Latest Info on Midway Mania!

CaptainMichael

Also, for those wanting Monster's Inc. and The Incredibles instead, you shall get your wish. Monster's Inc. is going into the TK building in the Magic Kingdom (being constructed as we speak), and an Incredibles attraction is rumored for the Disney-MGM Studios. The ride system would be some form of a robocoaster...something that can easily be accessed on this site by doing a search.

SirGoofy

SkipKid said:
[crazyidea]

Okay, so instead of it just being based off toy story, like was stated, how about a ride that goes through all of disney/pixar's CG movies. You could fit that into the theme of the studios as a park, experiencing animation's newest innovation, including a trip into the 3D environments of the movies. So you can go through the worlds of toy story, monsters inc, incredibles, and even chicken little (it doesn't have to be just pixar). Not sure how to justify the shooting in each scene... but something could be thought of.

but that probably won't happen
[/crazyidea]

soo... that patent was filed on my birthday! :lookaroun
I'm off to play me some Duck Hunt.

OMG! A giant game of DUCK HUNT! BRILLIANT!:lol:

But seriously, I would like something that went through a bunch of movies and you fought Dsiney Villians from each. Hey that would be a cool idea for a Kingdom Hearts ride. Or maybe even a Muppet ride. It's like they bought those characters just to say that they bought them.

Nicole

I'm all for a new ride at the Studios, and an interactive one at that, but what worries me as a motion-sickness sufferer is this idea of four people facing in different directions. I either need to ride facing forward or else be in control of any spin (i.e. BLSRS) or else I'm one unhappy guest.

I think that Toy Story is a popular theme just because there are so many directions they can go with it: Rex, Potato Head, Bo Peep, Green Army Men, Woody & Jessie.

However, if this is still in the early development phases and Cars is a runaway hit, could it possibly be re-themed before opening to be a Cars themed attraction??

tirian

Read the patent carefully, especially claims 64 down.

It seems that each rider will be wearing 3-D glasses, goggles, or helmets with lights attached to them. Wherever you look, the illumination will set off a camera (electronic sensor) that, it turn, triggers a projector to create an image in that space...all within milliseconds. You will first see an X-ray of the toy (and "toy" is specifically mentioned within the patent); shooting it will make the toy fully appear and interact with you. For example, the patent alludes to a Christmas scene in which you figure out which toys are in which present, then shoot the ones that correspond to your mission. Thus, if your mission is to locate toy tanks for the soldiers, you would ride through the attraction, looking around with X-ray vision for tanks; finding them, you would shoot them, and they would both fully appear and do things.

This attraction is an excellent way to provide new experiences each time you ride, and it will definitely replace Spiderman as the most cutting-edge ride technology in a theme park.

Edit: Steve or anyone else, feel free to use this as an explanation of how the attraction works. Everyone else, keep in mind that Disney's patenting something doesn't mean that they will do it. I for one highly doubt that Disney is going to place lightbulbs on people's heads. Maybe the light source will be part of the gun.

imagineersrock

Ok, add me to the list of those under-whelmed by this idea...

A Toy Story interactive shooting ride at the studios? In the old sound stages? ...Really?

You see, in my opinion the Disney-MGM Studios has fallen pretty far behind the other 3 parks recently and definitely needs something to help pick itself back up... I agree with the fact that they need something new, I'm just not sure this is the answer. Perhaps I'm also just bitter about this because of the fact that it it rumored to take place in the sound stages---effectively one of the final nails in the coffin of removing any chance of the Disney-MGM Studios being a real working production facility and theme park anymore, now becoming nothing more than a show-business-themed theme park. (I realize this transformation began like a decade ago, but still troubles me to this day though.)

Finally, does this ride technology not sound extremely familiar to anyone else here..? This sounds almost entirely like a ride-based version of that "put the fire out" game over in Innoventions.

socalkdg

Just get ride of the Midway in the title and replace it with Movie. Thus Movie Mania or Movie Mania 3D.

Sounds like great technology and being a passholder at the DLR can't wait to see it at DCA(the pier area needs a great attraction).

speck76

imagineersrock said:
Ok, add me to the list of those under-whelmed by this idea...

A Toy Story interactive shooting ride at the studios? In the old sound stages? ...Really?

You see, in my opinion the Disney-MGM Studios has fallen pretty far behind the other 3 parks recently and definitely needs something to help pick itself back up... I agree with the fact that they need something new, I'm just not sure this is the answer. Perhaps I'm also just bitter about this because of the fact that it it rumored to take place in the sound stages---effectively one of the final nails in the coffin of removing any chance of the Disney-MGM Studios being a real working production facility and theme park anymore, now becoming nothing more than a show-business-themed theme park. (I realize this transformation began like a decade ago, but still troubles me to this day though.)

Finally, does this ride technology not sound extremely familiar to anyone else here..? This sounds almost entirely like a ride-based version of that "put the fire out" game over in Innoventions.

that coffin was nailed shut years ago....

Epcot82Guy

I think the attraction itself sounds outstanding.

I, too, am VERY wary about the theming. If they extend Animation down the street, this could be very cool (I would love to see the Animation of Disney, two shows, this attraction featuring a large interactive post show on CGI and perhaps a NBC ride with stop animation as the post show. I know that is wishful thinking, but it would be a great way to bring together the old (studios) and new (need for solid attractions). If not, I guess we are still in "focus on the attraction and not how it fits" mode, then? That is a big step in the right direction, though, because the attraction sounds really solid. I'm not a Toy Story fan (I actually - putting flame gear on - think this would have been great for Stitch), but it works.

disneydaft

tirian said:
Read the patent carefully, especially claims 64 down.

It seems that each rider will be wearing 3-D glasses, goggles, or helmets with lights attached to them. Wherever you look, the illumination will set off a camera (electronic sensor) that, it turn, triggers a projector to create an image in that space...all within milliseconds. You will first see an X-ray of the toy (and "toy" is specifically mentioned within the patent); shooting it will make the toy fully appear and interact with you. For example, the patent alludes to a Christmas scene in which you figure out which toys are in which present, then shoot the ones that correspond to your mission. Thus, if your mission is to locate toy tanks for the soldiers, you would ride through the attraction, looking around with X-ray vision for tanks; finding them, you would shoot them, and they would both fully appear and do things.

This attraction is an excellent way to provide new experiences each time you ride, and it will definitely replace Spiderman as the most cutting-edge ride technology in a theme park.

Edit: Steve or anyone else, feel free to use this as an explanation of how the attraction works. Everyone else, keep in mind that Disney's patenting something doesn't mean that they will do it. I for one highly doubt that Disney is going to place lightbulbs on people's heads. Maybe the light source will be part of the gun.

Has anybody ever played "Luigi's Mansion" on the Nintendo Gamecube?

It is played in a similar sort of way, you shine a torch at the ghosts then use a vacum cleaner to suck them up.

If it follows that sort of idea it would be quite a cool attraction.

bassman

TTATraveler said:
Not to knock Toy Story, but I really think The Incredibles was one of the most well done Pixar movies to date. Unfortunately the parks are so saturated with Toy Story and Finding Nemo, that Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles have sat on the back burner. At least Monsters Inc. is finally getting some attention, but what about The Incredibles?

couldn't have said it better myself.

KevinPage

I hope I'm wrong but this sounds like a "suped up" version of MEN IN BLACK with Toy Story characters.

Generally I don't want interactive rides where you shoot things,1 of them is enough with Buzz.

I like to sit back, relax and be entertained, not "work" for it. :D :D :D

tirian

disneydaft said:
Has anybody ever played "Luigi's Mansion" on the Nintendo Gamecube?

It is played in a similar sort of way, you shine a torch at the ghosts then use a vacum cleaner to suck them up.

If it follows that sort of idea it would be quite a cool attraction.

That is the idea of the ride.

Pete C

People are wondering how this ties into the Studios...here's a question: how does Aerosmith and Twilight Zone tie in? Twilight Zone is a TV show that was produced on CBS. What does that have to do with MGM? And Aerosmith is just a rock band! At least Midway Mania features Pixar characters, which are in Disney movies. That makes way more sense than ToT and RnR.

As for the attraction...it sounds awesome, but I agree the Incredibles should be the star of this attraction. Toy Story is old news.

AndyMagic

Sounds VERY interesting and I'm officially excited. However, I have a question and perhaps Lee or someone can answer it. What is the proposed story for the attraction as a whole? I know we are shooting at things in a Toy Story environment but WHY are we shooting at things? The story itself seems like it is going to be fairly contrived. I too think the technology lends itself perfectly for an Incredibles attraction. Just thinking of the possibilities makes me foam at the mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom