Hyperion Wharf Begins

Buried20KLeague

And like the poster above me said, I have never run into anyone saying "man, I can't wait to hit the clubs at WDW"!!

That's kind of the point.

People USED to make going to PI an active part of the their vacation. With the New Year's celebration every night, and the unique experiences offered (and not just at the AC... Most of the clubs at PI had SOMETHING about them that made them more than just what you would find at home) PI was akin to an after hours theme park for adults.

When that all started to change for reasons discussed over and over here, options started getting slim.

If you didn't go to THAT version of PI... The FIRST version of PI... Then I can understand why you might think it folly for adults to care that it's gone, and why you might think the idea of including some drinks and a bar at Disney is trying to "fit a round peg in a square hole". But it wasn't that way.

Aside from that... You seem to question why anyone feels they need to have a drink on a Disney vacation. And basically that's none of your business. Like you said, it's just a difference of opinion. Just like I don't have a right to tell you that you shouldn't eat steak while on vacation. Or something to that effect. You do what makes you happy, and others will do the same. And I think it's fairly easy to see that Disney tries to cater to both viewpoints, which they SHOULD do... Albeit now they cater more heavily to one than the other.

devoy1701

Seriously though, If you don't like drinking or going to clubs, no big deal, you don't have to go, but plenty of people do and want to be able to do it in places that aren't swarming with children...even parents....and even if they are at Walt Disney World... :eek:

No reason parents (or adults without kids who just want to have some adult fun) can't have a night to themselves while they are on a family vacation...

jakeman

We hit Cape May's clambake in between, but yeah, that's exactly the plan. :D
You know, when we drink around the world (all 1.5 times we done it), we usually base our meals around, "What would we not mind potentially throwing up later?"

Given that the wife and I aren't very heavy drinkers (we routinely throw portions of six packs away), drinking around the world is an all day affair for us and we are usually feeling pretty good after that.

fyn

I'm not judging anyone, I'm trying to understand the need to drink at Disney World. Not so much DTD, but Epcot and such.

I'll take this statement as an honest desire to understand, and try to address it succinctly. For the vast majority of people that choose to enjoy alcoholic beverages, it's not a need, but a desire. Some people enjoy taste, the buzz, the experience, perhaps all of it. But, I think, the key thing to understand is that it's not a need like you describe. Some people enjoy alcohol, and they feel it adds to their vacation (or whatever) experience. It's that simple.

Wilt Dasney

I'll take this statement as an honest desire to understand, try to address it succinctly. For the vast majority of people that choose to enjoy alcoholic beverages, it's not a need, but a desire. Some people enjoy taste, the buzz, the experience, perhaps all of it. But, I think, the key thing to understand is that it's not a need like you describe. Some people enjoy alcohol, and they feel it adds to their vacation (or whatever) experience. It's that simple.
Precisely. When it comes down to it, there are very few things people need. Food, clothes, a place to get out of the cold. But very few people willingly live a life that only consists of those things. We all do things we don't need to do (e.g., gathering on message boards and taking expensive vacations to theme parks)...and the simplest explanation of why is that we enjoy those things!

Krack

I'm not judging anyone, I'm trying to understand the need to drink at Disney World.

You might get a better understanding if you focused less on insulting people and more on listening to the explanations several people have supplied you. In short, they are all some variation of "I don't need to drink but going to adults-only night clubs, having a drink, possibly dancing and meeting other adults is an activity many people enjoy doing."

I don't like parades, but you don't see me asking over and over and over again (and ignoring the answers) why other people need to sit down an hour before one starts to get a good seat.

tirian

This thread has become my favorite thing to read on the toilet. It's more entertaining than PI was in its final years.

Loopy reading for the loo!

jonty666

Not often I post, but feel compelled too here. Basically I've just read at least 7 pages of a non drinker criticising people who like to have a drink whilst they are on their vacation. Whether it be in Disney or not does it really matter?

lebeau

Not often I post, but feel compelled too here. Basically I've just read at least 7 pages of a non drinker criticising people who like to have a drink whilst they are on their vacation. Whether it be in Disney or not does it really matter?

Yeah, he managed to be the most overbearing opinion in a thread started by jt. :eek:

RSoxNo1

:lookaroun

I expect mass apologies when construction starts where the giant putting green is.

How many days until the D23 Expo?

It can't come soon enough. With my next Disney World trip far from set in stone, and the likelihood that I won't be going to DL in 2012, I'm definitely looking forward to the D23 Expo as my Disney fix for what may be over a year.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
:lookaroun

I expect mass apologies when construction starts where the giant putting green is.

How many days until the D23 Expo?

Well, when they start building those four restaurants you said are coming, maybe I will.....

jt04

Original Poster
What exactly are you predicting?

Exactly what you see in the artwork accouting for the usual tweaking. Two new eateries and several small shops plus all the eye candy. No idea what will become of the AC complex. They seemed to hint there would be more announcements in the future.

One thing worries me though. It is possible Disney is retreating into its shell just like they did in 2007. Could be they are anticipating a double dip. In which case all bets are off for a few more years on capital spending. I am trying to remain optimistic. :lookaroun

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Exactly what you see in the artwork accouting for the usual tweaking. Two new eateries and several small shops plus all the eye candy. No idea what will become of the AC complex. They seemed to hint there would be more announcements in the future.

One thing worries me though. It is possible Disney is retreating into its shell just like they did in 2007. Could be they are anticipating a double dip. In which case all bets are off for a few more years on capital spending. I am trying to remain optimistic. :lookaroun

Nice hedge. Goes well with all that grass.

jt04

Original Poster
No kidding!

On the upside, maybe that means I can take my waffle stand business into Hyperion Wharf and make a killing!

Trust me, if done right it would make a killing. Seriously. Huge profit margins and long lines every hour of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom