Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

jt04

First, it is entirely possible that more than 30% of that list gets built.
Second, I don't think it's a wait and see deal. They have known for some time that the PR push for HP will be massive, and likely overshadow whatever celebration they have planned. Disney will be running on reputation while Universal has all the shiny new stuff to lure guests with.

Their only real chance was to make a huge deal out of the 40th, on a scale like the 25th, have a celebration that runs from mid 2010 through 2011, and pull out all the stops. Leading the charge would have been a fully reimagined Space Mountain 2.0 and the Little Mermaid ride.
Now, they have pulled back on one, and put the second into indefinate limbo, supposedly due to the economic situation.
Perhaps, they will decide to kick it into high gear later, when the economy starts to look a little better, but at this point...there won't really be much countering.

Lee, is the MI coaster plan a suspended coaster? The footers for a suspended coaster seem too massive for that building? Any details as to how this will work from a logistical point of view?

GothMickey

Second, I don't think it's a wait and see deal. They have known for some time that the PR push for HP will be massive, and likely overshadow whatever celebration they have planned. Disney will be running on reputation while Universal has all the shiny new stuff to lure guests with.

Their only real chance was to make a huge deal out of the 40th, on a scale like the 25th, have a celebration that runs from mid 2010 through 2011, and pull out all the stops. Leading the charge would have been a fully reimagined Space Mountain 2.0 and the Little Mermaid ride.
Now, they have pulled back on one, and put the second into indefinate limbo, supposedly due to the economic situation.
Perhaps, they will decide to kick it into high gear later, when the economy starts to look a little better, but at this point...there won't really be much countering.

So, they will rest on their laurels and go by name alone. I wonder how mnay more managers will get the boot if Universal beats out 3 of Disney's 4 parks in attendance once HP opens? More heads will have to roll if WDW dips into second behind Universal.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Lee, is the MI coaster plan a suspended coaster? The footers for a suspended coaster seem too massive for that building? Any details as to how this will work from a logistical point of view?
Lets assume my head has been up my butt for a few days... what show building is the MI coaster supposedly going in?

jt04

So, they will rest on their laurels and go by name alone. I wonder how mnay more managers will get the boot if Universal beats out 3 of Disney's 4 parks in attendance once HP opens? More heads will have to roll if WDW dips into second behind Universal.

No chance that will happen after the first year. The attendance figures I mean.

It will be interesting to see how Uni handles the crowds trying to cram into 1 "land" however, especially since they have a priority fastpass system. I think it would be a mistake not to have some sort of fastpass when it does finally open if visiting in the first year.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Of course not, I've noticed people even critisize you and you take it very well.:lookaroun

The problem with certain poster(s) is that they make the same point over and over and over. Except when they are making the same "pixie dust inhaling" joke over and over and over. I think we feel we are having our intellect questioned because it appears it is being assumed we don't get the point or the joke. The joke was funny once or twice, now it's, well, somewhat pathetic.:snore:

As for you, you always keep your material fresh which is much appreciated.:sohappy:

So, does anyone know how the heck they can put an actual suspended coaster in that small building? Makes no sense to me.

Unlike my socks

Underdog

Considering the location of the ride what it's themed around, is it correct to assume will be a family friendly coaster, since you've got 2 thrill rides on the other side of the park?

2010 & 2011 will be an interesting time for Disney & universal fans. I would assume that part of 'running on reputation' is the upkeep and refubishing of current attractions. Is Star Tours on track for 2010/11?

Since the LM ride is supposedly green lighted for DCA, is it in a holding pattern for Orlando? I'd also assume it'd be a straight 'clone' of the DCA ride, much like the TSMs are identical.

GothMickey

It will be interesting to see how Uni handles the crowds trying to cram into 1 "land" however, especially since they have a priority fastpass system. I think it would be a mistake not to have some sort of fastpass when it does finally open if visiting in the first year.

Well, Universal's attendance figures aren't too below AK and DHS. Maybe it is pushing it to say they may catch Epcot's attendance. However, with HP, I can see them pushing ahead of the other two parks. The only thing that is going to stop that right now is the economy. But, the locals may more than make up for that.

jt04

Well, Universal's attendance figures aren't too below AK and DHS. Maybe it is pushing it to say they may catch Epcot's attendance. However, with HP, I can see them pushing ahead of the other two parks. The only thing that is going to stop that right now is the economy. But, the locals may more thna make up for that.

It will be temporary attendance bump, at least that is IoA's track record.

Believe me I hope it ends up motivating Disney to build more attractions.

Underdog

I agree - while it is significant, the gap in attendance between the two is big enough to absorb the HP effect for a year. I do think the bigger issue would be the scrutiny that Disney would get if the rides in HP land are world-class.

I do think there will be some significant traffic (in the park, on outside of it)
& capacity issues during the main seasons.

Lee

Adventurer
I haven't heard any true details about the ride in months, but last I heard a suspended system was in fact what they were looking at.
It need not be all that big, really. Swamp Thing over at Cypress Gardens is a Vekoma family suspended coaster, and it's not all that massive. A variation of that would almost certainly fit in Stage 1.
p11239.jpg

p11271.jpg

jt04

I haven't heard any true details about the ride in months, but last I heard a suspended system was in fact what they were looking at.
It need not be all that big, really. Swamp Thing over at Cypress Gardens is a Vekoma family suspended coaster, and it's not all that massive. A variation of that would almost certainly fit in Stage 1.
p11239.jpg

p11271.jpg

Interesting. I didn't know suspended coasters could be that small. Looks family friendly too. Thanks for the information.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep, pretty small.
It's only 50ft high and 193' 7" x 121' 5" wide.
A bit too big for Stage 1, but in the ballpark.

GothMickey

Yep, pretty small.
It's only 50ft high and 193' 7" x 121' 5" wide.
A bit too big for Stage 1, but in the ballpark.

How big is the inside of Stage 1? I know Disney's show buildings are really misleading with how big they really are. I figure they would need a show building as big as or bigger than RNRC.

Lee

Adventurer
Pardon the crudeness of this quick little rendering. If Microsoft's scale measurements are correct, this is an approximate vision of Cypress' Swamp Thing superimposed on Stage 1.
I'm trying to find the Stage dimensions, but haven't yet. The big if here, is how far does TSMM extend. I'm unsure if it uses up the middle area between the two stages, or not. If not...looks like a suspended family should fit with a little tweeking.....but the queue....?
stage1_st.JPG

RSoxNo1

For me, the water vortex WAS the show...the best part of it, anyway.
So, if it isn't working, for any reason....just put the poor show out of it's misery.

We went into Poseidon's Fury in December, and we were building up the vortex for the newbies that were there with us. When we got out, I went up to the cast member that was the greater for the attraction and asked him if the vortex was broken. He told me, "you want the truth? It's not broken, but it's very expensive to maintain and operate and they're cutting costs now. Universal figures that most people won't be coming in 08 and 09 and saving their trips until Harry Potter opens, and to a lesser extent, Rip Ride and Rockit"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom