Latest Info on Midway Mania!

Buford

Big "IF" on that one.
Could go in Tomorrowland. Looks to be dead at DCA. May never happen at all. Could morph into a whole different attraction altogether. :veryconfu
wow.... I bet the R&D costs for that were tremendous.....

jedimaster1227

Big "IF" on that one.
Could go in Tomorrowland. Looks to be dead at DCA. May never happen at all. Could morph into a whole different attraction altogether. :veryconfu

I expect it to take the place of the Rocket Rods (former PeopleMover) at Disneyland. The track hasn't been in use since late 2000. Lee, you said that it will supposidly utilize existing technology correct? I can think of no better example of technology and existing (unused) track sitting around other than the former Rocket Rods track. We have seen Imagineers up there several times this past year and I don't think that they are just going up there for the view. I could be wrong though... :lookaroun

Mr Bill

Big "IF" on that one.
Taking up the area from the old Skyway building to the stage?

Lee

Adventurer
Taking up the area from the old Skyway building to the stage?

Kinda. Not ALL that space...but some....if they were to go with that particular concept.

I expect it to take the place of the Rocket Rods (former PeopleMover) at Disneyland.

Same movie...different concept than the one I was thinking of. I like it, though. Pods on the track would be pretty sweet.

jedimaster1227

Kinda. Not ALL that space...but some....if they were to go with that particular concept.

Same movie...different concept than the one I was thinking of. I like it, though. Pods on the track would be pretty sweet.

Well, taking from your past statements (from other threads that both of us have participated on), I am guessing you are referring to a system similar to the one utilized in Tokyo DisneySea's Stormrider. If this is the case, I could see some potential, but the story would have to be much less farfetched than the one in Tokyo (of course, with the Incredibles, that wouldn't be hard to do).

For the pods, I think that it would be a great way to bring Tomorrowland back together. I have been thinking about the track and the ride system itself and I was wondering if you could answer this question: Would it be possible to have the pods bank (or lean) during the turns, rather than having to redo the entire track again? If this were the case, then we could see a fairly inexpensive attraction that would utilize the large track run that was formerly used by the Rocket Rods.

csm

Would it be possible to have the pods bank (or lean) during the turns, rather than having to redo the entire track again? If this were the case, then we could see a fairly inexpensive attraction that would utilize the large track run that was formerly used by the Rocket Rods.

I think you miss the real key point there though: The slowing / banking issue is not primarily one of rider comfort. It's much more a vehicle taking a relatively high speed launch into a completely flat unbanked turn. It's the destruction it would cause to the under-body of the vehicle over time that's the real key. Banking the pod would do nothing to solve the maintenance nightmare it would become. Come on - pieces of the Rods fell off in it's very limited run, and that was *with* virtually coming to a complete stop before every turn. The only thing that is going to work there is a peoplemover.

RSoxNo1

My understanding was that an incredibles attraction would utilize a Robo Coaster. The problem is, this doesn't enable the attraction to have a very high capacity.

Lee

Adventurer
Well, taking from your past statements (from other threads that both of us have participated on), I am guessing you are referring to a system similar to the one utilized in Tokyo DisneySea's Stormrider.

Nope.

My understanding was that an incredibles attraction would utilize a Robo Coaster.

Yep. That's the concept I was told of. Fairly blue sky...capacity is an issue...but maybe do-able.

csm

Nope.

Yep. That's the concept I was told of. Fairly blue sky...capacity is an issue...but maybe do-able.

Actually, that's not *entirely* true. Since the concept was canceled (d'oh!) I don't mind commenting briefly on it- Incredibles was to be a trackless ride system ala Pooh's Hunny Hunt. At one point in the ride, the trackless vehicle was to engage onto a Kuka Roboarm to make the vehicle "fly" for the rest of the ride. Capacity would not have been that big of an issue because it was a completely different application of the technology than everyone assumed it would be.

I'm not entirely positive why the project was canceled. I know it was to be the next big attraction for DCA, and then Cars was put on the fast track to develop it first. At some point soon after, for the time being at least, Incredibles was just abandoned.

Lee

Adventurer
Actually, that's not *entirely* true. Since the concept was canceled (d'oh!) I don't mind commenting briefly on it- Incredibles was to be a trackless ride system ala Pooh's Hunny Hunt. At one point in the ride, the trackless vehicle was to engage onto a Kuka Roboarm to make the vehicle "fly" for the rest of the ride. Capacity would not have been that big of an issue because it was a completely different application of the technology than everyone assumed it would be.

Yep. That's pretty close to what I heard. I still heard capacity as an issue, though.

I'm not entirely positive why the project was canceled. I know it was to be the next big attraction for DCA, and then Cars was put on the fast track to develop it first. At some point soon after, for the time being at least, Incredibles was just abandoned.

I heard a couple reasons. One was money, obviously. Another was the themeing issues with dropping it into DCA. Last I heard the concept had gotten into line as one of a few potential projects for MK...but that's been a while.

ToTBellHop

I can understand the theme issue...at least Cars is already set in the American Southwest. Will it be part of its own new land? From what I understand of its location, it doesn't really fit in with any of the areas it will be near, like the Pacific Wharf. It makes more sense as another subland of the Golden State. The California climate will be much better for this ride. It was always foolish to build a ride in Florida that must close in the rain...a bit of a drag in the summer.

Will they really use two tracks on this ride? I could just easily see that being one of the first things to be cut to save money, though it would be cool if they do it. I could just see people being stupid and trying to give high-fives to people in the next car...

DisneyMusician2

Incredibles would have been more fun, though. As far as the Rocket Rods track, I would just love to see a redesigned peoplemover back there. It immensely popular in Fla, and I don't see why bringing back a classic attraction that does well would be bad for the park in general.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As far as the Rocket Rods track, I would just love to see a redesigned peoplemover back there. It immensely popular in Fla, and I don't see why bringing back a classic attraction that does well would be bad for the park in general.
Why?? $$$!

Let`s give it 5 years, and with a bit of luck and a prevailing wind Tomorrowland may be back to it`s kinetic original self (Orbitron as well anyone?)

The Peoplemover has so many obstacles in it`s way sadly. The entire original drive system was removed for RR - a totally new drive and guide way would be needed (assuming the RR one hasn`t rusted into place) - let`s hope for the WEDway system or similar and not rubber wheels! Next you`d need a new ride control system, new cars - basically almost a complete new attraction. Plus this is hoping the structural damage caused by RR is fixable to load bearing standard.

Here`s hoping.

wbt06

toy story

this is my first post

i know the conversation hase moved away from MM but i saw the concept art and saw the gus where atatched to the ride itself. my favorit shoting ride would have to be MIB. the only reason for this is the guns are on wires. you can pick them up so aiming is easy. with buzz i can never aim right. i am six one and when i sit dowm the guns are to low. if they could make the guns like old western guns that you could pick up i think the ride would be much better than MIB and buzz

csm

I heard a couple reasons. One was money, obviously. Another was the themeing issues with dropping it into DCA. Last I heard the concept had gotten into line as one of a few potential projects for MK...but that's been a while.

Actually, the biggest reason I heard is that Lasseter really loves the Cars movie and wanted it pushed to the fast-track, but I don't know why that would involve cancelling Incredibles all together...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom