Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryner84

A "responsible" gun owner should have enough sense to check Disney's rules and regulations before bringing a loaded weapon into the parks. I am disturbed that he is desensitized enough to not even consider that his gun might not have been allowed. By exercising (or abusing) his right to carry a gun, he has violated the rights of other guests who are told they are in a gun free zone. If the property rules state that no weapons are allowed, then I have the right to expect that my child won't find a loaded weapon sitting in the seat of an amusement park ride. In my opinion, he no longer falls into the category of "responsible" gun owner. Had an accident occurred, he would have been guilty of the exact same negligence but would have suffered greater consequences due to the outcome. Why wait until someone gets hurt to enforce appropriate action against such an egregious violation of the rules.

Tonka's Skipper

Is anyone blaming security for not doing their job, and thus allowing the gun in to begin with? Again, should he have made sure to secure his weapon properly so as not to allow it to just fall out? Sure. Should he have respected the rules in the first place and left it there? Sure. I'm not completely defending the gun owner. But I'm also smart enough to recognize an agenda when I see it. There is a very strong movement in this country to demonize guns and gun owners and part of that movement is to broadcast things like this to put gun owners in a negative light. It's all part of the agenda to breed a culture of gunaphobia and seeing guns and gun owners as the enemy. Disney security is just as guilty for letting him through as he is for allowing it to accidentally fall out of his pocket. But I bet, in regards to security, everyone just brushes it off as "oh, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes" but with regards to the gun owner, there is no such grace being extended. Why? Because we are being trained to think of guns as evil and gun owners as evil.

I understand a agree with the right to have guns. I own guns as well.

But the point here is that this fool was wrong on every level, 1st bringing the gun into WDW and then not following safety rules....which makes him a danger to everyone in the parks.

There is NO defense for this fool!....A total lack of common sense!

As for Disney security , there is never a system 100% perfect.....they were trying to do their job, this fool was just being a idiot for sneaking the gun into the park, there is no *grace* for being a idiot.

AKK

jakeman

I get that, and I am all for the second amendment, however he and Disney, are both extremely lucky that a child did not find it and discharge the weapon, especially considering it was loaded with hollowpoints.
Hollow points are probably the safest round for personal defense.

Not to be overly morbid, but the fragmentation of the round lessens the chance it will go through the bad guy and into the crowd.

Also, there was not a round chambered. To be clear that doesn't really chance your statement which I agree with, just that it was a few more steps away from a safety click and a trigger pull from discharging.

Why the hell do you need (as a tourist) a gun at Disney in the first place?
There are many things in life where you can ask why you need something. Sports cars, 3000 calorie dinners, the O Network.

The question is rendered moot by the fact that Disney has a no weapons policy for their private property.
Is anyone blaming security for not doing their job, and thus allowing the gun in to begin with?...
I really think in this case it's just news because it's at Disney. I don't think there is an agenda here.

The Orlando Sentinel is milking it for all it's worth, but that's what they do. A kid could choke on a churro and the Sentinel would be all over it.

Animaniac93-98

The question is rendered moot by the fact that Disney has a no weapons policy for their private property.
I really think in this case it's just news because it's at Disney. I don't think there is an agenda here.

There's always an agenda Jake, always. ;)

draybook

Cut the Fox News thing for a minute and stop trying to blame everyone but the idiot who brought the gun into a theme park.

Well, it does prove what I and a few others said about the front gate checks being nothing more than theater security. Just think about how many other people have gone through without losing their firearm......

Reactions: |Q|

Tigger1988

Well, it does prove what I and a few others said about the front gate checks being nothing more than theater security. Just think about how many other people have gone through without losing their firearm......
I've said that for years. But you know damn well if they started pat downs and metal detectors people like sbkline would be screaming that Disney is taking away their freedom!!!

bhg469

I'm guessing dozens per day at least, but those are the men and women who have a proper holster. I'm not saying he should have had the gun on property but he should not have a gun floating in his pocket... That's just awful decision making.

draybook

I'm guessing dozens per day at least, but those are the men and women who have a proper holster. I'm not saying he should have had the gun on property but he should not have a gun floating in his pocket... That's just awful decision making.

This is exactly my biggest beef with what this moron did. I thought that only young gangbangers put their weapons in their pockets....

The Mom

Premium Member
Let's keep politics (although it is an issue that usually - but not always - divides people along party/political lines) out of this, or it will be locked again. But if you want to continue the discussion, you will have to think twice (or thrice) about what you post. Thanks.

ExtinctJenn

I said it earlier (about 15 pages ago lol) but one bad apple does indeed ruin the bunch. It's not creating a society of people who are afraid of guns or disagree with the right to bare arms... it's creating a hightened awareness of the fact that the steps a person should have to take in order to get a gun maybe need to change. The more idiots out there that continue to make bad decisions with their rights, the more those rights will be called into question.

LucyK

This irks me so. You can own a weapon and you can carry it whenever you want in a public place, it's your right and yada, yada, yada. But Disney is private property and it have rules against carryings weapons of any kind while you are inside their parks. Why would you feel their rules don't apply to you?

Rosie01

This is going to cause pat downs to start, you'll have to be frisked to enter the Happiest Place on Earth?

DisneyDebRob

Still can't believe this has got to almost 20 pages. Lets review... Disney is private property.. Disney has a no weapons allowed policy... Prosecute him and that's it. This has nothing to due with the rights.. Or whether he had a permit. He commuted a crime now prosecute. Just really glad a grand mom found the gun instead of someone young. Just my 2 cents.

jakeman

Still can't believe this has got to almost 20 pages. Lets review... Disney is private property.. Disney has a no weapons allowed policy... Prosecute him and that's it. This has nothing to due with the rights.. Or whether he had a permit. He commuted a crime now prosecute. Just really glad a grand mom found the gun instead of someone young. Just my 2 cents.
Unless there is a statute against having firearms secured in a specific manner at all times (there very well may be, I'm not familiar with Florida laws) I'm not sure he committed a crime. Unfortunately, as @Master Yoda pointed out elsewhere, simply being careless with your weapon is not grounds for revocation of a CCW in the state of Florida.

He violated Disney's policy, but that is the policy of private property, not the rule of law. So unless Disney had him trespassed (which they didn't), whether he actually committed a crime is debatable (unless someone can produce a Florida law as described above).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom