just back, etiquette questions

Tomi-Rocket

my two cents....

So I decided I just can't sit and say (type?) nothing.

I'm a mom and a person who tries to do the right thing and teach my children this as well. Not sure if there is a "written rule" about this subject, (anyone own a copy of Emily Post's Ettiquette?) but here is what I do. The first time we went with kids they were 8 & 4. When my kids were younger I didn't expect someone to give their seat to my kids, but if it was offered we said thank you. Usually I would just hold my younger one on my lap if he wanted to sit. As they got older, if they were sitting and an elderly, a mom/dad with a baby or a toddler came on I told them to give up their seat to that person. I would also do the same as would my husband. I can't recall anyone being given a seat from one of us who didn't appreciate it either. I don't "baby" my kids as much as I have seen others do. I expect them to be polite at all times, apologize if they bump into someone, even if accidentally, and open the doors for others. I increasingly see that a lot of kids aren't facing the same expectations from their parents though. :shrug:

I also believe people are more and more "all about "me" and not worrying about anyone else. :(

lbrad

"But in the theoretcial situation of a bus full of only able-bodied adults, where some people have to stand, having men give up their seats so all the women can sit would be, in my opinion, a pretty old-fashioned (and not in the good way), sexist way of thinking. (And while you may not personally think of it this way, the practice of giving up your seat is rooted in the thinking that women are less-capable and unable to fend for themselves)."

I call it being a gentleman....If its considered being sexist etc. I am guilty as charged....So if I offer my seat to a woman when I am am on my trip next week. I apoligize now to anyone who maybe offended. Sorry, thats the way I was raised. So if your wife,mother,sister is on the bus with me, you can be sure she can have my seat. Also, I will hold the door for her and pull her chair out. To not do so, would be disrespectful to my parents.

I LIKE YOUR STYLE :sohappy:

Aggie Mom

I thought I'd chime in. I'm a mom with two young children. The last time were in WDW was Dec 2008. I was pregnant and it was my son's fourth birthday. Before that we visited in May 2007, when my son was almost 2.5.

I have never expected anyone to give up a seat to either of us. However, on our last trip, there were many times when people saw us--a pregnant mom of a young kid and a dad loaded down with the stroller, bag of supplies, etc--and offered us a seat. Rarely in my life have I been so grateful for a gesture as when those people offered us those seats, and I was sure to let them know I was appreciative. Luckily, I was about 6 months pregnant and had just enough lap left that my son could sit on it so we could share a seat.

If we were to go to WDW today, the bus scenario would be something like this: husband handling stroller, diaper bag, etc., I would be holding my 15-month-old son, and my now 5yo son would be standing. Would I expect anyone to give up a seat for us? Absolutely not. But at the same time, I don't think the 5yo would have the stability to hang on without bumping into (maybe occasionally falling on) the person sitting nearest him. Since both my hands and my husband's hands would be full, we wouldn't be able to do much to help keep 5yo upright. Again, I do not expect you to give up your seat. Please, though don't get angry if the kiddo bumps you or falls on you at some point. It's not on purpose, and we do the best we can in the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Evil Genius

I thought I'd chime in. I'm a mom with two young children. The last time were in WDW was Dec 2008. I was pregnant and it was my son's fourth birthday. Before that we visited in May 2007, when my son was almost 2.5.

I have never expected anyone to give up a seat to either of us. However, on our last trip, there were many times when people saw us--a pregnant mom of a young kid and a dad loaded down with the stroller, bag of supplies, etc--and offered us a seat. Rarely in my life have I been so grateful for a gesture as when those people offered us those seats, and I was sure to let them know I was appreciative. Luckily, I was about 6 months pregnant and had just enough lap left that my son could sit on it so we could share a seat.

If we were to go to WDW today, the bus scenario would be something like this: husband handling stroller, diaper bag, etc., I would be holding my 15-month-old son, and my now 5yo son would be standing. Would I expect anyone to give up a seat for us? Absolutely not. But at the same time, I don't think the 5yo would have the stability to hang on without bumping into (maybe occasionally falling on) the person sitting nearest him. Since both my hands and my husband's hands would be full, we wouldn't be able to do much to help keep 5yo upright. Again, I do not expect you to give up your seat. Please, though don't get angry if the kiddo bumps you or falls on you at some point. It's not on purpose, and we do the best we can in the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Exactly!

It's not a matter of whether or not the practice is expected...it's just a kind thing to do.

Flower'sChild

Exactly.

Everyone is waiting for a bus just as long as everyone else out there is. Just because a person has a family does not make them more entitled to a seat than I am.

If you really want to sit that badly, wait for the next bus. If the bus is filling up, when you get to the front of the line, let a few groups in front of you so you can be in the front for the next bus.

That being said...my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and I do give up seats to people in need. If someone is holding a baby, trying to juggle around a collapsed stroller and a couple kids, or is holding a sleeping child after a long day at the parks, I would give up my seat(s) to them. I would also give up a seat to an elder person or someone who I can physically tell will have trouble standing.

But I'm not a mind reader...I can't tell if someone has scoliosis or some back/leg/body problem that makes it hard to stand (one of my best friends has major back issues but you can't tell from looking at her). I'm not going to give up my seat and stand just because you look 32 and I'm 22. :shrug:

And it's not because I'm "of the younger generation and I don't have ettiquette." It's because too many people in this country feel entitled to certain things over others.

And personally I think it's rude when a little kid is taking up a seat on a very crowded bus or monorail. If they're small enough to sit on a parents lap then by all means they should!

Yes you are right. If someone really wants to sit down they can wait for the next bus just like I sometimes wait for the next bus so I can have a seat.

There have been a lot of times when I would see that all the seats on the bus are taken and I would have to stand if I get on that bus. So a lot of times I like to wait for the next bus and I will be the first or one of the first ones on the next bus. When the next bus comes I like to go more to the back of the bus since a lot of the seats in the front of the bus say something like this "You must give up these seats to people who need them".

thewhitequeen

I've got a brilliant idea for those who don't want to experience rude people on the bus. HERTZ RENTAL CAR. Voila! Problem Solved.

Fwiw, I think children should be giving up their seats for their elders. I wonder how on earth some of the people here would ever survive on public transportation in a large city like DC. :eek: I suppose the only time they ride the bus is in Disney World. :lol:

janoimagine

WOW ... a lot of interesting opinions here. To me it is simple, whether you have waited ten minutes or a half hour, whether you sit at the front of the bus or the back, if someone else has a greater need than you then give it up. It's just the right thing to do.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
My chauffeur does tell me that public transport is quite bad, but this is Disney people should realise that there are certain standards that must be maintained. I myself regularly carry people on my back.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WOW ... a lot of interesting opinions here. To me it is simple, whether you have waited ten minutes or a half hour, whether you sit at the front of the bus or the back, if someone else has a greater need than you then give it up. It's just the right thing to do.

Right on the money.

However, I think the thing that is causing the dissension here is where the line is drawn for need.

Personally I get up for any mom, any elderly, and any small child.

I do not stand for any teenagers male or female, for anyone who seems to be my age (28) or younger, aside from a mother, or any kids who look capable of standing on their own. My wife is 26, she stands all the time with me, rarely gets offered a seat, and consistently declines when she is offered. She never expects to be offered a seat either.

As far as the parade seating goes. If I have a spot 2 feet from the rope, and am waiting for the parade to start, and a family plops down in front of me, I would be furious. It is one thing for a child to come sit down in front of me, they are small and in no way impede my enjoyment of a parade. But if mom and dad also try to wiggle their way in front of me, that is unacceptable. You want to stand behind me or next to me, thats fine, i'll let the kids get up front, but not the adults. Sorry, having kids does not entitle you to a better view then me.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Seriously? Giving up a seat based solely on gender? Not a chance. If they're elderly, pregnant, or can't reach the bars on the ceiling, I will more than happily give up my seat, but there's NO NO NO reason to give up a seat based solely on gender (or pulling out a chair, or standing when someone enters a room). Holding a door open is something I'll do for anyone, though.

Vernonpush

Yes you are right. If someone really wants to sit down they can wait for the next bus just like I sometimes wait for the next bus so I can have a seat.

There have been a lot of times when I would see that all the seats on the bus are taken and I would have to stand if I get on that bus. So a lot of times I like to wait for the next bus and I will be the first or one of the first ones on the next bus. When the next bus comes I like to go more to the back of the bus since a lot of the seats in the front of the bus say something like this "You must give up these seats to people who need them".

OK, you've waited for the next bus and took a seat in the back. The bus fills and and a pregnant woman holding a toddler is the first person to stand (at the back of the bus) along with her husband who is wrangling a double-stoller, diaper bag, etc. ? Would you give up your seat for the pregnant woman holding the 1 1/2 year old?
:shrug:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Id advise the husband to stow his stroller in the luggage rack to allow him to assist his wife. If shes fit enough to copulate, wander round a theme park and drop a sprog shes fit enough to last a bus trip.

Flower'sChild

OK, you've waited for the next bus and took a seat in the back. The bus fills and and a pregnant woman holding a toddler is the first person to stand (at the back of the bus) along with her husband who is wrangling a double-stoller, diaper bag, etc. ? Would you give up your seat for the pregnant woman holding the 1 1/2 year old?
:shrug:

I am not sure what I would do in this case.

Also those parents made the choice to have their children. I never told those parents that they had to have children. I made the choice to not have children and to not get married.

Also those parents could wait for the next bus. Or they might be able to get a seat in the front of the bus on one of those seats that says something like this "People must give up these seats to people who need them".

LoriMistress

This subject (like many), is something that most people will not agree on. For DH and I (for the most part), if a woman is pregnant, the elderly, a disability, or if the parent(s) have a litter of children, we do offer our seats. However, there are times when it's around midnight and leaving the parks...we're tired. So at times, we don't offer our seats. We've waited in line to ride the bus for at least half hour (there have been a few times we've waited over an hour just to ride the bus).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom