Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLeo18
I love how people love to be a part of a disney fan board just to bash disney...

So is criticism forbidden? Thats the normal refuge of dictators and religious zealots.

Great -- and dead on accurate -- analogy.

I think some folks have a total and utter lack of understanding about what a Disney discussion forum is supposed to be about.

And I don't know one person -- and I most assuredly am not one -- who posts here just to bash Disney.

WDW1974

This attraction WILL take up a significantly larger footprint than just what is currently Soundstage 1 ... although even though people have said this will be an E-Ticket, I still have my doubts.

RnRC is incredibly overrated to me ... because it is short, has very little to see and after the first 20 seconds the ride isn't all that thrilling.

My concern is this will be a more family-friendly ride along those lines ...

Makes you long for the day of long immersive family rides ... you know like Monsters Ride and Go Seek!

SirGoofy

And I don't know one person -- and I most assuredly am not one -- who posts here just to bash Disney.

Unfortunately people confuse the people who want Disney to return to creating and building truly groundbreaking attractions like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Disneyland's Pirates, etc. and stop building crap like Stitch, MILF, and Rockin Roller Coaster(Sorry, but the ride is NOT up to Disney's standards, for people who "bash" Disney. Walt forbid anyone goes against Disney.:rolleyes:

SirGoofy

This attraction WILL take up a significantly larger footprint than just what is currently Soundstage 1 ... although even though people have said this will be an E-Ticket, I still have my doubts.

RnRC is incredibly overrated to me ... because it is short, has very little to see and after the first 20 seconds the ride isn't all that thrilling.

Makes you long for the day of long immersive family rides ... you know like Monsters Ride and Go Seek!

Wow...we just posted pretty much the exact same thing 30 seconds appart. :lol:

And considering the budget for Tokyo's Monsters is only 100mil for over 70, yes 70, AAs, that would be an attraction worth building.

But of course that's too hard for Phil to okay, right?

Lee

Adventurer

Deal!
Let's knock down Stage 1 and build one of these:
P1030368.JPG

WDW1974

Hey, Lee, I'll go get my jackhammer!

Seriously, if people arouns these parts only knew what Disney was capable of (even now) and was doing around the world, I think their 'World views' would change considerably.

But, hey, they're closing PhilharMagic for a three-day rehab ... WOO-HOO!!!!!

Underdog

I would think that the dark as well as items placed close to the track would provide an increased sensation of speed. It does seem that this could really be a winner.

I think going up, actually would fit the original story better, as there were multiple 'lines' of doors in the movie. The heights on the Vekoma clones have been in the 50 ft. range. How tall is this building?

The Cypress Gardens one is, yes.

If it's the single-car "suspended door" that some people are talking about, I can imagine the speeds would seem a lot faster as a dark ride; the Vekoma multi-car models go about 25 m.p.h. (stated above), and Space Mountain only goes... 27? 28? Lots o' banking and dark-ride elements could make this a winner.

As for space... is there any feasible system that might offer an "elevator" lift? Sorta like ToT with an entire track layout. Granted, the banking specs (and in turn track) might have to be altered, but if you can't build out, building up might be an option.

P.S. Having ridden one of the Vekoma Suspended's, I can definitely see some good dark-ride elements or show gags coming into play if it gets this close to the ground... slime river? "Slithering monster" effect? :D

p9655.jpg

Underdog

Also - Didn't Lee say 'powered' as well? Even though we don't 'know' what the story is, would they use a 'powered' or 'launched' vehicle in such a small space? I would think height would be more important initially than a launch.

The Mack looks good, especially with the rotating chairs - that would offer a much different scenario and probably works better with the door theme.

Ooh, I forgot about Mack. That ride system (I assume it's a prototype?) looks like it'd fit the "door factory" theme nicely, especially if the cars could rotate independently.

Underdog

Maybe if the lesser stuff is high quality, then we won't miss the bigger items. As much.

Possibly.

Maybe.

:shrug:

Yep.

I see the biggest price-tag stuff ... the big draw stuff ... from the DAK additions to the Fantasyland redo with new attractions being the stuff LEAST likely to see the light of day ... the lesser stuff will make it off the drawing board.

Unfortunately, I think WDW needs its own version of the Disney Decade, except one where the stuff actually happens.

Underdog

E-ticket? Really? Wow - I can understand how some would say that Pixar is taking over if this would be an E-Ticket. They'll be up in arms again.

If this ride has rotating seats, and if we are to believe anything in Jim Hill's first article about this, (i.e. the set pieces while you're going up the lift hill, etc.) then it sounds like there is going to be some creative juice really put into this.

RnRC (IMHO) is great because of the launch. The short time fits with the story of going across town, so while it's not my favorite launched coaster, it's pretty good.

MousDad

E-ticket? Really? Wow - I can understand how some would say that Pixar is taking over and if this would be an E-Ticket, then they'll be up in arms again.

Well, it is going in Pixar Place. That would be a hard sell for a takeover, even for the placement preachers.

kcnole

I've ridden that suspended vekoma at Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Ga. Its not a very good coaster at all, at least not on its on. However I imagine that if you used it as the basis for a dark ride it could be awfully thrilling. I'm sure I'd feel that riding the exact same ride system as Space Mountain outside would be awful as well, but there's something about it in the dark with special effects that makes it so great, well, at least at Disneyland.

DVillain

I think this ride will be good. From what I understood they were going to take a chunk out of BLT to make room for the new attraction. Since this post has been talking about all kinda things happining at disney will there ever be a disney villain ride or was there ever a ride concept. I would like to know the details if you can tell me any. Lee or Martin? Thanks

Captain Chaos

I think this ride will be good. From what I understood they were going to take a chunk out of BLT to make room for the new attraction. Since this post has been talking about all kinda things happining at disney will there ever be a disney villain ride or was there ever a ride concept. I would like to know the details if you can tell me any. Lee or Martin? Thanks

They should just take away BLT now....

Lee

Adventurer
I Since this post has been talking about all kinda things happining at disney will there ever be a disney villain ride or was there ever a ride concept. I would like to know the details if you can tell me any. Lee or Martin? Thanks
Do a search for "Villian Village" here on the boards. I think I described it pretty well at some point.

Lee

Adventurer
I couldn't find anything about the village could you help me please, and is a villain attraction still possible?

Ok. I'll try to give as good of a discription as I can without writing a novel.
Back when they were looking at concepts to put where the 20k lagoon was, one of the ideas was for something called Villian Village. The concept is dead now, at least for that location, and as far as I know it has never been proposed for any other spot. Keep in mind, it was only a concept, and never made it to the approval pipeline. This is what was described to me, several years ago. It isn't some fanboy made-up thing, it actually existed as a concept at Disney at one point.

The idea was to create a mini-land, adjacent to Fantasyland, that would be home to the Villians. Sort of a darker version of Toontown. It would have included a restaurant, villian-themed shops and an e-ticket, often referred to as Villian Mountain. Villian Mountain was a water based ride, similar in scale to Splash, but starring the Villians. In a nutshell, you trespassed into their mountain, they see you, and the ride consists of you trying to escape and ending with a splashdown at the end. The ride syetem would have been (depending on who you ask) either a splashdown flume ride like Escape from Pompei at Busch Gardens Europe, or a water coaster like Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld. The whole thing would have been encircled by a large fence, with huge gates at the entrance.

Part of the idea, was to use this as one way to help combat Uni's Halloween Horror Nights. Disney knew they couldn't take the teen/young adult demographic from HHN, but hoped that if they made their own Halloween event, it would bring in families with young children by the truckload.

The plan was to have, on certain nights in Oct/Nov, Halloween events that would begin at dark. There would be a ceremony of sorts, where the gates to Villian Village are closed to contain the "evil forces" in there so that guests could enjoy the party in the rest of the MK. Naturally, that fails, and the villians would stage a huge escape and basically take over the MK while the other characters fled to Toontown or some such. Anyway, the whole park would then be run by the villians. They would be everywhere, taking photos with guests, pretending to steal candy, make trouble, the works.

Then, at a certain time (midnight, maybe?), Mickey would lead an group of "good characters" through the park, rounding up all the villians and herding them back into Villian Village, where the gate would again be locked, sealing them in and saving the MK from the forces of evil.

Sounds cool, huh?
Never made it out of the concept phase, and so far as I know, it is the only true villian-themed idea to be fully fleshed out.
Of course, anything is possible, so they could decide to do a villian ride at any time, though I am not aware of any currently being looked at.

Whew....that was long....:dazzle:

jt04

^ Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the great description. Now if they wanted to scale this idea to a single dark ride concept instead of an entire "land" perhaps the GMR would work. Just a thought.

goodtimes5286

Ok. I'll try to give as good of a discription as I can without writing a novel.
Back when they were looking at concepts to put where the 20k lagoon was, one of the ideas was for something called Villian Village. The concept is dead now, at least for that location, and as far as I know it has never been proposed for any other spot. Keep in mind, it was only a concept, and never made it to the approval pipeline. This is what was described to me, several years ago. It isn't some fanboy made-up thing, it actually existed as a concept at Disney at one point.

The idea was to create a mini-land, adjacent to Fantasyland, that would be home to the Villians. Sort of a darker version of Toontown. It would have included a restaurant, villian-themed shops and an e-ticket, often referred to as Villian Mountain. Villian Mountain was a water based ride, similar in scale to Splash, but starring the Villians. In a nutshell, you trespassed into their mountain, they see you, and the ride consists of you trying to escape and ending with a splashdown at the end. The ride syetem would have been (depending on who you ask) either a splashdown flume ride like Escape from Pompei at Busch Gardens Europe, or a water coaster like Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld. The whole thing would have been encircled by a large fence, with huge gates at the entrance.

Part of the idea, was to use this as one way to help combat Uni's Halloween Horror Nights. Disney knew they couldn't take the teen/young adult demographic from HHN, but hoped that if they made their own Halloween event, it would bring in families with young children by the truckload.

The plan was to have, on certain nights in Oct/Nov, Halloween events that would begin at dark. There would be a cermony of sorts, where the gates to Villian Village are closed to contain the "evil forces" in there so that guests could enjoy the party in the rest of the MK. Naturally, that fails, and the villians would stage a huge escape and basically take over the MK while the other characters fled to Toontown or some such. Anyway, the whole park would then be run by the villians. They would be everywhere, taking photos with guests, pretending to steal candy, make trouble, the works.

Then, at a certain time (midnight, maybe?), Mickey would lead an group of "good characters" through the park, rounding up all the villians and herding them back into Villian Village, where the gate would again be locked, sealing them in and saving the MK from the forces of evil.

Sounds cool, huh?
Never made it out of the concept phase, and so far as I know, it is the only true villian-themed idea to be fully fleshed out.
Of course, any thing is possible, so they could decide to do a villian ride at any time, though I am not aware of any currently being looked at.

Whew....that was long....:dazzle:

Awsome idea! wouldn't steal teens n college studens away from halloween horror nights, but still great idea. I wonderif you would have huge crouds following Mickey and friends around the park watching them gather up the villans? I think the coolest thing would be the 'locking them in and sealing it up', that just sounds like a fan favoite idea (aka the croud goes wild). I'm not one for parades or shows or fireworks or anything like that, but I'm telling you I'd watch that go down!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom