Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebert

Maybe this incident will get WDW security on its toes and find new ways to reduce the number of unwanted firearms in the parks without having to do full body cavity searches. Notice I said reduce, not eliminate. You can never 100% eliminate stupidity by some guests.

draybook

Maybe this incident will get WDW security on its toes and find new ways to reduce the number of unwanted firearms in the parks without having to do full body cavity searches. Notice I said reduce, not eliminate. You can never 100% eliminate stupidity by some guests.

It would be nice, but I'm really struggling to see a way that doesn't involve metal detectors or some other form of a scanning machine. And we can all see how that would add to the inbound traffic situation are park opening.

meyeet

Notice I said reduce, not eliminate. You can never 100% eliminate stupidity by some guests.

Agree. Everyone should remember that crazy guy on a college campus a month or so ago that was walking around with a scalpel just stabbing people. Security is not going to be able to eliminate pocket knives. Just another reason to stay aware of your surroundings and those around you even while in the Disney Bubble.

Mark In KY

Guys, remember to think before hitting that reply button.
Sorry, I was trying to make a funny about "criminal anarchy". I think that Ledger's portrayal of The Joker was so spot on as to make it impossible for any other actor to EVER play that part again.

GrumpyFan

It would be nice, but I'm really struggling to see a way that doesn't involve metal detectors or some other form of a scanning machine. And we can all see how that would add to the inbound traffic situation are park opening.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope this never happens. But, due to the rising number or seemingly crazies in the world intent on harming others, I fear we will someday. Sad, yet, I don't see a way around it. Depressing thought.

I couldn't stay away. After riding this thrilling coaster of a discussion yesterday, I swore I wouldn't get on again, yet here I am! Wheeeee!
Now, how long can we go before it gets shutdown again due to somebody doing something stupid... (like me). ;)

Mark In KY

Can you imagine the length of the lines then? There aren't too many people, even those without bags, who would make it thru a metal detector. Belt buckles, cameras, and on and on. It'd be just like the airport; take off the belt, take off the shoes, empty your pockets, show us the documentation of your artificial knee/hip or pacemaker, and so on. A nightmare in the making.

bebert

Can you imagine the length of the lines then? There aren't too many people, even those without bags, who would make it thru a metal detector. Belt buckles, cameras, and on and on. It'd be just like the airport; take off the belt, take off the shoes, empty your pockets, show us the documentation of your artificial knee/hip or pacemaker, and so on. A nightmare in the making.

That would shutdown WDW within months. Getting into the parks now is sometimes unbearable.
UGHH..what a disaster that would be.

BoarderPhreak

Disney will not install metal detectors, x-ray machines or start pat-downs. It is physically impossible to institute any of these with the sheer volume of visitors attending the parks. And why should they? Sure it's nice to extend the "bubble" to include being "100%" safe from bad intentions... But the rest of life (aside from airports) makes no such guarantees. People with bad intentions can just as easily strike at DTD, the parking lots , malls - or Universal for that matter. You can't protect everyone from everything, all the time (and I don't expect Disney to). And don't give me that, "if it keeps my family safe..." bit. If you're THAT worried about your family's safety - stay home, lock the doors and arm yourselves.

Mr Bill

I don't see Disney going to metal detectors, but I've been through them at Universal on one of their busiest nights of the year, and it caused no significant delays or other logistical issues. I don't think it's quite as impractical as some others do.

PhilharMagician

Every room has a safe.

If I leave my house with my handgun for hunting or to head to the range, it stays with me everywhere I go until I get home where it can be locked back up. If I stop @ a grocery store, mall or anywhere you could imagine I will carry it concealed as required. I am responsible for that gun and what happens to it. Hotel safe is not really that safe. It is a good deterrent but if someone wants in, they will get in.

I would never imagine going to Disney with a gun and would not leave the house with a gun knowing I was going to a theme park. Just unimaginable.

luv

Getting into the parks is enough of a drag now. I don't want to add TSA-like security to it.

The security would stop incidents like the Irresponsible Dopey Guy one, but it can't stop people who want to kill from entering the parks with guns, so I honestly wouldn't feel any safer.

Bag checks never made me feel safer, either, but now we have to stand around and wait for that.

I pray Disney doesn't add more time to the lines.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think that we can shut this down unless there is any further information on this incident. People are passionate about this issue, which is why they need to contact their legislators about either repealing the 2nd Amendment, or making sure it is upheld - or something in the middle. But it won't be resolved by arguing on a Disney forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom