was actually kinda disappointed in both. Not as horribly let down as I was by the horrendous Napoleon Dynamite, but a bit flat none the less.

- Tropic Thunder I liked.

- Adventureland I liked, felt like a film from my teen years...likely because it was set during my teen years.

Good thread. I haven't been in here since I stopped in to comment on Kristen Stewart's love for the hippie lettuce. I shall return.:wave:

DisneyFreak1228

Uh-oh. I accidentally came across this thread, and I'm a movie junkie. This is going to be a bit long.

First and foremost:
-Kristen Stewart sucks at life. Whoever thought she could act was on some serious stuff themselves. Worst. Actress. Ever. Wallpaper paste is more entertaining to watch than she is.

But I digress. Let's get to the movies.
-Green Hornet: Should be interesting. I used to watch the old TV show with Bruce Lee when I was little. Seth Rogen seems really serious about the role, having dropped all that weight and whatnot, so I think he'll give his all into portraying Britt Reid to the best of his ability. If not, he knows the fanboys (and girls) will rip him apart.

-HP & HPB: IT'S COMING OUT TWO DAYS EARLIER! Although, two essential parts of the book, the Battle of Astronomy Tower and Dumbledore's funeral, were both removed from the movie. I'm rather intrigued to see how big of an impact the absence of these two events will have on the cinematic version of the series.

-Star Trek: I was born and raised a Trekkie (I know, I know, one of Seth Rogen's characters in "Fanboys" said Trekkie is a derogatory term, and the correct terminology is Trekker, but meh) so I'm really anxious to see this prequel. And Zachary Quinto, Sylar from Heroes, is in it. Can't go wrong with that.

-X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Yeah, so I watched the unfinished, leaked version. What fangirl wouldn't? I'm still interested to see the final cut. Besides, I've been waiting for this movie since the first X-Men movie was announced :lol:

-Angels & Demons: I'm obsessed with the book. I love it. I love Robert Langdon. The story is completely original, even though there's some fact thrown in. It's incredible. I am, however, not pleased with the fact that the film adaptation is a sequel to The DaVinci Code, rather than a prequel as the book is. Nor am I pleased with the fact that they changed Camerlengo Carlos Ventresca's name to Patrick McKenna. I'm just nitpicky like that sometimes.

-Terminator Salvation: Because c'mon, who hasn't been wanting to see a grown up John Connor? And it's Christian Bale, it's going to be a great movie.

-Up: I know nothing about this film, aside from the fact that it's much anticipated and has received (from what I've seen, anyways) rave reviews.

-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Based on what I've read concerning plot points...I don't think I'm going to enjoy this one as much as the first one. But I'm still going to see it. Two words: Optimus Prime.

-Ice Age 3: Really? Was a 3rd one really necessary?

-Public Enemies: Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in the same movie. I saw the trailer for this and it looks absolutely incredible.

-GI Joe:Rise of Cobra: GI Joe was a big part of my childhood, my dad was (and still is) obsessed with them. I'm interested to see what this movie is all about, even though the director also did Van Helsing, and the set pictures I've seen look pretty ridiculous.

...now, as far as movies that have been recent topics:
-Pineapple Express: It had its moments, I'll give it that. However, I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

-Observe & Report: Meh, it's the typical Seth Rogen movie, with Anna Farris in her typical dumb blonde role. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

-Tropic Thunder: Hysterical.

-Step Brothers: I'm sick of Will Ferrell. Aside from Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Stranger Than Fiction, his movies all suck. He's apparently starring in a film version of Land of the Lost. No intention to see that whatsoever.

I have yet to see Adventureland yet, a bit intrigued to because I'd like to see how Hollywood portrays attractions employees. But I can't get past the fact that Kristen Stewart's in it. It's bad enough I have to suffer through her bad acting as Bella Swan in the Twilight Saga.

...okay. I'm done.
For now, at least. :wave:

dxwwf3

I saw Foot Fist Way last night and I enjoyed it. I think it's a much, much funnier film than Observe and Report. I didn't think it was hysterical or a great movie, but I enjoyed it.

Number_6

Just stumbled in here and read the last few posts, so I'll toss a couple thoughts.
- Green Hornet. Has potential, though Rogan will need to bring his A game. He has dropped a lot of weight, and seems to be taking it seriously. SC is not signed on for Cato. He wants it, Rogan wants him...studio's still pondering.

They announced him as Kato back in September. He was also supposed to direct, but as previously mentioned, stepped out of the director's role a couple of months later. He's still listed everywhere I've seen as playing Kato.

Lee

Adventurer
They announced him as Kato back in September. He was also supposed to direct, but as previously mentioned, stepped out of the director's role a couple of months later. He's still listed everywhere I've seen as playing Kato.
I was basing my statement on some quotes by Rogan in an interview a couple weeks ago:
On Chow as Kato:
"Yeah. There’s a very real possibility that he will end up being Kato and there’s a slight possibility it won’t work out, but honestly we just aren’t 100% sure right now, because he does his thing… He’s the king of the world in Hong Kong, he doesn’t need us! (laughs)"
and
"Yeah, exactly. But him and Michel have met each other and talked about it, so we are moving in that direction which is exciting to me. To me, that notion is a very cool one."

EpcotServo

- Observe and Report. Funny. I'm starting to like the Jody Hill brand of comedy after Foot Fist Way and, especially, Eastbound and Down. O and R is not for everybody, but I was entertained. Ronnie Barnhart is no Kenny Powers, though.

So excited to see Eastbound & Down, only seen a bit of it.

I think another thing we can all agree on and take away from this thread...Danny McBride is great.
:lol: :sohappy:

imagineer boy

-HP & HPB: IT'S COMING OUT TWO DAYS EARLIER! Although, two essential parts of the book, the Battle of Astronomy Tower and Dumbledore's funeral, were both removed from the movie. I'm rather intrigued to see how big of an impact the absence of these two events will have on the cinematic version of the series.

Looks great, can't wait to see it!

-Star Trek: I was born and raised a Trekkie (I know, I know, one of Seth Rogen's characters in "Fanboys" said Trekkie is a derogatory term, and the correct terminology is Trekker, but meh) so I'm really anxious to see this prequel. And Zachary Quinto, Sylar from Heroes, is in it. Can't go wrong with that.

I'm kinda a trekkie (okay, maybe not much of one but I've seen all the movies and some of the shows lol) and I wasn't looking forward to this when it was announced. But the trailer looks so awesome, I can't wait. Hopefully this will reboot the stale franchise.

-X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Yeah, so I watched the unfinished, leaked version. What fangirl wouldn't? I'm still interested to see the final cut. Besides, I've been waiting for this movie since the first X-Men movie was announced :lol:

Once again, I wasn't looking forward to this at all but when I saw the trailer, I was hooked! It looks awesome.

-Angels & Demons: I'm obsessed with the book. I love it. I love Robert Langdon. The story is completely original, even though there's some fact thrown in. It's incredible. I am, however, not pleased with the fact that the film adaptation is a sequel to The DaVinci Code, rather than a prequel as the book is. Nor am I pleased with the fact that they changed Camerlengo Carlos Ventresca's name to Patrick McKenna. I'm just nitpicky like that sometimes.

Eh, it looks interesting but I was really unimpressed by the Da Vinci Code film so I'm not too enthused.

-Terminator Salvation: Because c'mon, who hasn't been wanting to see a grown up John Connor? And it's Christian Bale, it's going to be a great movie.

It looks cool, but I think its time the terminator franchise was just left alone though.

-Up: I know nothing about this film, aside from the fact that it's much anticipated and has received (from what I've seen, anyways) rave reviews.

What can I say? I looks fantastic! Another winner from Pixar I think.

-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Based on what I've read concerning plot points...I don't think I'm going to enjoy this one as much as the first one. But I'm still going to see it. Two words: Optimus Prime.

Just as long as they have more awesome Steve Jablonsky music I will be happy! :sohappy:

-Ice Age 3: Really? Was a 3rd one really necessary?

I agree. This is a dying franchise that's getting staler and it doesn't need more movies.

-Public Enemies: Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in the same movie. I saw the trailer for this and it looks absolutely incredible.

Thanks for bringing this movie up! I just watched the trailer, and you're right, it does look incredible! I will SO see this when it opens.

-GI Joe:Rise of Cobra: GI Joe was a big part of my childhood, my dad was (and still is) obsessed with them. I'm interested to see what this movie is all about, even though the director also did Van Helsing, and the set pictures I've seen look pretty ridiculous.

This movie looks horrible. Just horrible.

-Observe & Report: Meh, it's the typical Seth Rogen movie, with Anna Farris in her typical dumb blonde role. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

Agreed. Like I said before, I'm not a Seth Rogan fan.

-Step Brothers: I'm sick of Will Ferrell. Aside from Anchorman, Talladega Nights and Stranger Than Fiction, his movies all suck. He's apparently starring in a film version of Land of the Lost. No intention to see that whatsoever.

Agreed. I'm sick of him too. I don't find him funny in the least and Land of the Lost looks dreadful.

EpcotServo

Nuts to your X-Mens and Harry Potters, I'm going to see MOON. looks fantastic.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIexG8179K8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pIexG8179K8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom