Most under-rated Disney movie

TropicalFig8

My vote is for Dinosaur.

My friend rented this movie from Blockbuster and I didn't even know this movie was based off of the ride. I never even seen it before in my life but I kind of knew it was a Disney movie.

enchanted_belle

I really think that Aladdin has gotten hosed. They rewrote a classic song for political correctness and left the movie out of the Diamond Edition release lineup, presumably to avoid controversy. It has a special place in my heart as the first movie I ever saw in a theater (I was 4 at the time), and features Robin Williams in what is, IMHO, the greatest voice-acted animated role in history (Genie).

Agreed, Aladdin was one of my first movies in theater as well, and it will always hold a special place in my heart even if it doesn't in the parks.

Spinlock

A Goofy Movie for sure. Great story, music, and animation with a modern theme. There's no monsters, magic, huge battles or anything, so I guess it's not considered a "classic" story.

I'm glad so many other people said The Hunchback, it really is one of the BEST, the show at MGM was great too, if anyone else remembers it.

I don't know why people don't think Aladdin gets attention in the parks though. The carpet ride in AL and Meet and Greet, the Genie in Disneyquest and virtual carpet ride, the FULL stage show in California and now the cruise ship, there's usually Aladdin floats in the afternoon parades, the Morocco area in Epcot has Aladdin, the walk through window-scene attraction in Paris, I think; how much more could Aladdin possibly be in the parks without having Aladdin-land????? And wasn't there even an entire Aladdin parade at one point?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that movie, I know it word for word...I just kinda laughed when people kept saying it should be in the parks.:lol:

Treasure Planet was pretty cool...I remember when the characters were in Tomorroland for a while after that one came out. One was a face-character.

MMFanCipher

Hunchback of Notre Dame for sure! Its such a beautiful movie! The animation itself it amazing. The cathedrals and landscapes are a work of art. The soundtrack is one of Disney's best. The story itself is so different from what Disney produces now. I absolutely love that its darker and not sugarcoated. I could go on and on.. but that's my pick :)

Don't get me wrong I liked this movie. It was very good and it might have been dark for a Disney movie, but it is no where near as dark as the book. Talk about a "she dies, he dies, we all die!" type book.

Spike-in-Berlin

A Goofy Movie for sure. Great story, music, and animation with a modern theme. There's no monsters, magic, huge battles or anything, so I guess it's not considered a "classic" story.

I'm glad so many other people said The Hunchback, it really is one of the BEST, the show at MGM was great too, if anyone else remembers it.

I don't know why people don't think Aladdin gets attention in the parks though. The carpet ride in AL and Meet and Greet, the Genie in Disneyquest and virtual carpet ride, the FULL stage show in California and now the cruise ship, there's usually Aladdin floats in the afternoon parades, the Morocco area in Epcot has Aladdin, the walk through window-scene attraction in Paris, I think; how much more could Aladdin possibly be in the parks without having Aladdin-land????? And wasn't there even an entire Aladdin parade at one point?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that movie, I know it word for word...I just kinda laughed when people kept saying it should be in the parks.:lol:

Treasure Planet was pretty cool...I remember when the characters were in Tomorroland for a while after that one came out. One was a face-character.

I love it too. But I hate the attractions based on it. Aladdins Enchanted Passage in DLP is something for pre-schoolers, absolutely boring, I wouldn't even consider it a full attraction but more something like "CoN:prince Caspian" which was actually more interesting.
And the Flying Carpets, just like the whole Aggrabah-section in Adventureland are a major desaster in bad imagineering, worst imagineering in WDW ever.

pumpkin7

Animated Disney Film: Hunchback of Notre Dame is one as someone mentioned earlier. Though I'm not a big fan of it. But it not being a favorite of mine clearly shows that yeah it is underrated.

Live Action Disney Film: Hocus Pocus, this is definately a favorite of everyone in my family when ever its on regardless of where it is in the movie I watch. Great Times watching it when I was young in 93'.

i agree with both of these. hocus pocus was brilliant! we used to 'play' it out in the playground at lunch time at primary school. i always wanted to play the blonde one lol.
hunchback of notre dame; i recently rediscovered this movie and it has such a beautiful musical score. the songs are so catchy (bar the strange lord frodo number about esmerelda) and a pleasure to watch.
i would also say pocohontas; again another beautiful score. i could listen to it all day.

unfortunately most of the other movies listed on this thread i haven't seen (the rescuers, bednobs and broomsticks etc), but will get right on that this weekend!

jodalovesmickey

Great topic and some great movies named already, major props to Flight of the Navigator. A lot of these have been named...and I can't name just one!

I like the classic "mash-ups"

Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros
Melody Time & Mike Mine Music
Fun and Fancy Free
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Great live action

Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Babes in Toyland
That Darn Cat
Follow Me, Boys
The Gnome Mobile
Pete's Dragon
Newsies
The Rocketeer
Cool Runnings

And animated movies

The Sword and the Stone
Robin Hood
The Rescuers
...and if Fantasia is considered to be anything other than the greatest motion picture of all time, then it is underrated.

MansionGoer13z

The original Tron. Maybe not so much now with Tron Legacy in the world. :) Flight of the Navigator is another good one.

Flight of the Navigator I loved that
one tried to watch it instantly on Netflix...It was an unfortunate no go. I guess I'll either have it sent to me or buy it for myself.

Another one if it has not been mentioned yet, was Mr. Boogity I & II those two are probably underated Disney classics.

Malvito

I really think that Aladdin has gotten hosed. They rewrote a classic song for political correctness and left the movie out of the Diamond Edition release lineup, presumably to avoid controversy. It has a special place in my heart as the first movie I ever saw in a theater (I was 4 at the time), and features Robin Williams in what is, IMHO, the greatest voice-acted animated role in history (Genie).

Aladdin is not currently in the line-up; that does not necessarily mean that it will not be in the line-up. They are probably juxtaposing the timing so that the company can release it during a Yuletide rush. Lion King won't be out until the Yuletide season of this year.

When the original TRON was not immediately announced for release as a DVD/Blu-ray, upon the theatrical release of TRON:Legacy, all sorts of conspiracy theories emerged as to how Disney was attempting to keep it off the market. Then, Surprise!!!, it was release simultaneously with TRON:Legacy.

Animaniac93-98

Another one if it has not been mentioned yet, was Mr. Boogity I & II those two are probably underated Disney classics.

Good choices! And on a similar note Child of Glass is fun too.

The Sword and the Rose (yes "Rose" not "Stone") is another great one as is The Horse Without a Head (made for TV, but has theatrical cut too).

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My top 3 Disney movies would all be classed as underrated

1.Nightmare before Christmas
2.Hercules
3.Brother bear Eh!
:wave:

puntagordabob

The Black Hole

The Cat from Outer Space

The Million Dollar Duck (according to my Mom's journal was the first Disney movie I ever saw as a little boy!)

Miracle of the White Stallions

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

101 Dalmatians

Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier

The gy Dog

Song of the South

Bolt

Brother Bear

Silver Figment

I think Atlantis and Treasure Planet were both great films but they didn't hit too well in the box office so Disney won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Atlantis had a straight to video sequal but i think it was extrememly lucky it even got that. Treasure Planet upsets me even more though. Its animation is cutting edge, i'd even go as far as to say one the best animated films disney has made. The way they perfectly blended 2D animation with the 3D styles was splandid. It's an interesting twist on a classic story and one of the most entertaining films i've ever seen from Disney and there is 0 representation anywhere. So disappointing. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom