Latest Info on Midway Mania!

CaptainMichael

dxer07002 said:
Any idea what the name of the attraction will be? Midway Mania does not sound like a good name for MGM....
That is just the working title for the DCA version.

I came up with Toy Story: Play It! :hammer:

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
STR8FAN2005 said:
That is just the working title for the DCA version.

I came up with Toy Story: Play It! :hammer:

I would second it but you forgot something...

Toy Story: Play it.... 3D !!

bassman

this sounds like a cool ride but there are 2 things wrong with it
  1. toy story is what is supposedly going to be used as its inspiration,i think disney could think of another theme for it.
  2. if it is going to definatly be toy story themed, what has the name midway mania have to do with toy story?,midway mania is a computer game that features the most popular midway games,its on the ps2 and pc i think.
other than these little floors, it sound cool.
just not toy story and a better name for it.

CaptainMichael

bassman said:
this sounds like a cool ride but there are 2 things wrong with it
  1. toy story is what is supposedly going to be used as its inspiration,i think disney could think of another theme for it.
  2. if it is going to definatly be toy story themed, what has the name midway mania have to do with toy story?,midway mania is a computer game that features the most popular midway games,its on the ps2 and pc i think.
other than these little floors, it sound cool.
just not toy story and a better name for it.
Midway Mania is the working title for the attraction being developed for Disney's California Adventure. Ours will use the same technology, but it will have a different theme:wave:

DisneyDellsDude

STR8FAN2005 said:
Midway Mania is the working title for the attraction being developed for Disney's California Adventure. Ours will use the same technology, but it will have a different theme:wave:

That's great because I just don't think Toy Story would have been good at all...

SirGoofy

Well now that we know more about this ride I can comment on it. Sounds like a neat ride system with a crappy story. I'm tired of Toy Story. If it has to be Pixar, why can't it be Monsters Inc. or Incredibles. I'm tired of Toy Story. The movie is ten years old and the parks are filled with it. Theres movies double its age with nothing. But the ride system does sound cool.

tirian

figment1988 said:
it's really nice to see something good being added to the soundstage areas, by the way, i hope the midway mania guns are more like universal's Men in Black ride (by that, i mean that the guns aren't mounted to the ride vehicle).

The "Toy Story"-themed ride at DCA will basically be a cross of Spiderman and Men in Black. Imagine riding through the "Toy Story" film and shooting things along the way...

...yeah, it will be like that!

I, too, can confirm that this was being seriously considered; but like Steve and Lee, didn't know that it was approved. Woo hoo! This will be fantastic. Lee, will it be identical to DCA's Midway Mania, or are they still thinking about changing the theme? I highly doubt that they'll spend that much money at once; they didn't even change out the film for Soarin' when it went to Epcot.

I understand people's reluctance to have yet more "Toy Story" references in the park; but considering that the film is just as ground-breaking as "Snow White," it makes sense to feature it in the Studios. Contrary to what some might fear, WDI is not trying to "Pixar-ize" everything. It's just that Pixar's films are some of the only animated hits Disney has had for over 10 years! It's the Disney company's own fault that they haven't produced many recent films worth turning into attractions. About the only successful one, "Lilo and Stitch," became SGE...and we all know how that turned out! :rolleyes:

Edit: The name at the Studios will not be Midway Mania.

Lee

Adventurer
The name of the attraction at WDW could change...but it (as I hear it) will indeed feature Toy Story characters...except for Buzz.

bassman

STR8FAN2005 said:

oh good.
i like what others above me have said,the cross between spiderman and MIB.
sound cool.

TTATraveler

Sounds like an interesting ride concept and something definately needed at MGM. I would have rathered it be themed around The Incredibles or Monsters Inc. Now to do something with the Sounds Dangerous and former Superstar TV theaters......

bassman

TTATraveler said:
Sounds like an interesting ride concept and something definately needed at MGM. I would have rathered it be themed around The Incredibles or Monsters Inc. Now to do something with the Sounds Dangerous and former Superstar TV theaters......

the incredibles would a cool themeing idea.
i loved the film,so a ride based on it would be great to me.

MiklCraw4d

Connor002 said:
Interesting...
However, I think I'll wait a while before passing judgment on this one.
For some reason, I'm not... "thrilled" by the concept.
Eh... *shrug*
I agree... the tech sounds nifty, but the theme leaves me cold. I'm about Pixared out at this point. I'm afraid it's going to get to the point where it affects my love of the movies; at least when they were turning the parks into Poohland I didn't care for those stories to begin with.

At least I don't have a problem with the location... it's on the "animation" side of the park with Mermaid and the Animation attraction... perhaps they could adapt a more cohesive theme for that whole area a la the 'Toon Studios' at DSP. And not having it behind Al's Toy Barn still leaves me with my ridiculous faint hope of the Muppet Movie Ride some day :)

Still, hoping for a name change ("Midway Madness" makes no sense in that location, as opposed to being perfect for DCA) and I'd give them $5 to make it something besides Toy Story.

michael

MiklCraw4d

speck76 said:
I think the technology sounds so 'new" that I am having a hard time judging how I feel.....

I don't really like to talk about my feelings

LOL

I'm having the same problem because it's hard for me to get a grasp on what this will really be like. I'm hoping for something more Spiderman-ish which at least incorporates some 'real' set pieces in with the film. The idea of just being in a room with four flat-panel screens on each side of you leaves me cold. The integration of high-rez computer screens with real sets, though, could be cool.

Hey, maybe it'll actually be 'If You Had Wings: The Next Generation'!

MiklCraw4d

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
the technology sounds exciting, but how can they justify putting in another shooter with Toy Story Characters? just cuz its in a new park?. I hope its more than just some random Toy Story characters instructing where to shoot...cuz that would be pretty lame.

I pray they include a story arc of some kind and they can justify having more Toy Story ppl in WDW making us shoot at things.

Haha well said... Toy Story wasn't exactly known for its gunplay, but you wouldn't know it from the rides. Maybe they're trying to get an NRA sponsorship :) It does seem odd to have two separate shooting rides based on the same movie.

Maybe someone at WDI is just on a hellbent quest to get ________ Tracy Crimestoppers finally made after 16 years...

EDIT: Umm, ok... make that 'Richard' Tracy Crimestoppers

TTATraveler

bassman said:
the incredibles would a cool themeing idea.
i loved the film,so a ride based on it would be great to me.

Not to knock Toy Story, but I really think The Incredibles was one of the most well done Pixar movies to date. Unfortunately the parks are so saturated with Toy Story and Finding Nemo, that Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles have sat on the back burner. At least Monsters Inc. is finally getting some attention, but what about The Incredibles?

MiklCraw4d

That patent application made my brain asplode. No wonder Disney has so many lawyers.

I want the beam that's "mounted on a ring"

Just trying to read all that gave me a headache. Sounds neat though. Reminds me vaguely of the old arcade game Silent Scope.

It sounds similar to what I thought the Tokyo DL Monsters ride was going to be; I thought that was going to involve the use of flashlights for interactivity. Is this going to be the same ride system with a different theme?

I agree that I'd much prefer an Incredibles theme to Toy Story. Make the beams Frozone Rays and you've got yourself a ride. Then again, if they're wanting to do the robocoaster thing with the Incredibles at MGM you'd have another theming overload...

michael

Skippy

[crazyidea]

Okay, so instead of it just being based off toy story, like was stated, how about a ride that goes through all of disney/pixar's CG movies. You could fit that into the theme of the studios as a park, experiencing animation's newest innovation, including a trip into the 3D environments of the movies. So you can go through the worlds of toy story, monsters inc, incredibles, and even chicken little (it doesn't have to be just pixar). Not sure how to justify the shooting in each scene... but something could be thought of.

but that probably won't happen
[/crazyidea]

soo... that patent was filed on my birthday! :lookaroun
I'm off to play me some Duck Hunt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom