Hyperion Wharf Begins

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well part of the reason why disney has the vault, they want their $20 - $30 for their movies instead of $5 - $10.

Which from a business standpoint is pretty ingenious. Keep demand high by limiting supply thereby increasing the price.

I think they borrowed this strategy from a couple of other markets in order to be able to manipulate the pricing. Good for the company...bad for the consumer.

flavious27

Which from a business standpoint is pretty ingenious. Keep demand high by limiting supply thereby increasing the price.

I think they borrowed this strategy from a couple of other markets in order to be able to manipulate the pricing. Good for the company...bad for the consumer.

Da, and it is a mini event whenever disney puts a movie into the movie and when they release a newer version when the movie is released from the vault.

Well anything that keeps the price higher is bad for the customer. at the same time, it sucks if you buy a movie at $30 and see it 2 years later cast off into the bargain bin at wal mart. Disney does help with the price for the customer through their movie club.

As long as disney stops making pos like the Beverly Hills Chihuahua and air bud series, customers will associate value with the vault.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You know, JT, you should really enable Private Messaging. There are some things that should not be discussed in public. :wave:

Buried20KLeague

Once again, let me explain how this works:

TWDC has $300 million to spend. They have a choice to make (and don't argue that each division has their own budget. Green-lighting projects on this scale are decisions made at the top). TWDC's choice is this: They can either build a new E-Ticket for DAK or finance a PoTC 5 (movie).

The E-Ticket will bring in anywhere from 10-20% greater attendance per annum and maybe -- maybe -- $100 million in ticket sales over 5 years.

or

The movie will bring in $500 million at the B.O. in six months plus $150 million in video sales, syndication rights, merchandising AND curiosity to the PoTC attractions, which will in turn spike attendance at the Disney theme parks.

Now, you're sitting in CEO's chair and you have a choice to make:

A) Movie with immediate payoff or E-Ticket with slow return factor?

B) Cruise ship which pays for itself in the first 36 months or an E-Ticket that will take the better part of a decade?

C) A new park in a burgeoning country with the world's largest population, or a little old E-Ticket to satisfy the disgruntled armchair Imagineers?

There is a correct answer here, folks, and it's not the E-Ticket. I'm like many of you. I can envision a thousand wondrous lands, rides, shows, etc. in a massive Grand Re-Opening redux of WDW. But it's not an intelligent business decision for a company that has so many other aspects to consider that most of you, for whatever reason, are choosing to ignore. You may spend hours a day on this discussion board typing out your wanton fantasies. TWDC has a few more things to worry about than renovating WoL or UoE. And if their nonchalance offends you, there are several lesser amusement attempts right up the I-4. Go. Please. TWDC won't miss you. Their numbers prove it.

Your argument is about decisions at a higher level of the company than I believe most of us are concerned with.

As a whole, I believe most of us are happy with what TWDC has been doing.

You need to be thinking a level below what you're arguing about. You're right that TDO probably doesn't have a say in large project like the FL expansion. Which, by the way, is probably good... Chances are it wouldn't have happened otherwise.

My problem, which is probably shared by others here, isn't that they need to be loading up every park with an E-ticket, as you seem to assume (which shows me you really don't pay attention to what many people here actually say). My problem is that TDO seems to have begun, a number of years ago now, to live by a balancing act of just barely doing enough to keep the crowds there, as opposed to exceeding expectations as they had for so long. It's gotten to the point where the only way they've been able to keep bookings at the level they desire is to discount the heck out of trips for the general public. The fiscal reports a couple quarters ago clearly showed that (I didn't really see last quarter's). TDO treats WDW like the goose that layed the golden egg. They bleed it (and their customers) for every last penny, only putting back into it the bare minimum as far as updates and upkeep. They seem to live by the motto "if the casual guest won't notice, then don't do it". Magnifying the problem is the resort on the West Coast. DL doesn't just do the bare minimum. DL exceeds. And I'm not even talking about the DCA stuff... That came from the top. I'm talking about how TDA treats the resort. And argue if you like that they MUST do this kind of thing because it's a largely local clientele... But that's unimportant to me. It still comes down to seeing how things SHOULD be run, vs. what we get at WDW. Go visit any other Disney park in the world (as I have), and it only magnifies it even more.

Now... I don't hate WDW. I still take my family there. Because they still get a lot right. But the fact of the matter is, they've been resting on their laurels, weighing the golden eggs from the goose, and using those eggs to fund everything else, while not taking care of the goose. And while they've been doing that, they've allowed the opposition up I-4 to close the gap. And for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to phase them... At least not that we've seen thus far. That's scary.

It's not all "doom and gloom" :)rolleyes:) though. I think the new ques are fine, as an example. But there's a TON that DOES signify a real problem:

The yeti
F! cutbacks
Space Mountain failed refurb
Large pyro shell cutbacks
Needing deep discounts to keep crowds (which Iger himself said was a huge problem)
The imagination pavillion and what it's become
Prime real-estate in MK stuttered with no replacement
Countless effects left broken on countless attractions
SSE descent
Merch homogination
DDP and its effect on menus
DDP value cutback

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure others could make that list a LOT longer. But notice, if you would... None of what I listed above says anything about needing an E-ticket. None of what I listed above requires approval from a level like you suggest. All of what's listed above is squarely on the shoulders of TDO.

lebeau

^^^^^^^^^^^^

:sohappy:

Edit: I really wish this had made it on the same page as the previous post. Anyway, bravo Buried20KLeague!

menamechris

My problem, which is probably shared by others here, isn't that they need to be loading up every park with an E-ticket, as you seem to assume (which shows me you really don't pay attention to what many people here actually say). My problem is that TDO seems to have begun, a number of years ago now, to live by a balancing act of just barely doing enough to keep the crowds there, as opposed to exceeding expectations as they had for so long. It's gotten to the point where the only way they've been able to keep bookings at the level they desire is to discount the heck out of trips for the general public. The fiscal reports a couple quarters ago clearly showed that (I didn't really see last quarter's). TDO treats WDW like the goose that layed the golden egg. They bleed it (and their customers) for every last penny, only putting back into it the bare minimum as far as updates and upkeep. They seem to live by the motto "if the casual guest won't notice, then don't do it". Magnifying the problem is the resort on the West Coast. DL doesn't just do the bare minimum. DL exceeds. And I'm not even talking about the DCA stuff... That came from the top. I'm talking about how TDA treats the resort. And argue if you like that they MUST do this kind of thing because it's a largely local clientele... But that's unimportant to me. It still comes down to seeing how things SHOULD be run, vs. what we get at WDW. Go visit any other Disney park in the world (as I have), and it only magnifies it even more.

This was perfectly said. :sohappy:

And as someone who has seen firsthand the scaling back of offerings and increased "nickel-and-diming" throughout the resort, I am glad someone has brought these points up. Many locals in Central Florida go to WDW frequently. However, TDO knows that if we are not particularly pleased with a park, we simply park hop. On a typical Saturday afternoon, we can be in and out of HS in an hour. The only way we are there longer than that is if we decide to wait 90 minutes for Toy Story (ridiculous!). So we go do the couple rides at HS that are there, and then hop over to another park to actually fill the rest of our day. Because we have other park options, I have to admit I am not as vocal about my disappointment in one or two of them. Management knows this and takes advantage of it. Rather than maximizing each park's potential, they look at ways they can trim it to the bare minimum, as you said. The average guest will be spending so much time in line (often because there are so few lines to be in), that it feels like a full-day park. When in actuality, you went on the same number of rides as in there are in one land in MK.

71jason

H Wharf is what she was obviously referring to...

BTW...it still is a cool place to hang out, I know that a number of major ADVClub fans still frequent the area, they really enjoyed the hodown throwdown

Hoedown Throwdown long gone, down to a really crappy singer with a guitar (nowhere near the two regulars at Finns in Universal) and a lip-synching boy band wannabe. Celebrate Tonight was Disney-paid Equity performers, new acts are outsourced to a third party. See the pattern?

wilsonhanks

Hoedown Throwdown long gone, down to a really crappy singer with a guitar (nowhere near the two regulars at Finns in Universal) and a lip-synching boy band wannabe. Celebrate Tonight was Disney-paid Equity performers, new acts are outsourced to a third party. See the pattern?

I see that the area is way to crowded for me to enjoy...I would rather hang out in a place I could actually have some breathing room, that is why I frequents the resorts over DTD as a whole....

The dumb entertainers make traffic jams... totally retarded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom