Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

WDW1974

Before this becomes a thread about , I think the only good thing the Hat did was shield the Chinese Theater exterior while they where doing work on the Great Movie Ride. When the ride is running, though, it instead is like sitting behind a tall person at a show/sporting event. You can tell something exciting is in front of you, but you can't see it because the big hat is in the way.

I dunno how I missed this gem of a post (apparently not the only one) ... I guess we could look at the BAH as a giant phallic symbol ... and considering that WDI is really just an old boys club anyway ...:ROFLOL:

Thurp

al100907a.jpg

Bravo! Made me laugh out loud.

You sir win this thread. :king:

KCMO

Assuming it was indeed feasible to move the hat, I would think it would make the most sense thematically a the entrance to Fantasmic. :shrug:

MKCP 1985

this thread has forced me to change my avatar :lol:

Yeah, no kidding.

Disney made the decision to re-name its park "Disney's Hollywood Studios Park." There are only 2 real visual Hollywood Icons - the Hollywood sign (which would look horrible in the middle of the park) and the Chinese Theater, which is already there.

Remove hat. Problem solved.

:lol:

Of course, there IS one other Hollywood icon, but imagine Marilyn Monroe's bust at 200 feet tall! :eek:

Vernonpush

Yeah, no kidding.

Disney made the decision to re-name its park "Disney's Hollywood Studios Park." There are only 2 real visual Hollywood Icons - the Hollywood sign (which would look horrible in the middle of the park) and the Chinese Theater, which is already there.

Remove hat. Problem solved.

:lol:

Of course, there IS one other Hollywood icon, but imagine Marilyn Monroe's bust at 200 feet tall! :eek:
That boggles the mind.

TinkerBell9988

The hat, if they decided to keep it, rather then demolish it and leave it that way, could be moved to the animation courtyard....as a covered entrance for the animation building...or somewhere else in the courtyard to provide shade, or meet n' greet, etc.

The view to the Chinese Theatre would be restored....though perhaps they could add some circular pattern of a fountain where the hat used to be with some flowers, trees, and benches around the theater area so it doesn't become a hot concrete plaza.....also to me...the director statue is like the partner's statue of DHS.....it would be cool with the hat gone, he could be in his own center planter...with the dedication plaque...and instead of him facing us like walt would be....his back would be to us....we're behind him...watching him "film" the chinese theatre....as we walk infront of him....we become "on stage" and are the star once we leave hollywood blvd and enter the realm of the movies.

I really, really love your idea. :D

jt04

The hat, if they decided to keep it, rather then demolish it and leave it that way, could be moved to the animation courtyard....as a covered entrance for the animation building...or somewhere else in the courtyard to provide shade, or meet n' greet, etc.

The view to the Chinese Theatre would be restored....though perhaps they could add some circular pattern of a fountain where the hat used to be with some flowers, trees, and benches around the theater area so it doesn't become a hot concrete plaza.....also to me...the director statue is like the partner's statue of DHS.....it would be cool with the hat gone, he could be in his own center planter...with the dedication plaque...and instead of him facing us like walt would be....his back would be to us....we're behind him...watching him "film" the chinese theatre....as we walk infront of him....we become "on stage" and are the star once we leave hollywood blvd and enter the realm of the movies.

2vinwoo.jpg

I didn't see this at first until I saw it above. I agree, this is excellent! The hat works by the animation building too. Great!

comics101

The hat is still there because Studios management isn't ready to move it.
All involved at WDI have always seen the hat as temporary, and just like with the wand, they underestimated management's idea of temporary.

All said...it's closer to it's end than it's beginning.

Does this mean WDI's learned their lesson (sometimes managment just sucks) and next time they build something "temporary" they'll be sure to make it fit with the themeing of the park?

techiegsy

I think that's perfect, not only is it a tribute to a great man but it also fits in with the theming, and wouldn't block the view. Then all we do it make a bigger water tower, if they really want a tall icon, and we're sorted. I don't think it would work to well in front of fantasmic because it may detract from the theming a bit? I dunno...

I at least like to think of myself as one of the relative n00bs who "gets it", but sadly yes, I know most of my "old Disney" only through the films et al. However, I've found that I've learned and found out much more about what Disney quality should essentially be from the members on these boards more than any other source. Not to mention all of the content regarding looks back at park history, especially Epcot, have helped to jog my memory and remind me of all the Disney Company was doing right in the later part of last century. Case in point: my first WDW vacation was in '94, and thanks to all the retro coverage, the memories came flooding back of my first-ever steam train ride which started my love for "ferroequinology"... all those trips I took on World of Motion ... but more broadly, the true sense of wonder I had for everything in the World.

And yes, sometimes I do wonder if my childhood views of the place ended up a bit rose-coloured in hindsight. But, like many on here it seems... what I wouldn't give to find out for sure. :eek:

// Still loves Hidden Mickeys

Agreed, I still expect a high disney quality, not much of the recent stuff has met it, look at SSC, I expected a show for a full age range, or at least to a teen ager, but nope. Got a movie and a dancing stich, Isn't that somewhere else nearby aswell?

Figment632

If they move the hat something needs to take it's place. It would look very weird with the space barren I like and earlier persons idea to put on a nice fountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom