Kids Thrown Out Of Disneyworld

Do you agree with Disney's decision to thow these kids out?

• Yes

Votes: 411 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dizpins14

No where in the article does it say what time they were asked to leave. "Middle of the night" could mean 9 p.m. just to make their kicking out sound more sensationalized. If it was 3 in the morning, yea Disney probably could have waited until morning. Where else are there people going to stay? I doubt it was 3 in the morning and rules are rules.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
good.... buh-bye... pop warner is the reason why I am glad I wasnt there this weekend... well that and mousefest...lol.

Chape19714

Waiting until morning may have been the "nice" thing to do, but middle of the night would seem to ensure that most of the people you want to kick out are indeed in their rooms. Less people to hunt down that way. Plus they said the incident happened in the evening, and Disney likely wanted them out ASAP before something else happened. 1am was probably the soonest Disney could get their stuff together and make it happen.
Excellent Point

Disneycoog

Completely disagree with the way this matter was handled. In particular, I disagree with the notion that each and every family was forced to leave in the middle of the night due to the actions of a small number of people.

Parents often do not have the luxury to choose the sports teams their children play for. Similarly, parents have very little say in which children (and thus the familiees from which they come) participate on the same teams as their own children, let alone which children participate throughout the entire league. To hold the families of policy-abiding children accountable with such harsh consequences is severe and unwarranted.

I understand that the rules say what they say, and I am in agreement that, as guests under the program, all families are subject to the policies. Still, that does not mean that each and every family should have been ejected in the middle of the night for the actions of others for which they have no control.

The results of this incidentare sad, and seem laced, at the very least, with classism.

I was part of a team that traveld to Austin texas years ago to play baseball. The hotel rooms were destroyed and things were stolen. I was not one of the ones that participated in any wrong doing. I was subject to the same punishment as other because we were a team. You have a right to disagree, but Disney did what it was suppose to do. remember a few bad apples spoils a bunch. Life Lessons are hard to learn.

Eyorefan

I agree with Disney on this one.

I think the parents who had to wake their babies up in the middle of the night should be taking it up with the kids who got in a fight.

JimboJones123

Asking the parents about the kids actions does nothing to forward this story, nor does polling the other parents int he group. This story was about Disney's enforcement of a policy and had nothing to do with the groups actions or there feelings on it.

How can you not say whether the punishment is right or wrong? The group in question had individuals involved in a fight which clearly violated Disney's standard agreement that all large groups visting Disney agree to abide by.

I disagree with you that it is a harsh punishement. It's not, it's the punishment Disney spelled out clearly in their policy. Now people are prodded to feel sympathy? That's a big part of the problem today, the media is always looking for excuses to justify poor behavior. Disney in this article is being portrayed as the bad guy by waking up families with their infants in the middle of the night and tossing them out on the streets. Fact is, individuals within these groups broke the rules and everyone in the group had to pay the price.

Finally, I don't thing anyone is flaming all 100 families, they're flaming the ones responsible.

Didja read the article? Titled
Kids Thrown Out Of Disney

It wasn't titled kids get into fight at Disney and are punished according to their contract.

It isn't a long article either. There is one quote from one parent.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

Doesn't say if she's a parent of one of the kids in the altercation. She isn't DRIVING since she's from Hawaii. She may have a flight that's still 5 days away and now has to find a place to stay. She can't just decide to DRIVE back home. That might not be an expense her family can handle. Didja also know that many of these people come on fund raisers as well???

The more I think about it the harder the punishment seems if the families not directly related to the incident were treated.

We can all stand behind the agreement that life at WDW during early December would be so much better without Pop Warner. Anybody that has ever been at this time will gladly tell you at least 3-4 ways the groups have made their trips less pleasant than if they didn't exist. And that's not the point. I personally would rather not go than stay at ASM again that week. But if you can't see how this is a bit much, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

And as far as the article goes, it is a jaded article. Not there to tell the whole story. Anybody that reads a paper or watches the news that thinks they are getting a non-bias story are fooling themselves.

Sounds like we're on the same point of view here.

But as far as flaming all families. Yes. It's been the point of most of the replies on this thread.

Get over your hate for Pop Warner and look at it from another point of view.

Let's say it's MAKE-A-WISH instead. A few Make-a-Wish kids get into a fight at the parks and violate their contract terms. I'm guessing we have a TOTALLY different agruement here.

Do we then say that the families of the 30 Make-A-Wish kids that are here for a special Make-A-Wish event are then evicted. Make-A-Wish kids can fight too. Big Luke (So, was that Small Wonder or Punky Brewster or Silver Spoons, or something else entirely?) might not keep a kid from throwing down if they have their feelings hurt. Would all the other families be then expected to evacuate because of a few sour apples?

WDWFREAK53

:lol:

I think they were within their rights to kick them out, but maybe it would've been a little less harsh if they would've waited 'til morning...

:shrug:

What if, during the meantime...another fight broke out and someone got seriously hurt? Then, Disney would've known about the previous offense, and given them permission to stay on property knowing that the possibility of another offense could've been brewing.

Look on the positive side of this...if you were staying at that resort...the lines for the buses would've been FANTASTIC!

elcodfish

have to do it

Disney had to ask them to leave ASAP because, like others have said, you never know about retaliation. Also, you don't want to get into an area of who was involved and who wasn't because it is a he said she said thing. Also, just because a kid isn't involved in the first problem does not mean tomorrow he wouldn't find someone from that other team to take revenge...

palmage

Your marching band must have been an exception to the general rule that marching bands are usually unruly and violent. I mean, with all the spit valve fights, the wet-drumstick-in-the-ear gags, and the constant humiliating taunts like, "You call that a Sousaphone?!!!" It's amazing that your band never had any physical altercations.
That is flat too funny :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Chape19714

It wasn't titled kids get into fight at Disney and are punished according to their contract.

The more I think about it the harder the punishment seems if the families not directly related to the incident were treated.

Let's say it's MAKE-A-WISH instead. A few Make-a-Wish kids get into a fight at the parks and violate their contract terms. I'm guessing we have a TOTALLY different agruement here.

Do we then say that the families of the 30 Make-A-Wish kids that are here for a special Make-A-Wish event are then evicted. Make-A-Wish kids can fight too. Big Luke (So, was that Small Wonder or Punky Brewster or Silver Spoons, or something else entirely?) might not keep a kid from throwing down if they have their feelings hurt. Would all the other families be then expected to evacuate because of a few sour apples?

Yes, no one is exempt. This includes any organization. Nothing against Pop Warner, but it seems that Kids in Football are more physically able to have a fight than those from Make-A-Wish. Nothing against either organization. But, if Make-a-Wish were in the same situation, I would still fully support Disney's Policy.

And although the title only briefly mentions the contract in there, I have personally read the contract, so I feel I can comment on what it implies.

But you are correct, the news slants things the way they want.

Nemo14

It isn't a long article either. There is one quote from one parent.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

Doesn't say if she's a parent of one of the kids in the altercation. She isn't DRIVING since she's from Hawaii. She may have a flight that's still 5 days away and now has to find a place to stay. She can't just decide to DRIVE back home. That might not be an expense her family can handle. Didja also know that many of these people come on fund raisers as well???

Then that's just something she would need to settle with the other team member's families. She paid her money and took her chances that these kids would behave , and they didn't. Plain and simple! Disney did the right thing this time.

We can all stand behind the agreement that life at WDW during early December would be so much better without Pop Warner. Anybody that has ever been at this time will gladly tell you at least 3-4 ways the groups have made their trips less pleasant than if they didn't exist. And that's not the point. I personally would rather not go than stay at ASM again that week. But if you can't see how this is a bit much, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

And as far as the article goes, it is a jaded article. Not there to tell the whole story. Anybody that reads a paper or watches the news that thinks they are getting a non-bias story are fooling themselves.

Sounds like we're on the same point of view here.

But as far as flaming all families. Yes. It's been the point of most of the replies on this thread.

!

In a word, YES :)

PhilharMagician

I hope this is a good lesson learned. It is hard to believe what parents allow their kids to do in WDW. I really feel that parents can let there young children run throughout WDW like they are in their own living room. Now I do not mean just around the resort or parks, but I mean transportation to and from the parks and resorts. Two examples from our trip a few weeks ago was a boy about 8 or 9 got onto the bus at SSR to head to AK by himself. Another was 4 kids show up to the Artist Palett in SSR with out any parent or adult for breakfast approx ages 4, 6, 8 & 9. They get their breakfast and they go to pay as I am standing in line trying to pay for my families breakfast. The boy hands the cashier a room card and a $20.00 bill. It took a minute for the cashier to figure out what was going on, but the boy said his parents were in the room and sent them out to get breakfast. The kid leaves with the food, now I pay for mine. I then head out to the dining room to find my DW & DD and find a mess. Aparently the boy brought the food out and put it on the table, then his 4 Y/O sis was leaning and reaching over the table and WHAMMO the table flipped over and the girl got hurt and the food was all over the place. Now all of the kids are crying and someone at a nearby table went over to help along with 2 CM's. This would not have happened if they were supervised. Luckily nobody ended up in the ER. In the end the person that went over to the table to console the kids ended up buying more food for the kids. :brick: I just don't get how partents allow this.:hammer:

I was part of a team that traveld to Austin texas years ago to play baseball. The hotel rooms were destroyed and things were stolen. I was not one of the ones that participated in any wrong doing. I was subject to the same punishment as other because we were a team. You have a right to disagree, but Disney did what it was suppose to do. remember a few bad apples spoils a bunch. Life Lessons are hard to learn.

I agree with this point. If you go on a trip and are associated with a large group (be it a sports team, marching band, etc) you have to realize that you're not exactly an independent entity like you would be if you went to WDW with just your own family. It's all for one and one for all. What's Disney supposed to do... hold a grand inquisition and interview all the teams so that pure justice is done? No - that's for the police to handle.

If two guys that you don't know (who came with mutual friends of yours) start a big fight in your house while you're having a nice holiday party, are you gonna grab an egg nog and watch them - then tell them they're more than welcome to stay as long as they want? Uh no... you're gonna throw their you-know-whats out of your house. :lol:

imamouse

Why would anyone bring one and two year-olds all the way from Hawaii to a Pop Warner tournament :shrug:? I don't care if it is WDW - that's a long flight for infants to endure. If I didn't have anyone to care for the really young children in my absence (grandparents, aunt/uncle, etc), then I would have stayed home with the infants and sent the player with strict instructions to behave. In two-parent households, then one parent would go with the player and the other would stay home with the babies.

KeeKee

The report said that one of the kids went to the hospital with a broken nose just hours before they were all asked to leave. It doesn't sound like they got kicked out for singing too loud in church. This must have been some fight!

If more people had the backbone to enforce rules, there wouldn't be so many delinquents.

Way to go, WDW!

mousefan1972

Yikes. Disney definitley did the right thing. And good for them. Hopefully the Pop Warner teams that go to WDW in the future will be reminded of this incident and the consequences of one's actions, and behave accordingly.

eroyee

Sorry, but I have to agree about the POP warner kids being awful. we actually left WDW, very unhappily, cause of them and the noise and confusion everywhere. they were terrible. that said, I suppose now that Lady in the article is gonna say Tigger was right in the middle of the big fight...wonder if she has video of it...:lol:

Cane27

Hello Everyone- Long time lurker, first post. I coached in Pop Warner this year in the 5-7 year olds, and let me say that teams are strictly a reflection of the coaches and parents. We went up against teams that were well behaved and those that weren't, and lo and behold, the fans were the same way. I'm glad they got the boot.

BTW- Great Forum

PeoplemoverTTA

Let me make one thing VERY clear. When you are down there with a team, or in support of a team, you are there to WORK. You not only represent yourself, but your team, your school, and often times, larger bodies - such as your state (notice how the states were named in the article.)

My high school band performed at Magic Music Days back in 1996 and it was the same. Our band director had been to WDW several times over the years and had a very good reputation with them. We were warned (as were our parents) that if one person acted inappropriately (and that was broadly defined, as it should be in an instance like this) we would immediately be sent home at our parents' expense (imagine what a last minute plane ticket would have cost!).

I was only 15, and I had never been away without my parents. I grew up loving WDW, and back then I only went every 3 or 4 years, so this was extremely special to me and my twin brother (it was nice going together). We never gave our parents trouble anyway, but we knew that we were representing our band director, our school, and our parents, and we wouldn't have even been tempted.

Frankly, I just think it's all about how you were raised (I can't believe I'm old enough to talk about the "good old days!" :eek: --> I'm only 27!). And that also applies to the parents who make excuses about their children's actions and ask for special treatment, despite the terms being outlined before they arrive. Take responsibility for your kids and their actions, people!

When I was an undergrad I worked at a hotel here in Buffalo. We had ______ wee hockey teams stay all the time, and one time the parents were quite drunk and causing a lot of noise late at night, which many guests complained about. When I spoke to the head of the team, he attempted to grab me over the counter and punch me in the face! I was 22, and I was so upset I couldn't come to work for more than a week (I was the manager on duty, and there was no security or anyone to maintain order except myself). I called the police, who immediately evicted the entire team from the hotel.

Both the WDW story and this are similar in that people just cannot accept responsibility for themselves sometimes...certainly examples like these have made me very aware of my actions and how they are perceived by others, particularly when traveling. Sometimes people just forget how to act when they're on vacation, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom