Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

GothMickey

Pardon the crudeness of this quick little rendering. If Microsoft's scale measurements are correct, this is an approximate vision of Cypress' Swamp Thing superimposed on Stage 1.
I'm trying to find the Stage dimensions, but haven't yet. The big if here, is how far does TSMM extend. I'm unsure if it uses up the middle area between the two stages, or not. If not...looks like a suspended family should fit with a little tweeking.....but the queue....?
stage1_st.JPG

That's a very helpful rendering Lee, thank you. A little tweeking and it can fit. I can't see where a queue would go though. Of course the design of the coaster would probably, have to be, different.

Is it possible Disney's Imagineers looked at the soundstage and thought there is no way the coaster would fit in there, and, the reason things are kind of quiet about the work is because they changed the way they first imagineered the ride?

Underdog

That does seem to be a tight fit, but for a suspended, it appears to scale down nicely. Queue, loading station, and after-ride picture station/store don't seem to fit into the building either - maybe outside?

Wasn't this originally rumored to be based off of Crush's coaster in DLP?

Is the ride system a vekoma?

Pardon the crudeness of this quick little rendering. If Microsoft's scale measurements are correct, this is an approximate vision of Cypress' Swamp Thing superimposed on Stage 1.
I'm trying to find the Stage dimensions, but haven't yet. The big if here, is how far does TSMM extend. I'm unsure if it uses up the middle area between the two stages, or not. If not...looks like a suspended family should fit with a little tweeking.....but the queue....?
stage1_st.JPG

jt04

That does seem to be a tight fit, but for a suspended, it appears to scale down nicely. Queue, loading station, and after-ride picture station/store don't seem to fit into the building either - maybe outside?

I have always wondered if the entry/exit and shop might not be on the south side of Studio 1. That would give them plenty of room to expand. Everyone just assumes the entry will be on Pixar Place but I am not so sure.

Wonder what it is exactly that is going on behind those BT construction walls?????

Underdog

Checking out some of the other Vekoma suspended family coasters on Rcdb, they all seem to have the same footprint and specs, having some decent banking and turns. However, they're all clones which appear to have the same basic layout. The speeds I saw looked to be around the 25-26 MPH range.

I'm starting to see how this could work but my concern is the layout of the ride, just based on the ones I've seen already. I'm sure it will receive the Disney touch though.

I have always wondered if the entry/exit and shop might not be on the south side of Studio 1. That would give them plenty of room to expand. Everyone just assumes the entry will be on Pixar Place but I am not so sure.

Wonder what it is exactly that is going on behind those BT construction walls?????

GothMickey

By the way, Lee or Marni, do you know or did you hear what the storyline for this coaster ride was or is going to be? I know the rumor was it would involve the door scene in the movie, and have that incorporated into the ride somehow.

dandaman

The Cypress Gardens one is, yes.

If it's the single-car "suspended door" that some people are talking about, I can imagine the speeds would seem a lot faster as a dark ride; the Vekoma multi-car models go about 25 m.p.h. (stated above), and Space Mountain only goes... 27? 28? Lots o' banking and dark-ride elements could make this a winner.

As for space... is there any feasible system that might offer an "elevator" lift? Sorta like ToT with an entire track layout. Granted, the banking specs (and in turn track) might have to be altered, but if you can't build out, building up might be an option.

P.S. Having ridden one of the Vekoma Suspended's, I can definitely see some good dark-ride elements or show gags coming into play if it gets this close to the ground... slime river? "Slithering monster" effect? :D

p9655.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
Is it possible Disney's Imagineers looked at the soundstage and thought there is no way the coaster would fit in there, and, the reason things are kind of quiet about the work is because they changed the way they first imagineered the ride?
Don't think so. It is still being referred to as a coaster by everyone I hear from.

MousDad said:
So are we saying that Sound Stage 1 is barely big enough for even the smallest family type coaster?
Yeah, pretty much. I feel fairly sure that the building will have to be enlarged in some way.

Underdog said:
Nope. Crush's first half is very similar to the Nemo ride at Epcot, thus preventing a direct lift here.

GothMickey said:
By the way, Lee or Marni, do you know or did you hear what the storyline for this coaster ride was or is going to be? I know the rumor was it would involve the door scene in the movie, and have that incorporated into the ride somehow.
Far as I know, that hasn't changed.

Underdog said:
No idea. Several companies make family inverts. At one time I heard Mack mentioned. They make a nice powered family invert:
leseobjekte.html

Enigma

Account Suspended
When I went into soundstage 1 last summer for star wars weekends it looked wayy too small for me for any kind of attraction. Only thing I can think of is that there going to tear down a wall and somehow expand the building in the back or on the west side to expand it. Not sure if thats evne possible though.

dandaman

Ooh, I forgot about Mack. That ride system (I assume it's a prototype?) looks like it'd fit the "door factory" theme nicely, especially if the cars could rotate independently.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have always wondered if the entry/exit and shop might not be on the south side of Studio 1. That would give them plenty of room to expand
Who knows.... :D

And who says it all has to fit in Stage One?

tirian

stage1_st.JPG

You're forgetting one thing: ride length. Does Disney want a family coaster that only lasts 35 seconds? How long is the Crush Coaster?

WDW1974

Definately agree.
That stuff made it within shouting distance of having a chance before the big freeze, but a good chunk of it will likely fall back into blue-sky limbo by the time they decide to move forward with anything.

Yep.

I see the biggest price-tag stuff ... the big draw stuff ... from the DAK additions to the Fantasyland redo with new attractions being the stuff LEAST likely to see the light of day ... the lesser stuff will make it off the drawing board.

Unfortunately, I think WDW needs its own version of the Disney Decade, except one where the stuff actually happens.

Lee

Adventurer
You're forgetting one thing: ride length. Does Disney want a family coaster that only lasts 35 seconds? How long is the Crush Coaster?

The standard Vekoma family invert runs just over a minute, which is just a hair shorter than RnRC.
Something my attempts to shoehorn an off the shelf Vekoma don't take into account, is that the ride would (if I recall correctly), like Crush, involve a pseudo dark-ride portion before the actual coaster segment.
That, and the queue, etc., would necessitate the expansion into other areas backstate.
Goes without saying that the whole ride footprint will be larger than Stage 1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom