Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Mr.EPCOT

On the Disney site, the Sun Fountain is regarded as the park's icon. It's used as the label for DCA on the crowd calendar and for attractions, the other 5 stateside parks use their park icons so it's safe to assume that the Sun Fountain is the park icon for now.

The giant golden hubcap isn't going to going to be around for much longer.

HMF

On the Disney site, the Sun Fountain is regarded as the park's icon. It's used as the label for DCA on the crowd calendar and for attractions, the other 5 stateside parks use their park icons so it's safe to assume that the Sun Fountain is the park icon for now. However, I recognize on other promotional materials Grizzly Peak is used as the icon, so I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to convince anyone otherwise.
According to most Disney Materials I have seen Grizzly Peak is designated as the Park Icon. It's even in the original logo
logo2.jpg

Of course since the park failed so miserably the current logo is a lot less bold
4477_logo2.gif

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
According to most Disney Materials I have seen Grizzly Peak is designated as the Park Icon. It's even in the original logo
logo2.jpg

Of course since the park failed so miserably the current logo is a lot less bold
4477_logo2.gif

Isn't that Grizzly Peak IN FRONT OF the Sun Fountain?

EPCOT Explorer

logo2.jpg

4477_logo2.gif

I had always liked that Logo. Shame it's going away.

HMF

I just had an observation. Most of the people who "like" the hat seem to be coming from a somewhat younger crowd who likes things like the Year of a Million Dreams and such. What happens to the Disney Parks if todays guests accept mediocrity. I am worried that the Magic won't be the same for future generations.

EpcotServo

I just had an observation. Most of the people who "like" the hat seem to be coming from a somewhat younger crowd who likes things like the Year of a Million Dreams and such. What happens to the Disney Parks if todays guests accept mediocrity. I am worried that the Magic won't be the same for future generations.

If you're listening to this...*dramatic look* you are the resistance.

Orange Bird

Jacobsen is fine. As '74 said, he's done much more good than bad.

Good:
Great Movie Ride

Bad:
The Hat
The Wand
Journey into YOUR Imagination
Tiki Room Under New Management
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
Sounds Dangerous
O' Canada (with Martin Short)
The unfinished refurbishment of SpaceShip Earth

Toss-up:
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Grand Fiesta Tour

Lifted from Another Park:
Soarin'
Lights, Motors Action

...just my opinion. Jacobson has done more bad than good...and a lot of good people have been laid off while he gets to keep a huge paycheck.

Testtrack321

Good:
Great Movie Ride

Bad:
The Hat
The Wand
Journey into YOUR Imagination
Tiki Room Under New Management
Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
Sounds Dangerous
O' Canada (with Martin Short)
The unfinished refurbishment of SpaceShip Earth

Toss-up:
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Grand Fiesta Tour

Lifted from Another Park:
Soarin'
Lights, Motors Action

...just my opinion. Jacobson has done more bad than good...and a lot of good people have been laid off while he gets to keep a huge paycheck.

Lets get something right, we don't like the placement of the Hat. The Hat itself is quite nice, it's just a poor location with no value besides to push pins. The wand was nice for 15 months, but was a joke after that. It couldn't stand on it's own.

And Monster's Inc got a bad rap since it replaced Timekeeper, if that was placed in a new building people would love it. I've had many great times at that show.

The Conundrum

Lets get something right, we don't like the placement of the Hat. The Hat itself is quite nice, it's just a poor location with no value besides to push pins. The wand was nice for 15 months, but was a joke after that. It couldn't stand on it's own.

The wand was hideous, just as leave a legacy is hideous. The hat itself is not nice and is just an eleborate pin shop.

And Monster's Inc got a bad rap since it replaced Timekeeper, if that was placed in a new building people would love it.

False, a bad attraction is a bad attraction.

Orange Bird

I don't actually think Eric is a bad guy. But he has been the lead Art Director and main creative lead for WDW since 1994 (except for Animal Kingdom, that's Joe Rohde). He has bee a Tom Fitzgerald yes-man for all that time. He could have stood up to Tom, like Joe Rohde did at Animal Kingdom, Tony Baxter did at Disneyland, and Joe Lanzisero did at Tokyo Disneyland. But he did not. Eric does what he is told, he does not stand up for what is right. He knows not to mix stripes with plaids and he knows what color compliments John Hench purple, but he does not lead.

He was given his high position because he always does what he is told. This includes shifting blame to people he bosses don't like when his projects prove to be failures.

Figment632

The hat needs to go but I hope they dont destroy it, Im sure it could be put somewhere in DTD because it is pretty cool just not in its current location.

DisneyMusician2

And Monster's Inc got a bad rap since it replaced Timekeeper, if that was placed in a new building people would love it. I've had many great times at that show.

I'd have to agree with you on this one.

Most things replacing Timekeeper would have been hit hard. But I've been to some shows that were quite funny.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The sad thing is the BAH has become a symbol (more so than the wand, perhaps) of the WalMarting and dumbing down of the Disney theme park product into something much less than what it should be ... what it used to be. The defending (which again thankfully seems much less than what it was a few years ago) of decisions like that are simply because of the way Disney has conditioned a new generation of guests to this lower quality product.

I usually let my own words speak for themselves, but a Micechat poster 'Another Voice' recently posted what I am going to quote below in a thread about why and how you get a DCA vs. a DisneySea. What that basic mentality is that allows that ... a fascinating discussion and one I think summed up by the fact something like that hat could exist in the place and state it does.

"A company will attract customers that want the product that it offers.

For more than a decade Disney in the United States has offered nothing but "lifestyle branding" - trying to convince people that simply buying "Disney" goods will make their life "magical". It's the same idea behind Nike (you'll be a better athlete in our shoes), Apple (you're a cooler person when you listen to an iPod), Porsche (your, …er, anatomy is bigger in our cars).

People simply wanting a good vacation or people looking for the traditional Disney “your fantasies come to life” have been left out. And so they’ve simply stopped going. They have been replaced by people who have “fallen” for the new Disney.

People who think that surrounding themselves with “Mickey Mouse” will make them happy don’t have any interest in a place like DisneySea. The Tokyo parks (at least for the time being) continue to focus on universal wants and desires – the desire for great adventure, the desire to enter imaginary worlds and experience them for one’s own self, the desire to see other places and other times.

The new Disney is second hand. It’s self esteem by association. ‘High School Musical’ is cool, I like ‘High School Musical’, therefore I am cool. I feel magical at WDW, so if I buy a Disney Vacation Club membership I can escape my real live more often to feel magical. I’m a better person than you because I joined D23 and bought an eight hundred dollar pen to show how much of Disney fan I am.

This affirmation by credit card has ruined the U.S. parks. I pray to the gods that Tokyo stops this trend and remains true."

Thank you for putting into words what I had been thinking about for a while but couldn't figure out how to say. Disney's audience in the U.S. these days is not the ones that we grew up with 20-30 years ago. I am tired of hearing that the wand and hat are "more Disney" than without them. Clearly they don't know Walt as well as they think, and they say "it all started with a mouse" but Walt didn't put Mickey everywhere. He designed an entire city plan that had nothing to do with any of his cartoons.

That's why I said that for several reasons, a park like DisneySea would not be well received if it was built the same way here as it is in Tokyo. The pixie dust people wouldn't understand it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom