Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdw71fan

I can tell you that they are still considering trespassing him.. Especially with the attention the story has gotten at this point. Yes Disney is private property and their rules are not 'law'.. But remember, Reedy Creek is the governing body of that property..

draybook

Claiming ignorance it's even worse. If you choose to use your right to carry a gun, you should take precautions and find out about all rules pertaining to the place you're going. It's inexcusable.

I've been arrested due to ignorance of a "law" or rule, so I think that it's a fine line to walk on. it's not just cut and dry.

jakeman

I've been arrested due to ignorance of a "law" or rule, so I think that it's a fine line to walk on. it's not just cut and dry.
I think in this case common sense would dictate that since you are on private property you should probably check with someone what the rules are, even if it is security at the gate.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Unless there is a statute against having firearms secured in a specific manner at all times (there very well may be, I'm not familiar with Florida laws) I'm not sure he committed a crime. Unfortunately, as @Master Yoda pointed out elsewhere, simply being careless with your weapon is not grounds for revocation of a CCW in the state of Florida.

He violated Disney's policy, but that is the policy of private property, not the rule of law. So unless Disney had him trespassed (which they didn't), whether he actually committed a crime is debatable (unless someone can produce a Florida law as described above).

Agreed. Disney is private property, so Disney can (and should be able to) decide whether guns are allowed on their property. So he violated Disney rules. Disney should therefore be able to bar him from entering their property if they so choose, for as long as they like.

But violating a property owners rule isn't necessarily a crime, nor should it be. Just like if you brought alcohol into the MK. It is a violation of the rule, but not a crime.

draybook

I think in this case common sense would dictate that since you are on private property you should probably check with someone what the rules are, even if it is security at the gate.

I agree, I'm just pointing out that the whole "ignorance of the law" thing is about as dumb as this man was.

The Mom

Premium Member
I can tell you that they are still considering trespassing him.. Especially with the attention the story has gotten at this point. Yes Disney is private property and their rules are not 'law'.. But remember, Reedy Creek is the governing body of that property..
It does not supersede FL law, and he can only be charged with tresspass if he refused to leave promptly after being told to do so. I think he can be denied admittance in the future, but I'm not sure.

He might lose his CCW permit since his firearm was exposed in a blatant manner, not concealed.

bebert

I am driving down to FL next week and will be taking my pistol but, plan on storing it in the safe deposit box at the hotel. Anyone here have experience with using the safe deposit boxes at the hotel? I dont want to keep it in our car or in the room and this is what Disney requests on their website. I am only taking it for the drive down and back, I dont need it while I am there.

BoarderPhreak

I am driving down to FL next week and will be taking my pistol but, plan on storing it in the safe deposit box at the hotel. Anyone here have experience with using the safe deposit boxes at the hotel? I dont want to keep it in our car or in the room and this is what Disney requests on their website. I am only taking it for the drive down and back, I dont need it while I am there.
For starters... Why?

Secondly, are you licensed to carry it in ALL states you plan to cross?

Tim_4

Fun fact: A gun owner with a valid permit may take their firearm to work in the state of Florida, as long as it stays LOCKED in their car. Disney employees are specifically excluded from this law because of the amount of explosives (fireworks) stored on property.

jakeman

Is nt this what the Disney security are for ? Most of them are ex forces etc apparently. As a person from the UK , this rubbish terrifies me. Guns should not be permitted in Disney, what stops some terrorist freak, or nut job kid going into Disney and shooting people?
If this were to happen, I would wager they aren't going to inquire about Disney's weapons policy.

You cannot tell who is good or bad period, only Disney security forces should be allowed to carry firearms. I am saying this as someone who can shoot pretty darn well, but would never in a million years feel the need to carry a firearm , unless of course I was in the middle of Iraq or other such war zone.
Again, it's private property and up to Disney to dictate those limits.

Personally I dont give a rats what your constitional rights are
We know. That's why we got into a minor disagreement over sovereignty a couple hundred years ago. ;)

...firearms should not be around children. Also the clip should not of been in the weapon, or the weapon loaded ready to fire at a moments will, that prat wasn't on a stand two on a armed forces training excercise, he was on a ride full of children!!!! Sorry if i offend anyone, but i feel strongly about this. That weapon could of done some serious damage in any hand.
Again, that's a matter of opinion rendered moot by Disney's own policy.

bebert

For starters... Why?

Secondly, are you licensed to carry it in ALL states you plan to cross?
For protection, that is why.
I am not licensed to carry in all states, that is why it will be stored in the car according to the requirements of each state. I have done my research on this and am very responsible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It does not supersede FL law, and he can only be charged with tresspass if he refused to leave promptly after being told to do so. I think he can be denied admittance in the future, but I'm not sure.

He might lose his CCW permit since his firearm was exposed in a blatant manner, not concealed.

Do you by chance have some sort of list of reasons why a CCW permit can be revoked? I was unable to find anything other than the official law that reads like stereo instructions. Also in my search I cam across an article written in 2008 when Florida was abut to hit 1 million CCW permits. That article noted that to date only 4 CCW had been revoked. If that number is remotely correct is seems like the only reason this person will loose their CCW is due to the attention it has received.

jakeman

For protection, that is why.
I am not licensed to carry in all states, that is why it will be stored in the car according to the requirements of each state. I have done my research on this and am very responsible.
I just duct tape mine to the hood.

BoarderPhreak

So to recap...

1) This guy was a grade-A moron for;
a) Bringing his gun to WDW, which is not allowed by Disney
b) Keeping his gun in his back pocket instead of a proper holster
c) Losing it
2) Guns are legal in FL if properly licensed (which he was)
3) Guns are still legal to own in the USA
4) Terrorists are evil bastards
5) Disney has its own security plus local LE
6) Bag checks are a reasonable compromise
7) Further debates about guns and laws in the USA are really not the realm of WDWMagic discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom