Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd L

someone tell me how he got past the metal detectors Uhhhhhhh, scratch that.....someone please tell me that there ARE metal detectors at the main gates to all The Parks!!

This is from Disneys web site..

Q.

What types of personal items are not permitted inside the theme parks?

A.

You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks:
  • You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks
  • Weapons of any kind

Tim_4

someone tell me how he got past the metal detectors Uhhhhhhh, scratch that.....someone please tell me that there ARE metal detectors at the main gates to all The Parks!!

This is from Disneys web site..

Q.

What types of personal items are not permitted inside the theme parks?

A.

You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks:
  • You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks
  • Weapons of any kind
I'm not defending this bozo, but that information is on the website where you looked for it. If you bought your tickets through another channel you'd never see that rule. I think not knowing that guns are prohibited at WDW is a reasonable and honest error. The egregious part is that he was carrying his weapon in a pocket rather than a holster and he lost track of it.

sbkline

Gun ownership is a 2nd Ammendment Right, and Florida and many other states allow people to carry concealed weapons. This guy owns a gun, prefers to carry it, forgot to check it in and and fell out of his pocket on the ride. So what? I'm not seeing the big deal here. Until our recent gunaphobic generation, people no one would have thought much about this.

Tigger1988

I can't bring a bottle of Snapple into a Disney park, why would anyone think you could bring a GUN to one?

Maybe they have to get some real security out in front of the parks.

Gun ownership is a 2nd Ammendment Right, and Florida and many other states allow people to carry concealed weapons. This guy owns a gun, prefers to carry it, forgot to check it in and and fell out of his pocket on the ride. So what? I'm not seeing the big deal here. Until our recent gunaphobic generation, people no one would have thought much about this.
They are banned from Disney parks. End of story.

Goofyernmost

No metal detectors and you don't want them. You'd have to go there today in order to get in the parks by tomorrow. Can you not imagine how long it would take to get thousands of people through those? This isn't a common problem. There has never been a person killed, wounded or even threatened by a gun inside a Disney Park and there wasn't this time either. It would be easy to overreact to this.

This was the action of ONE stupid person that could have been a disaster but it wasn't. The one thing I do think should happen would be a lifetime ban for that person from any Disney Park. They do need to send a strong message that they mean NO WEAPONS OF ANY SORT in the parks. A one day slap on the hand will not do it.

jakeman

I hope that is a joke. I'm not defending this idiot for carrying a weapon into a theme park, but you don't honestly think that a handgun is inaccurate do you??? I received marksmanship each time I have ever fired a handgun. Its kind of hard to do so if they are inaccurate.
Oh good, the thread is back open. It closed in the middle of me responding to this.
I'm fairly proficient myself up to about 25 yards, beyond that, unless you have a lot of practice or a competition style handgun, it gets a little sketchy.

With what this guy was toting (a POS Cobra .380) I would bet his range couldn't be more than a dozen meters at the most.

Of course, I'm a biased rifle guy, so anything less than a football field away is "close" to me. :D

Tonka's Skipper

This fellow was wrong in so many ways. He broken any number of safety rules including, but not limited to , carrying it in a back pocket and not properly holstered.

There is no reason for anyone to carry in any amusement park, or other place where your going to be bounced around and the dam thing could be lost (like in the attractions seat) or go off accidently. This includes off duty law enforcement officers. If someone feels naked without his gun or just has to have it, he needs some consulting.

Dam, lets use a little common sense here, just because someone has the right to carry a CW, doesn't means they should always carry it.

I have weapons in my home and they are properly locked up and licensed. No need to bring them where a lot of families and kids are around and take a chance it may go off or someone decides he or she needs to start shooting at a perceived threat.

AKK

bhg469

There are plenty of plain clothed security in the parks and I'm sure some of them are even armed. I respect the right of a person to protect themselves from whatever threats exist. As someone mentioned before plenty of crimes have been stopped by armed citizens.

I don't think this guy should be carrying because he didn't respect the wishes of Disney and was carrying in an unsafe manor.

sbkline

Certainly, this man should have been more careful about not losing his gun. I don't want to sound like I am defending carelesness. But I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion and should not even be national news. Why is this national news? Because we live in an increasingly gunaphobic culture, fueled by an Administration which wants to wage war on the 2nd ammendment and a media that is in complete cahoots. So naturally, they will jump on any chance they get to nationally broadcast any errors, crimes or tragedies related to guns so as to make guns, gun owners and the 2nd ammendment look bad and increase public paranoia about guns. Something like this should not even make the national news. The local news, maybe, but I'm just not sure what the big scandal is. People make boneheaded mistakes all the time without making national news. The fact that something like this is even newsworthy, I find very sad. Just shows what a gunaphobic society we live in anymore when it becomes a national scandal that someone's gun fell out of his pants.

ExtinctJenn

The fact that something like this is even newsworthy, I find very sad. Just shows what a gunaphobic society we live in anymore when it becomes a national scandal that someone's gun fell out of his pants.
I think it's much more than that personally. I think it's because he shouldn't have had the gun there to begin with. I think it's because he failed to mention it at the security check. I think it's because it was a loaded gun that fell out of his pants into the seat of a ride that a child then entered. If this had occurred on public property, where a concealed weapon was allowed, and the gun was not loaded I don't think you'd have heard a word about it.

jakeman

Certainly, this man should have been more careful about not losing his gun. I don't want to sound like I am defending carelesness. But I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion and should not even be national news. Why is this national news? Because we live in an increasingly gunaphobic culture, fueled by an Administration which wants to wage war on the 2nd ammendment and a media that is in complete cahoots. So naturally, they will jump on any chance they get to nationally broadcast any errors, crimes or tragedies related to guns so as to make guns, gun owners and the 2nd ammendment look bad and increase public paranoia about guns. Something like this should not even make the national news. The local news, maybe, but I'm just not sure what the big scandal is. People make boneheaded mistakes all the time without making national news. The fact that something like this is even newsworthy, I find very sad. Just shows what a gunaphobic society we live in anymore when it becomes a national scandal that someone's gun fell out of his pants.
It's news because it happened at the #1 tourist destination in the world.

That's probably the extent of it in this case. "Gun at Disney World" will generate clicks and views. Just like two days ago "Explosion in Toontown" generated clicks and views.

janoimagine

I get that, and I am all for the second amendment, however he and Disney, are both extremely lucky that a child did not find it and discharge the weapon, especially considering it was loaded with hollowpoints.

Why the hell do you need (as a tourist) a gun at Disney in the first place?

sbkline

I think it's much more than that personally. I think it's because he shouldn't have had the gun there to begin with. I think it's because he failed to mention it at the security check. I think it's because it was a loaded gun that fell out of his pants into the seat of a ride that a child then entered. If this had occurred on public property, where a concealed weapon was allowed, and the gun was not loaded I don't think you'd have heard a word about it.

Is anyone blaming security for not doing their job, and thus allowing the gun in to begin with? Again, should he have made sure to secure his weapon properly so as not to allow it to just fall out? Sure. Should he have respected the rules in the first place and left it there? Sure. I'm not completely defending the gun owner. But I'm also smart enough to recognize an agenda when I see it. There is a very strong movement in this country to demonize guns and gun owners and part of that movement is to broadcast things like this to put gun owners in a negative light. It's all part of the agenda to breed a culture of gunaphobia and seeing guns and gun owners as the enemy. Disney security is just as guilty for letting him through as he is for allowing it to accidentally fall out of his pocket. But I bet, in regards to security, everyone just brushes it off as "oh, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes" but with regards to the gun owner, there is no such grace being extended. Why? Because we are being trained to think of guns as evil and gun owners as evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom