just back, etiquette questions

Swfewrmco

This subject (like many), is something that most people will not agree on. For DH and I (for the most part), if a woman is pregnant, the elderly, a disability, or if the parent(s) have a litter of children, we do offer our seats.

Litter!!! LOVE it! :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I'd agree on most points. I would say (in my best Sam impersonation):

Visibly pregnant? Yes.
Elderly? Yes.
Either gender holding an infant? Yes.
A woman holding an older sleeping child? Yes.

Anything else is wakkie nu nu!

Now let's cook some chickens and come back later.

Evil Genius

What kills me is that people are being so vehement pushing their opinion that they would never give up their seat for a child when the bulk of those on the counter side (I'd go as far as to say ALL over them) are really just stating that getting up and relenquishing a seat isn't EXPECTED...it's merely a common courtesy a simply a nice thing to do.

This isn't just a Disney thing...it's a universal kindness that I'd like to think that adults would pass on to those that may not be able to handle themselves.

If a kid is standing of a bus holding on and managing fine no matter their size then leaving things be makes sense.

But...I...or anyone...were to see a smaller kid being tossed around like a rag doll and a parent unable to properly attend to them due to other small children...over crowded busses...or items such as strollers...then by all means it just makes sense to help accomodate the child.

If a parent can keep a kid on their lap...great! That's what we do. We've often put our children in our laps just to free up seats. Not because it's expected...but as I said...because it's being courteous.

Swfewrmco

But...I...or anyone...were to see a smaller kid being tossed around like a rag doll and a parent unable to properly attend to them due to other small children...over crowded busses...or items such as strollers...then by all means it just makes sense to help accomodate the child.

You ever been on a WDW bus at closing time that had enough room to allow a child to be "tossed around like a rag doll"? The ones I've been on are so packed that my farts get pushed back in.

Stellajack

Premium Member
1.) wife asked a couple sitting on a planter wall. . . if they were saving the spots in front of them for anyone for the upcoming parade,

2.) bus etiquette. . bus spiel over speakers is saying "please make room for elderly, small children, etc"--no one offers a seat. my wife looks at me and says "i am soooooo aggravated". . . not only did he not offer the lady her seat, he also never offered for one of our kids (two of which were sharing the ladies seat). i ended up facing the back of the bus and the father of the college boy never made eye contact the entire ride. . . but never looked at me or my wife who still had to stand.
luckily these were the only things i could find wrong with our trip. had a great trip otherwise!!!!!
mikewdw

I agree w/you about the parade seats for the kids, and the bus seats for your children who were probably about to fall over from fatigue. These little guys should always get a seat.

However, I don't agree with everything in your second point. On each of our trips, I see lots of dads on the buses sandwiching their little ones between their knees to keep them stable for the ride back if no seats are available, BUT, Disney gives priority to handicapped guests on the buses, and ladies who have been touring the parks all day are fully capable of standing for the ride back without it becoming an issue. By the end of the day everyone on the bus needs a place to sit.

NadieMasK2

Can I just say that you should never judge someone as being able-bodied by their appearance regardless of age. No one would know I have a kidney disease that can be quite painful after a long day. I have been on the receiving end of some pretty dirty looks for not giving up my seat for a child. Too bad. I never would have been offended by someone not giving up their seat for my children, if anything I tried to squish them closer to me to allow someone else to sit.

Regarding the old "grumpy" couple yelling at the girl for standing in front of them - they were just doing what the parents already should have done. They were older, had seats and deserve to see the show as much, if not more than the child. Who knows - it may have been their first visit - their "Paradise Falls" that they have been waiting for. Disney isn't just for kids, but the parents who think their kids are entitled to push their way in front of everyone else irritates the heck out of me and is only doing a disservice to the kids by setting a poor example.

stormalong bay

The lack of compassion for fellow human beings is saddening.

" I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their happiness or satisfaction. Yet true happiness comes from a sense of peace and contentment, which in turn must be achieved through the cultivation of altruism, of love and compassion, and elimination of ignorance, selfishness, and greed."

-Dalai Lama

loveofamouse

Personally, as a woman, a SOUTHERN woman, I don't expect anyone to give up a seat to me and would politely pass if someone did. Would I be offended? No. I wouldn't get the impression of implied weakness. I am just a young female that has no issue standing DESPITE being a disabled veteran

Now, if DH and I were sitting, I would hope(make him) at least offer his seat but not to just any wman, but to someone holding a small child or a child under 5-7ish.

Visibly pregnant? yes, and expected
young children HAVING ISSUES STANDING? yes
parent holding toddler or infant? yes

Now, I do NOT think it's fair to make mean remarks about people's strollers. Those parents are only on the bus for a fraction of the day whereas them and the child(ren) are using the stroller all day so I would expect a parent to choose a stroller based on daily use not how other people want to view their stroller on the bus.
People, get over it with the stupid stroller crap. People have strollers. Frankly, I'd rather see a big comfy stroller folded on a bus than a miserable, hot, tired 1yr old stuffed in a $10 umbrella cause no one cared about their comfort. Don't like sitting next to it? get out of your seat and STAND. Just as you can point fingers at rudeness of people expecting big space at parades, its the same for people saying stroller users shouldn't use the bus.

Also, as the parent of a 6, 5, and 2yr old, I woudn't expect anyone to give up a seat for my 6yr old. ____'s fully capable of standing and riding and would enjoy it. My 5yr old, though, is disabled but is able to walk. On quick glance, other than leg braces, he looks like a typical 5yr old, but he would NOT being able to ride standing. I would pick him up and hold him for the ride, but he has a WC so that won't happen. lol.

jmcdougall

i am surprised somewhat at the attitude about children. small children do have a difficult time balancing on a bus like that. that was my concern for our kids.
as for our particular situation we actually thought we would get a seat or we wouldnt have gotten on the bus. my wife was actually the first person to not get a seat. we waited numerous other times as a PP said in order to make sure we got a seat (which we will always do from here on out). she also did not in any way expect a seat (the offer would have be nice but not expected). it was ironic to me that the bus recorded announcements mentioned offering seats to children just as we began trying to juggle two strollers, back packs, and 3 small children and no one offered a seat. i also understand that those men might have some difficulty that was not evident. but statistically the chance is probably really, really, really small that someone with a condition (so severe that it would force them to physically not be able to offer at seat to a child) would have made it in that heat until 2 or 3 in the afternoon before going back to rest.
i know you're not guaranteed a seat, you don't have to take that bus, that they paid just as much for their tickets as we did for our kids, etc, etc, i am just surprised by the fact that people wouldnt be more helpful. i know people have different standards etc but i still think the old fashioned way is better. i normally find DisneyWorld to be the place that brings out the best in people and i am always surprised there when it doesnt. hopefully when it's your kids who don't have a seat, maybe someone who read this post will think about it and offer your kids a seat.
thanks for the opinions,
mikewdw

I have 3 children (26, 21,21) and they have always gotten up for an elderly person or parent with a small child. I am 56 and also will get up for the above mentioned. we have been to disney countless times over the years and this is how I was raised. I do not expect ANYONE to get up and give me their seat but we travel with parents (80s) and I am ashamed of anyone who would not offer their seat to them. Janine

Rob562

Now, I do NOT think it's fair to make mean remarks about people's strollers. Those parents are only on the bus for a fraction of the day whereas them and the child(ren) are using the stroller all day so I would expect a parent to choose a stroller based on daily use not how other people want to view their stroller on the bus.
People, get over it with the stupid stroller crap. People have strollers. Frankly, I'd rather see a big comfy stroller folded on a bus than a miserable, hot, tired 1yr old stuffed in a $10 umbrella cause no one cared about their comfort. Don't like sitting next to it? get out of your seat and STAND. Just as you can point fingers at rudeness of people expecting big space at parades, its the same for people saying stroller users shouldn't use the bus.

Also, as the parent of a 6, 5, and 2yr old, I woudn't expect anyone to give up a seat for my 6yr old. ____'s fully capable of standing and riding and would enjoy it. My 5yr old, though, is disabled but is able to walk. On quick glance, other than leg braces, he looks like a typical 5yr old, but he would NOT being able to ride standing. I would pick him up and hold him for the ride, but he has a WC so that won't happen. lol.

I don't have a problem with bringing the folded strollers onto the bus. It's what they do with them once they're ON the bus that I sometimes have an issue with.

There are a number of ways to stow the strollers (even many of the behemoth ones) so that they don't take up two seats where people could be sitting. On many of the buses, the strollers can be laid down flat on the floor and pushed UNDER the forward-facing seats, into the footspace of the seat. You then sit in the seat, pull your knees up and place your feet on top of the stroller on the floor.
Alternatively, sit in a seat that faces sideways (preferably toward the back) and either put it under the bench, or hold it in front of you during the ride.

I think the truly selfish ones are the parents you see sitting in the sideways-facing seats, with their Hummer-sized stroller taking up the two seats next to them, when there are people standing who should be entitled to sit in a seat before a stroller does. At least the ones who put their stroller on a seat(s) and then *stand* next to it are being semi-considerate... (They got their "allotted" seat by the luck of the draw, and they chose to put their stroller in it rather than themselves)

-Rob

me_stitch

Premium Member
there are plenty of rude people at disney world, I think they just stick out more because I expect people to act like I do when I'm at the happiest place on earth. not even obnoxious people can ruin by trip, I just shake my head and feel sorry for them that their at DW and seem to be miserable and are trying to make others around them feel the same way.

TP2000

Bus etiquette? If people are fit enough to spend all day walking around a theme park, I would think they could handle standing up on the bus ride back to the hotel. First come, first serve, no matter what gender you may have been born with.

Men used to give up seats to ladies on buses and streetcars because women were the weaker gender and might pass out from all the commotion of such a strenous activity. Those days are long past. Heck, they even let women vote now. :eek:

I would think standing up for a few minutes on a bus would be something a healthy adult woman could handle. :confused:

sweetpee_1993

Bus etiquette? If people are fit enough to spend all day walking around a theme park, I would think they could handle standing up on the bus ride back to the hotel. First come, first serve, no matter what gender you may have been born with.

Men used to give up seats to ladies on buses and streetcars because women were the weaker gender and might pass out from all the commotion of such a strenous activity. Those days are long past. Heck, they even let women vote now. :eek:

I would think standing up for a few minutes on a bus would be something a healthy adult woman could handle. :confused:

Too bad there's nothing worth voting for anymore... :hurl:

It's not about not being able to stand on a bus for a few minutes...it's the concept of chivalry. The good ol' days had a lot of these little quirks of kindness and thoughtfulness that just don't exist so much anymore. :hammer:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Too bad there's nothing worth voting for anymore... :hurl:

It's not about not being able to stand on a bus for a few minutes...it's the concept of chivalry. The good ol' days had a lot of these little quirks of kindness and thoughtfulness that just don't exist so much anymore. :hammer:
Chivalry is a "polite" form of sexism.

TP2000

True. But that's because women gave up those courtesies to become equals instead of lesser subservients. It's 2010 and women aren't viewed as fragile, delicate things that need to be coddled and given special treatment, and automatically given seats out of pity even when they were the last person on a crowded theme park bus. Women can run for President instead of just run the switchboard at the fundraiser, and be the CEO of global corporations instead of just take dictation from the boss, and pilot a 747 across the ocean instead of just serve coffee to passengers.

If women are equal to men now, and can do and be anything they want, why do men have to give up their seat on a bus to a perfectly healthy woman? Is an otherwise healthy young woman who got on the bus last still so weak and inferior that she can't stand with the rest of the men on the 10 minute ride back to the hotel? :confused:

Lisalyn

Well it's obvious by reading the last 10 pages of thread that hey...we all don't come from the same time, place or age bracket so we have an abundance of thoughts and opinions.

Being
ex-military (US Army 79-86')...I'm sorry but I'd gladly give my seat up to anyone I saw struggling...doesn't matter age or if they are male or female, young or old - it's called common courtesy. And even if they weren't struggling...whatever happen to respect your elders? Or for that matter common deceny? Part of the problem is that in today's age....many think they are "self entitled" - good luck with that!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom