Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

dxwwf3

Disney has conditioned/developed/nurtured a whole set of fans who are diametrically opposed to those of us who were conditioned/developed/nurtured from say 1955-1996 (or so).

What the 'new' group of fans believe is Disney quality is something very different from what the rest of us grew up with. It's sad that even the newbies who do get it only know 'old Disney' from DVDs, pics, our accounts ... oh ... and pins and retro merchandise.

'New' fans think Disney is about giant cartoon hats, character meals everwhere, Hidden Mickeys, pin lanyards etc ... Al Lutz has called them Defenders of Mediocrity and I'd largely agree.

:sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

Well now that they've ripped pu the backlot tour to a spectacular degree, I think moving the tower might not be such a bad idea, if such a thing were even possible. I'm not sure it is.
Wreck it and build a new one. :lol: Done.

Again, just go back to the post I pulled from Micechat.

Disney has conditioned/developed/nurtured a whole set of fans who are diametrically opposed to those of us who were conditioned/developed/nurtured from say 1955-1996 (or so).

What the 'new' group of fans believe is Disney quality is something very different from what the rest of us grew up with. It's sad that even the newbies who do get it only know 'old Disney' from DVDs, pics, our accounts ... oh ... and pins and retro merchandise.

'New' fans think Disney is about giant cartoon hats, character meals everwhere, Hidden Mickeys, pin lanyards etc ... Al Lutz has called them Defenders of Mediocrity and I'd largely agree.
And we have a whole slew of them here.

Nothing wrong with enjoying Hidden Mickeys, collecting pins, or my Mickey Santa Ears that I wear at the parks during the holidays. Not all marketing schemes are bad ones.
There is nothing wrong with that. It's the mediocrity that comes WITH it that's wrong.

It's the loss of the individual experience unique to every Disney park that's wrong. An example? Just look at the Tokyo Disney ad that EpcotServo posted versus ours.

HMF

And does anyone remember what the symbol of Al Lutz's DOM club was?

WDW1974

I think a water tower in the center of the park would look kind of dumb. And I also think that The Hat is too large for an Animation Courtyard Weenie or for the entrance of the park. The Hat looks fine and IMO would be fine if they were to just get rid of the Pin Station underneath. There is no reason The Hat needs to be anything besides The Hat.

The hat looks like crap where it is and completely clashes with the style and look of Hollywood Blvd. Whether you (or anyone) likes it isn't relevant to that discussion.

It has no business being there. It does RUIN the whole scale, look and feel of the park. It dumbs it down.

Nothing wrong with enjoying Hidden Mickeys, collecting pins, or my Mickey Santa Ears that I wear at the parks during the holidays. Not all marketing schemes are bad ones.

There's nothing inately wrong with any of it, you're quite right.

But when that becomes what WDW is all about for everyone, it becomes a lesser product for everyone (even if they don't/can't/won't realize it).

It's kind of like the BAH. There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself.
But sticking it in front of the Chinese Theater would be like putting a Super WalMart on Rodeo Drive.

Disney has been dumbing down its product and conditioning people that the world-famous Disney quality is something far less than it was for the first four decades of Disney theme parks.

And when you, or anyone, defends something like the BAH ... well, it again showcases how well they've done.

Dropping turds into major locales of Disney parks whether they are wands on SSE, hat/pinshacks at Studios, Aladdin carnie spinners at MK or Dinorama at DAK doesn't change the fact they stink whether some people enjoy the odors or not. We all are subjected to the funk.

Vernonpush

No. Since the wand is gone I was thinking that Epcot need a little more Pizzazzzzzz, so put it on top of SSE!:D
Epcotstudios.jpg

Done that, been there. :lol:

MKCP 1985

Did I miss the post where somebody explained what a big Fantasia sorceror's hat has to do with "Disney's Hollywood Studios Park?"

Seriously, a prop from an individual segment of one of many Disney classics - that hat could be erased and replaced with any number of things and in 10 years' time nobody would remember why it was ever there to begin with.

"I think it was to show people where to buy pins."

"No, it was to remind people of Mickey Mouse's biggest starring role in a Disney feature film."

"No, they have the segment in Great Movie Ride for that - the hat was to provide a shady spot for character appearances."

"No, the characters never stood in the shade of the hat. I think it was to show the entrance to a show they used to have there where Mickey Mouse wore the hat - SpectroMagic."

:lol::lol::lol:

Expo_Seeker40

The hat, if they decided to keep it, rather then demolish it and leave it that way, could be moved to the animation courtyard....as a covered entrance for the animation building...or somewhere else in the courtyard to provide shade, or meet n' greet, etc.

The view to the Chinese Theatre would be restored....though perhaps they could add some circular pattern of a fountain where the hat used to be with some flowers, trees, and benches around the theater area so it doesn't become a hot concrete plaza.....also to me...the director statue is like the partner's statue of DHS.....it would be cool with the hat gone, he could be in his own center planter...with the dedication plaque...and instead of him facing us like walt would be....his back would be to us....we're behind him...watching him "film" the chinese theatre....as we walk infront of him....we become "on stage" and are the star once we leave hollywood blvd and enter the realm of the movies.

2vinwoo.jpg

dandaman

I at least like to think of myself as one of the relative n00bs who "gets it", but sadly yes, I know most of my "old Disney" only through the films et al. However, I've found that I've learned and found out much more about what Disney quality should essentially be from the members on these boards more than any other source. Not to mention all of the content regarding looks back at park history, especially Epcot, have helped to jog my memory and remind me of all the Disney Company was doing right in the later part of last century. Case in point: my first WDW vacation was in '94, and thanks to all the retro coverage, the memories came flooding back of my first-ever steam train ride which started my love for "ferroequinology"... all those trips I took on World of Motion ... but more broadly, the true sense of wonder I had for everything in the World.

And yes, sometimes I do wonder if my childhood views of the place ended up a bit rose-coloured in hindsight. But, like many on here it seems... what I wouldn't give to find out for sure. :eek:

// Still loves Hidden Mickeys

EPCOT Explorer

I Not to mention all of the content regarding looks back at park history, especially Epcot, have helped to jog my memory and remind me of all the Disney Company was doing right in the later part of last century.

The memories came flooding back of my first-ever steam train ride which started my love for "ferroequinology"... all those trips I took on World of Motion ... but more broadly, the true sense of wonder I had for everything in the World.

And yes, sometimes I do wonder if my childhood views of the place ended up a bit rose-coloured in hindsight. But, like many on here it seems... what I wouldn't give to find out for sure. :eek:

// Still loves Hidden Mickeys

EXACTLY!:D I do strangely remember most details and most of the rides I went on, back in January of 1993, but most of all, it's that feeling you talk about. In hindsight, it's that feeling they created THEN, that makes us love the Disney of NOW. I wonder and hope they still create that for their current guests.

protiius

I would personally like to see the hat gone, maybe moved to the backlot tour, but i think the park would be missing an iconic centre...i would like to see them build a larger water tower in the park...since my childhood that has always been the icon of the studios, but it has slowly been dwarfed by the hollywood tower etc...i think that having a giant version of it would be a sympathetic addition to the park...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom