Most under-rated Disney movie

I haven't seen any love for my all-time favorite live action Disney movie: Hot Lead and Cold Feet. I show it to my third grade students every year and they absolutely love it. Jim Dale is awesome in it.

jemlover

I'm glad to see someone else mentioned The Ugly Dachshund. It was such a cute movie. Seeing Brutus the Great Dane with the little Dachshunds is hilarious. I also have to vote for Meet the Robinsons. DH likes it too.

The Apple Dumpling Gang! IDK how I forget to mention it!

I wouldn't say Old Yeller is underrated. It's one of the best known films of all time. Check your local grocery store for Old Yeller dog food!

Hrudey3032

I am surprised the original Parent Trap was not mentioned but it is a favorite of mine. I also love Lt. Robinson Crusoe USN,The Black Hole, and the Apple Dumpling Gang movies with Tim Conway and Don Knotts.

As far as animated Fox and the Hound and Robin Hood.

Crockett

Banned
This doesn't count as a full length feature since it's only approx 30-min long, but definitely underrated. It's an older cartoon/movie(?) from either the late 70's or early 80's called "The Small One". It tells the story of a boy and his misfit donkey. Has a very emotional/beautiful ending & theme song. I remember it playing a lot during the holidays on The Disney Channel growing up. This beautiful cartoon/feature (whatever you call it) deserved more recognition.
smallone102titleSM.jpg

Spike-in-Berlin

It seems as practically all really bad or even rightout terrible disney movies are considered "underrated". I would really appreciate if those who consider "The Emperors New Groove", "The Black Hole", "The Great Mouse Detective", "Atlantis", " "Rocketeer" etc. to be "underrated" could tell me which Disney movies in their opinion are really BAD. Or isn't there such a thing as a bad disney movie in their opinion? What's really bad if "The Emperors New Groove" or "The Black Hole" is only considered being "underrated"? We didn't even get "The Emperors new groove" to the end, stopped it halfway through.

Really underrated was IMHO TRON for a long time, it took more than 15 years until people finally discovered its true qualities. And of course Fantasia. It took decades to be accepted as a gem of animation, a classic and a milestone in movie history. The same with Alice in Wonderland.

MAF

I actually just watched the movie today, but I must say that Tangled has been extremely underrated IMO. To me it ranks up there with The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

Tarzan513

I can't believe Tarzan has made the list so few times. I would definitely vote for Tarzan! Great movie, score and characters. Perhaps it isn't on the list much because you all think it IS appreciated. :ROFLOL: actually, as far as a big time movie that is underappreciated in the parks for rides or shows, I think it is Aladin.

MarkTwain

It seems as practically all really bad or even rightout terrible disney movies are considered "underrated". I would really appreciate if those who consider "The Emperors New Groove", "The Black Hole", "The Great Mouse Detective", "Atlantis", " "Rocketeer" etc. to be "underrated" could tell me which Disney movies in their opinion are really BAD. Or isn't there such a thing as a bad disney movie in their opinion? What's really bad if "The Emperors New Groove" or "The Black Hole" is only considered being "underrated"? We didn't even get "The Emperors new groove" to the end, stopped it halfway through.

Really underrated was IMHO TRON for a long time, it took more than 15 years until people finally discovered its true qualities. And of course Fantasia. It took decades to be accepted as a gem of animation, a classic and a milestone in movie history. The same with Alice in Wonderland.

I think the unofficial definition of "underrated" is that a movie receives less attention than it deserves, or that it would be more popular if only more people knew about it or watched it. I'm surprised at how much Pocahontas is still talked about/referred to in pop culture, when IMO it's far from Disney's greatest effort. On the other hand, I think Treasure Planet, Mulan, and even The Emperor's New Groove are all great films that I'm surprised aren't considered Disney classics. They may not be as groundbreaking as Fantasia (and really, what movie is?) but they're all smartly-written, funny, and artistically sound movies with interesting characters.

wizards8507

I really think that Aladdin has gotten hosed. They rewrote a classic song for political correctness and left the movie out of the Diamond Edition release lineup, presumably to avoid controversy. It has a special place in my heart as the first movie I ever saw in a theater (I was 4 at the time), and features Robin Williams in what is, IMHO, the greatest voice-acted animated role in history (Genie).

Tomi-Rocket

My picks aren't new to the list, just wanted to add mine:

1. Chicken Little (just watched it the other day again)
2. Emporer's New Groove ("uh - DOI!" Favorite line ever! I used to say that all the time when I was a kid.)
3. Brother Bear

However, there are some movies being listed that I thought were considered hits - Mulan, Tangled, Enchanted & Bolt which is why I didn't list them.

scoobygirl39541

Hunchback of Notre Dame for sure! Its such a beautiful movie! The animation itself it amazing. The cathedrals and landscapes are a work of art. The soundtrack is one of Disney's best. The story itself is so different from what Disney produces now. I absolutely love that its darker and not sugarcoated. I could go on and on.. but that's my pick :)

EmilyCaroline

if i had to pick one i would say mulan without a doubt it is one of my favourite films of all time. :)
But some others id probably say are are brother bear, tarzan and bugs life

Sarabell

I´ll go with the sword in the stone. I loved that movie when I was a kid! I would definitely line up to take a picture with Merlin! specially if he was wearing his beach outfit!:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom